Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Hogwarts Greenhouses - Herbology

Default Re: Hogwarts Greenhouses - Herbology

I'd like to think that I'm a match for a tree...

Atticus revealed his wand under his sleeve

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Goldwater View Post
    "Then whatever it throws at them, they've got coming," Cecil muttered darkly. "Even first-years have got to have heard about what it can do by now, and if they haven't, I'm sure Professor Petunia will explain it all in short order. If they still think poking it or whatever's a good idea after that, there isn't much that can be done for 'em, right? If they won't learn from us, then let them learn from experience."
    "Exaclty. You reap what you sow, and if they stupidly provoke such a tree, they deserve it. Although I bet there'll be some fools who try to play with fate and dare their fellows to get closer..and closer..until the tree knocks one of them into the air."

She then looks at Atticus. "Perhaps you are, perhaps you are not."

Watercress's Avatar Praeses
    Her Majesty's Extraterrestrial Possessions

Professor Petunia strode forward, focusing solely on the task of navigating the school grounds as her pack of merry adventures that was her class followed. Eventually, they arrived, and Petunia stopped the group at a small hillock not too far from the Willow.

'Now children, I must warn you, we mustn't get much closer to the Willow. They are very dangerous trees, perhaps the most dangerous of all of those I have seen. Can anyone tell me why?'

Abigail looked across the mass of children, looking for a risen hand.

"Only Connect!...Only connect the prose and the passion, and both will be exalted, and human love will be seen at its height. Live in fragments no longer."

Narf's Avatar Reach for the Stars.
    Content Staff Citizen

Evie raised her hand.
    "Whomping Willow is an plant, a very valuable, very violent species of magical plant. It is even though looking harmless most of the time able to move with surprising speed, and great force, thus its name. Us students were disallowed going near this one when Davey Gudgeon was nearly injured in a daring game around it. It is in fact Sentient, very much so"
    She smiled a little.
    "And it originates from scotland. So one is to stay away from it because of that. One should not need more reason than that it is an Sentient hugely violent, extremely rare scottish tree with an fury against anything within range."
    Last edited by Narf; September 28, 2012 at 05:07 AM.

Bonez's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Nigel stays back from the tree out of the main crowd. He'd heard stories of the tree but didn't want to make any of his own.

Violeta stares at the tree and begins drawing it, making some small notes as she goes along drawing in as many features as possible from the distance they are currently at from the tree.

"We have to fight a tree?" Aaron said to himself thoughtfully. Then, he pulled out a large box of matches.

Atticus grimaced

Its dangerous because its highly aggressive...

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by aaronlaw97 View Post
    "We have to fight a tree?" Aaron said to himself thoughtfully. Then, he pulled out a large box of matches.
    That isn't gonna do anything you know.

Geoffrey looks at such primitives things that Muggles called matches. He shakes his head and scoffs.

Do you really think Muggle tools can harm it? From what I heard, not even a flying car could dent it.

He points to one the club-looking branches.

It will smash you to a bloody pulp before you can light one of those primitive tools.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Dominick and Demetri followed the group chatting amongst themselves. When they arrived at the willow, reflected back on his readings. Hearing the comment about the car Dominick spouted up a bit, "actually I read that the flying car did some major damage"

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by ZeusAmon View Post
    Dominick and Demetri followed the group chatting amongst themselves. When they arrived at the willow, reflected back on his readings. Hearing the comment about the car Dominick spouted up a bit, "actually I read that the flying car did some major damage"
    I heard it broke some of the branches. That is all I heard.

Geoffrey then turns around and goes back to looking at the tree. His eyes glanced at Aaron. He smelled like a Mudblood...a note to keep away from such a dimwitted Muggle-born.

"A flying car? Wow! That must be really advanced magic!" Aaron exclaimed, putting away his matches. "What should we do then? Maybe we should leave this tree alone. It looks menacing." He shivers at the thought.

Violeta rolls her eyes and glares over at the group of first years for a second,before resuming her drawing of the willow and making notes of it. So far she has several mentioning the branch structure of the tree and it's aggressiveness.."Theory..it may be enraged further if set ablaze by a spell or other instrument, providing the willow does not have any natural defenses or enchantments against fire." She thinks to herself as she writes it down.

Citizen

At that point, Geoffrey would discontinue this conversation with Aaron...stupid Muggle-born. He strokes his chin slightly as he gazes at the tree, remembering his mother's lessons on it.

Watercress's Avatar Praeses
    Her Majesty's Extraterrestrial Possessions

'Yes, Evie and Atticus, you are both absolutely right. Now this is a very rare tree indeed - although there are others, this is undeniably the oldest and grandest of them all. And yes, it is true that this tree is highly dangerous. But then again, so are many magical plants and organisms. We will be focusing today mostly on self-defence, particularly against wild and aggressive foliage and vegetation. With that in mind, can anyone tell me how you can subdue the Whomping Willow?'
    Last edited by Watercress; September 28, 2012 at 12:26 PM.

"Only Connect!...Only connect the prose and the passion, and both will be exalted, and human love will be seen at its height. Live in fragments no longer."

"I read something about a knot at its base? Or a branch or something, supposed to calm it down?" Dom said quickly

Bonez's Avatar Protector Domesticus

OOC: Whomping willow... Not big but it grinds ma gears. Second off this could be a cool lesson, if it wasn't allowing every student with an adventerous mind the ability to go to the shrieking shack.

IC: Nigel thinks back to some of the stories told about Harry Potter and how the tree could be subdued. It takes him a little bit before he can think of the answer, but then decides to go with it. Along with that he thinks that he may have to come out here some night if he is right...
    Nigel puts his hand up trying to let the teacher see it.

Citizen

Geoffrey raises his hand.

I read that a "Immobulus" spell, wielded by a capable wizard, is able to calm the Whomping Willow, Professor. And that there is a knot at the base of the tree that has the same effect.

He grinned. Thanks mom!

Im glad everybody jacked my answer, I hope the teach heard me

Dom thought, he was used to being looked over in class

Quote Originally Posted by Watercress View Post
    'Yes, Evie and Atticus, you are both absolutely right. Now this is a very rare tree indeed - although there are others, this is undeniably the oldest and grandest of them all. And yes, it is true that this tree is highly dangerous. But then again, so are many magical plants and organisms. We will be focusing today mostly on self-defence, particularly against wild and aggressive foliage and vegetation. With that in mind, can anyone tell me how you can subdue the Whomping Willow?'
    Atticus could think of several ways to destroy the tree, but he figured Professor Petunia would not think those answers to be very satisfying.

"It could be petrified, temporarily frozen, or for the most minimal impact to the tree itself, and to still provide attention, there are various hexes that slow the movement of objects. Yeah, that would be best. That way once the spell wears off the tree could return to normal with no real harm done.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast