Thread: Steam Users

Kolwen's Avatar Artifex

Default Steam Users

Foolproof method of getting both Medieval 2: Total War Kindoms (M2TK) to work.

Go to the location where you installed the game or rather where you installed steam.

Steam\steamapps\commmon\medieval ii total war\

In there you should see three .exe files: kingdoms.exe, launcher.exe, medieval2.exe. Before we go any further, backup these
    three files, by copy&pasting them in another location.

To play M2TK, you need to rename the "kingdoms.exe" file.
    So,
    • copy/paste the three .exe files that you backed up before (Pre-STEP 1), back into the game folder (overwrite as necessary)
    • Now, delete "launcher.exe" and "medieval2.exe".
    • Then rename "kingdoms.exe" to "launcher.exe".
    • Within the steam client, my games tab select, M2TK, then right-click, go to properties.
    • Select "set launch options".

In this field, you can enter the following commandline which would then launch the mod.

The Sundering
    Code:
    --features.mod=mods/The_Sundering

Now when you launch M2TK it will load up whichever commandline option you set it to launch. Please note, that you should always launch M2TK and not M2T. Launching M2T would just give you a splash screen and then crash to desktop.

Finally, the only problem or hassle with this method is that you've to change the commandline everytime you want to play a different campaign.

Thanks to:
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...d.php?t=784119
    gholam_joe and Comrade-Alucard
    Last edited by Kolwen; September 30, 2012 at 01:23 PM.

Default Re: Steam Users

any steam users use this (who had the load screen crash) does it work?

also what do you change the launch option back to if you want to play the origional?

this does work

NOTE: however you have to drop the .exe tag on the launcher file for it to work. dont make it launcher.exe just make it launcher

Quote Originally Posted by blackfalcon View Post
    this does work

NOTE: however you have to drop the .exe tag on the launcher file for it to work. dont make it launcher.exe just make it launcher
    I tried just labeling it launcher but it still crashed even when I tried, I have been having issues but they really need to create either a video on youtube to show (because I dont know what I am doing wrong) or give me a step by step approach.

I did this, followed instructions to the letter, and even changed launcher.exe to just launcher is blackfalcon recommended. I get an error that says "This game is currently unavailable (corrupt game files)."

If I keep launcher as launcher exe I get the Sundering intro screen with the witch king and then it crashes. I have restored it to normal for now.

Kolwen's Avatar Artifex

Have you tried the Kingdoms App Launcher?
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=410461

Yup, I have been using that since the beginning. I play Broken Crescent, SS 6.4, Third Age with MOS submod, and Sundering. Of them all Sundering is the only one with the crash. I'm not saying you guys did anything wrong or that thousands of folks aren't happily playing the mod with no problems at all, because it's clear they are, but in my specific case based on my specific system all those other mods do/have something Sundering does not to avert the problem. I sent you my units file in the other crash thread Kolwen. I just attached it to the post. Thanks!

Kolwen's Avatar Artifex

I'm sorry MAurelius11, I have not idea about what's wrong with your installation. I can only suggest you to reinstall your game just in case some of the other mods had modifyed the M2TW vanilla files, but I don't know if that may fix your problem.

Hey that's ok. You guys are a small mod team and doing a great job. I'm sure at some point it will be figured out. Thanks for trying!

Kolwen's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by MAurelius11 View Post
    Hey that's ok. You guys are a small mod team and doing a great job. I'm sure at some point it will be figured out. Thanks for trying!
    I will try to make a video tutorial about how to install the mod. I will contact you by PM when it's done.