Thread: How to add & edit names in the game's index

Icon3 How to add & edit names in the game's index

Hello, I was minding my own business when I decided that after the generals rec enable mods, all my generals seem to be limited within 4-5 surnames\families. Which I don't like because I want some unique characters in game. So I tried to add more names and surnames to the game. Since I couldn't find any tutorials on this -not so big issue- i decided to share my thoughts hoping someone will come up with a comprehensive names index later on (I only play uesugi date and shimazu so I only bothered with them)

ok so firstly, you need to open pfm or the new official assembly kit (if it has such features) and extract
    a. local_en_patch.pack > text > db > names.loc (if it's not there don't get frustrated! try local_en.pack)
    and
    b. data > db > names_tables

Alright, if you view quickly these 2 items you will see that names.loc contains a bunch of names that are given to the major families (exclusive surnames and names) names that are given to the minor families (global names for everyone and surnames for non major clans)

note that Hattori are different since they borrow names from everywhere in the index, even ROTS names.

The issue here is that we cannot know which names are forenames and which are surnames, unless ofc you are Japanese.

The names_tables fixes that issue for us, since the educated creator of PFM has included the names of the columns, where we can see that some attributes are for surnames, forenames, feminine and masculine names and also how often these names occur.

So, create a new .pack from PFM and call it more_names (or whatever) add the extracted files (with their directories) rename the files into more_names and then open word or text editor. The reason is because you will have to remember all names you have added and start thinking of names. I used wiki to find real surnames and forenames of contemporary retainers. For the sake of this example, let's use Chisaka, an Uesugi retainer.

After you have written down your new names and the clans that you want them to appear at, go to names_tables and have your columns in arithmetic order according to the very last column, the ID. Take the largest number, add a new row and place it there, then increase it by 2 or 3 in the end.

Go to the beginning, under names_groups add names_uesugi (name of major clan, or Japanese for universal)
    under name add Chisaka (or any name you want)
    under type add surname (or forename when you have to)
    under gender add b (b = both when it's for surnames, for forenames add m = male, f = female)
    under frequency add 0 or 1 according to how regular you want it to appear. Surnames are usually 1 and forenames 0
    nobility always add False

Now, go to your .loc item and add new row. write down names_name_names_uesugiChisaka (or any other clan name and name you want) Tick the box next to it. save you .pack and throw it into the data folder. Check the attached pic to see the new name on my general!

You may have noticed that some names, for example Kagetsugu is available as a universal name but he was mostly related with the Uesugi. All you have to do if this bothers you is to change _japanese into _uesugi in both files and your name will appear.

Needless to say that the same procedure is available for adding agents names.

I hope this tiny piece of info can help make your game a bit more fun. You can add you own names or your friends

Default Re: How to add & edit names in the game's index

Quote Originally Posted by prayingmantis View Post
    Hello, I was minding my own business when I decided that after the generals rec enable mods, all my generals seem to be limited within 4-5 surnames\families. Which I don't like because I want some unique characters in game. So I tried to add more names and surnames to the game. Since I couldn't find any tutorials on this -not so big issue- i decided to share my thoughts hoping someone will come up with a comprehensive names index later on (I only play uesugi date and shimazu so I only bothered with them)

ok so firstly, you need to open pfm or the new official assembly kit (if it has such features) and extract
    a. local_en_patch.pack > text > db > names.loc (if it's not there don't get frustrated! try local_en.pack)
    and
    b. data > db > names_tables

Alright, if you view quickly these 2 items you will see that names.loc contains a bunch of names that are given to the major families (exclusive surnames and names) names that are given to the minor families (global names for everyone and surnames for non major clans)

note that Hattori are different since they borrow names from everywhere in the index, even ROTS names.

The issue here is that we cannot know which names are forenames and which are surnames, unless ofc you are Japanese.

The names_tables fixes that issue for us, since the educated creator of PFM has included the names of the columns, where we can see that some attributes are for surnames, forenames, feminine and masculine names and also how often these names occur.

So, create a new .pack from PFM and call it more_names (or whatever) add the extracted files (with their directories) rename the files into more_names and then open word or text editor. The reason is because you will have to remember all names you have added and start thinking of names. I used wiki to find real surnames and forenames of contemporary retainers. For the sake of this example, let's use Chisaka, an Uesugi retainer.

After you have written down your new names and the clans that you want them to appear at, go to names_tables and have your columns in arithmetic order according to the very last column, the ID. Take the largest number, add a new row and place it there, then increase it by 2 or 3 in the end.

Go to the beginning, under names_groups add names_uesugi (name of major clan, or Japanese for universal)
    under name add Chisaka (or any name you want)
    under type add surname (or forename when you have to)
    under gender add b (b = both when it's for surnames, for forenames add m = male, f = female)
    under frequency add 0 or 1 according to how regular you want it to appear. Surnames are usually 1 and forenames 0
    nobility always add False

Now, go to your .loc item and add new row. write down names_name_names_uesugiChisaka (or any other clan name and name you want) Tick the box next to it. save you .pack and throw it into the data folder. Check the attached pic to see the new name on my general!

You may have noticed that some names, for example Kagetsugu is available as a universal name but he was mostly related with the Uesugi. All you have to do if this bothers you is to change _japanese into _uesugi in both files and your name will appear.

Needless to say that the same procedure is available for adding agents names.

I hope this tiny piece of info can help make your game a bit more fun. You can add you own names or your friends

can you make one for me then? it's hard to follow

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH prayingmantis !!

I have been waiting for so long to be able to Roleplay in Shogun 2 by creating custom generals,

Thanks to you I can finally change names ;-)

BTW, to complete his tutorial : if you are not in English, you might have to open another place to edit names :

I had to go (French version) :

a. local_fr.pack > text > localisation.loc

The file is reaaaaaaly huge, for me the names began near the middle, I had to find the name to modify in all the lines then modify it (thankfully the names are at least classified by faction, then alphaetical order)

Just to revive the thread. Creating custom name_groups can't be done. But, it looks there is a chunk of code left of NTW in STW2. This means that you can use name_groups ID from NTW (for example names_dutch, names_lucca,...) and create custom names.