Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Assembly Kit Q&A - Documentation questions!

Default Re: Assembly Kit Q&A - Documentation questions!

I have a question for the documentation: I just read the groupformations documentation. It says "don't delete existing formations because they're referenced in the code".
    That's fine by me because what I'd like to do is create formations for myself only and leave the AI's untouched.
    Is it possible to create new formations for the player and make them replace the existing ones in the GUI (or at least the keyboard shortcut), while leaving the vanilla ones untouched?

So basically I want to have "Danius Great Formations 1-9" assigned to alt-1 through alt-9, and having the AI stick with the "Verbing Animal" ones

Also, you may want to add a list of valid entries for EntityDescription. Is it values from unit_group?
    Last edited by daniu; October 14, 2012 at 04:34 AM.
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

Quote Originally Posted by daniu View Post
    I have a question for the documentation: I just read the groupformations documentation. It says "don't delete existing formations because they're referenced in the code".
    That's fine by me because what I'd like to do is create formations for myself only and leave the AI's untouched.
    Is it possible to create new formations for the player and make them replace the existing ones in the GUI (or at least the keyboard shortcut), while leaving the vanilla ones untouched?

So basically I want to have "Danius Great Formations 1-9" assigned to alt-1 through alt-9, and having the AI stick with the "Verbing Animal" ones

Also, you may want to add a list of valid entries for EntityDescription. Is it values from unit_group?
    Yes you can. To do that you would want to duplicate the existing formations and add AI onto the end of the name or something, then change the existing ones to have 0 AI priority. Edit the existing ones and then change the name that gets displayed via random_localisation_strings.
    Senior Designer

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lusted View Post
    Yes you can. To do that you would want to duplicate the existing formations and add AI onto the end of the name or something, then change the existing ones to have 0 AI priority. Edit the existing ones and then change the name that gets displayed via random_localisation_strings.
    Okay thanks that makes sense... didn't find the standard formations in random_loc_strings though. Ah well, the original names will do for now.
    But, the process of creating this is weird, I'm not sure it's meant this way. The groupformations don't get added to the "standard" mod pack (mod.pack or whatever it says in the rules); instead a GroupFormations.pack is created, and of pack type Release so the ModManager doesn't find it.

Just to let you know, it's not a big problem to change its type and it's good to go (well I'll have to try yet ).
    Last edited by daniu; October 14, 2012 at 08:14 AM.
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

As I know, it is advised to leave the original formations intact and give them AI priority zero.
    Then you create your own formations with priority bigger than zero, ideally those you want to always be used with priority 1.0.

PS.
    It is advised to exclude the formations related with siege & ambush from the zero priority procedure. If you are unsatisfied with them, it is better to edit above.

EDIT:
    Daniu, if you want to edit Player Formations only then:

You can understand which to edit by their name (the player formation panel has the same formation names).
    So go to the formation AI file and:
    -For each of these player formation which has AI>0 copy paste it and change its name to something else, for example with "AI" in its name as Lusted said. These will continue to be used by the AI as before.
    -Put to all the original player formations that have AI priority>0 a "zero" priority.
    -Edit the player formations as you like.

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH VADER View Post
    if you want to edit Player Formations only then:

You can understand which to edit by their name (the player formation panel has the same formation names).
    So go to the formation AI file and:
    -For each of these player formation which has AI>0 copy paste it and change its name to something else, for example with "AI" in its name as Lusted said. These will continue to be used by the AI as before.
    -Put to all the original player formations that have AI priority>0 a "zero" priority.
    -Edit the player formations as you like.
    Yeah thanks, got it working fine. It's very much adjusted to my own style of playing so I don't think I'll post it as a mod.
    Now that I've actually worked on them, I think I know what kind of editor would be useful to write for them if I get around to it
    Warscape Modding Guide

Respecto Patronum

Is it possible to add custom "unit_category" types in fatigue_effects_tables(in order to simulate the weight of different armor sets)? If the answer is "yes", which table should be edited?

In the effects table, I assume the priority column is used to decide which of contradicting effects takes place? Does the one with the lower priority value take precedent or the one with the higher?
    Warscape Modding Guide

Respecto Patronum

CraigTW's Avatar Ducenarius

Just to let you know, we're popping up the first answer soon in the Q&A section of our Wiki.

The first answer will be to the question "What exactly are the possibilities with the Campaign Map Reprocessing?"

Check it out shortly, and we'll answer another burning question next week.

Ordinarius

This time I am curious about the possibilities of import new buildings in TEd.

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

I hope you will repost the question about agents in your next poll...

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Yes, how to make new agent convert remains and important question.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Yes, how to make new agent convert remains and important question.
    Convert how, to another faction?
    I ask because "convert" refers to religious conversion which looks like it's very straightforward.
    Warscape Modding Guide

Respecto Patronum

Patrician Artifex

Convert how, to another faction?
    I ask because "convert" refers to religious conversion which looks like it's very straightforward.
    The issue here is to add new agents to convert to new religions.
    From the tests I did with NTW, only an agent that could initially convert (i.e. a missionary) can convert.
    I tried to add the "can convert" attribute to a gentleman, he did not convert.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    The issue here is to add new agents to convert to new religions.
    From the tests I did with NTW, only an agent that could initially convert (i.e. a missionary) can convert.
    I tried to add the "can convert" attribute to a gentleman, he did not convert.
    This is the Shogun section.
    Add the conversion effect in effects_tables, add the conversion skill to character_skills, add skill tiers to the agent type in character_experience_skill_tiers, map it to a the conversion effect via character_skills_to_effect.
    Warscape Modding Guide

Respecto Patronum

Patrician Artifex

If CA visited the NTW section, I'll asked there. Wait... I did ask there. In the "Ask CA thread". Started by CA. Where they never go anymore.

Add the conversion effect in effects_tables, add the conversion skill to character_skills, add skill tiers to the agent type in character_experience_skill_tiers, map it to a the conversion effect via character_skills_to_effect.
    Doesn't work for NTW.
    Last edited by Radzeer; October 17, 2012 at 02:17 PM. Reason: fixed the quote

For the sake of keeping it simple and focused, please do not discuss anything but Shogun 2 issues here. Thanks.

@ Steph: I keep this post of yours above here so that the CA folks would definitely read it and then could respond in the NTW section if they want. Anything else on NTW will be off topic here.

Patrician Artifex

Did you have tried to creating a new agent and give him the "convert" (religion) ability ?

Even if it is "irrelevant" here (and I don't agree with this because ETW/NTW/S2TW share a lot of features), I've test with ETW and, if it was possible to create a completely new agents, I've failed to give him the "convert" ability.
    As I have not enough free time, I will not test this with S2TW.

At least, I would have been curious to know the answer from CA about it, even if it is S2TW oriented.
    Last edited by wangrin; October 17, 2012 at 03:19 PM.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by wangrin View Post
    Did you have tried to creating a new agent and give him the "convert" (religion) ability ?

Even if it is "irrelevant" here (and I don't agree with this because ETW/NTW/S2TW share a lot of features), I've test with ETW and, if it was possible to create a completely new agents, I've failed to give him the "convert" ability.
    As I have not enough free time, I will not test this with S2TW.

At least, I would have been curious to know the answer from CA about it, even if it is S2TW oriented.
    If it didn't work (ETW/NTW/S2 whatever) then it's probably hardcoded.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Patrician Artifex

Maybe yes, maybe not.
    Maybe have we miss something in esf, in db tables ?
    An answer, even for S2TW could have been interesting.

If someone had try to add a new agent in S2TW, I'm curious to know if it work and/or what he had done with db and esf.

Quote Originally Posted by wangrin View Post
    If someone had try to add a new agent in S2TW, I'm curious to know if it work and/or what he had done with db and esf.
    I have made a new agent but haven't been able to make him recruitable yet (sadly, all I found searching the subject was "we were able to create a new agent" but never said how). Since I wasn't able to save my startpos, I couldn't give it to a faction in a starting region either to test if he works, but I'm pretty confident.
    I don't think this is a topic for documentation questions by CA though, it's really very specific. I can put up a tutorial (in the appropriate section) once I managed to see him in-game. It does boil down to what I wrote before, and some - if not most - of the tables I edited aren't present in ETW or NTW.

EDIT
    Even more searching still hasn't turned up a tutorial on how to add agents, could you please link to one?
    Or are you guys really asking CA for documentation, while not providing any yourself after you figured out how to do stuff?
    Last edited by daniu; October 18, 2012 at 02:57 AM.
    Warscape Modding Guide

Respecto Patronum

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast