Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Assembly Kit Q&A - Documentation questions!

Ordinarius

Default Re: Assembly Kit Q&A - Documentation questions!

Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS ts View Post
    I have max 2011 and he plugin dont work .
    Why don't you donwload 2010 version? It should be work?

One of the problems is that modders know what to edit in the pack, but don't know where to put it in the Assembly Kit folders.
    I can tell where the db files come from and the models, but where would I put other art? For instance, background images, loading screens, unit cards, portraits? There don't seem to be sample entries for those. Same for LUA files, really.

The Wiki lists a number of valid paths, but I assume those are the vanilla ones; can we just add portraits at, say, raw_data/UI/Portraits/custom/cards/my_portrait.tga and they'll get added to our mod?
    Or more generally, will a path like data/<path_to_file> be resolved by adding <path_to_file> at raw_data? Or somewhere else (EmpireDesignData)?
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Baal View Post
    Erhh I think Erwin "Fundoshi" Rommel already changed the heightmap somehow Prometheus, why don't you ask him?
    What?! I do no such things...

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

S-te-Fan did it.

Anyway, I'd like to know if it is possible to reshape and create regions, the terrain, and how. A moddable Shogun 2 gave me one great idea for a mod...

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

Ummm then how was da chosen one that did it...

EDIT: Never mind. Blatta Optima Maxima said it.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

CA, if I hadn't bought S2TW for myself and a friend when you released those tools a few days ago, I would now.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Quote Originally Posted by daniu View Post
    One of the problems is that modders know what to edit in the pack, but don't know where to put it in the Assembly Kit folders.
    I can tell where the db files come from and the models, but where would I put other art? For instance, background images, loading screens, unit cards, portraits? There don't seem to be sample entries for those. Same for LUA files, really.

The Wiki lists a number of valid paths, but I assume those are the vanilla ones; can we just add portraits at, say, raw_data/UI/Portraits/custom/cards/my_portrait.tga and they'll get added to our mod?
    Or more generally, will a path like data/<path_to_file> be resolved by adding <path_to_file> at raw_data? Or somewhere else (EmpireDesignData)?
    does tooldatabuilder not give a list of file paths when using the export_pack_file <pack> command on an existing pack file, does that not give you the list of paths you need?
    Senior Designer

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lusted View Post
    does tooldatabuilder not give a list of file paths when using the export_pack_file <pack> command on an existing pack file, does that not give you the list of paths you need?
    Ooooh, I thought it gave a list of files in the pack? That I can get easily, so I haven't even tried it out...

What I need is a list of absolute paths in the filesystem, or relative to the mod tool installation folder.
    I'll check tonight what export_pack_file does.
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

Ooooh, I thought it gave a list of files in the pack? That I can get easily, so I haven't even tried it out...

What I need is a list of absolute paths in the filesystem, or relative to the mod tool installation folder.
    I'll check tonight what export_pack_file does.
    It may help, let me know if it doesn't or not. Providing absolute paths is relatively easy if that doesn't give the info you want.
    Senior Designer

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

I already sent you some questions. They are not directly related to the new tools, since I had them before, and are for ETW/NTW.

They are about some stuff that I can't find how to make working, or don't know where to find. Mostly related to the db, and a little to the startpos.

Like: is it possible to have an agent successfully convert, other than the agent which are originally "converter?"
    I tried in NTW to make a new agent for conversion. He did not convert. I tried to make the gentleman convert. He didn't. Only the missionaries convert.

So if it is possible to do that, can you explain what to change in the DB to have any agent be able to convert?

I have others...

A while back you guys released scripting documentation - these were released as attachments to posts on this forum, specifically one of Craig's as I remember. Would it be possible for you guys to A.) Publish this documentation on the new wiki and B.) update it? The documentation was out of date, inconsistent and at times just wrong (e.g. not doing what it should, having incorrect arguments listed etc). Now perhaps I was reading it wrong, but I know from extensive use of certain functions that they did not, or would not, behave as documented. For me it's not a problem, because I'd already figured out how to use them. But for beginner scripters relying on official documentation, rather than community made documentation, it could be a potential issue.

I'm sure this documentation wouldn't take long to get up - I can't imagine how your in house scripters would function without some sort of reference.
    My Tools, Tutorials and Resources

Was running out of space, so see the full list here!

Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing till it gets there.- Josh Billings
    The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.- George Orwell

Primergy's Avatar Protector of the Union

Another question:

How flexible is the game engine regarding animations and skeletons? Is the number of bones and it's hierarchy of a model somewhere hard coded or might it possible to set up a complete new skeleton and animations for Men and horses? (I'm aware that this means also a complete set of new animations)

It may help, let me know if it doesn't or not.
    Sounds like you knew what was coming

No, it just exports the pack file list, as I suspected.
    What we need to know is: if I want to add <X>, where do I need to put it in the mod tools folders for the tools to find and process it? The sample files are really helpful, but there are more things we might want to add.
    - animations (animations/...)
    - loading screens (ui/loading_screen_pictures/)
    - unit icons (ui/units/icons/, .../icons_square, .../recruitment_(large|small))
    Those paths I just looked up by checking in DMUC and Radious' Mod packs; this is the way it was always done: look into the pack files and guess what the respective paths mean - that shouldn't be needed with documentation. If we want to use the tools to do stuff, we need to know where to put our files in the filesystem.

I would guess data that doesn't need processing can go into working_data and BOB will pack it; but what paths can be used so the game will load and use them? Also, if there are files that need to be referenced in the DB for example, that should cause problems, because then it probably has to go in raw_data or so for TWeak to be able to see it?
    Warscape Modding Guide

Respecto Patronum

Sounds like you knew what was coming

No, it just exports the pack file list, as I suspected.
    What we need to know is: if I want to add <X>, where do I need to put it in the mod tools folders for the tools to find and process it? The sample files are really helpful, but there are more things we might want to add.
    - animations (animations/...)
    - loading screens (ui/loading_screen_pictures/)
    - unit icons (ui/units/icons/, .../icons_square, .../recruitment_(large|small))
    Those paths I just looked up by checking in DMUC and Radious' Mod packs; this is the way it was always done: look into the pack files and guess what the respective paths mean - that shouldn't be needed with documentation. If we want to use the tools to do stuff, we need to know where to put our files in the filesystem.

I would guess data that doesn't need processing can go into working_data and BOB will pack it; but what paths can be used so the game will load and use them? Also, if there are files that need to be referenced in the DB for example, that should cause problems, because then it probably has to go in raw_data or so for TWeak to be able to see it?
    Can do that next week for you guys, already at home for the weekend.. I'll post up a list of file paths for things you are likely to want to change and where they should live in raw/working data, maybe with some more example rules.bob files to show what you can do with them.
    Senior Designer

Can do that next week for you guys,
    Great

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    I just want to know how to change turns per year.
    TWeak->Tools->DAVE->Connect->View->Table Launcher->start_pos_calendars
    Last edited by Radzeer; October 06, 2012 at 11:09 AM.
    Warscape Modding Guide

Respecto Patronum

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by daniu View Post
    TWeak->Tools->DAVE->Connect->View->Table Launcher->start_pos_calendars
    That one I gure out then what's next ?

Click on view>table launcher then a table export window pop up... Then I don't know what else to do.

***** clicking on the export button does nothing. The startpos which I edited is not on the list.
    Last edited by AngryTitusPullo; October 06, 2012 at 06:52 AM.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Jokern's Avatar Mowbray of Nottingham

What exactly are the possibilities with the Campaign Map Reprocessing?

Well I have max 2011 , would it take sommuch work to get the script author to tweack the 2010 script to work for 2011? And 2012?

How about the heightmap importing in the map editor ? Doing manual work is not only ending in sloppy results but is also extremely long to do and not worth in my opinion to get a good map that is realistic and belieavable ... I am used to create landscape with severall external tools including manual work in photoshop but without the possibility to import the heightmap worked there is only ineditor handwork that would never reach the same quality...

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    That one I gure out then what's next ?

Click on view>table launcher then a table export window pop up... Then I don't know what else to do.

***** clicking on the export button does nothing. The startpos which I edited is not on the list.
    I think I figured out how it's supposed to work, but it doesn't for me. You need to reprocess, not export.
    After editing with TWeak, start BOB; in the raw_data column, expand "database"; find start_pos_calendars.
    Select it and in the popup, check the campaign you were editing the TPY for (for instance "Campaign/Export to XML (...jap_shogun/start_pos_calendars.xml)").
    A lot of items will get selected along with it because the whole startpos needs to be created.
    The "Start" button will then begin processing.

However, for me, the Mod Manager starts up, and when I close it, the message "Failed to save startpos.esf in c:/official_mod_tools/working_data/campaigns/jap_shogun/!" appears in the "Process start pos (jap_shogun)" entry... and indeed the startpos.esf at that location hasn't changed (directory and file are writable of course).

I've come across the Mod Manager starting when something goes wrong several times now...
    Warscape Modding Guide

Respecto Patronum

I think I figured out how it's supposed to work, but it doesn't for me. You need to reprocess, not export.
    After editing with TWeak, start BOB; in the raw_data column, expand "database"; find start_pos_calendars.
    Select it and in the popup, check the campaign you were editing the TPY for (for instance "Campaign/Export to XML (...jap_shogun/start_pos_calendars.xml)").
    A lot of items will get selected along with it because the whole startpos needs to be created.
    The "Start" button will then begin processing.

However, for me, the Mod Manager starts up, and when I close it, the message "Failed to save startpos.esf in c:/official_mod_tools/working_data/campaigns/jap_shogun/!" appears in the "Process start pos (jap_shogun)" entry... and indeed the startpos.esf at that location hasn't changed (directory and file are writable of course).

I've come across the Mod Manager starting when something goes wrong several times now...
    Try deleting the existing start pos file before reprocessing it, that may help.
    Senior Designer

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast