Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: How to use the Official Modding Tools

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: How to use the Official Modding Tools

It is necessary to manually add the plugin to 3ds max.

.max exporter work only with 3ds Max 2009 and 2010.

You will have to :
    • Paste cs2_exporter.dle into your ...\Autodesk\3ds Max 2010\plugins folder
    • Paste into your Attributes_Script.ms and Building_Attributes.mcr ...\Autodesk\3ds Max 2010\Scripts folder

To run the exporter :
    • Go to 3ds max menu > EXPORT > EXPORT > choose CS2 Max Exporter

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

Hi,
    Is it possible to use this tools (or MMS) to mod an already excisting mod (pack-file)?
    Or is it only PFM wich are able to do this?

Best regards...

trait_triggers table is not exportable in tweak and is greyed out in bob. Is there someway to include it into a pack?

Quote Originally Posted by wangrin View Post

You will have to :
    • Paste into your Attributes_Script.ms and Building_Attributes.mcr ...\Autodesk\3ds Max 2010\Scripts folder

To run the exporter :
    THANK YOU!

EDIT: I did what you said but whenever I start up 3ds max it comes up with an error message that says: DLL <C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\3ds Max 2010\plugins\cs2_exporter.dle> failed to initialize. Error code 193 - %1 is not a valid win32 application.
    Last edited by weeeee659; February 05, 2013 at 01:20 AM.

You will have to :

To run the exporter :
    I added the CA files to 3D Max 2010 folder but the "CS2 Max Exporter" option isn't showing up. Will this prevent me modding the map?
    Morning Sun (adds Korea and China to the Shogun 2 map)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...28-Morning-Sun

Expanded Japan mod (97 new regions and 101 new factions)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ew-factions%29

How to split a region in TWS2
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...split-a-region

Eras Total Conquest 2.3 (12 campaigns from 970-1547)

Patrician Artifex

First of all, CA provide two cs2_exporter.dle, one for 3ds max 2010 32 bits and one for 3ds max 2010 64 bits version.
    Same for 3ds max 2009.
    So, make sure you use the right cs2_exporter.dle file.

Second, be careful with models provided by CA. You cannot open them with 3ds max 2010 as they have been create/save using a newer version.
    Open them with 3ds max 2012 or 2013 and save them as .max for 3ds max 2010.
    Then, you will be able to open the model with 3ds max 2010 (*)

Note that I have to run 3ds max 2010 as administrator to open the model.

Then, go to 3ds max menu > EXPORT > EXPORT > choose CS2 Max Exporter

If you didn't have the "CS2 Max Exporter" option, you will not be able to export your work to cs2 file format and then create files for the game using BoB.

(*) I suppose that CA's motto is : "Why do it simple when we can make it difficult"

Last edited by wangrin; February 11, 2013 at 11:54 AM.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

Quote Originally Posted by daniu View Post
    First write-up of how to create a mod with the modding tools. I'll limit it to db editing for now until we have a better understanding.

[FIELDSET2="2. Tools Directory Overview"]The tools themselves are located in the folder called "binaries". The ones meaningful to you are "TWeak.Release.exe" and "BOB.Release.exe". TWeak consists of DaVE (the DB editor) and the Unit Editor.

3. Toolchain TWeak
    First off, you want to start TWeak, then from the Tools menu, "DAVE - Database Visual Editor".
    It asks you whether to connect to raw_data/db, you say "yes".
    From the menu "View", select "Table Launcher". It will open the list of available db tables.
    Doubleclick one from the list and an editor for it will open.
    Do the changes you want to apply; when finished, select the "Apply" button in the editor window.

BOB
    Now that your changes are done, you want to put them into a pack file.
    From the binaries folder, run BOB.Release.exe.
    In the list on the left, expand the "database" tree item and select the table you edited.
    In the list in the middle, find the table again (under "db") and select it. Select both the Provider and Consumer action; the Provider will convert the xml to binary, and the Consumer will put the binary into the pack.
    In the list on the right under data, select "mod.pack".

Now, in the bottom right, press "Start". A result window will open, and you'll get messages about what has happened. Note that even if everything went right, there will be warning messages for the Create Pack action; that's because you only edited a subset of the available file so it tells you the others aren't in... don't worry about it.

Go check in the retail folder now; it should contain a folder "data" now with your "mod.pack".
    Copy it to your shogun2/data directory and the mod is available next time you start Shogun 2.

4. ModManager: Select Active Mods and Upload to Workshop When you start Shogun 2 from Steam, it will first open the ModManager with a list of mods you put into the data folder. Select the one you want to start the game with.
    If you doubleclick the entry for your mod, an additional window will pop up, allowing you to enter a name and description for your mod. Once you've done that, you can "Upload to Workshop", and your mod is released. You'll need to set it to Visible from the Workshop if you want others to be able to access it.

Helpful links to documentation in the Wiki:

That's it for now, hope it helped
    I'll keep this updated when we find out more stuff.
    I am having some trouble figuring out how to use BOB based on the above. This is what I am trying to do:
    1. I want to start out a town as more developed. So, open up TWeak and follow the steps above to select "start_pos_settlements." I select a town. For testing purposes this is Tosa. I modified the file to make it start as a fortress and upgrade the roads. I click apply.

2. I load Bob. This is where the above directions stop making sense. Is there someone who can clarify what to do next?

In BOB, I see three columns. Per the above directions, I expand the "database" under "raw data." I select start_pos_settlements. But, there is no corresponding entry in working data (the middle column)... What do I do now?

When I try to run the program, I am getting this error:
    === Campaign / Process start pos (jap_shogun) ===
    Failed to save startpos.esf in e:/program files (x86)/stw2/modding/working_data/campaigns/jap_shogun/!

=====================================
    Duration: 4 sec(s)

Thank you in advance for any assistance.
    Last edited by Olmsted; February 11, 2013 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Varus2319 View Post

I dunno, I'm just finding all the tutorials on this site seem to assume that the reader already knows what they are doing.
    I am finding this as well. Why oh why can't I just open up notepad and modify this the same way I would RTW?

First of all, CA provide two cs2_exporter.dle, one for 3ds max 2010 32 bits and one for 3ds max 2010 64 bits version.
    Same for 3ds max 2009.
    So, make sure you use the right cs2_exporter.dle file.

Second, be careful with models provided by CA. You cannot open them with 3ds max 2010 as they have been create/save using a newer version.
    Open them with 3ds max 2012 or 2013 and save them as .max for 3ds max 2010.
    Then, you will be able to open the model with 3ds max 2010 (*)

Note that I have to run 3ds max 2010 as administrator to open the model.

Then, go to 3ds max menu > EXPORT > EXPORT > choose CS2 Max Exporter

If you didn't have the "CS2 Max Exporter" option, you will not be able to export your work to cs2 file format and then create files for the game using BoB.
    I have the 3DS Max Design 2010 64 bit. For some reason I can open the shogun2.max file but I don't have the CS2 format. Do I have the wrong version of 3DS Max?

Patrician Artifex

I've forgot how I've added the plugin.

If I remember, you only have to paste the .dle file in \Autodesk\3ds Max 2010\plugins folder
    Then, a line for CS2 Max Exporter show up in the export scroll menu.
    Last edited by wangrin; February 13, 2013 at 01:20 AM.

Thats all it took for me as well. Maybe you put it in the wrong plugins folder uanime? 32-bit is in Program Files(86) and 64-bit is in Program Files.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

I have a question. Do the tools for Shogun include something equivalent to Symphony to recompile the sound banks?

Quote Originally Posted by weeeee659 View Post
    Thats all it took for me as well. Maybe you put it in the wrong plugins folder uanime? 32-bit is in Program Files(86) and 64-bit is in Program Files.
    The problem was I only put them in one folder, not both; so now I can now save cs2 files. Unfortunately I have no idea what name I'm meant to give them, where I have to save them, or how the official tools use them.

Well, I wish I could help with that but, i'm at the same place as you

Hi guys! I have used all my life pack file manager but recently it stopped working and it force me to begin to use DAVE. I have tried DAVE this days and it looks easy. But i have one question: Is it posible to create one unit? i mean, for example, if i want to create a unit called samurai_inf_cleverpeople is there any way to do it? because i have seen that if you want to change a unit you have to scroll on the games unit list, so it doesnt appear.

Is it possible? and how?

Thank you

Haldier

Quote Originally Posted by Haldier View Post
    Hi guys! I have used all my life pack file manager but recently it stopped working and it force me to begin to use DAVE. I have tried DAVE this days and it looks easy. But i have one question: Is it posible to create one unit? i mean, for example, if i want to create a unit called samurai_inf_cleverpeople is there any way to do it? because i have seen that if you want to change a unit you have to scroll on the games unit list, so it doesnt appear.

Is it possible? and how?

Thank you

Haldier
    All your life??....hmmmm ;-)

PFM is easier if you're just adding units, why not try to get it wirking again. The official modding tools are better to use when changing uniforms (variant models) or editing AI related stuff etc. IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patrician Artifex

I've some questions about how CA create EFlines.

First of all, EFline are "segment" used to define where men can be placed.
    They are defined by coordinates from both extremities but not only. They are also defined by a direction (perpendicular to the segment) and a type (low wall of overflow).

If you look at Stronghold_temple_building model you will see that :
    • EFlines are represent in .max model as a "cubic" object tied to an external .xml file
    • The _tech.xml file contain EFline coordinates and this file is necessary when you want to use CS2 converter

EFline objects from .max models seems to be placed at the center of the EFline (segment) they should represent.

If you look at EFLine object properties, particularly the user defined tab you will see that, for example, EFline_piece01_destruct01_line001 refers to an EFline_piece01_destruct01_line029.
    It seems that those "user defined" information are not used. I suppose this come come from copying/pasting EFline objects.

But I don't understand how CA create or calculate EFline coordinates from _tech.xml.

If someone has any ideas about...

Patrician Artifex

I have represent some eflines, using coordinates from .xml file.
    Line had been created using SPLINE > LINE and KEYBOARD ENTRY to define x,y,z coordinates

What could be useful would be a tool to export lines coordinates in _tech.xml from the .max model.
    The process could be like this :
    1. drawing line corresponding to eflines in .max model
    2. exporting coordinates to _tech.xml
      • x,y,z coordinates for both segment [AB] extremities
      • calculate direction
    3. eventually export efline type (low wall / overflow), maybe converting color into type ?

xml format look like this :

<ef_line name="EFline_piece01_destruct01_line080" action="Low wall">
    <end x="-18.467" y="19.261" z="3.071"/>
    <end x="-4.088" y="19.261" z="3.071"/>
    <direction x="0.0" y="0.381" z="0.0"/>
    </ef_line>

I've got a question. I've recently tried to add to the region_unit_resources_table and the start_pos_region_to_unit_resources tables, but when I use BOB, there is no entry under working data for the start_pos_region_to_unit_resources table, and when it finishes making the mod.pack there doesn't appear to be anything related to the start_pos_region_to_unit_resources table. Did I do something wrong with tweak or bob, or maybe forget to edit something?

Cobi Wan Kenobi's Avatar Centenarius

Are the modding tools Windows 8 compatible? Goddamned new operating systems.