View Poll Results: Continue this AAR or make a better one?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Continue

15 78.95%
  • Make a better one

4 21.05%
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: (EB) EMPIRE: Song of Peace and War

Default Re: (EB) EMPIRE: Song of Peace and War

Chapter 13: Sandstorm Pt. 1
    Spring 249 BC Zafur

"By Ares! Look at all that dust they're kicking up." muttered Draco, "Their army must be enormous. How many do you think there are?"
    "Forty Thousand or more I would guess." replied Babak

The two men squatting next to one another made the unlikeliest of comrades. Draco was a small man of a lean stature with a very youthful face, who had just reached manhood. His comrades in the 6th company of the 2nd Battalion had nicknamed him 'Lizard'. His companion Babak, a dark skinned Babylonian half-blood was a full 2 heads taller and had arms of steel. Both men however, had a number of hideous burn marks all over their bodies. In fact, many Peltastai in the 6th had similar burns but none had as many as these two. The marks were a result of years of service in the 6th company, who wielded a secret weapon to battle: Greek Fire

A few years ago, the Peltasts of the Second Battalion had served in the navy as marines and learned the power of Greek-Fire which allowed the small and fairly inexperienced navy of the Empire to win countless victories in the Arabian Gulf against superior opponents. In the years since, the 6th company of the 2nd battalion had risen to infamy for using Greek Fire in land battles, which was extremely dangerous since no man could predict when and in which direction the wind would change. They had grown more and more adept at using the Fire and even created several devices which would allow them to concentrate it into a small area and cause an explosion. This proved very useful in the siege of Homna 3 years ago, when the 6th were placed at the front of every assault. They had become general Euphorion's favourites, who used them extensively for sapping, assaults and other dangerous missions. Everyone in the army respected them for their reckless courage and called them 'The Flame Breakers'

"They are marching in a very wide column. I think they mean to descend upon us in battle formation before we can react!" exclaimed Babak,"We must ride back and warn the army"

As they returned to the army, they halted at the vanguard where the Flame Breakers were marching and saluted a man wearing the helmet of a captain. The captain was only in his early thirties yet he had a huge scar stretching from his temple to his mouth as well as a limp in his left leg. Every man in the army had seen Captain Planck in action, leading the Flame Breakers. Stories of his missions were the stuff of legends and everyone, enemies and allies alike, held him in respect and awe.

"Hail Captain!" greeted Lizard.
    "What news Lizard?"
    "We've spotted the enemy up ahead. They are kicking up a huge cloud of dust. Babak thinks there could be 40 000 or more of them."
    "Warn the general, he is riding in front of the 7th Battalion, a third of the way down the column. Go quickly!"
    "Yessir!"

They spotted the general in his white war-horse, surrounded by his elite companions. They hailed the generals bodyguards, who parted to allow the two men in. The High General was a rather plain looking man but had the look of cold steel in his eyes.

High General Euphorion

High General Euphorion eyed the two men and their equipment before his posture relaxed and he gave a rare smile.
    "Ahh Flame Breakers! You are the scouts Captain Planck sent out?"
    "Yes my Lord. We have spotted a huge army marching in our direction at a fast pace. We believe there may be 40 000 or more. In any case they outnumber us by at least 10 000 men. They are also marching in a very wide column. I think they mean to come upon us in full battle order and attack before we can deploy"
    "I see. Did you note the composition of any of their forces?"
    "My Lord I believe they have a large regiment of heavy infantry similar to the brown coats we faced at Homna. We saw at least 4 large divisions of those men as well as 10 divisions of their regular skirmishers. The rest of the army we did not see."
    "Very well, return to the vanguard. I will give the order to deploy."

The two men rode back to the vanguard. Draco glanced back. The General was smiling...
    Last edited by seleucid empire; April 28, 2016 at 01:41 AM.

Chapter 14: Sandstorm Pt. 2
    Spring 249 BC Zafur

The sun beat down on the army mercilessly. It heated the men's armour so hot that to Lizard, it felt like being in Hephastious forge. Babak shifted uncomfortably in his armour as did everyone else in the squad. The only one who seemed unaffected was captain Planck who stood absolutely still, his face a mask of concentration. In front of them, the Arabian army unfolded from its columns and quickly formed into battle order. Babak's suspicion had been proven correct. The enemy army stopped on the opposite hill, hesitant. They had obviously not expected their enemy to be ready and waiting in lines. But soon they began to move again, their confidence in numbers showing. Fifty thousand Arabians would march against the 5th army today, and Fifty thousand would fall. High General Euphorion rode up beside the captain.

"Planck, move the Flame Breakers to the left wing, behind the Babylonians. Await my signal and then attack. You know what to do."

The 6th marched into position and waited. The enemy army was approaching at a steady pace.

"Look at all those horsemen. They must have 5 000 cavalry." exclaimed Lizard.
    "As us?" asked Reudon, the newest recruit of the 6th
    "I haven't seen any horsemen except those of the general's guard. Around 500."

That silenced Reudon. As the Arabian banners came into view, Planck spat on the ground and cursed. Similarly, all along the lines of the 5th army, men spat at the ground and shook their weapons threatening.

"Two Rams and a full moon. The Banners of Marek il Satar" whispered Babak

Marek il Satar was well known to the 5th army. It was he who had convinced General Seron to spare the citizens of Maryab and install him as a governor to keep the population under check. Seron had agreed and Marek had betrayed him by instigating a rebellion and sealing shut the city, thus dooming Seron and the entire 4th army to their bloody fate. General Euporion rode to the front of the lines and began his speech.

"Today we honour the memory of General Seron and our brave comrades of the 4th, who survived a march through hell, only to die because they put their faith in a snake! Do you see those banners? You know who they belong to! They belong to the bastard who betrayed our trusting general! He was unbeatable in battle so the enemy laid him low with the only weapon they have: treachery! Such a desperate act shows us how truly weak they are. Today we will crush them, and then we will continue onwards destroying every city until we arrive at the gates of Maryab. And when we arrive, we will show these Sabaens what happens to those who betray our mercy! Fight well today my Avenging Spirits so that when you meet General Seron in Hades, you can look into his eyes without shame and tell him of our bloody retribution!"

The men roared and their voices were carried by the wind to the enemy ranks. A shuddering motion passed through the Sabaen army. The Persian archers, 6 battalions strong, raised their bows. As the Sabeans reached the bottom of the dune, they fired. 10 000 arrows fell amongst the Sabaens who fell where they stood. The smell of the sweat and blood of cowards filled the air.

The Sabaen skirmishers reached the Seleucid pike line but fled after minutes, seeing the hopelessness of their situation. The rain of arrows continued to fall among the Sabaens shredding their ranks. On the right wing, the Sabaen noble infantry charged into the Thureophoroi, who held firm. The 3rd Battalion Peltestai rained arrows on the nobles and they fled. The Thureophoroi chased after them, seeing the threat too late. 5 000 Sabaen cavalry slammed into their ranks and one battalion broke instantly. General Euphorion charged with his personal guards into the fray. On the left wing, the Sabaen citizen spearmen fought ferociously armed with nothing but a spear and a simple shield. They were men defending their homes and fought bravely. These men stood fast, unlike the cowardly nobles who wore their shiny armour, bragging before battle of how many men they would kill only to run away after minutes of engagement. A real shame that these men would die today, but such is the way of war.

The Babylonians were holding but taking heavy casualties. Then, the signal came: 4 short bursts from the general's horn. Captain planck raised his sword and charged into the flank of the citizen spear men. The entire 6th company, 300 men in total, followed their beloved captain. They fought furiously with their short-swords, stabbing and thrusting. A large explosion sounded through the air. Planck looked back and saw Lizard and Babak throwing their Greek fire charges everywhere and swinging their blades wildly. They both cackled every time one of their bombs went off.

"For Ares sake!" cursed Planck.

Several loud explosions happened at once and the Sabaen spear men began to flee in terror.

Kill as many as you can

Those were his orders. He pulled out from under his Cuirass a smiliar device to the ones that Babak and Lizard wielded except instead of dry powder, a dark swishing liquid filled this one. He threw it hard. It arched over the fleeing Sabaens and landed in front of their fleeing ranks. An explosion rocked the dune. The contents of the charge spilled everywhere. Liquid fire spread from one fleeing Sabaen to another. All it took was a simple brush and it would spread from one man's clothes to the next. Soon the entire mass of men were aflame. They emitted inhuman screams and a few dropped into the sand rolling, in an attempt to smother the flames. But these flames did not smother. They burned until there was nothing left to fuel it. They burned until all flesh was gone.

The captain turned to survey the rest of the battle. The Sabaen army was completely routed. The 6th company marched towards the the generals guard, who sat observing the slaughter of the enemy army. A few men were taking turns pissing on the captured enemy banner. The Flame Breakers walked past the bodies of the Sabaen warrior priest elite who laid sprawled in a large circle. These men were true warriors and had died to a man defending their lord. Captain Planck had a sad look in his eyes.

"Captain?"
    "I am alright Lizard. It's just such a waste. These are men just like us. Willing to lay down their lives for honour. It is sad that they met this fate. I have seen as many good men die fighting for our enemies as I have men who fight for the Empire."

Lizard couldn't find the right words to reply so he stood in silence. In the distance he could see a man walking up to the general with a round object in his hands. As the general's guard saw the object they spat. The object was placed on a spike and lifted for the army to see. It was the head of Marek, now a trophy of war.

Another gruesome trophy for the empire...
    Last edited by seleucid empire; April 28, 2016 at 01:40 AM.

Chapter 15: The Twin Thrones
    Spring 249 BC Antioch

"Our Stepmother is up to something, I know it." muttered Seleucus Kallinikos, prince of Syria and heir to the Empire
    "That much is clear already, but what goals and how she plans to achieve them are still a mystery." replied Megasthenes, his younger brother.
    "Berenice is gaining too much power. Grand Chancellor Oxatanies seems to be her new ally in whatever she is planning"
    "I hear rumours that the Grand Chancellor is always present in the queens council chambers...as well as her bed chambers."

Seleucus reeled back,as if struck. "By the Gods! This insult to our father must be dealt with. I will go to the commander of the silver shields tomorrow and.."
    "No, we do not have any proof. No man or woman can ever be convicted based on the testimony of a spy, especially not the queen."
    "A spy?"
    "Yes one of mine. Don't you remember? It has always been my wish to rise to the top of the Sphere of Shadow but father has remained adamant that I do not join them. He said something about 'princes needing to work in the light and not behind cloaks and daggers' which I find rather ironic since he uses the services of the Shadow Battalion frequently and he had no objections when our uncle Prince Sarpedon assumed control of it. I have followed father's wishes but I have nonetheless employed a few agents of my own."
    "Ahh yes, you wanted the Throne of Shadow." replied Sarpedon, thoughts rushing through his head.

The Throne of Shadow, the highest seat of the Sphere of Shadow, the Empire's vast net of spies, agents and assassins which spread not just across the empire, but across the entire length of the known world. The Throne of Shadows was a power that rivalled that of the Emperor himself and that made the current Lord of Shadows, Sarpedon, the second most, if not the most powerful man in the empire. He was certainly the most feared and dangerous. The Sphere controlled the House of Cloaks, The House of Death, The House of Twilight and the House of Silk. The House of Cloaks were the imperial spies which provided valuable information to the Shadow Lord, who in turn passed it onto the King. The House of Death was the host of imperial assassins and they were more often successful against their target than not. The affairs of the House of Twilight was a mystery that only the Lord of Shadows knew. It was rumoured that they dealt with the supernatural although many who believed such a rumour also believed that the House of Twilight was filled with superstitious fools wasting the Sphere's time and resources. The House of Silk, despite its deceptive name was the most frightening and terror inducing sector of the Sphere. A mere whisper of its name would cause utter panic and fear because whenever their name came up, a trail of death would follow. It was no wonder that Megasthenes wanted to be the Lord of Shadows. He had always been subtle and cunning in that way, more like their uncles than their father.

"We should send a message to our father and uncle Sarpedon."
    "There is no need. This may be a recent event but no doubt Sarpedon's spies are already on their way to bring him a message. He has placed many of his best in Antioch. He always called it the Viper's nest."
    "Then we should send a message to our mother Laodice in Ephesus and warn her. If my worst suspicions are correct, then we may be dead very soon and then the queen will come after her."
    "We must also escape now, before she makes her move."
    "No, it is not the right time yet..."
    Last edited by seleucid empire; April 28, 2016 at 01:44 AM.

Chapter 16: The Queens Gambit
    Spring 249 BC Antioch

Two lone figures stood in the Great Throne Room of Antioch. The first was a man who had reached his fiftieth year, the first whispers of grey hair showing. He wore a robe of the finest silk, a great luxury which marked him as a powerful Lord. The second was a young and extremely beautiful woman of 26, her belly showing the early signs of pregnancy. On her head she wore a thin silver crown.

The queen stared around the familiar room. On the highest dais sat the Throne of the Emperor, A monstrously large chair of Silver and Steel. The back of the chair was adorned with etchings of 9 Sigils: The 9 Regions of the Empire. In the centre of them, a figure carved with the likeness of Alexandros Megas. Not a single piece of cloth or cushion sat on the chair for comfort. Next to the throne, raised on a smaller dais, was a chair of bronze. It had carvings of famous battles and attached to the top of the chair was a great bronze spear. The seat of The Lord Commander of the Army. An alcove was built into the left side of the hall. The alcove was built so that no light penetrated its depths and and a man standing or sitting in it would not be seen at all. Although it was not visible, the queen knew that there was another chair built into the Alcove. It was carved out of dense, dark ebony: The Throne of Shadows. Berenice shuddered.

"My Queen have you listened to a single word I've been saying?" asked Oxatanies.
    "No, should I have?" replied the queen sharply

Oxatanies sighed.

"My queen, I was telling you how much I would like to **** you right now on top of the throne." replied Oxatanies casually.

That got her attention. She hissed.

"You idiot, the eyes and ears of the Lord of Shadows are everywhere."
    "No need to fret about that anymore, I'm sure one of Sarpedon's agents is already on his way to inform him."
    "How can you be sure?"
    "We cannot keep any secrets from him"
    "Then we need quicken our plans."
    "As I was saying just then, but you were too busy lost in your thoughts."
    "We need to get rid of my step-son Seleucus."
    "If the crown prince dies, the news will spread like wildfire. He is popular with the people and the army. We cannot act so rashly yet. When we are ready, then we will kill him."
    "What about Megasthenes? He is the dangerous one. He is clever and will have suspected something already if his older brother hasn't. He is so much like Sarpedon in every way that even I begin to wonder if the former queen Laodice was as faithful to her husband as they say."
    "Yes, I agree that he is a bigger threat for now. Since he is not as well liked as Seleucus, killing him will not arose as much suspicion. However, no doubt he has already told his brother of his fears. We must act only when we are ready."
    "How many mercenaries have we smuggled into the city so far?"
    "Around 10 000 I would guess. That's barely enough to overcome the city guard and I don't even want to think about the Hypaspistai and the Silvershields right now."
    "Then we are not ready. Keep in mind that we need to act quickly. We need to take Antioch and travel to Egypt to rouse the Egyptians to our cause."
    "You are sure that the Egyptians will accept you?"
    "Of course. I was taken away from Egypt only 12 years ago to marry Antiochus, they will not have forgotten me so quickly. I am the last Ptolemy! The child inside my belly is the heir to all of Egypt"
    "Yes, but even with the support of the people, to take Egypt, we will need to bring an army to drive out the imperial forces and to make sure we arrive in Egypt without being stopped along the way. We must leave the mercenaries in Antioch to maintain Loyalty."
    "We cannot raise an army quickly enough!"
    "No, but alas, something has come up to our good fortune. Lord Vanara is here and I believe we have found our solution."
    "Vanara?"
    "Yes, he arrived this morning with 1 000 cavalry of the Elissian Guard and requests and audience with you. It would be good to make an ally of him. He controls the Satrap of Phoenicia. He can raise a sizeable army and he controls the fleet of Tyre, almost 300 ships strong. We can go to Egypt by Sea and bring his army with us to take Alexandreia. Then all of Egypt will quickly be yours."
    "What does he want?"
    "I do not know but he is a prickly man. It is safe to say he has guessed our plans and comes to offer us his support in exchange for something"
    "Very well, tell him I will meet him now."
    "He is weary from the journey, we can see him at night when less witnesses may be around. Meanwhile, I have a hunger that needs to be satisfied now.."
    Last edited by seleucid empire; April 28, 2016 at 01:46 AM.

Chapter 17: An Empire for a Bargain
    Spring 249 BC Antioch

"So what is it you have come for Lord Vanara?" asked the queen as the old Lord bowed.
    "My Queen, I ask a simple request. I am hunting down the criminal that slew my son. He is dangerous and cunning and has so far eluded all of my attempts to catch him. I ask that you lend me 500 horsemen for pursuit and send a decree to all of the other Lords to make sure I am unhindered in my search."
    "Really? Why should I do that?"

Vanara smiled. "I have heard things my queen. That you have made certain plans with the Grand Chancellor while you were...in your bed chambers together."

Berenice turned white with fury. "Guards!"
    "That would not be wise." said Vanara, "My nephew is eating lunch with the Lord Commander of the Silver Shields. If I am not back by noon, he will tell him everything. Besides, you need me."
    "What makes you think that?"
    "I am no fool, if you are planning what I think your planning, then you will need me. My Satrapy lies between Antioch and Egypt and you must pass Sidon to reach it. If I choose not to help you, you will never reach it. I promise you that. I am not asking for much. Between you and the Lord Chancellor, you have enough power to give me this decree."
    "Fine, but when I ask, you must be ready with your army and fleet to help me."
    "Thank you my queen. It will be as you say..."
    Last edited by seleucid empire; April 28, 2016 at 01:50 AM.

Chapter 18: North's Reach
    Spring 249 BC outside the Fortress of North's Reach, Egrisi, Northern Armenia

Epikrates, the High General of the Armenian Guard, surveyed the Fortress in front of him. The only path that led up to the fortress of North's reach was one that had been forcibly cut through the rock of the hill. The Fortress itself sat atop the hill which was round to allow the fortress a clear view in every direction. Clearly, it had been built to withstand attacks from enemies and treacherous allies alike. Looking over its walls, he saw no marks of siege. How then, had it fallen? Epikrates decided that the garrison commander must have baulked at the sight of the horde and surrendered the fortress without a fight. What idiots! They had passed the bodies of the garrison on the way and Epikrates had then believed that they had fought to a man and were dragged and dumped here. Now he knew. They had made a deal but the Sarmatians had turned on them and used them for shooting practice.

Epikrates pondered his options. He could order an assault against the mighty defences of Norths Reach which were built to easily withstand armies several times the size of the one Epikrates commanded now. His forces were veterans however, and he commanded several battalions of Georgian assault infantry. If he settled for a siege, he could destroy them with hunger. No armies would come to relieve them since Epikrates had destroyed the main horde several weeks ago. The Sarmatians really didn't have a chance to begin with. Armenia contained the largest network of Fortresses and Fortified mountain towns in the entire empire. Over 1 000 fortresses were built into the sides and peaks of mountains or built to guard the valleys. On top of that were around 5 000 fortified mountain towns which sat halfway up mountains and were inaccessible to hostile forces. Epikrates' scouts had discovered the trail of destruction. The Sarmatians had attacked several unfortified villages along a valley and had taken them with light casualties. However, when they had reached the first fortress in their path, their forces had broken like water on the rocks. The remnants of the horde had fled north with Epikrates in pursuit. He had caught up with them in the night and surrounded them. Come dawn, he ordered his archers to fire down into the Sarmatian camp and butcher them. The cream of the horde had been slain, the men who now garrisoned Norths Reach were vassals and slaves to the Sarmatians.

Epikrates gestured to one of his companions. The man rode to the gates of the fortress. He pulled from his pouch, the head of the Sarmatian chief and threw it hard over the walls. The he shouted so all the defenders could hear.

"My master, the High General Epikrates has destroyed your horde. Surrender this fortress and leave our lands and we will grant you your lives."

A speaker on the ramparts shouted something back. The companion rode back and proclaimed,"My Lord General, they have agreed. They ask you to give them time to gather their belongings and march out."

An hour later the gates swung open and a line of men began to march out of the gates in single file. Epikrates' men quickly marched into the fortress and took control of its towers and ramparts. The line of Sarmatian soldiers reached the end of the valley, before a unit of Thureophoroi appeared, blocking their way. The Sarmatians became fearful. They started wailing as Epikrates rode up with his elite cavalry. A man stepped forward from the throng and spoke in garbled Greek

"You promise us our lives." he said, staring accusingly at the general
    "Indeed I did and so you will live, but you have raised arms against the empire and there is a price to be paid for that. You will each lose two fingers on whichever hand you use to draw your bow."

They rode past the Sarmatians as the first screams of pain began. They came over the edge of the valley and beyond they saw a vast plain meeting the foot of Caucasian mountains, which ended sharply. The plain stretched on in every direction with no signs of life.

"The plains of Dahyu Siraca" muttered Epikrates.
    "My lord we are to march into that??" asked his companion
    "Yes Crotus, the Fortress of Uspe lies there and we must relieve it before it falls."
    "But my Lord, those are the Steppes. Just like the Sarmatians we have defeated, we would be fighting in land that is ill suited for our army and advantageous for our enemy. We could be wiped out."
    "Have faith in me Crotus, I have fought on these steppes before."
    "My Lord?"
    "Ahh, I forget that you have only come into my retinue recently. Ask you comrades in the companions. I was the one who conquered Dahyu Siraca and brought it into the empire in the first place."
    "But Lord Alexandros the Black.."
    "No, he conquered the Greek cities near the coast and expelled their Sarmatian garrisons. That was an easy enough task. I was the one who had to march inland on the steppes to Uspe and then fight the main Sarmatian horde. I lost a lot of good men in that campaign, and Alexandros got all the credit."
    "I'm sorry to hear that my Lord."
    "Well, the past is the past. I think it best if we focus on the present. We will march out there and we will defeat them."

Crotus began to see his general in a new light.

Epikrates the unpopular, Epikrates the harsh, Epikrates the Stubborn, Epikrates the Conquerer...
    Last edited by seleucid empire; April 28, 2016 at 01:54 AM.

When the AAR begins, (winter 250 BC)
    Archimenes is 34, Hilioketes is 32

Typo,

in winter 250 BC

Mardonious is 15, Archimenes is 34 and Helioketes is 32

Kallum's Avatar I win, you lose!
    Somewhere behind a desk, following the world from behind the save glowing screen that is my desktop

Quite the AAR you've got here! Keep it up. Btw I have to say that I find the 'vulgar' parts quite refreshing actually. Makes your characters more alive to me, they are not the gods/superheroes that they are in so many other AARs.
    Last edited by Kallum; October 06, 2012 at 05:06 AM.
    Carl von Dobeln's son
    How it all began
    Author of the Basileia ton Romaion Series book 1, 2, 3
    The work has been done, the trilogy is completed or has it?

haha thank you kallum! Yes that was exactly the approach i was going for. Most other AARs have good and bad guys, eg. The enemy will be depicted as bad and your own characters as angels. It shouldnt be like that. Just because they are on the other side doenst make them evil. My main characters are all quite flawed as well. eg. Mardonious is very cold and calculating and not particularly likeable. Archimenes is wrathful and Helioketes is bent on revenge

Ganbarenippon's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I've just gotten started. I love the unique start point, very original and refreshing. I'll comment as and when I go along, so maybe some of the comment won't match the update above them, until I catch up. +rep, and more please!

thanks! i will upload some more soon

aww crap i just realised i wrote son in chapter 17 instead of nephew

it shoulde be :My nephew is eating lunch with the Lord Commander of the Silver Shields.

Chapter 19: The Black Citadel
    Spring 249 BC Elymais, The Black Citadel, Headquarters of the Black Guard

Archimenes found Mardonious on the highest walls of the citadel, staring at the distant ground, nearly 700 metres below them.

"Impressive isn't it?" asked Archimenes
    "That is an understatement. Eight sectors with eight increasingly stronger rings of defences and the base of fortress is built 200 metres off the ground. This is the largest and most impressive fortress I have ever seen."
    "Then you haven't seen Tempestfall."
    "Tempestfall?"
    "Yes, the largest fortress in the Empire, and the World. The Black Citadel is the second largest but Tempestfall is 5 times as large and can garrison 150 000 men."
    "That would make this fortress look like a hovel."
    "Tempest fall may be the largest fortress but The Black Citadel is a far greater challenge to take. It's built into a mountain and its location would stop most armies from even reaching it."
    "And with the black guard guarding it..."
    "Millions would not be enough to take it."

"So where are the black guards Archimenes?"
    "You have seen them already. They opened the gates for us. They are everywhere."
    "Those men? They are not companions."
    "No, the companion cavalry regiments of the Guard are all with Alexandros. The Infantry regiments have been stationed here, around 5 000 strong. They may not be as famous as our cavalry but they are deadly in combat."
    "I see, so we are safe here from Vanara."
    "Yes, but I do not intend to stay here. I'm going to travel to my own lands. I'm going to return to Green Shade Hall "

It had been several weeks ago when they had received the news from a merchant, that Lord Vanara was travelling along the Royal Road escorted by 1 500 cavalry, including the Elissian Guard. There was only one possible reason for his trip. The hunt had resumed. The fact that Vanara had not been questioned or stopped along the way, meant that Hector had not succeeded in his mission and was probably dead. No doubt Vanara had a hand in it.

"You plan on luring Vanara into a trap and avenging Hector." stated Mardonious with a sigh of acceptance.
    "Yes."
    "You do not even know if Hector is dead or not. He may have been delayed somewhere or reached Sidon after Vanara had left already."
    "Do you really believe that Mardonious?"
    "Alas, no.."
    "I will avenge Hector and strangle that snake with my bare hands."
    "Then I will come with you... after all, friends should die together..."
    Last edited by seleucid empire; April 28, 2016 at 02:00 AM.

OK, I'm all caught up. I love it! It kind of has a Steven Erikson feeling to it, and that is not a bad thing at all. More, more, more!

Quote Originally Posted by Ganbarenippon View Post
    OK, I'm all caught up. I love it! It kind of has a Steven Erikson feeling to it, and that is not a bad thing at all. More, more, more!
    Hmm yup, I'm assuming that you've read the malazan book of the fallen series? The flame breakers in my war are based heavily on the bridge burners. But not to worry, my story will be a lot more original than my characters

And thanks! glad you liked it
    Last edited by seleucid empire; October 09, 2012 at 10:50 AM.

Chapter 20: Storm Clouds
    Summer 248 BC Gava-Aursa, the Steppes of Dahyu Aursa

The Warlords hold was a shabby hall of wood, poorly constructed. However, it was probably the largest building in the steppes for hundreds or even thousands of leagues. The former nomad city of Gava-Aursa was nothing more than a town compared to the great cities of the Empire. As Sarpedon approached, two guards quickly stepped aside to let him in. Inside, he found Alexandros and Antiochus hunched over a map of the Sarmatian territories. They both looked up as he entered.

"Brother, cousin, ill news has reached my ears." stated Sarpedon
    "Well?" asked Antiochus.
    "Queen Berenice has declared an open rebellion and taken Antioch."
    "What?!" exclaimed both Alexandros and Antiochus.
    "She is also pregnant with Lord Oxatanies child."
    "By the Gods!" exclaimed Alexandros
    "How did she take Antioch?" asked Antiochus.
    "She smuggled 15 000 mercenaries into the city. When the time came, they lured the hypaspistai and silvershields to a feast and slaughtered them. Then they fell on the unsuspecting city guards. It was all done in a day. In addition, five hundred noble families have been killed on her orders."

Antiochus turned visibly pale.

"And my sons?" he asked, shaken.
    "My sphere agents helped the entire Royal family escape out of the city and brought them to Ephesus where you exiled queen Laodice. They are now raising an army to fight back. Our sons and relatives are safe for now."
    "Thank the Gods" said Alexandros. Then he turned to Antiochus and said, "Cousin, I told you years ago it was a bad idea to marry that Egyptian whore! Laodice was a good queen and you cast her out."
    "It was a necessary action. I needed her to claim Egypt. If I had not, we would still be fighting rebellions up and down the Nile to this day! Laodice understood my actions and only made me promise one thing: That our son Seleucus will ascend the throne after me!"

"What is done is done, we need to focus on what to do now." interrupted Sarpedon.
    "Just cut her throat!" roared Alexandros."Surely you have one agent capable in the sphere."
    "I have many capable agents!" snapped Sarpedon, "But she will be prepared. She has Neoptolemus of Karia, the greatest warrior in the empire as her personal bodyguard. You, yourself gave him into her service"
    "Neoptolemus is loyal to me.." said Alexandros
    "Was loyal to you, but I'm guessing that its changed now. After all, I don't think that Oxatanies is the only one who she spread her legs for..."
    "Neoptolemus was never trained as a bodyguard, he may be the greatest warrior but surely he has never faced assassins of the same calibre as those found in the sphere."
    "Yes, I have plenty of assassins who can easily kill them both, however, they are unavailable. You asked me to send my best to Roma to assassinate the members of the senate who oppose making peace with us. In between missions, they are unreachable. Such is the way of the sphere. However, I will try and get the word across to Flashblade or maybe Quicksilver..."

Antiochus flinched when he heard the name.

Quicksilver, Sarpedon's best assassin. Memories came flooding back to slaughter he had witnessed nearly six years ago. The Siege of Bactra was at an end. Only the palace remained, held by those desperate soldiers still loyal to the Bactrian King Diodotos. Four days they successfully held off Antiochus' forces. On the fifth, the Empire's forces rushed to gates again, only to find them unguarded. The assault force made their way cautiously to the throne room where a horrific scene greeted them. The room was filled with bodies. 400 elite warriors of the Bactrian Guard lay dead, their limbs and intestines scattered everywhere. All of them had their throats cut and a few had lost their heads completely. Sitting calmly on the throne was quicksilver, and he was Smiling. In his hand was a spear with Diodotos' head on top of it. All that slaughter, done by a singe man. Antiochus had not asked how he had managed to achieve it. He had not wanted to know..

"No" whispered Antiochus."No assassins. She has the support of Egypt behind her. If we assassinate her, then Egypt will continue to resist us. We will wait for her to raise the Egyptians to her cause, and then crush her in open battle. This resentment has been building up for far too long. An assassination will not stop Egypt from rebellion."
    "My spies tell me that the population of Antioch is hostile towards her." continued Sarpedon,"But the presence of 15 000 mercenaries will keep them from troubling her."
    "What does she plan to do next?" asked Alexandros.
    "Well she has seized the treasury and hired another army of Mercenaries. They are on their way to Ephesus to put it under siege and kill the prince. Berenice has lead the Phoenician army down to Egypt and taken Alexandreia as well. Naturally, the population welcomed her as their rightful queen. Our loyal Satraps have fled down to Nubia and Ethiopia. They control Meroe, Axum and Ptolemaios Theron and are raising an army to counter-attack."

"Phoenician army?" asked Antiochus
    "Vanara, that snake.." hissed Alexandros.
    "We will return to the Heartlands immediately, marching through Armenia on the way" said Antiochus." I have received word from High General Epikrates that he is on the march for Uspe. If he succeeds in relieving the fortress then we will meet them halfway. I will hand him control of half the royal army so he can continue the campaign in the north and continue south with my core of cavalry and infantry."

Sarpedon nodded approvingly. "As I have told you countless times, we should have returned years ago. Now we face a massive rebellion."

"Not for long..."
    Last edited by seleucid empire; April 28, 2016 at 02:01 AM.

Interlude

blue = territory under Berenice's control
    black = territories under the Emperor's control

Question:who is your favourite character so far?

Hmm...I like Sarpedon, I feel he might just be the most dangerous man in the whole story. But then Vanara is interesting too when it comes down to it, he is in the right, he only wants vengeance for his son.