Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RS II + SSD

Ye Olde Fahrt's Avatar Miles

Default RS II + SSD

So, finally decided to splash out some cash for a 60 GB SSD (OCZ Tech).

I mainly bought it with RS II in my mind, as the load times bw Campaign map and Battle map get a bit tedious.

Ran a (very) simple test:

Loading the campaign file (UAC 618 W)

SSD: 28.7 sec
    HDD: 58.4 sec

Loading the Battle map (random smallish battle):

SSD: 14.9 sec
    HDD: 33.8 sec

Exiting a battle, loading the Campaign map again:

SSD: 27.5 sec
    HDD: 42.1 sec

A tad disappointed, to be honest.

I was sort of hoping to buzz in and out between maps in say 5 to 10 sec per piece. I have a 2.6 MHz rig with W7 64b.

Thought I'd share this. Anyone having better luck re. load times?
    My garden may be smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum. - Roma Surrectum III

Default Re: RS II + SSD

How much RAM memory have you got? That can make a big difference to load times...possibly the biggest difference

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

karamazovmm's Avatar スマトラ警備隊

I have much lower loading times, I do have i5 2315m, 8gb 1333mhz, and 120gb ssd.

the 64gb models are the slowest of them all, the 256gb is the best in terms of performance. not to mention bang for the buck as well

The very ugly forgive, but beauty is essential - Vinicius de Moraes

I've got 4 gigs of RAM. I guess it is the age of the rig as a whole that is keeping me down.

It IS a nice upgrade. Just thought the change would be even bigger.
    My garden may be smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum. - Roma Surrectum III

yeah adding a SSD makes things go quick, but sometimes it aint quick as we would/are expect/ing

As I said 64gb is the slowest of the bunch, and their price makes them one of the most expensive ones to buy in terms of dolar/gb, its usually around a 1/1 ratio, while a 256gb can be found for 0.5/1 ratio or even less, hell I saw a toshiba 512gb ssd for 0.35/1 ratio some days ago, it was a sata2 ssd sure, but its still one hell of a price

Also one thing to keep in mind, its always a good measure to leave 20% free of the SSD, so around 12-15gb for you should be left unused. Also dont use win xp, use vista or later on it

Quote Originally Posted by Karamazovmm View Post
    Also one thing to keep in mind, its always a good measure to leave 20% free of the SSD, so around 12-15gb for you should be left unused.
    You don't need to do that anymore with new SSDs. The new controllers' performances don't take a hit when the disk is full.

Quote Originally Posted by carmir View Post
    You don't need to do that anymore with new SSDs. The new controllers' performances don't take a hit when the disk is full.
    yes they do and you still need to do that

I have much lower loading times, I do have i5 2315m, 8gb 1333mhz, and 120gb ssd.

the 64gb models are the slowest of them all, the 256gb is the best in terms of performance. not to mention bang for the buck as well
    So how long does it take for you to have the game displaying the Campaign map, from the moment you double click a saved file on Load Campaign page of the main menu.

Curious

I got around 15s, and mine is a sata 2 ssd running in IDE mode, its 120se btw in a seleucid campaign

I got around 15s, and mine is a sata 2 ssd running in IDE mode, its 120se btw in a seleucid campaign
    Not bad, from one minute (my HDD) to 15 secs.

Possibly has to do with CPU as well, as I have an oldish AMD quad-2.6 GHz thingie.

chris10's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Ye Olde Fahrt View Post
    Loading the campaign file (UAC 618 W)
    SSD: 28.7 sec
    HDD: 58.4 sec

Loading the Battle map (random smallish battle):
    SSD: 14.9 sec
    HDD: 33.8 sec

Exiting a battle, loading the Campaign map again:
    SSD: 27.5 sec
    HDD: 42.1 sec

A tad disappointed, to be honest.
    I was sort of hoping to buzz in and out between maps in say 5 to 10 sec per piece. I have a 2.6 MHz rig with W7 64b.
    Thought I'd share this. Anyone having better luck re. load times?
    Your load times have been cut by close to 50% average, which is entirely and completely within the technical parameters when comparing average SSD to average HDD performances...so what ?...............
    Last edited by chris10; October 01, 2012 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chris10 View Post
    Your load times have been cut by close to 50% average, which is entirely and completely within the technical parameters when comparing average SSD to average HDD performances...so what ?...............
    because when we rub the lamp something appears?

there is a terrible misconception with SSD, people think that everything is instant, its not. its quite faster and once you go ssd you never go black

Quote Originally Posted by chris10 View Post
    Ahhh... Parameters, scharameters... How very boring

because when we rub the lamp something appears?
    Hey it worked for Aladdin!

there is a terrible misconception with SSD, people think that everything is instant, its not. its quite faster and once you go ssd you never go black
    Yes, warmly recommended! Installing it was a breeze, and deffo would not go back to old ways of things now that I have it
    Last edited by Ye Olde Fahrt; October 02, 2012 at 06:15 AM.

It matters on the RAM a lot. Because it is what causes the "Random Access Memory" to load up.
    And, Not only the size, We also have to look at the frequency of the RAM, i.e (400/800/1333/1600 MHz). It can make a huge difference.
    Last edited by MemphisRex; October 02, 2012 at 11:26 AM.
    Marcus Claudius Aurelius

@Ye Olde Fahrt the joke about the lamp was because chris10 avatar is diablo from FF8, which you can get by rubbing a lamp

@MemphisRex ram doesnt work that way

@MemphisRex ram doesnt work that way
    Yeah. I am sorry, was kinda confused, But, I was basically talking about the frequency.
    Marcus Claudius Aurelius

@Ye Olde Fahrt the joke about the lamp was because chris10 avatar is diablo from FF8, which you can get by rubbing a lamp
    OK, I guess this just proves I have chosen my user name... accurately...

@ all - dont worry we dont have to know everything, and FF8 is a fairly old game I played when I was in high school

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisRex View Post
    It matters on the RAM a lot. Because it is what causes the "Random Access Memory" to load up.
    And, Not only the size, We also have to look at the frequency of the RAM, i.e (400/800/1333/1600 MHz). It can make a huge difference.
    The gains in terms of frequency within a architecture are minimal, it will boost performance just not enough to advocate for higher speed. For example a 1066mhz DDR3 would be around 15% slower than a 2800mhz, and given that for 8gb (2x 4gb) you have to pay around 270 bucks instead of 35 bucks for the former, you get the idea of how much not worth is that.

if you want to know more read these articles:
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2002/07/caching/
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2011/...d-performance/
    http://arstechnica.com/information-t...s-really-work/

those explain somethings that give us a good performance boost with marginal costs, instead of major costs like exceedingly expensive ram.

and here is some basic things on how ram works (yes wikipedia in terms of pcs is fairly good for basic knowledge)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random-access_memory
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_latency
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-channel_architecture

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    @ all - dont worry we dont have to know everything, and FF8 is a fairly old game I played when I was in high school

The gains in terms of frequency within a architecture are minimal, it will boost performance just not enough to advocate for higher speed. For example a 1066mhz DDR3 would be around 15% slower than a 2800mhz, and given that for 8gb (2x 4gb) you have to pay around 270 bucks instead of 35 bucks for the former, you get the idea of how much not worth is that.

if you want to know more read these articles:
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2002/07/caching/
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2011/...d-performance/
    http://arstechnica.com/information-t...s-really-work/

those explain somethings that give us a good performance boost with marginal costs, instead of major costs like exceedingly expensive ram.

and here is some basic things on how ram works (yes wikipedia in terms of pcs is fairly good for basic knowledge)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random-access_memory
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_latency
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-channel_architecture

Thanks mate, that is really gonna help me.
    Marcus Claudius Aurelius

I ran some tests some times back on loading times (specifically, start loading times), and I found out that RTW did a lot of caching.
    On a HDD, I believe it was about 50 seconds the first time, and down to 15-20 the next one on my computer.

I don't know how much a SSD would affect that though.
    Under the patronage of apple.
    Patron of ybbon66.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast