Thread: DCI: Last Alliance - Open Beta released, NEW: 10 October 2020 new patch released, contains Ents - Wolves - Spiders crashes fix! (and more)

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Default Re: DCI: Last Alliance - Settlement preview part 4 out (page 102) + faction leaders sneak peak (page 103)

Quote Originally Posted by Araval View Post
    The Last Alliance of Veterans^^

Where do I sign up?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Viper View Post
    (...)I've become a veteran and don't play TATW and its mods a lot anymore. But waiting for this mod to play in another age and have one big epic last hurrah!
    Of course I do not agree that becoming a Veteran automatically means you don't play TATW and its mods (a lot) anymore.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Dutch-Balrog's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: DCI: Last Alliance - Settlement preview part 4 out (page 102) + faction leaders sneak peak (page 103)

Will you be editing Minas Anor and remove most of the buildings at the first level, and make the Othram dark/black?

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Nope; Minas Anor is a castle proper in DCI, but the former suggestion has not been considered (dunno how much of a pain it would be to edit to begin with).
    The latter we had up for discussions and did some tests with, but we could never get the black wall to look good, so we decided to not invest more time trying; while if someone else make a good version of it, we'll be happy to test it out.
    Personally I'm actually, from a support perspective, quite happy it's so, since while I know that we otherwise would get lots of annyong comments like "My wall is bugged!" and "What the have u done 2 Minas Tirith, u hax!?" haha

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Dutch-Balrog's Avatar Domesticus

Just give it a darker wall texture that's all methinks. But it won't be a custom settlement? You're making it a regular castle?

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch-Balrog View Post
    Just give it a darker wall texture that's all methinks. But it won't be a custom settlement? You're making it a regular castle?
    I think he meant they will just be turning it into a castle instead of it remaining a city as it is now in TATW.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch-Balrog View Post
    It's supposed to be black as Orthanc. We won't make a half-baked swarthy wall instead, and still get all the complaints, no sir

Quote Originally Posted by bushmonster951 View Post
    I think he meant they will just be turning it into a castle instead of it remaining a city as it is now in TATW.
    Spot on

Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Amazing looking work throughout the thread. So DCI Last Alliance is a Second Age take on TATW? Due to finish my first ever TATW campaign so, was planning on installing Withwnar's submod collection (as I don't wish to deviate too much from 3.2 currently) and playing another Third Age campaign....but this looks very intriguing

Aye, that's the gist of it, hehe. The setting of this submod is the ending war of the Second Age [by most best known from the intro summary in the FotR film], some 3000 years before LotR took place.
    Thanks, we're doing out utmost

ekusik's Avatar Foederatus

Ngugi, does your team have a plan to take a "old" shield for Numenorean infantary?
    like this
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I think current(other mod) Arnor Shield matches for Reborn Arnor but shield with direct symbol of white tree is better for old Arnor.
    Because they are also guard Gondor fortresses, and Gondorians soldiers have white tree marked shield at the end of third age.

Kindjal83's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    Nope; Minas Anor is a castle proper in DCI, but the former suggestion has not been considered (dunno how much of a pain it would be to edit to begin with).
    The latter we had up for discussions and did some tests with, but we could never get the black wall to look good, so we decided to not invest more time trying; while if someone else make a good version of it, we'll be happy to test it out.
    Personally I'm actually, from a support perspective, quite happy it's so, since while I know that we otherwise would get lots of annyong comments like "My wall is bugged!" and "What the have u done 2 Minas Tirith, u hax!?" haha
    The guys at Fourth-Age Total War have built an excelent Minas Ithil. Maybe they can lend you their help... Or let you use the textures, altought I don't know how feesable would be to use Barbarian Invasion textures in the Med2 engine. I will post you the link...

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Patch-Released!

@eksuik
    Hello, yes they will keep the vanilla version. A nice option you presented, but I would argue the other way around; the emblem on it seems less extravagant, and thus more fitting for the simpler late Third Age, where Arnor rises from ashes, reconstructed by Rangers and the rustic inhabitants of Eriador, such as Bree. While the vanilla emblem is more fancy, and more akin to what a high peak empire might fashion itself with.
    But I'm sure that if others share your perception, you are most welcome to make a submod with that change, once we're out
    (As a side note, the tree was never the symbol of Arnor, only Gondor; there never was a Tree in Arnor; in DCI we do not use the Tree symbol for the "Arnor units", and on those that are avilable everywhere not everywhere, for this reason)

@Kindjal83
    Thanks for the suggestion, mate! A nice model indeed (just played it once, as Harondor, but never fought at Minas Tirith then; had good fun), but it do have white wall as well, so it offers not an alternative towards a lore-apperance I'm afraid
    For the main wall of the City was of great height and marvellous thickness, built ere the power and craft of Númenor waned in exile; and its outward face was like to the Tower of Orthanc, hard and dark and smooth, unconquerable by steel or fire, unbreakable except by some convulsion that would rend the very earth on which it stood.
    - RotK
    Last edited by Ngugi; February 04, 2017 at 11:45 AM.

Thank you Ngugi.
    (As a side note, the tree was never the symbol of Arnor, only Gondor; there never was a Tree in Arnor; in DCI we do not use the Tree symbol for the "Arnor units", and on those that are avilable everywhere not everywhere, for this reason
    Yes, this is the other reason why I provide this suggestion. Numenorien infantry is not AOR unit so I wonder Gondor symbol on shield is interesting.
    But I also agree my sample are less extravagant and I convince your answer.

Put aside of this, recent preview are all amazing!
    Black Numenorean of Umbar is far better than I expect. I'm looking forward to fight with(or defend my faction from) them!
    Enedwith Ulfhethnar seems very heavy unit. Their charge would be so powerful!

And two more questions.
    Rescent post of TheEliteDwarf in DaC matches your dream.
    For a few years my great dream has been to replace most resources with villages-models, as in a sheep farm instead fo a sheep, on the strat map.
    Do you have a plan of using his work?
    Next is about Numenorean Kingdoms.
    What type of Bodyguard unit do they have? Mounted or Dismounted? May be Belfaras has his AOR bodyguards, but others?

You're in good company concerning Harad, think they're the most buzzed about faction so far. And it's a pleasure to kick their asses back to Harad, when you're playing as any of the Alliance-factions, especially the Numenorean kingdoms in my experience, haha ^^
    The Ulfhethnar are a delight to unleash upon the enemy, showing the cocky Dúnedain why "savage" isn't only a derogatory term!

Indeed, indeed, hehe, and TheEliteDwarf done a swell job, making the ME map more alive
    We will likely ask, though it may depend on their policy of none-published work (we for example do not share our material before DCI been released and our material is out in public, such speaking), and also we have a contact who's poking at it as well, so we may have an additional source to evaluate before we make any final decisions.

Well, Harad is interesting faction and civil war between Kings Men and Elendili is one aspect of Last Alliance!

Thank you for answering many questions. I wait final release.
    (note: You may find interesting resource from EB2. I remembered this from new preview of Umbar battlemap. If you already know, sorry.)

Fully agree, the House of Elendil vs Herumor and Fuinur's renegades is a worthy vendetta!

Hope you shall enjoy it!
    Certainly, we're on friendly terms with EB2, our team mate xHolyCrusader is also with EB2, so we share some settlements (see the section Northmen & Native Men) and we got our slinger animations, as well as a slinger model to remodel, from them
    Last edited by Ngugi; February 06, 2017 at 08:38 AM. Reason: typo

Enjoy a Rhûn Confederacy unit cards preview

Top row: standard infantry

• Eastern Tribesmen
    • Rhunnic Spearmen
    • Rhunnic Swordsmen
    • Haerhûn Guardsmen [from Haerhûn, but avilable from desert caravans]

Second row: standard missile units

• Eastern Archers
    • Rhunnic Slingers

Third row: standard cavalry

• Rhûn Riders
    • Rhûn Horsearchers
    • War-Chariot
    • Rhûn Bodyguard

Fourth row: Balchoth court units

• Balchoth Tribesmen
    • Balchoth Lancers
    • Balchoth Sicas

Fifth row: Khand court units

• Khand Infantry
    • Khand Marksmen

Sixth row: Haerhûn court units

• Haerhûn Axemen
    • Haerhûn Lancers

Credits:
    Footsoldier cards by Araval
    Cavalry cards by misteed

The faction preview is found here
    Last edited by Ngugi; February 09, 2017 at 04:18 PM.

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: DCI: Last Alliance - Settlement preview part 4 (page 102) + faction leaders sneak peak (page 103) + Rhûn unit cards preview (page 104)

Looking good. The War-Chariot and Balchoth Sicas ones especially.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Default Re: DCI: Last Alliance - Settlement preview part 4 (page 102) + faction leaders sneak peak (page 103) + Rhûn unit cards preview (page 104)

Keep up the great work guys!

GRAND ARCHITECT OF THE DWARVEN EMPIRE

Tar-Falassion's Avatar Tiro

Amazing Rhûnnic units Ngugi, the hype keeps building even though it's already off the roof !!! I have really high expectations for the new recruitment system for this faction !

And I have to agree with ekusik the civil war between the King's Men and the Elendili is probably the most interesting aspect of the Last Alliance ^^

Actually I even remember reading in a RPG-material text that Herumor and Fuinur were made to be literal renegades, as they (according to said text) were rulers of the Dunedain colonies that existed along Lebennin, Anfalas and Belfalas before the 9 ships of Andunië came, and that they refused the rule of Isildur and Anarion, who assumed kingship over all Dunedain of the Belfalas Bay in the name of their father, and fled to the Harnen lands instead, to build a "resistance" against what they deemed a coup d'Etat by Elendil's sons (although at first it was for themselves and they still upheld Faithful customs and beliefs, before Sauron seduced them to the Dark Worship ...).

That would add interesting background, and even actual tragedy for the twin rulers of Harad, as in this scenario they weren't King's Men to begin with, but actually were Faithful in origin. Would you consider taking inspiration from this (as it doesn't inherently conflict with Tolkien's works), or would you rather take a strictly purist approach and only use material from Tolkien's books ?

Quote Originally Posted by Shankbot de Bodemloze View Post
    Looking good. The War-Chariot and Balchoth Sicas ones especially.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEliteDwarf View Post
    Keep up the great work guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Tar-Falassion View Post
    Amazing Rhûnnic units Ngugi, the hype keeps building even though it's already off the roof !!! I have really high expectations for the new recruitment system for this faction !

And I have to agree with ekusik the civil war between the King's Men and the Elendili is probably the most interesting aspect of the Last Alliance ^^

Actually I even remember reading in a RPG-material text that Herumor and Fuinur were made to be literal renegades, as they (according to said text) were rulers of the Dunedain colonies that existed along Lebennin, Anfalas and Belfalas before the 9 ships of Andunië came, and that they refused the rule of Isildur and Anarion, who assumed kingship over all Dunedain of the Belfalas Bay in the name of their father, and fled to the Harnen lands instead, to build a "resistance" against what they deemed a coup d'Etat by Elendil's sons (although at first it was for themselves and they still upheld Faithful customs and beliefs, before Sauron seduced them to the Dark Worship ...).

That would add interesting background, and even actual tragedy for the twin rulers of Harad, as in this scenario they weren't King's Men to begin with, but actually were Faithful in origin. Would you consider taking inspiration from this (as it doesn't inherently conflict with Tolkien's works), or would you rather take a strictly purist approach and only use material from Tolkien's books ?
    As far as we can tell, the tribves makes it fresh and appricated to experience Rhun again ^^

Númenórean Dynasties! ...sounds like a soap opera
    "The Dwarves and the Beautiful"?
    "Anorien"?
    "Dol Amroth Watch"?

I'm never against outside ideas, for blanks not the least, as long as they fit the overall design and atmosphere of this version of Middle-earth (that naturally tries to be faithful, with a lean against the Dark Age design rather than high fantasy), but when there're lore sources those as a rule prevail.
    That was quite an interesting story pitch, as it expands the complexity of arrival of the House of Elendil to Middle-earth (which is quite striaght foreward in lore, something I sometimes wondered over, if also because of a long history build up excuses it), and adds more tragedy, quite in the spirit of Tolkien.
    Three reasons we won't go that path however. Not only because 1) the only reference about them indeed made clear they are King's Men/BNs, but also because 2) that would feel very unfair to the BNs, as it makes two of only four known individuals in history suddenly no longer real BNs, as well as our only two post-Akallabeth from the Second Age, and lastly because 3) it is thematically far to alike the Castamir and the rebels-story line in the Third Age.
    Last edited by Ngugi; February 10, 2017 at 07:12 AM.