Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: BUM units - over 600 units for major & minor factions

Default Re: BUM units coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Splenyi View Post
    Varvade are the regular soldiers, Indelta are a semi-militia formation. The difference in theory was rather huge, but their performance on the field was fairly even.

Indelta would train less than a month a year, and the Varvade, being professional soldiers, would train as much as they could, which sometimes wouldn't be that much, 3 months a year maybe.

Varvade was supplied by the state, Indelta would be self-supplied (or by their family, or by the family that they where "boarding" with).

http://www.napoleon-series.org/milit...disharmy2.html

Do you have some images for Varvade and Indelta? I googled them but couldn't be sure which pics are reliable. I could make them if they have a different variation to existing swedish uniform.

Saxony preview
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Prince Max's Regiment of Foot (unique unit x1) & Anhalt Guard Grenadiers

Life Guard Grenadier & Grenadier Guards

Von Polenz Chevauxleger

Prince Albrecht Uhlans

Mounted Freiwillige Jagers

Carabiniers

Landsturm Jagers

Landsturm Militia

Henneburg Landwehr

National Guards

... and trouble with Imageshack....

agunter999's Avatar Senator

Henneburg?
    Haven't heard that

Quote Originally Posted by agunter999 View Post
    Henneburg?
    Haven't heard that

Simply a generic militia unit under a different name to add variation to roster composition. Henneburg/Henneberg is a municipality in Thuringia, Saxony (maybe I should call them Thuringia Militia ?).

Prince of Essling's Avatar Napoleonic Enthusiast
    Patrician

Sweden

Below is taken from my "Swedish Army regimental names 1790-1814" thread at http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=466633. This aimed to make it much easier to understand the Indelta & Varvade system. The regimental listing shows which units were Indelta & which were Varvade, so you can choose which to model. But I would not worry too much as uniforms are effectively indistinguishable - see example attached where one is indelta & one varvade..

Recruitment
    This section has been adapted from article on the Swedish Army by Magnus Olfsson at the Napoleon Series & Gunnar Arteus’ chapter on the Swedish Army Organisation 1780-1820 in “Between the Imperial Eagles: Sweden’s Armed Forces during the Revolutionary & Napoleonic Wars 1780-1820”.

Sweden’s regular army was composed of two types of units - indelta (approximate meaning “allotted” - implying “the allotment [of state property and income]”) and värvade (“enlisted”).

A majority personnel were indelta - raised, maintained, and trained through the so called indelningsverket (approximately “the allotment establishment”). Infantry were recruited by roteringen, cavalry by rustningenor rusthållet. Rotering(en) meant a group of farmers undertaking, in return, forpermanent exemption from conscription, to partly clothe and, in peacetime, pay, house & feed a soldier (knekt). Rustning(en) meant rusthålle(t) i.e. the owner of a homestead (for tax assessment purposes) in return for exemption from tax and rotering undertook to permanently provide the Crown with a cavalry soldier (ryttare) complete with horse, accroutements etc. In peacetime, knekt & ryttare were essentially farmers. Indelningsverket also included a system of benefits in-kind (house, rents & tithes) for the great mass of army officers.

Although a regular army, the indelta was not a true standing army. In peacetime the indelta officers and soldiers would live on their assigned farmsteads tending their fields. Occasionally each squad or platoon would drill outside the church after Sunday service and each summer, before the harvest, each regiment would assemble and drill for a few weeks. Training was a problem and the indelta army was undoubtedly one of the worst trained in Europe when the Napoleonic Wars broke out. Indelta units could not be used for garrison duty, so these had to come from the värvade (enlisted) units.

The värvade (enlisted) units consisted of professional soldiers who served for cash salaries. They provided garrison troops in peacetime; and in wartime they were usually used in the field, their garrison duties handed over to reserve troops.

The degree of professionalism demanded by the artillery arm meant that it was completely värvade (enlisted).

Värvade units main advantage over the indelta was their training, though differences should not be exaggerated. As the indelta year was seasonal, i.e. training in summer and farming the other seasons, so were the enlisted units. During two or so summer months the enlisted units drilled, which meant that they were better trained than the indelta units, but during the rest of the year most time was spent on routine garrison duty; during that time up to half the enlisted men went on leave provided they had a civilian job to support themselves. This was for financial reasons: of all soldiers in the Swedish army only about half of the enlisted were employed as soldiers the whole year; a majority of the men spent most of their time pursuing civilian occupations.

During the 1808 crisis the King introduced a form of compulsory military service by conscripting the lantvärn. As a resuly of misfortune, maladministration & severe privations (e.g. 20 per cent of the men died from epidemics) a lasting aversion to conscription was created. In 1812 former French Marshal Bernadotte managed to get the Riksdag to agree to make military service compulsory for men of between 20 and 25 years of age. The nationallbeväring was formed to provide reinforcements and replacements for pre-existing units [e.g. infantry units would take the field with 3 instead of 2 batatlions of 600men each with the beväringsmännen (conscripted soldiers) equally distributed between the battalions].
    Sign DLC petition for improved map for NTW
    Useful Websites |Napoleon: Masters of Europe |
    The Wardrobe of 1805 |Napoleon: Art of War|
    Frederick the Great: Art of War|
    Under the Patronage of Gunny
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Prince of Essling's Avatar Napoleonic Enthusiast
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Sacrebleu! View Post
    Simply a generic militia unit under a different name to add variation to roster composition. Henneburg/Henneberg is a municipality in Thuringia, Saxony (maybe I should call them Thuringia Militia ?).
    I would not rename them Thuringia, as that is in effect the Saxe Duchies area. In 1813 the Duchies raised the : Thüringisches Marschbataillon which defected to Allies in April.

From my "Minor States/Nations Regimental Names " thread at http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=436889&page=2

Landwehr
    In 1809 a 3 company landmiliz battaillon was raised in Henneburg with a total strength of 345 personnel.

This formed the model for the 1813 landwehr, 7 (some sources suggest 5) regiments of 3 battalions and a depot detachment were raised.

In addition 2 battalions of Banner of Saxon Volunteers (Banner der Freiwilligen Sachsen Jäger). Battalions consisted of 4 companies of 100 men each; they were formed as light infantry. 5 squadrons of Banner of Saxon Volunteer Hussars (Banner der Freiwilligen Sachsen Husaren) were formed.

In 1813 National-Burger-Garde of 8 foot companies (each of 108 men) & 1 squadron of mounted Gendarmes (125 men) was formed. HQ of 27 staff.
    Sign DLC petition for improved map for NTW
    Useful Websites |Napoleon: Masters of Europe |
    The Wardrobe of 1805 |Napoleon: Art of War|
    Frederick the Great: Art of War|
    Under the Patronage of Gunny
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

Prince covered the Swedes very well with his thread

About their uniforms; varvade and indelta where both supposed to wear the same uniforms, but the indelta where usually the last to receive the new uniforms, because the varvade where top priority. What era have you based your uniforms on? The 1798, 1807 or 1812 style of coat?

I would also suggest making the Kungens eget värfvade regemente a unique unit, because their uniform was the most unique in the Swedish army (white laced bicorn, white lace on lapels and white chevrons on their sleeves).

left is officer, right is private

Distinguishing between Finnish and Swedish line regiments would be a good idea too, Fins had grey coats, Swedes blue.

Remember the Swedish Royal army didn't have grenadiers like every other nation, their only Grenadiers where the regiments of Lifregementetsbrigadens grenadiercorps, Lifgrenadierregementets rothållsfördelning and Lifgrenadierregementets rusthållsfördelning, which all had unique uniforms compared to the other line regiments.

Finally, I'm going to have to suggest making the Savolax jägarregemente unique, because of their shako

Make sure to destingish between Light and Heavy Dragoons. Heavy usually wear the bicron, Light usually wear the sugarloaf hat (no mesh in game, but there are some fairly close).

Some plates to help you out

1st and 2nd Swedish Guard Regiments

Swedish Heavy Cavalry. Dragoons in the bicorn, and an armoured Cuirassier

Swedish Horse Guard. Light company in Green jacket (could make them a unit )

Swedish Light Cavalry. Hussar on the right, 2 Light Dragoons wearing the sugarloaf helmet in the center, and 2 Light Dragoons wearing shakos on the left.

Line Infantry in the 1807 style coat

The 1798 style coat was probably the most common one throughout the Napoleonic Wars, only some regiments could or would replace them with either the 1807 or 1812 pattern coats.

The 1798 coat is the one with the lapels on the front which are in the first 2 pictures I have posted, 1807 coat is the one without lapels and only a single row of buttons down the center, and the 1812 coat is the Russian style one

Feel free to ask for any more information if needed
    Last edited by Biggus Splenus; December 14, 2012 at 08:18 PM.

Yeh
    Keep henneburg as henneburg milita

Yeh
    Keep henneburg as henneburg milita

Sir_Aggelos_GR's Avatar Centenarius

Very good job.I wait for the greek roster.If only someone could do it for Empire Total war too

Is it the timeframe you like or the game
    If it is the time frame me and splenyi are both doing a mod that covers it
    Mine will cover others so it may take longer

We've prep'd some units for Greece, but I still need to make icons for some units.

Great resource Splenyi Thanks alot. I had a go at the Varvade Regiment - here's the concept at lower res so far.

Westphalian coat is the closest torso skin for the varvade's uniform, which means there's no silver chevron on sleeves. Because to keep BUM size down I cannot edit atlas.diffuse.map

Saxony continues
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Sapper

Cadet Corp

Anhalt Grenadiers (x1 limit)

Swiss Guard (x1 limit)

Freiwillige Jagers

Zastrow's Cuirassiers (x1 limit)

Anhalt Dragoons (x1 limit)

Guard Hussars

Not all the Varvade units look like that, but I like it

Good to see anhalt units
    Keep it up

Sacrebleu, could I maybe see your Swedish roster? Just review it quickly

Quote Originally Posted by Splenyi View Post
    Sacrebleu, could I maybe see your Swedish roster? Just review it quickly
    Sure~ Sweden Infantry

(Please note there are some units from Swiss Halberdier's AUM)
    (From left) General - Life Guard of Foot (Vanilla) - Royal Sweden Life Grenadier (AUM) - Finland Life Guard - Jagers (Vanilla) - Jonkopings Fusilier - Line Infantry (Vanilla) - Norway Fusilier - Sweden Fusilier (AUM) - King's Own Varvade Regiment - Marines - Finland Fusiliers - Sharpshooters - Osterbottens Militia - Militia

(From left) General - Lifeguard Cuirassiers - Life Guards of Horse (Vanilla) - Cuirassiers - Guard Dragoons - Carabiniers - Horse Guard Jagers - Dragoons (Vanilla) - Life Guard Hussars - Scania Dragoons - Moerner's Hussars - Gula's Hussars - Mounted Jagers - Hussars (Vanilla) - Nyland Dragoons - Mounted Militia

Now that is good
    Especially the Finnish fusiliers
    How about the Saxon roster

Ok, here are my HISTORICAL COMMENTS

- I'm not sure where the title "fusilier" is coming from Swedish privates are best know as Musketeers, they had no fusiliers like the French and their allies.
    - The Vanilla "Line Infantry" seem like the closest to the historical Varvade Infantry, so maybe you could create your own "Indelta Infantry" unit? I would suggest the wide brim hat, russian style coat, and yellow plume. Just for some more variety, and it's accurate
    - Your "Lifeguard Cuirassiers" and "Lifeguard Hussars" where not actually part of any Lifeguard, like the Russian guards. They where part of the Life Brigade. So, if you want to name them correctly, simply the "Life Cuirassiers" and "Life Hussars" would be more accurate, because they actually were not Guard by status
    - I would suggest removing the "Cuirassiers" units, because the Swedes only had 1 cuirassier regiment, and that was the life one.
    - I would also suggest removing the Guard Dragoons, because they never existed in the Napoleonic or Revolutionary Era
    - The "Moerner's Hussars" and the "Life Hussars" where the same formation/unit, so maybe just keep the Moerner's Hussars?
    - Gula's Hussars where not in the Napoleonic Era, but I did see you post earlier, and I don't blame you for including them, they are simply beautiful
    - I don't believe the Swedes or Finns ever had a Mounted Militia their horses where already too few to supply the cavalry, which is why they cut them down so much. But if you included them for balance, that's fine
    - Finally, it looks like the Vanilla Dragoons are based on Light Dragoons uniforms, so maybe including your own Heavy Dragoons unit with a similar uniform to your "Scania Dragoons" but with different colours?

That's it hope I can help improve the accuracy of your work

EDIT: One last thing, please create a Finnish Sharpshooter Unit; they were extremely notorious Light Infantry against the invading Russian Armies. This is the uniform that you should use I believe the Denmark atlas set contains the required parts?

Last edited by Biggus Splenus; December 16, 2012 at 04:02 AM.

Ok thanks very much. All inputs are appreciated as it saves me the hassle of searching . I've changed all unit names where applicable.

I've made alot of units for fictitious Napoleonic states from Romania , Catalonia, Greece to Courland. I guess the rationale behind Sweden's Cuirassiers (and indeed BUM in general) are more inclined towards gameplay balance, "what-ifs" scenario and wholesome experience than 100% historical accuracy, much in the same spirit of AUM and CA's vanilla design. I hope to retain units and encourage users to customize their own personal roster setting upon the mod's release.

"Guard Dragoons" was made a long time ago and is based upon Leibgarde zu Pferde, which I think means "Life Guard of Horse". But that name is already taken by a vanilla unit. So shall I rename Sweden's Guard Dragoons to "Horse Guard" instead?

Meanwhile I'll get on with Finland Sharpshooters...

"what-ifs" scenario
    I understand, so like, what if Sweden raised more Cuirassiers.

"Guard Dragoons" was made a long time ago and is based upon Leibgarde zu Pferde, which I think means "Life Guard of Horse". But that name is already taken by a vanilla unit. So shall I rename Sweden's Guard Dragoons to "Horse Guard" instead?
    Well seems as Life Guard of Horse and Horse Guard are the same thing, I would suggest just removing this unit. IF you would like to keep it, however, I cannot help you with he name, because I cannot think of an alternative.

Meanwhile I'll get on with Finland Sharpshooters...
    Good man

EDIT: Concerning the Anhalt units, I think it would be more logical to include them in the Prussian roster, because Anhalt was under Prussian influence, not Saxon. But I guess this mods focus is on the minor nations, so it makes sense in that case.
    Last edited by Biggus Splenus; December 16, 2012 at 05:10 AM.

Defiantly keep anhalt in saxony as it is within the Saxon region
    Will saxony have some saxe duchies in them
    Last edited by agunter999; December 16, 2012 at 03:06 PM.