Thread: Napoleons surgeon?

Mighty's Avatar Miles

Icon5 Napoleons surgeon?

I am reading the book "Swords around a Throne", in which the author mentions that Napoleons doctor was someone called Dr.Yvan. I tried searching online for this guy but couldn't find anything interesting.

What I found though, was another name, Dominique Jean Larrey as being Napoleons surgeon.

Can anyone enlighten me in this area?

Did napoleon have one doctor and another surgeon?

Any info is appreciated, and thanks

Angrychris's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Napoleons surgeon?

Sure he had alot of doctors.

Leave it to the modder to perfect the works of the paid developers for no profit at all.

Mighty's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Angrychris View Post
    Sure he had alot of doctors.

Yes I know, but he had his top doctor too, the only doctor that accompanied napoleon personally mostly everywhere. In Swords around a Throne, that person is Dr.Yvan, but Ive also read that this person may also be Larrey.

Odds are slim in getting a whole name. You would need access to an archive to see what conditions and treatments he signed off on.

Leave it to the modder to perfect the works of the paid developers for no profit at all.

Mighty's Avatar Miles

Though how is it possible that I can find info on Larrey and books, but few on Yvan, although some other books do mention him too.

Could be a slew of different reasons. Check out a local college web site and view the professors in the history department. There is almost always a few french historians that focus on post 15 c.

Mighty's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Angrychris View Post
    Could be a slew of different reasons. Check out a local college web site and view the professors in the history department. There is almost always a few french historians that focus on post 15 c.

well I'll try certainly. My advisor is a history professor so I might ask him

But I just hoped someone here had some more info

If you had asked me this three months ago i know someone i could have asked in a minute and you would have had the answer alas no more.

Though I do think that it may be Larrey as i came across that few times when writing a history paper on european medicine last semester
    Proud Liberterian, Let the people choose what is best for them not the federal government

YVAN Alexandre (Alexandre Urbain), né à Toulon (83) le 28.04.1765, † à Paris 1er le 01.12.1839, fils de Louis Yvan, maître maçon, et de Marie Collomb. Chirurgien ordinaire de l'Empereur (1805), chirurgien-major des grenadiers de la Garde impériale, chirurgien en chef de l'hôtel impérial des Invalides. Il a été créé baron de l'Empire le 31.07.1810. Arm. : Écartelé : au 1, d'argent à la tête de Minerve de profil de sable ; au 2, des barons officiers attachés à la maison de l'Empereur ; au 3, de gueules au coq d'argent adextré en chef d'une étoile d'or ; au 4, d'argent au pélican avec sa piété d'azur.
    (http://www.harmattan.fr/auteurs/arti...o_artiste=5768)

basically he benefited from being his favourite surgeon, even being named baron in 1810. and apparently he wasn't the only surgeon to be named count or baron

this might be interesting (translated in english) , on his experience with napoloeon and the latter's supposed request to make him a poison strong enough to kill him, before departing on his trip to russia

http://books.google.ca/books?id=j7X7...urgeon&f=false

and here is a link of all the doctors (and other personel) in Napoleon's Palace / or attached to him
    http://www.napoleon-series.org/resea...chapter3a.html
    Last edited by James.Bond; August 26, 2010 at 11:46 PM.

Mighty's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by James.Bond View Post
    (http://www.harmattan.fr/auteurs/arti...o_artiste=5768)

basically he benefited from being his favourite surgeon, even being named baron in 1810. and apparently he wasn't the only surgeon to be named count or baron

this might be interesting (translated in english) , on his experience with napoloeon and the latter's supposed request to make him a poison strong enough to kill him, before departing on his trip to russia

http://books.google.ca/books?id=j7X7...urgeon&f=false

and here is a link of all the doctors (and other personel) in Napoleon's Palace / or attached to him
    http://www.napoleon-series.org/resea...chapter3a.html

What about Larrey?

Although thanks for the post, even the French ones, though unfortunately I dont understand, I can try to translate some

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominique_Jean_Larrey

there are plenty of stuff written about him in English, and on the harmattan.fr website it says he was 'Chirurgien en chef de l'hôpital de la Garde impériale, inspecteur général du service de santé', or chief surgeon of the imperial guard's hospital and general inspector of the health system; Yvan had similar but lesser titles ('' 'ordinary' surgeon of the emperor, major-surgeon of the grenadiers of the imperial guard, chief surgeon of the invalids of the imperial hospital''). i'm guessing Yvan had less hierarchy and importance than Larrey, as Larrey is mentioned in many sources, both french and non-french, unlike Yvan

Mighty's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by James.Bond View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominique_Jean_Larrey

there are plenty of stuff written about him in English, and on the harmattan.fr website it says he was 'Chirurgien en chef de l'hôpital de la Garde impériale, inspecteur général du service de santé', or chief surgeon of the imperial guard's hospital and general inspector of the health system; Yvan had similar but lesser titles ('' 'ordinary' surgeon of the emperor, major-surgeon of the grenadiers of the imperial guard, chief surgeon of the invalids of the imperial hospital''). i'm guessing Yvan had less hierarchy and importance than Larrey, as Larrey is mentioned in many sources, both french and non-french, unlike Yvan
    Alright, how about accompanying Napoleon in Battle?
    Some say it was Larrey, and in the book I am reading the author mentions Yvan as the doctor who accompanied Napoleon, and that he was Napoleon's "Shadow"

hmmm, i don't know, maybe you should ask someone who knows more about Napoleonic history. But as far as i can recall Larrey was at waterloo, and after the battle was supposed to be executed before a Prussian doctor recognized him and got him out (he had previously saved the life of a Prussian general's son). My guess is that there were many doctors traveling with him, but probably none for napoleon's exclusive use

Mighty's Avatar Miles

yeah well it seems that Larrey was the chief surgeon and so unlike the other doctors, he was mostly with Napoleon.

Thanks for your input anyway James Bond!