Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: CA Modding Summit - Mitch's Perspective

Default Re: Modding Summit - Mitch's Perspective

If these tools really can edit the entire campaign and give us the ability to create new factions and give models for them, then my faith has been fully restored to CA.

From the greatest sincerity I could ever possibly give to y'all hardworkers o'er across the pond, thank you. I know that phrase isn't said enough on TW related forums. The modders will proceed to worship your feet again. The Rome/M2 days are making a comeback! The golden age of Total War may yet still be to come.

And thank you, .Mitch for your extensive documentation of the summit. Hope you get some much needed rest, I know how 48 hour pulls are. Must have been hard to keep your pep up through the whole day!
    Heir to Noble Savage in the Imperial House of Wilpuri

Akaie's Avatar Sangi Ukon'e no Chūjō

Quote Originally Posted by Superghostboy View Post
    Thanks for that! This makes things very hopeful .

The S2 Onin War Mod | Boshin: Total Domains
    Patron of Erwin Rommel
    Under the proud patronage of Radious

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

Quote Originally Posted by ♔The Black Knight♔ View Post
    Now, the first thing I would like to do is add Korea to the map.
    Too big still, lots of things to be considered. New vertical standing walls that dont have mounds and dont let soldiers scale them.

New anims to account for shield bearing troops.

Hwacha might still be ok, just use rockets from NTW/ETW, slight alter them to shoot out smaller rockets.

And I wonder how do we with flail cavalry.

Lol a more polished Foreign Invasions and Steampunk/Samurai is more feasible but I'd still want Imjin War.

Oh and if Steph is having 2nd thoughts about S2, invite him to your Foreign Invasions mod.

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

Yes, i would very well like to improve the mod. Hoch has been really busy at the moment so the speed has droped down. If steph wants to join, ill buy him a copy of Fots. (thats a promise)

Anyways about that, i believe we might be able to make a wall garrisonalbe but not climbable. The shield units may be come a problem but at least you have korea.

Quote Originally Posted by Future Filmmaker View Post
    If these tools really can edit the entire campaign and give us the ability to create new factions and give models for them, then my faith has been fully restored to CA.

From the greatest sincerity I could ever possibly give to y'all hardworkers o'er across the pond, thank you. I know that phrase isn't said enough on TW related forums. The modders will proceed to worship your feet again. The Rome/M2 days are making a comeback! The golden age of Total War may yet still be to come.
    this. at first hand I diddn't had much faith in the summit, but the things that come out of it, makes me looking more forward to Rome II and other upcomming CA titles (tell me the damm Alien IP )

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by ♔The Black Knight♔ View Post
    Yes, i would very well like to improve the mod. Hoch has been really busy at the moment so the speed has droped down. If steph wants to join, ill buy him a copy of Fots. (thats a promise)
    Anyways about that, i believe we might be able to make a wall garrisonalbe but not climbable. The shield units may be come a problem but at least you have korea.
    If I do something, it's a Napoleonic mod for S2. The prerequesite are
    1) Be able to make a campaign map of Europe with the regions I want
    2) Be able to add the required factions
    3) Be able to use the uniform models, animation and textures we already did for NTW with minimum pain
    4) The game engine allows was is needed for battle (ex: squares, bayonets).
    5) Be able to import ships from NTW

If one of this condition cannot be met, I'll stick to NTW engine. If they can all be made, then I could be quite tempted.

Because in NTW, I already have the faction, the uniforms, models, ships, working game engine (a few bugs, but it works). The only thing really missing is a reworked campaign map, but the one I have IS working.

So to move to S2, I need some clear advantages, things I could do that I can't in NTW.

So now, convince me. What can be done with S2 engine that I can't do with NTW, and counter balance the important amount of work required for a total conversion?

Side question.

If I get the demo of STW2 to see how it's done, can I safely study the "modding" possibility there (models and animation format for instance?) or do I need the full game, or is better to have FotS
    Last edited by Steph; September 27, 2012 at 06:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    If I do something, it's a Napoleonic mod for S2. [...]
    If one of this condition cannot be met, I'll stick to NTW engine. If they can all be made, then I could be quite tempted.

So now, convince me.
    Why would people care if you start Shogun modding or not...
    The simple fact is that you're hanging around a Shogun forum demanding Mod Tools which exist.
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

Why is not this sticked along the other recounts of the modding summit?

Also, I have to say it again. This is the most glorious day in Total War ever. I long for the awesome mods our awesome modders will do with the awesome tools the awesome developers of the awesome CA awesomely created.

For the few living beings that had the tormentpleasure to read my wall of doom, they could remember that back then, when you could zoom in on the cities of Rome I thought that CA was made up of the most awesome dudes in the world? Well, guess what. After yesterday I think that again!
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en espańol? Mira por aca.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by daniu View Post
    Why would people care if you start Shogun modding or not...
    The simple fact is that you're hanging around a Shogun forum demanding Mod Tools which exist.
    I suppose people don't care if I mod Shogun, but perhaps they'd care to have a Napoleonic mod with this engine. Or may be they don't.
    If I'm hanging here it's because CA never comes to the NTW part, and they won't do much for it.
    Isn't that normal to try to follow what happens where something happens?

Radiso-FIN's Avatar Campidoctor

Thanks for the report Mitch! Very interesting to read and nice to see you had a successful summit!

Really can't wait to hear more about those "secret" modding tools.

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Stickied!

I suppose people don't care if I mod Shogun, but perhaps they'd care to have a Napoleonic mod with this engine.
    If they do, they'll build it. If you want to take part in that, I'm sure they'll let you join.

If I'm hanging here it's because CA never comes to the NTW part, and they won't do much for it.
    Up to a point, yes...
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

I suppose people don't care if I mod Shogun, but perhaps they'd care to have a Napoleonic mod with this engine. Or may be they don't.
    You know Steph, the tools are not released so nobody knows anything really yet. Just be patient and we'll see. No need to spam this thread.
    French commentaries for TW and RTS:http://www.youtube.com/user/leviath40

Deutschland's Avatar East of Rome Mod Leader

Alright on the beer front this summit may have been a success .. now CA deliver or it didn't happen.

i dont know anything about modding but my question is if the campaign map is going to be editable????

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

If I do something, it's a Napoleonic mod for S2.
    Oh dang, Napoleonic. We where thinking more of Late Victorian.

3) Be able to use the uniform models, animation and textures we already did for NTW with minimum pain
    4) The game engine allows was is needed for battle (ex: squares, bayonets).
    5) Be able to import ships from NTW
    Squares are included, hell even ETW battle map fortifications are still there, like stakes, bayonets are yataghan style, with so-jutsu animations so lots of twirling.

If it counts, weirdacroscensor managed to have the Maxim machine gun from NTW and some original cannons from the Civil War mod, and there are NTW cannons still in S2 hidden. Like unicorn, the grand battery. Ship cannons for the cannon bune and the carrack are ETW cannons.

Horses are a bit big, stocky looking with big necks. Equipment for them is still japanese, even modern ones have still Sengoku jidai saddles and stirups. There is only one sabre for a non-japanese sword and they wear it when sheathed with the edge facing up, like a katana. Drum anims and hell any anims is still inherently japanese, down to how "lancers" carry their yari is still different and then archers drawing there bows. Almost all, except the loading of cannons, mounting of horses. Environment down to buildings is still Japanese, even bushes and grass down to fences.

Advantages though are 40 units with 2 stacks, tech tree and rpg trees, more useful agents to toy around with, PORT battles, front rank kneel fire. Blood and gore. Lots of superficial stuff. TED tool.

Yes it might looked far fetched for a NTW mod HOWEVER.........how about a Victoria mod. (Or if I may, Meiji Period.)

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

I wish I had gone, too...perhaps I could have gotten some help with Ted...it only runs with 2 fps on my laptop.
    Prof's Mods (Attila Mods)
    Creator of Polemarchia: Total War
    Under the patronace of Epistolary Richard
    <- Now with Attila screens

Opening the possibility of Total Conversion mods is going to be a pretty massive change for the better. I kind of don't get why it took so damn long for this to happen but if it was the pressure by the representatives of the modding community that got this result then they have accomplished something huge here.

Its a very different tune from the bs excuses we've heard in the past on the subject, so at least progress is being made there. Well done to those involved. The editing capabilities to the campaign map will be massive regardless- its probably the highest thing on the list for everyone that needed to happen.. Bloody glad to see it.

they need to have their main focus being on making money else everything would fall apart, and sometimes that can just lead to things such as helping the modding community or making tools becoming not a feasible or finacially viable option.
    I disagree with that excuse, as I always have, it was always in their best financial interest to support these tools from the very start, they would've had far greater profits as the result of a stronger modding community and wouldn't have had to waste time/resources producing as many DLCs as they did.

Modding does make money and its in the interest of the company to support it.. Now that CA actually IS supporting it, they need to keep it that way and not backflip on this. Always the biggest selling point of the PC platform is mods and this is probably the best means in ensuring total war stays there.

But still this is a big victory for the community as a whole so well done everyone, you finally got CA to cave .

EDIT:
    Steph's comment makes me worried too. A lot of what he's suggested are very big concerns. Porting content from previous games should be allowed- else it means the entire mod community in its current form has to start again from scratch.
    Last edited by Mr_Cyberpunk; September 27, 2012 at 07:46 AM.

Steph's comment makes me worried too. A lot of what he's suggested are very big concerns. Porting content from previous games should be allowed- else it means the entire mod community in its current form has to start again from scratch.
    We are always going to be changing how content is done from game to game as we change how we do unit models or the campaign map as we always want to do new things with them. Just like the change in unit model formats from Rome 1 to Medieval II.
    Senior Designer

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Yoda Twin's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Cyberpunk View Post
    EDIT:
    As Lusted has illustrated quite well I think, sure it would be nice to have this kind of close connection between the titles, but such a connection could, and in all likely would probably significantly hinder how adventurous CA can be with adding new features to future titles. Would this ability to port content seriously be worth it if it meant CA were forced to cancel several vital game plans as they'd break this continuity between the titles?
    Minister for Home Affairs of the Commonwealth v Zentai [2012] HCA 28 per Heydon J at [75]

Analysis should not be diverted by reflections upon the zeal with which the victors at the end of the Second World War punished the defeated for war crimes. The victors were animated by the ideals of the Atlantic Charter and of the United Nations. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights was about to peep over the eastern horizon. But first, they wanted a little hanging.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast