Thread: The High Road - The Jacobite Era

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default The High Road - The Jacobite Era

I just thought I'd start another thread to let some of you know another Scottish Mod for Kingdoms that is currently being developed, and lead by dmcraanen and his team. Set in the Jacobite era (a favourite and passion of mine), the mod features 20 factions and is played out on a map size of 575 x 717 (absolutely huge). Feel free to make any comments about this mod in this post as I'll be contributing where asked.

Here is the brief description I have taken from the mod thread

The year is 1688 - The English Protestant government, completely through with King James II, have asked the Stadtholder of the Netherlands, William III of Orange, who is Married to Anne - the daughter of James II, to overthrow his father-in-law and establish a proper Protestant dynasty. William lands with his Dutch army on the shores of England in November of the year and marches on London. James sees no other option but to flee and escapes to France.

The protestants rejoice! After years of Stuart rule, a fitting King now sits upon the Thrones of England, Ireland and Scotland. However, not all are content with William and Anne's rule. The Catholics of Scotland and Ireland, paying high taxes to fund an unnecessary war in France, waged by an illegitimate Dutch King and his wife, are disgruntled and demand the return of the rightful heir to the throne. In early 1689, Scottish clans and Irish Catholics, loyal to the expelled King James enter open resistance against the Williamite government: the start of nearly 60 years of continuous struggle, decided in 1746 during the last pitched battle on the British Isles. Tensions are high in the Highlands of Scotland - rival clans seize the opportunities to extend their influence and increase their wealth. Political ambitions raise high - but who to support, the Stuarts, or the Government?

This mod will focus on Scotland and the north of Ireland and England, and aims to involve numerous historical events, historically accurate regiments and commanders, as well as a proper representation of clan warfare. Starting in 1688 and ending in 1746, the mod aims to have a large-scale map, so as to properly represent the difficulties in traversing the sparsely populated highlands. turns per year will be 6, so as to represent the alliances that were made and broken within short periods of these tumultuous times. After this mod has been completed, two more campaigns (one focussing on Ireland and one on all three kingdoms) will be considered!

dmcraanen's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: The High Road - The Jacobite Era

Cheers for putting this up! I am sure that by sharing some works and information, we'll both have fantastic mods to present to the community! After all, we're using the same sort of recruitment and map, and the highlands barely changed in social structure in those years.

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

Looks really cool, glad to see it has the Irish in it
    Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.

Patrician

There are many things I like about the High Road mod, but one of the things i'm most keen about is the time period, and also the recruiting depth and diversity which dmcraanen is implementing. I'm obviously starting with a Jacobite faction, most probably the Camerons.

I'll start as the Irish Jacobites, i always start as the irish I wonder if there's any way to replicate the highland charge in the M2TW engine? It basically is the Roman Pilum throw before charge which is still in M2TW afaik. It would require an animation for them to fire (they could use pistols with the left hand, basket hilt swords in the other, or it might be easier just to use the musket animation with the handgun formation which is looser and less disciplined as the highlanders were) and to replace the javelins with pistol shot. Since i doubt there'll be any javelin men in this period you could probably just replace the projectiles. I have no experience in this but i may look into it, imo it would really add to the mod since the highland charge is one of the most awesome tactics

Good thing is that the pilum throw works with any missle unit. it just dictates that they only fire their missile weapon once and then charge in - regardless of what it is. Just submitted my recruitment plans to TBR - they're a tad simpler than I had envisaged them, but that's good for now. it allows for adding more units at any random time.

Patrician

I agree Smoesville, you have summed it up nicely. The highland charge would be awesome to get into the game if the animation could be done. This would be ideal if this could be added in, and would reflect what we know of the fighting style of the time. Wasn't there an animation in RTW for German beserkers that could be used. I know the beserker animation wasn't added to MTW2 and causes a crash, but I seem to recall a mod adding this in. So it might simply be possible to add the pistol as 1 shot mentioned above before they charge in?

Just downloaded the file dmcraanen, I'll get to work on it today

The highland charge should be quite enough if we just use the pilum and then follow up with a normal sword charge, with exaggerated stats (so attack 10, defense 10, charge 20)....that should be quite devastating, and the highland charge was basically just a 'fire once and then run in asap'. nothing fancy, no saltoes or shakespeare recitals :p

Wow that's very high stats Is there any way to incorporate the shock tactic psychological impact aswell? It would be cool and accurate afaik since the charge worked best against the less well trained troops.

afaik in medieval 2 it's always the case that any troop with low to medium morale runs as when they lose half their men in 10 seconds

Patrician

Yeah, you're right Smoesville, they are high stats, especially if you consider adding highly_trained and increasing the moral as well.

One thing dmcraanen, although the highland charge can be formidable and terrifying, those units that do lose 50% will need to be relatively inexperienced lowland or government troops. I think from memory (just a few examples) especially at Harlaw in 1411 & Culloden 1746, the highland charge was thwarted (for numerous reasons) up against a determined and trained spear/bayonet units. The initial impacts were momentous but after the momentum stopped, the long spears and bayonets held firm.

Although saying the above,at Prestonpans 1746, the impact shattered the government forces and it was over in minutes Let's discuss this regarding the coding of the units.

Yes, sure. I was just making some random stats up there to show the difference with a normal unit! And sure, the grenadiers of some regiments (such as those at culloden) will have a very good morale capable of withstanding a highland charge.

Patrician

That's great news. We should really look at the mass impact stats that Darth Vader used in his Darthmod 1.4, as Darths coding and AI work is sensational.

Patrician

Thread closed due to forum clean up