Page 11 of 164 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920213661111 ... LastLast

Thread: DCI: Last Alliance - Open Beta released, NEW: 10 October 2020 new patch released, contains Ents - Wolves - Spiders crashes fix! (and more)

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Default Re: DCI: Last Alliance - WIP

Not any specifics, not looked at that yet, but new for many of them at least. On the top of my head intention to keep Rhûns and OotMM's but the rest will be put to consideration or are clear they'll have to change.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor of Hell View Post
    Do you question the knowledge of Ngugi ? I am not sure about Cirith Ungol but I Minas Ithil definitely existed already. It was built to guard Osgiliath from the east.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    I'm not right all the time haha, not ashamed to admit, but generally I have backing when I claim something ^^

The war began with Sauron taking Minas Ithil, it had been built during the same time as Osgiliath just as Minas Anor (later M. Tirith) and Orthanc, so it has to be in hehe

Cirith Ungol is the name of the pass trough the mountains, at this time nameed Cirith Dúath. Since it was used by Sauron's forces to assult Minas Ithil Mordor apperently controlled it (as with the rest of the mountains before the war) and a settlement is still proper therefor. Not the Tower of Cirith Ungol naturally but a fort non the less
    The Tower was correctly Gondorian:
    Haha no I Am not questioning Ngugi knowledge . It just that though that they where built after the Alliance victory in order to guard Mordor is evil where to rise again.

Question I was reading the first page about the Invasions & Gomaethram
    the Kingdom of Lindon, Kingdom of Arnor and Kingdom of Gondor can all call Gomaethram , Lothlorien & Eryn Galen can join them does this apply to the AI ? and The Kingdom of Khaza-Dum and Rhovanion can only join if controlled by the player ?
    Last edited by Pyres Δt Varanasi; December 01, 2012 at 09:07 PM.

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

changethe Symbols, Ngugi. The current ones are beautiful, but very CoW-like

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Lor'themar the Great View Post
    Question I was reading the first page about the Invasions & Gomaethram the Kingdom of Lindon, Kingdom of Arnor and Kingdom of Gondor can all call Gomaethram , Lothlorien & Eryn Galen can join them does this apply to the AI ? and The Kingdom of Khaza-Dum and Rhovanion can only join if controlled by the player ?
    Lothlorien & Eryn Galen - can call if player, can join if player or AI
    Khaza-Dum & Rhovanion - can only join if player

(Arnor & Gondor - these are combined into one faction)

Quote Originally Posted by Withwnar View Post
    Lothlorien & Eryn Galen - can call if player, can join if player or AI
    Khaza-Dum & Rhovanion - can only join if player

(Arnor & Gondor - these are combined into one faction)
    Ahh ok Nice , Ahh even better Arnor & Gondor United.

I know Arnor, Anorien(sp?), and Ithilien were are closely allied at the time of the LA given they were all ruled by one family, but is it not more correct to at least separate them into the Northern and Southern Kingdoms? Their governance before the war was separate and not coordinated and, after the war, they did not unite the kingdom and rule it from one throne. Isildur departed to rule the North separately and that is how they remained for the entirety of the Third Age.

I don't think it had anything to do with any ring-corrupted hubris creeping in as he hadn't had the ring that long, Sauron's power right then was the weakest it had ever been, and it was just the sensible thing to do given they had already established both lineages of Isuldur and Anarion as kings.

So, given the fact that the two were never under one power, I think it more appropriate for them to be separate. BTW, can't wait to play it. 2nd on my wanted list after War of the Silmarils(or maybe 3rd after Westeros).

Unless this is a minor lore sacrifice for playability. Then I'll grudgingly understand as long as you don't go PJ with it.
    What's life like if you don't take a chance now and then? ~ Matrim Cauthon

Quote Originally Posted by deusvult6 View Post
    I know Arnor, Anorien(sp?), and Ithilien were are closely allied at the time of the LA given they were all ruled by one family, but is it not more correct to at least separate them into the Northern and Southern Kingdoms? Their governance before the war was separate and not coordinated and, after the war, they did not unite the kingdom and rule it from one throne. Isildur departed to rule the North separately and that is how they remained for the entirety of the Third Age.

I don't think it had anything to do with any ring-corrupted hubris creeping in as he hadn't had the ring that long, Sauron's power right then was the weakest it had ever been, and it was just the sensible thing to do given they had already established both lineages of Isuldur and Anarion as kings.

So, given the fact that the two were never under one power, I think it more appropriate for them to be separate. BTW, can't wait to play it. 2nd on my wanted list after War of the Silmarils(or maybe 3rd after Westeros).

Unless this is a minor lore sacrifice for playability. Then I'll grudgingly understand as long as you don't go PJ with it.
    At the Time of the LA Elendil Rule the Northern Kingdom (Arnor) while Anarion and Isildur ruled the Southern Kingdom (Gondor) but Elendil ruled as High-King of Arnor & Gondor. Arnor was where the seat of the High-King stood and he ruled both kingdoms but he stayed in the north.

Arnor and Gondor was two kingdoms but united under one High-king, as 1st Viscount' say, and would had remained under one overlord, unless Isildur would had died.
    While we could have them as two separate factions they are at this time more proper as the one united kingdom, both from a lore perspective and from a gameplay perspective as it will create a very new and different experience, gains as well as challenges
    There they established in the North-west the Númenorean realms in exile, Arnor and Gondor. Elendil was the High King and dwelt in the North at Annúminas; and the rule in the South was committed to his sons, Isildur and Anárion.
    - Appendix A

After the fall of Sauron, Isildur, the son and heir of Elendil, returned to Gondor. There he assumed the Elendilmir as King of Arnor, and proclaimed his sovereign lordship over all the Dúnedain in the North and in the South;
    - UT; The Disaster of the Gladden Fields

"Elendil had two sons, of whom Isildur was the elder and the heir of his father. We have heard that the name of Elendil stands to this day at the head of the line of the Kings of Gondor, since he was accounted the high king of all the lands of the Dúnedain.
    While Elendil still lived, the conjoint rule in the South was committed to his sons; but when Elendil fell, Isildur departed to take up the high kingship of his father, and committed the rule in the South in like manner to the son of his brother. He did not relinquish his royalty in Gondor, nor intend that the realm of Elendil should be divided for ever."
    - Arvedui the last king of Arthedain, Appendix A

"Arvedui you shall call him, for he will be the last in Arthedain. Though a choice will come to the Dúnedain, and if they take the one that seems less hopeful, then your son will change his name and become king of a great realm. If not, then much sorrow and many lives of men shall pass, until the Dúnedain arise and are united again."
    - Malbeth the Seer to Arvedui's father, Appendix A
    Last edited by Ngugi; December 03, 2012 at 08:51 AM.

Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Arnor and Gondor was two kingdoms but united under one High-king, as 1st Viscount' say, and would had remained under one overlord, unless Isildur would had died.
    While we could have them as two separate factions they are at this time more proper as the one united kingdom, both from a lore perspective and from a gameplay perspective as it will create a very new and different experience, gains as well as challenges
    How will you deal with the corruption since this is a problem with faction who have separated territories to far from the capital ? Via Script or editing the game files ?

Withwnar has created a great script that add law bonuses to the core land provinces, amount depending on distance to capital meaning further away give a greater law bonus.
    As it, intentionally since any vast empire do face this issue, only apply to starting regions get this, we'll presumably toss in an additional building to lower unrest.

Withwnar has created a great script that add law bonuses to the core land provinces, amount depending on distance to capital meaning further away give a greater law bonus.
    As it, intentionally since any vast empire do face this issue, only apply to starting regions get this, we'll presumably toss in an additional building to lower unrest.
    Ohh Yeah It Should Only Apply to starting regions since if not it would be to easy to expand.

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    changethe Symbols, Ngugi. The current ones are beautiful, but very CoW-like
    Ops, thought I replied on this one Indeed, as said I only considered to maintain is OotMM and Rhûn, and not sure even they'll remain

EDIT:

@ anybody
    Tossed in some screen shot cuts into the OP's preview. Beside the glimpse of Withwnar's epic core-land script building in action nothing spectaculare but non teh less there they are
    Last edited by Ngugi; December 03, 2012 at 07:50 PM.

Ops, thought I replied on this one Indeed, as said I only considered to maintain is OotMM and Rhûn, and not sure even they'll remain

EDIT:

@ anybody
    Tossed in some screen shot cuts into the OP's preview. Beside the glimpse of Withwnar's epic core-land script building in action nothing spectaculare but non teh less there they are
    They look really nice . Question Wasn't the Kingdom of Lindon a little bigger than the one it shows in the Starting Faction Map ?

Unclear, but considering the known boarders of Arnor* I would not think so, possibly it stretched a bit further along the coast. But dates for when boarders went where is not well known so decided to go with this eastward front and considering the battle strenght of the High-Elves of Lindon let them remain in, well, Lindon hehe

* http://www.glyphweb.com/ARDA/a/arnor.html

Unclear, but considering the known boarders of Arnor* I would not think so, possibly it stretched a bit further along the coast. But dates for when boarders went where is not well known so decided to go with this eastward front and considering the battle strenght of the High-Elves of Lindon let them remain in, well, Lindon hehe

* http://www.glyphweb.com/ARDA/a/arnor.html
    Where your right besides the focus of the game are the Numenorian Kingdoms in Exile.

Will, according to our intent, at least be the most challenging faction to play!

Heavy units but without high replentish rates and limited cavalry.
    Much territory and income, but much to defend therefore.
    Facing Hillmen of the North above the Arnor-realm and Wildmen of Enedwaith in the south as well as perhaps OotMM from the east, while you at the same time down in the Gondor-realm must raise armies to keep Mordor and Harad away, with the Men of the Mountain in the north who may prove Oathbreakers and perhaps Wildmen of Enedwaith storming in from the northwest - you're in for a strategic treat
    Last edited by Ngugi; December 04, 2012 at 02:51 AM.

Will the Dwarves have something similar as they look to be a scattered bunch of single mountain halls or is that something you just have to deal with? Will they only be one faction? I don't remember the history of Durin's Folk that well.

I saw the note about Rammas Echor and wondered if you'll be redesigning Minas Anor with the 1st tier wall of the impenetrable black stone. Custom settlements certainly are not a priority and it might be OPed counter to gaming interests but lore is lore. BTW, was there anywhere else besides Orthanc that they used that sorcerous stonework, like up north?
    Last edited by deusvult6; December 04, 2012 at 07:31 AM.

While people requested a Ered Luin faction in vanilla and about every mods hehe I have and still strongly argue against it. Why?
    From lore perspective they [the Broadbeams and Firebeards] as far as we are informed had the same king as the Longbeards since the last 3300 years, when the kingdoms in the Blue mountains were destroyed. Neither kingdom of these are mentioned nor any king.
    After the end of the First Age the power and wealth of Khazad-dûm was much increased; for it was enriched by many people and much lore and craft when the ancient cities of Nogrod and Belegost in the Blue Mountains were ruined at the breaking of Thangorodrim.
    - Appendix A

ca 40 Many dwarves leaving their old cities in Ered Luin go to Moria and swell its numbers.
    - Appendix B
    After Moria fell we are never told they left their Longbeard regents and some Longbeard kings straight foreward lived in Ered Luin, the last was Thorin whom we soon meet in The Hobbit, IMO pointing at that the three houses of the West lived togehter just as Noldor, Sindar, Nandor and Silvans; it applies for Lórien as well.
    An argument against it is the seven hoards of the seven things referred to been the Dwarven hoards, but that's the only suggestion the Ered Luin-houses would have a king of their own anywhere any longer. However that might be simply a myth, so I will stick to a single Dwarven faction.
    It is said that the foundation of each of the Seven Hoards of the Dwarf-kings of old was a golden ring;
    - Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age

But are not evil by nature, and few ever served the Enemy of free will, whatever the tales of Men alleged. For Men of old lusted after their wealth and the work of their hands, and there has been enmity between the races.
    - Appendix F
    And from a gameplay perspective as the fragmented geographical situation makes for a more interesting, different and challenging campaigns compaired to regulair geographically connected factions.
    The so far only reasonable argument for a Dwarven split (more factions for the sake of more factions is not a heavy argument in itself) so far has been the corruption question, but to create a new faction in the honestly quite sleepy NW corner of the map to avoid corruption seems a bit far going.

We do not have any settlement skinner atm, and prio one would be to redesign Minas Morgul in such case, but will keep the wall part in mind
    Last edited by Ngugi; December 04, 2012 at 06:53 PM.

I see what you mean about the NW corner, I only mentioned it because I remember it talking about Thorin and the other Erebor exiles living amongst strangers of different families, which I took to be a people entirely separate from Durin's Folk, but it's probably just the different clans you mention. Didn't mean to bring up old arguments.

Didn't even think of Minas Ithil. Sounds good to me.

Thanks for the reply and keep up the great work.

No worry, this was a modified (and expanded) version of my saved standard answer on the topic. Presume it will pop up again so just as good creating a proper post for it ^^

Thanks, we're glad to hear about folks anticipation and progress is constant