Page 34 of 164 FirstFirst ... 92425262728293031323334353637383940414243445984134 ... LastLast

Thread: DCI: Last Alliance - Open Beta released, NEW: 10 October 2020 new patch released, contains Ents - Wolves - Spiders crashes fix! (and more)

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Default Re: DCI: Last Alliance - WIP. Preview of Lindon (HE) + the Númenórean roster added

Good questions g'
    Minas Ithil and Minas Arnor was built to be fortresses to ward Osgiliath from Mordor in the east and the wild men of the White Mountains in the west and will be made such in DCI: LA.
    Expect them to start as, and not being possible to upgrade [based on engine limitations to have custom settlements] pass, level Castle [second largest size possible to build]

Arnor will start as less populated all in all according to lore; but Annuminas being the capital and center of Dúnedain presence in the north, as the size of other settlements of Arnor is generally lesser than Gondor's and least two enemies are knocking on the door* it's both credible and presumably grateful that Annuminas is intended to start as huge city. ^^

*as least four fronts are likley much of the time, depending on how to count, for the divided NK their army requirements will strain the economy and make for a hard game

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Default Re: DCI: Last Alliance - WIP. Preview of Lindon (HE) + the Númenórean roster added

I was always under the impression that Arnor was the larger of the two Dunedain Kingdoms at the time of the Last Alliance. I would surely hope that Annuminas would be a Huge City, and perhaps Fornost and Amon Sul starting off as at least Fortresses.\

I don't have my books with me, but I do believe Arnor was the larger and/or more powerful of the Dunedain Kingdoms until it was tremendously weakened during the Last Alliance and the disaster of the Gladden Fields.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    Good questions g'
    Minas Ithil and Minas Arnor was built to be fortresses to ward Osgiliath from Mordor in the east and the wild men of the White Mountains in the west and will be made such in DCI: LA.
    Expect them to start as, and not being possible to upgrade [based on engine limitations to have custom settlements] pass, level Castle [second largest size possible to build]

Arnor will start as less populated all in all according to lore; but Annuminas being the capital and center of Dúnedain presence in the north, as the size of other settlements of Arnor is generally lesser than Gondor's and least two enemies are knocking on the door* it's both credible and presumably grateful that Annuminas is intended to start as huge city. ^^

*as least four fronts are likley much of the time, depending on how to count, for the divided NK their army requirements will strain the economy and make for a hard game
    aggred Minas Anor and Minas Ithil where founded as fortress. Minas Anor only became a city fortress when king Ostoher seventh king of Gondor rebuilt and greatly enlarged it in to the city fortress we know to day and made it his summer residence in my opinon its the same with Fornost Erain it only became a city fortress when it was made the capital of Arthedain in TA 861

@ Duke of Metz
    Arnor was the more noble of the realms, it was the kingdom of Elendil and thus the seat of the High-kings (even if no one was acknowledged by the South after Isildur's death; it was to mark their rightful independence from Arnor as true heirs of Elendil themselves as the Gondorian kings added the crown to their flag), closer connections to the Elves and the larger land mass.
    But the land had less population and especially since the Numenoreans who during the previous centuries moved to Middle-earth had settled in the Gondor area, meaning the Dúnedain or partly Dúnedain population was much greater in Gondor.

(...) began in the end of the Second Age, but became of general importance mainly after the Downfall and the establishment of the 'Realms in Exile' in Arnor and Gondor. These kingdoms penetrated far into Middle-earth, and their kings were recognized beyond their borders as overlords. ... In the South and East Mordor remained impenetrable; but though the extent of Gondor was thus impeded it was more populous and powerful than Arnor.
    - HoME 12; Of Dwarves and Men

[...] Isildur and Anárion were borne away southwards, and at the last they brought their ships up the Great River Anduin, that flows out of Rhovanion into the western sea in the Bay of Belfalas; and they established a realm in those lands that were after called Gondor, whereas the Northern Kingdom was named Arnor. Long before in the days of their power the mariners of Númenor had established a haven and strong places about the mouths of Anduin, in despite of Sauron in the Black Land that lay nigh upon the east. In the later days to this haven came only the Faithful of Númenor, and many therefore of the folk of the coastlands in that region were in whole or in part akin to the Elf-friends and the people of Elendil, and they welcomed his sons.
    - Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age

[The] people of Elendil were not many, for only a few great ships had escaped the Downfall or survived the tumult of the Seas. They found, it is true, many dwellers upon the westshores who came of their own blood, wholly or in part, being descended from mariners and from wardens of forts and havens that had been set there in days gone by;
    - HoME ; The Appendix on Languages: The Languages at the end of the Third Age

@ goldenrichard
    The name Fornost mean 'North fortress' and the position is strategic, we can be sure it was established as a fort thus during Elendil's reign as it existed directly after the war of the LA;
    [Isildur] remained for a year in Gondor, restoring its order and defining its bounds; 2 but the greater part of the army of Arnor returned to Eriador by the Númenórean road torn the Fords of Isen to Fornost.
    -UT
    However every single reference to Fornost refere to it as a city.
    You are pointing at a crucial point here and that's the fact that the kings moved there, and it's only after that Fornost is mentioned as a settlement and not only as a name, making it reasonable to assume it was a fort transformed/grow into a city due to increased political, economical and military significance when the kings of Arthedain settled there 800+ years into the Third Age.
    Thus it will at best start as a castle, but presumably not even so large.

Considering the lesser opposition in the area, mainly Hillmen of the North and Wildmen of Enedwaith, it's actually good game play to not make the settlements to great, which we have not lore to sustain anyway even if folks like to vision it so hehe

Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

when you release?

Originally the thought was around now, haha, but the project have grown in ambition far since it first was initiated and there is much yet to do.
    I do hope for a beta after summer, but to be safe I quote King Kong: "Always late"

knight of meh's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    Originally the thought was around now, haha, but the project have grown in ambition far since it first was initiated and there is much yet to do.
    if you're going to be like that can i humbly suggest setting what will be in the first release in stone and then everything else will be in later releases , if not i foresee the team getting bright ideas every month that pushes back the release date another couple of weeks ...

Haha, well spoken; though as progress is good and we are just as good at rejecting ideas as to come up with them (splendid discussions for creative craftsmen I can tell) I fear not. Features not essential for what is DCI LA core content is not the matter. What is made more ambitious is instead the quality of those original plans.
    As I oft note, I'm not a fan of "more is better" nor easily fancied by what is not required or core gameplay content.

By the way we can drop the Wildmen of Enedwaith can look foreword to slingers and Rhovanion will be previewed this week most likely
    Last edited by Ngugi; April 10, 2013 at 11:45 AM.

In reference to Rhovanion all units are done, it just needs a bit of touching up here and there and other minor things, we'll defiantly have a preview by the end of the week.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Curufin View Post
    In reference to Rhovanion all units are done, it just needs a bit of touching up here and there and other minor things, we'll defiantly have a preview by the end of the week.
    Cool!

One quibble - I don't think Erebor existed at this time. Tale of Years says Erebor was founded in 1999 Third Age.

Quote Originally Posted by Curufin View Post
    Awesome .

I could lend a hand or two if you need some help...
    DCI: Last Alliance: Unit maker. Proud member of The Imperial House of Hader

knight of meh's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by eloris View Post
    One quibble - I don't think Erebor existed at this time. Tale of Years says Erebor was founded in 1999 Third Age.
    the kingdom certainly didn't exist but the settlement might have the texts also say the dwarfs had mined the iron hills for thousands of years and resettled there in numbers when the balrog drove the longbeards out of Moria (also the event that lead to the founding of the kingdom of Erebor)

the short of it is that it is more likely that a settlement existed that the dwarfs expanded on because dwarf halls already existed in the iron hills and it would have been easier to expand those than to start a brand new settlement at Erebor

so TA 1999 is the establishment of the kingdom of Erebor i believe

now to wait to see if Ngugi agrees

Sorry for late replies, been up to much, including the description texts for Rhovanion's roster

@ eloris + knight'
    It's correct the Kingdom of Erebor was not founded until after the destruction of Moria.
    However the mountain Erebor was counted as part of the Longbeards realm (HoME 12; Of Dwarves and Men, footnote 23), though to which degree can be contested. The Longbeards counted the Grey Montain as theirs as well, while how I read it that was already occupied by the Orcs [since early Secon Age] and largely unsettled (if settled at all) until after Moria fell (have had discussions with Beorn on this topic earlier, you may find it).
    My study of the matter and different sources in the past made me reach the conclusion Dwarven precense indeed was likely but control limited. The province and settlement will remain in form and name, start with a decent Dwarven culture while in hands of rebels. The mountain strat map model will remain in some form, because it is the Lonely Mountain, and I assume we will have the village or town moved elsewhere, not been concluded.

@ Earl'
    A nice offer, I'll send you a PM
    Last edited by Ngugi; April 11, 2013 at 01:43 PM.

COme on u guys can't w8 any longer...give me something today..now...PLEASE.......as for EREBOR...the most likely it was mining settlement, or not a settlement at all....NONTHELESS TOLKIEN never said that the Naugrim cut the caves in it....So the caves maybe already existed ...

I think the Rhovanion Roster is coming soon. A few days they said. Looking forward to it.

We the DCI: Last Alliance team are proud to present to you the:

Preview of the roster of Rhovanion!

The Northmen roam the land east of the Misty Mountains, and has done so for more than an Age. The Edain house of Hador, and to a lesser degree the house of Bëor, was a vanguard branch of the Northmen who in the First Age reached Beleriand to fight along the side of the Noldor hosts. Trough them distant kinship to the Dúnedain of Númenor is counted.
    Long before record the Northmen has been assailed by many foes, Men and Orcs of Morgoth not the least as Morgoth hated these renegades who defied Him, but they have protected their lands with vigour. Trough the Second Age the Longbeard Dwarves of Durin's line have been great brothers in arms, while that Alliance faded long ago when the new Dark Lord Sauron made his first own wars upon Middle-earth over a millennia ago friendship till remain. Perhaps it is time to honour old alliances?

Still, the scattered Woodmen in the Vale of Anduin and in Eryn Galen fight next to the Elves, and on the grasslands of Rhovanion, between the Forest and the Sea of Rhûn, strong Northmen realms remain. Ruled by princes in splendid Mead Halls, sometimes united under a proclaimed king, their cavalry secure borders and reputation.
    Later on their decendants became the Rohirrim, but for that great legacy to come true the Northmen must make a stand now. Sauron has returned, and He will not be content before all have bent their knee to Him, or been annihilated.
    Thus the Northmen saddle up, to war, because they will bow knee to no Dark Lord and the earth will tremble under their hooves.

1st Tier:

Warda Spearmen
    From childhood the Northmen is put to the task of guarding the farmholds from animals, and growing up all abled young men are given training how to handle the spear. To hunt wild beast, or to protect land and property from predators who walk on two legs.
    Called together by their chieftains the younger and older peasants form the Warda, the Guard, ready to make use of their basic gear, and their hard earned experience, to protect their lands and homes. Their carry a simple shield from home, but it proves adequate to form a sturdy line of spears, and hold it. As Warda spearmen have littled training or protection they should not be expected to challenge trained foes.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    TATW Rhovanion Spearmen model

Freiswair Warriors
    The sturdy peasants, proud Freemen, are hunters of beasts and raiders of livestock as much as plowmen and shepherds. Boldly they put their skill with the spear in the service of their lords.
    Freiswair use speed and agility to harass the foe with mighty throws, while lightly armoured with helmet and shield they should not be expected to hold for long against more professional opponents in close quarters.
    TATW Rhovanion Hunters model

Mahr Scouts
    Among the traits and skills of the Northmen, no one surpassed the recognition of the Dwarves as that as tamer of beasts. The horse, mahr, was greatly praised and made the Dwarves tie close alliances with Men, to use them as scouts and rapid messengers. While that union broke down after the War of the Elves and Sauron this traditions live on among the Northmen to high praise.
    Farmers who can afford to hold horses, as well as sons of their households, and shepherds deploy in the service of their lords as the Mahr Scouts. Armed with lances they can bring true destruction upon a foe, but lacking protection they should avoid prolonged close combat and the arrows of enemy archers.
    TATW Rhovanion Riders Model

2nd Tier:

Riggswair Companions
    The foremost warriors among the common Freemen are the Riggswair, the Fiercemen. They are often younger sons to landholders and have little land to inherit but great ambitions to fulfill. Therefore they form bands of companions in search for wealth. Armed with axes they have a great capacity to charge enemy lines and get at armoured opponents, but lacking armour themselves, beside their shields, they favour any chance to strike at enemy flanks.
    In difference to their fellow landtillers the companions have no or little land to return to, and are not eager to leave the service of a lord trough whom opportunity to allowance or plunder can make way for a better future.
    For a prince of Rhovanion this is a long term opportunity and if the need arise he may provide the Riggswair better armours to make for a tougher force in battle.

Upgrade 1:

Upgrade 2:

Harjis Spearmen
    Princes oThef Rhovanion face much peril and hold honour in defying anyone opposing them: Orcs and trolls, Avari, Easterlings, or not seldom their own kin, Northmen of other regions and principalities. Therefore the princes of Rhovanion has made sure to always have a body of skilled warriors to raise at need: the Harjis, the Army.
    Donned in a simple but effective mail, with helmet and round shield, the Harjis spearmen are well trained and though soldiers, ready to hold a line against any enemy or charge with the points of their spears at hostile cavalry.

Baúrgs Longbowmen
    The towns and homesteads of the land are required to provide the princes and the king with skilled longbowmen, hunters since childhood and trained with the greater bow when coming of age.
    Light as they, are the Town Bowmen should be kept away from the fray, but the task to keep them safe is an honour to any Northman soldier, who praise the sound of bow strings and whirl of feathers, when they sing in their meadhalls during winter nights.
    TATW Dale Longbowmen Model

Marh Archers
    During the alliance between the Northmen and the Dwarves that kept both folks prosperous during the first half of the Second Age, no fighters among mortal Men were higher esteemed by the Khazad than the horsed archers. In great numbers they would oppose the armies of savage Orcs, pepper them with arrows and bolt away from vain attempts to catch them.
    Nowdays the princes value this skill in turn, a skill that comes from a shepards lifetime on the horseback and daily training from hunting, games and real combat. The Horse Archers are lightly armoured, but maintaining the old traditions of skirmishers only enemy cavalry or archers may pose a true threat to this formidable addition to Rhovanion's fighting forces.

Upgrade:

Marhdrauht Lancers
    Lesser nobles and wealthy Northmen Freemen can afford to don the armour of a warrior and sit up at horseback, eager to charge enemy ranks for land and lord.
    The Horsewarrior Lancers impact is significant and this has played an important role in making Rhovanion's horses a sign for why the Northmen are respected, as well as a most appealing ally to the Númenóreans in Exile.

3d Tier:

Harjis Swordsmen
    The greatest of footmen in the regular fighting forces are the Army Swordmens. Their ranks consist of younger sons of nobles, recognised veterans and other professional soldiers who can afford, or are granted by chieftains and princes, fine mail and great shields.
    Skilled with the sword they are a challenge to any foe, disciplined and undaunted by hostile numbers.

Gafaúrd Housecarls
    The elite infantry of Rhovanion are the Chief Council Housecarls, handpicked men who make up the princes and chieftains personal guardsmen. They wear the greatest avilable armours to protect themselves, even crafted by the Dwarves on occasion, and bring vicious two handed axes into battle, weapons that can penetrate armour in mighty strokes.
    Lacking shield these men are deployed on the battlefield not to hold a line but to breach it, tearing down enemy formations, encouraging the friendly forces who follow in their steps. Holding their honour higher than anything and eager to outshine their fellow housecarls in deeds of valour they often prove the last to leave a struggle, dead or alive.

Harjis Longbowmen
    The finest marksmen among the Baúrgs Longbowmen are selected and equipped with mails and bows of highest quality. The honour that comes with this rank strenghten morale, and the allowance they earn enables a professional lifestyle.
    This include training in close combat arms, making the Army Longbowmen able to hold their ground against melee attacks to some degree.

Marhdrauht Archers
    Perhaps no symbol underline the proud independence the Northmen of Rhovanion fought for and earned as the heavy Horsewarrior Archers. Professional soldiers in service of mighty princes they excel in bringing defeat to the enemy.
    In them are the skilled rider combined with both the keen eyed marksman and with the heavy infantry. For as long as possible or appropriate they send arrows into the enemy host, only to, when need be or fortune present itself, charge into the fray with battle axes, ready to cut heads from shoulders.

Fráujam Horsemen
    The higher nobility upon great steeds is a sight to admire and fear. Clad in excellent armour, often provided by Dwarven traders, and with a lifetime of training they come with earth-trembling thunder and aimed lances upon Orcs or Men or whoever is wittless enough to challenge the might of Rhovanion.
    The men who form the Lord Horsmen also follow their princes or kings into battle as bodyguards, turning him into a force of nature out of steel and flesh.

TATW Horseguards - upon northern heavy horses

Captain

General
    (ignore the graphical glitch on the sword hehe)

Credits:

Credit to Taro for his bag of tricks, sword model for the general/captain, shield belt and a strap model.
    Septa scarabs texture pack from the mount and blade forums.
    Huge credit to Rusichi TW as they work was used as the basis for all these units.
    Also to KK and the rest of the team for making TATW
    Our friend Marcus for the 3-head-horses shield image
    Hopefully I haven't forgotten anyone
    Additional credits:

Fraujam & BG TATW models updated by Araval with swords in scabbards added and new shields.
    Shield textures by paleologos, based on the original model made by King Kong and shield straps by Taro_M.

Enjoy
    !!

I think the Rhovanion Roster is coming soon. A few days they said. Looking forward to it.
    Sooner then you think !
    Last edited by Veteraan; August 06, 2017 at 02:03 PM.

awesome preview!!!! can't wait for more

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: DCI: Last Alliance - WIP. Preview of Rhovanion + Lindon (HE) + the Númenórean roster

Very cool preview, Curufin!