View Poll Results: Continue this AAR or make a better one?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Continue

15 78.95%
  • Make a better one

4 21.05%
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: (EB) EMPIRE: Song of Peace and War

Default Re: (EB) EMPIRE: Song of Peace and War

Act III: Empire of Ashes

Prologue: And We Shall Meet Again at Babylon
    Winter 323 BC Babylon

The night was heavy with tragedy, a grim atmosphere settling over the city. Even the Gods, who scorned the lives of mortals, could be heard whispering this night...

Alexandros is dead.

In the chambers of the Great General, Seleukos knelt beside the body and wept. He finally understood the words of Calanus of Taxila.

'We shall meet again in Babylon' he had said to Alexander before immolating himself. Indeed, he had prophesied the general's very death. But did he know that it would be treachery? That it would be poison that took away Alexander's life?

Perhaps Alexander himself had known the chalice was poisoned. Perhaps he had seen past the false smiles of Ptolemy, Eumenes and Antigonus and accepted the poisoned wine regardless. Before his lips had touched the chalice, his eyes had locked with Seleukos' own and with a sad smile, he had drained the cup.

"We had to do it you know." said a voice behind him.

"**** off Ptolemy. You and the rest of those bastards will rot in hades for this." replied Seleukos, tears still in his eyes.

"He would have destroyed us all in his lust for endless conquest." replied Ptolemy.

"He made us masters of the world, he gave us everything, and you betrayed him."

"His lust for power was insatiable. You know that. How many friends have we lost already in his madness? Cleitus, Parmenion, and the lives of thousands of Greeks. You were always too soft Seleukos. Thats why we didn't tell tell you of the plan."

"He knew..." said Seleukos, he turned and nearly sneered when he saw Ptolemy stiffen.

"Don't be ridiculous. He couldn't have, or we would be dead instead of he."

"He saw right past your false gestures of friendship and loyalty. He took the wine to curse you for your betrayal. Do you remember his last words?"

"To the strongest."

"Yes, 'To the strongest'. He knew that none of us are strong enough to hold together what he created. He will watch and laugh at us as we fight each other to the death for the scraps."

"That much has always been certain. I want you to see reason old friend. The two of us are the most capable. Lay low for a while, and when the opportunity presents itself, come to me, in Egypt, and I will help you claim the other half of his empire so we may rule together, as friends, as allies."

Seleukos wiped his tears away and slowly nodded.

"Good, I'm glad you've come around. We need to plan our next moves carefully, or we will not live to see the year. First, we need to take Alexandros' body and bury him as is tradition for the heir to an empire." continued Ptolemy.

"Alexandros wished to be buried in Pella. Do you deny him even his last request?"

"Pella is not home anymore..."

"And Babylon is?"

"We Greeks are no longer the only power in the world. What of the Rising Roman republic, what of Carthage? No, when we finally meet an enemy more resilient than we are, Macedonia will be the first to fall. When you are finished mourning, come and find me, we have much to do." said Ptolemy, before leaving the room.

Alone now, Seleukos began to whisper to himself.

"Oh yes Ptolemy, I will accept your help and we will rise together as masters of this land. But your betrayal of the man I called friend I can never forgive. I curse you, so that one day, the line of Ptolemy will lie beaten and battered before the line of Seleukos. I curse you so that, at the very place where you betrayed Alexandros, your descendants will meet their end. Oh yes old friend. We shall meet again at Babylon..."
    Last edited by seleucid empire; April 29, 2016 at 12:24 AM.

Evalation's Avatar Centenarius

It seems the Seleukos bloodline has already dominated the Ptolemy bloodline. Im interested to see where this goes so keep it up.

Btw how many acts are you planning for this AAR?
    "I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion." - Alexander the Great

Quote Originally Posted by Evalation View Post
    It seems the Seleukos bloodline has already dominated the Ptolemy bloodline. Im interested to see where this goes so keep it up.
    But theres still one Ptolemy left

Chapter 1: Seasick
    Autumn 248 BC Carthage

The ship rocked gently in the waves but even that was enough to make Belshazzar feel queasy. He leaned over the side of the rail and vomited violently. Beside him, a voice spoke.

"I thought Phoenicians were masters of the sea. It doesn't look good being seasick." said Ennychos.

"Shut up Ennychos." replied Belshazzar heaving once again over the side.

"Well, at least we are near land now." said Ennychos, peering at the city in the distance, looming ever closer.

Carthage

"Yes," replied Belshazzar, "A great city born in the ashes of Tyre, where we will find ourselves and our noble Phoenician blood treated with respect, not like back in the empire."

"We are not staying in Carthage for long."

"What?"

"We are leaving as soon as we find another ship and captain that is willing to take us to our final destination."

"And where exactly is our final destination?"

"The Northern Isles, home of the British tribes."

"You would take us to a land of barbarians at the very edge of the world?!"

"I made a promise to your uncle and my master, and I intend to keep it."

"You already have! You took us away from the Empire and you have safely brought us here, a place we would like to call our new home!"

"Peace and prosperity will not last long in Carthage. They have been taking advantage of the Seleukid empire's weaknesses for a long time now but it will not be long before the empire strikes back. They are also at war with Rome. How long until they too come here? Would you like to see your guts spilled out by a Seleukid or Roman soldier? Would you like to see your sister Jezebel and cousin Ruth raped before their throats were cut? Do you want to see your brothers die fighting beside you?"

"No...but...the three empires of Carthage, Seleucia and Rome have been fighting a stalemate for the last 10 years. What makes you so sure that it will change?"

"The reason there has been a stalemate is because Antiochus has been busy with wars to the north, south and east. So up until this point, they have not had the resources to strike out west. But now, those wars are all but finished. I heard news that the entire Sabaen Federation was destroyed in a single quick and brutal campaign. When the empire comes for Rome or Carthage, then nothing can stop them."

"But the Carthaginian military is said to contain upwards of half a million troops. Their military is also strong and flexible, with excellent cavalry and infantry. Rome has more than a million troops and although they lack a good equestrian tradition, their heavy infantry is superb, with an efficient system of raising legions. The Seleukid military can't have more than 200 000 active soldiers and they are spread out over an empire 20 times the size of the Carthagian empire. "

"Numbers have never stopped the Empire before. Just ask the Pontics, the Ptolemies, the Sabaens. In fact, ask any enemy the empire has defeated and they will tell you the same. You say the Carthaginians have a strong and flexible military? The Seleucids have a stronger one. You say Carthage has excellent infantry and cavalry? Can you name one regiment in their entire military that can go toe to toe with a company of Imperial Hypaspistai or silver shields? Can you find a single cavalry unit in their entire military that can match the discipline and élan of the Black Guard or the Emperor's Sworn?"

Belshazzar couldn't find a reply so Ennychos continued.

"No Belshazzar, Carthage is not far enough..."
    Last edited by seleucid empire; April 29, 2016 at 12:33 AM.

I like it, the only thing I see off would be the picture of the Imperial Roman city of Carthage after they rebuilt it.

But I like the conversation that was had in the update.
    "I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion." - Alexander the Great

Chapter 2: Tira
    Autumn 248 BC Seleukeia

A small group of riders approached the encampment from the west. Leading the party was a young girl of no more than 15, her pose and riding stance betraying her nobility despite the layers of dust caking her face. Reaching the outer pickets, the party was challenged by the guards. After a brief conversation between the girl and the guard, the small party was ushered through. Arriving at a modest tent, the girl dismounted and pulled aside the flap, walking inside. The man inside the tent looked up in surprise as she entered and then, as recognition sank in, he bolted out of bed and stumbled towards her.

"Tira!" exclaimed Mardonious.

"Brother..." replied the girl.

"What are you doing here? How have you come to be here?"

"I have been fleeing the queens forces while you were here, in Seleukeia, enjoying your life of luxury." Tira replied, glaring at Mardonious, her voice, laced with anger.

Surprised by the hostility in his sister's voice, Mardonious took a step back.

"Tira...How did you escape Antioch?"

"I...did things. I let the queens soldiers...do things to me...to ensure my survival." whispered Tira, her voice breaking.

A flood of feelings filled Mardonious. Feelings of growing horror, rage, and anguish. He took a step towards his sister and slowly reached out with his arms. When he embraced her, her façade broke down and she wept in his arms.

"Oh Tira...I'm so sorry," whispered Mardonious, struggling not to join her in tears. "You are safe now, I promise you."

"Mardonious... they're dead!" cried Tira.

"Who?" asked Mardonious but already knowing the answer.

"Our father, and our brother, Ashur...The queen tortured them and then threw them to the lions..."

In hearing of the grisly deaths of his brother and father, something inside Mardonious snapped. He felt a rising surge of rage that breached his icy heart. In that instant, the rebellious queen had earned herself a most dangerous enemy. She could never have guessed, that a minor noble named Mardonious of House Doran, would bring to her an end of unimaginable pain and horror...
    Last edited by seleucid empire; April 29, 2016 at 12:36 AM.

Chapter 3: Checks and Balances
    Autumn 248 BC Seleukeia

Sarpedon had kept his usual composure throughout most of the discussion but in hearing Alexandros' latest idea, he frowned.

"I'm not saying the Sphere is ineffective. By the Gods, it is the greatest covert organisation the world has ever seen. However I think we need a separate organisation reserved only for military intelligence. That way, the sphere's resources will not be so stretched." continued Alexandros.

"We are not as stretched as you believe cousin." Sarpedon retorted.

"Didn't you just open a new branch of the sphere?"

"Yes, the House of Scrolls, but that is primarily dedicated to propaganda. We simply sponsor artists and poets to change the people's views. That hasn't put a great deal of strain on our resources."

"If we have a second organisation dedicated to military espionage and assassinations, the reports on enemy movements go straight to the generals rather than through you first. Information will arrive to our armies faster. Of course, the sphere will still be vital. After all, there are no better agents in the world than those in your army of shadows. The sphere will handle the military missions that the new organisation cannot."

"I see the wisdom in that plan. But I also see what else is at play here." said Sarpedon, turning to look at Antiochus, who, so far, had not said a word. The Emperor sighed.

"I was afraid you would take it the wrong way. That's why I asked Alexandros to bring up the plan." said Antiochus.

"Yes, I figured.." replied Sarpedon.

"Brother," said Antiochus,"Your loyalty is beyond question, but you will not be the Lord of Shadows forever. I'm worried about your successors. There is no guarantee to their loyalty. If we pick the wrong person, then we will have handed him a means to usurp the throne. The sphere is powerful enough to achieve that very easily and quickly. Creating a new organisation will act to counterbalance the power of the future lord of shadows so he cannot easily take the throne. After all, empires are maintained by checks and balances. Right now the sphere has nothing to check it at all."

"Even if this organisation is created, it will be no match for the sphere."

"I know that, but it will give the future rulers a better chance."

"I see, I cannot deny the wisdom in that."

"I'm glad brother."

"So, what will you call this new organisation of yours?"

"I have a very catchy name prepared. I think I'll call it The Fist."

"That does sound catchy."

"I thought so too."

"May I make one suggestion, as to who would oversee this organisation."

"You already have a candidate in mind?"

"Yes, the boy, Mardonious."

"Why?"

"The boy fascinates me, and I believe he will fit perfectly into the role. He also shows a surprising amount of guile and a firm understanding of political strategy for his age."

"I will take that into consideration, but before I decide, I will need to test him."

"Of course brother, the upcoming trials should be enough to gauge his worth..."
    Last edited by seleucid empire; April 29, 2016 at 12:44 AM.

Chapter 4: Ephesus
    Autumn 248 BC Ephesus

Prince Seleukos sat on his horse, both praying to and cursing the Gods in equal measures. He prayed for victory but cursed the circumstances which had put him in his current position. It had been a week since they had received the news that the queen's army, the one which was sent to hunt down the royal family, was nearing Ephesus. As the news spread around the city, the citizens were in an uproar upon learning that the general in charge of the queens army was Demetrious the Sacrilegious, a man who was well known for having no regard for the Gods. They demanded that the prince defend the holy site of the Temple of Artemis, located 50 km south of the city. With most of his army made up of local citizens and potentially mutinous troops, Seleucus had no choice but to leave the safety of Ephesus and marched his 4 000 man army down to face the superior Rebel force.

Three nights ago, Demetrious' army had arrived and camped around the temple, trapping Seleucus' forces inside. After 3 days of waiting, Seleucus had had enough. On this day, he formed up his army in front of the temple, offering battle to Demetrious, who had accepted, deploying his own 8,000 man force in the plains below. Megasthenes rode up beside Seleukos.

"What's on your mind brother?" asked Megasthenes.

"I was just thinking about our predicament." replied Seleucus.

"And?"

"We're in a very bad position. Damn those idiots who built this temple. To have it built here, right in the open, in an indefensible position."

"The buildings of the temple cover our flanks. They will be bottlenecked."

"They outnumber us by two to one, and their troops are nearly as heavy as our own. Aside from that, our cavalry will be useless. It would have been better to have faced them on an open field."

"Don't worry brother, we have been promised help. The Satraps of Pergamon and Cappadocia are both marching to our location to save us."

"Do you really believe we are so fortunate? That they will arrive today? The only people that are close enough to help us are the Galatians, and they have withdrawn into Ankyra, taking no sides in this civil war. We have heard of no news from the galatians since this war began. We sent them pleas of aid weeks ago and they have not answered."

"The Satrap of Cappadocia began marching months ago. Who knows, he may yet arrive in time."

"Hope is for the foolish Megasthenes. Now, enough of this talk, its time for battle. Win or Lose, it's time to get this over with."

The Queen's troops approached slowly, their ranks contracting to form a narrow front. Megasthenes could spot two distinct banners in the army. The first was the silver banner of the empire, and the second..

"They are using the standards of the old Ptolemies: The Golden Eagle." said Megasthenes.

"So old Ptolemy is getting his revenge from beyond the grave."

As the Ptolemaic troops approached, Seleucus rode up in front of his soldiers and began to speak, his voice carrying across the army, "Today, we do not fight for freedom, lands or wealth. Today we fight for the Gods. Today, we fight against a man so twisted that he would destroy a temple that has stood for generations upon your lands. They say this temple is the heart of Ephesus. Show me how much it means to you!"

The troops roared with vigour and began to bash their weapons on their shields. The Syrian archers lifted their bows and sent their first volley into the Ptolemaic lines, toppling many in the front ranks. The Ptolemaic soldiers reformed and doubled their pace. Two more volleys later and the archers were forced to march behind the safety of the Thorakitai. A large exchange of javelins followed and then the lines met. Ptolemaic hoplites struggling against Imperial Thorakitai.

To his left, Seleucus saw the Karian mercenaries fighting valiantly against rebel heavy infantry, but they were slowly losing the fight. To his right, he that saw his elite infantry, the Peltastai Makedonikoi were holding back three times their number. Slowly, the army of Seleucus was being pushed back into the temple grounds. The Karians were were down to three thin lines of men and Seleucus knew he had to act.

"Reserve cavalry!" shouted Seleucus.

Eight hundred cavalrymen charged into the fray, giving the Karians a brief respite from the fighting. By now, the centre was also buckling. Only the Peltastai Makedonikoi were fighting as strong as ever. Facing hopeless odds, they still refused to give ground. They refused to die. The badly mauled cavalry was called back and the Karians resumed fighting. They would not hold for long

Only one thing to do now, thought Seleucus.

He turned to his companions. Each one, was one of Seleucus' childhood companions. Each one had a grim expression on their faces.

"My friends.." said Seleucus,"I always thought my first battle would end in glorious victory... I am so sorry, I have failed you all. Will you come and die with me?"

The grim faces of his friends turned into ones of determination. They all nodded.

"We will fight with you to till the Gates of Hades!" said Damokles, his oldest friend.

"And we will greet you beyond!" said Menon, his riding companion.

Seleucus gave them a smile, his first one in months. Then he lifted his sword and charged.

"For the Empire!" he screamed. His companions repeated the call.

The elite companions thundered into the Ptolemaic lines, breaking the Ptolemaic heavies.

"Forward!" ordered Seleucus. His cavalry pushed forward, seeing the threat too late. A unit of Ptolemaic skirmishers hit them from the side and now they were fighting for their lives. As his friends fell around him, Seleucus despaired.

I have failed them all...

Suddenly, he saw the Skirmishers were running away. Confusion, and then realisation hit him. The skirmishers weren't running...they were redeploying. The Prince turned his gaze and saw on the horizon, a third army that had appeared over the hill. Huge and terrifying men stood in the front ranks, their naked forms made them even more intimidating. On the flanks, horsemen covered in suits of shining chain sat atop large horses bred solely for war.

The Galatians had come.

A moment of silence hung over the battlefields. Silence and fear, because the Galatian princes had finally stirred themselves into war. And who they fought for today, would be the victor. For a moment, silence, and then, one of the leading warriors lifted a silver imperial banner and cried,"For the Empire, For the Invincible King!"

As one, the galatians surged forwards, 12 000 men, crashing into the Ptolemaic lines. The battle was over very quickly...
    Last edited by seleucid empire; April 29, 2016 at 10:27 AM.

Very exciting update dude, Im waiting on the next one with great anticipation.

Quote Originally Posted by Evalation View Post
    Very exciting update dude, Im waiting on the next one with great anticipation.
    sorry man, i have a test so i wont be able to upload for a few days. Btw did you read the whole chapter? Theres more writing under the picture of the galatians. I was worried you haven't seen it because of the large size of the picture.

I suppose I could have stretched the end of the battle into another chapter but then i think this act would be too long. I wanted this to be the last act of Book 1 then ill move onto book 2

Yea I read all of it, I just meant I cant wait to see what happens now, now that the battle for Ephesos is over.

@ who-ever is following this, I was wondering, Would you forgive me if I abandoned this aar BUT I will make a new aar which I guarantee I will put more effort into my writing to produce a better story.

I feel as if I started this AAR on the wrong foot. My writing changes throughout making it a bit messy. I did a bit of planning but most of its is just mad eup on the spot when I feel like writing

I always intended it to be a fantasy type AAR but now I realise that I will probably not suit the tastes of most people here.

So what do you guys think? Should I abandon this and give you guys a better constructed AAR? Or just keep going until I run out of steam. And I do admit to losing some enthusiasm in this aar at the moment.

Just letting you know, It will probably be another Seleucid AAR since thats the only faction in EB I like. OR maybe carthage. ANd I wish to stick to EB since the battles are really balanced and its my favourite mod

Ill see if i can put up a poll for your guys to vote in

And keep in mind that even if you want me to start a new AAR, I will still finish book I for you guys so you can see the final clash between the queen and king
    Last edited by seleucid empire; January 23, 2013 at 06:11 AM.

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

I've been following this, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, but if you can make an even better one...well...I can't argue!

Quote Originally Posted by McScottish View Post
    I've been following this, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, but if you can make an even better one...well...I can't argue!
    I cant say it will be a lot better but i can guarantee a better beginning (my ACT I was very messy) and my updates will probably be longer and more detailed

Basileos Predator's Avatar Campidoctor

I belive a fresh start would be the best option.

Domesticus

As long as you don't make an AAR about puny romans...

Quote Originally Posted by Predator1994 View Post
    I belive a fresh start would be the best option.
    Ok, was there anything about this aar that you didn't like particularly?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold View Post
    As long as you don't make an AAR about puny romans...
    It will probably be another seleucid aar set in the same world but a few years/ decades after. I could probably do both aars and make the new one a sequel

Domesticus

Personally, i was enjoying this aar. The story was interesting and the chapters compelling enough to the point of making me refreshing the page to see if you had posted something new.

I was looking forward (forgive me for forgetting their names) to see where you were taking that famous assassin and the greatest warrior of the empire - the one who had the duel with the other fellow and scratched his face.

I very much enjoy this AAR, the only thing I can see wrong with it is that you have too many main characters and at times I find myself going back and reading to try and figure out where ive heard of some of them.

But all in all it is a top notch AAR.