Thread: How to win with rome vs Seleucid

Default How to win with rome vs Seleucid

Hi
    I am playing RTR Platinum 1.9 with Rome on VH/VH.

I am currently 215 BC, i conquered the hole west and north and africa. Around 70-75 regions. My bank is around 150k and i get like 1k plus after each round.

But my problem is the Seleucids empire! They have conquered all the east. Only the Macendons and saramits are alive(bactrian with 1 region under siege!).

The macedons are losing terrain against the seleucid, as the saramits are doing!

Currently i am fighting against the seleucids around black see area. They have a three front war, and still sending full stacked army after full stacked army at me!
    I moved all my troops to the black see area, around 6 full stacked armies. But i cant win the war, it seems like they have infinite founds and production capabilities! I surely could send in all my armies, but i dont want to lose them all. I tried it out with 2 full armies, but after 5 fights, they were gone! My normal strategy is to attack or defend, win the fight, and retrain the army.

How can i defeat them? Send some troops to egypt to distract them? Or was it my bad, dont to attack them earlier? Because right now, we are just trading our armies and noone will win this in the close future.
    Thanks for your advice!

Default Re: How to win with rome vs Seleucid

Try to sneak into their heartland (including Egypt probably) and sack all big cities. Or enslave them, if you want to boost your own population. Though exterminating it works better.

^Yeah, sneaking is the best way. Hit their cities with low garrison troops, exterminate and destroy all their buildings if you think you can't hold it. Scorched earth baby!

Thank you guys, it's working. They are not as fast reinforcing as before.

Primicerius

Then, what's the point of playing VH/VH if you're avoiding fighting their stacks by sneak-grabbing their un-garrisoned cities?

Probably just the threat of potentially dieing

I did a lot of fights against their armies. I almost won every fight. But they were reinforcing too fast. They had a new fullstack in the time i recruited 1/2! So i was looking for a way to hurt the economie or distract them.

What's working is: You capture a low garrisoned city, u stay in there until they start moving their armies towards you. Than u sell every building and run away. I did this about 10 times(different cities), and than i was able to capture the front cities and from there on, it was getting easier and easier. Now they are down to 20 regions.

Primicerius

Part of the issue is that, in this mod, there seems to be an inexhaustible supply of mercs. On VH, the AI has all the cash to hire every one of them whenever they appear

Use scorpions and flank them with javelins (whatever local type is handy.) Successor armies tend to spam pikemen, they will steam roll you head on, but they are slow and vulnerable from the flanks and rear. Scorpions will help hold them back from the front as they will rarely fail to hit several men per shot in a dense pike army. The javelins should run around the flanks and hit them such they aren't being blocked by the pikemen's shields. From the front, four volleys of regular javelins might only kill a dozen or so men but from behind they may kill half a unit or more. Heavy cavalry should only charge pike square from behind when they are engaged from the front. Anything else will have minimal effect and likely get your horses killed.