Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FOTS - Rifleman formations sugestions?

Armageddonn's Avatar Decanus

Default FOTS - Rifleman formations sugestions?

Anyone can tell me a good formation that is consisted mostly of rifleman infantry and few melee ones? I have seen videos of people going double lines but like that there is friendly fire, so i don't think that is the best one i have also tried double formation but with gaps like -_-_-_-_ but i don't think that's the best either so anyone else has a good suggestion?

Default Re: FOTS - Rifleman formations sugestions?

I just use what the game tells me. "FORM DOUBLE RINE STANDARD!!"

Troops in back have fire at will turned off unless the enemy breaks through the first line or the rear line is on higher ground.

I tend to put my riflemen in a line with melee units on the flanks. A few melee units behind the riflemen in case I suspect an enemy charge that the gunfire can't break. Or to protect from cavalry flanking maneuvers.

Right now I'm playing Choshu. No need for melee units behind the riflemen since the Kihetai are great at close combat.

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

I do this:

I use four units of line troops (Bears, Line infantry, Marines, etc) in a long line. I put a unit of skirmishers on each flank, and a unit of yari ki behind that.

Then, I put for units of Armstrong Guns (Or parrot guns) behind my main infantry line.

I put two units of Carbine cavalry somewhere close behind the flanks of my line, usually just to chase routing enemies.

My general goes in the middle, behind the cannons.

With a mod, I get fire rocket troops, and I put three of those directly behind my main infantry line, between it and the cannons.

If I have them, I put a Gatling gun unit likie this: - + - - + -

Where the dash is a line unit, and the plus is a unit of Gatling guns.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by ♘Top Hat Zebra View Post
    I do this:

I use four units of line troops (Bears, Line infantry, Marines, etc) in a long line. I put a unit of skirmishers on each flank, and a unit of yari ki behind that.

Then, I put for units of Armstrong Guns (Or parrot guns) behind my main infantry line.

I put two units of Carbine cavalry somewhere close behind the flanks of my line, usually just to chase routing enemies.

My general goes in the middle, behind the cannons.

With a mod, I get fire rocket troops, and I put three of those directly behind my main infantry line, between it and the cannons.

If I have them, I put a Gatling gun unit likie this: - + - - + -

Where the dash is a line unit, and the plus is a unit of Gatling guns.
    But putting canons behind your main line can cause friendly fire especially if they are firing to units coming close to you, but otherwise ur telling me that you play with 1 single line with melee in the back, i guess thats ok i am doing the same thing i jsut tough there might be something better

That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

The cannons in FotS fire in an arc, like Howitzers. They don't cause friendly fire.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by ♘Top Hat Zebra View Post
    The cannons in FotS fire in an arc, like Howitzers. They don't cause friendly fire.
    Nice, i didn't know that i tough only the wooden canons fire above everything.

Oh no it's all cannons. For those that put so many hours in ETW it's simply brilliant to be able to have grand batteries behind your main line and not have to rely on a hill. So many more tactical possibilities!

I play much like Top Hat Zebra except I keep my carbine/revolver cav in a group on one flank (doesn't matter which) and use them to harass/decimate enemy cavalry. That way I can replace melee units with more riflemen. I have two primary tactical locations for riflemen. One is far forward in a mass on one flank. The other is as THZ described, on each flank.

If I am confident I can neutralize any cav threats then I will deploy my riflemen far forward and to the flank with the best terrain advantage (Look for a gentle downhill slope. That's your golden ticket right there. It does not discourage the AI from climbing it but it will wear them out a tiny bit and it gives you a perfect line of fire. I actually have a screen shot of why I like doing this.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Those nice lines of fallen troops were far ahead of my own line. By severely reducing the enemy numbers on my right flank I was able to hold while my over stacked left flank enveloped around the enemy and massacred them from two sides. I'm going to actually draw up that battle in paint to show how I won it and how I prefer to use riflemen. brb

I know the OP is referring to all line infantry as riflemen but I refer to sharpshooters/riflemen as riflemen as Line infantry is referred to as Line infantry.. Anyway, here is a decent approach to a battle using artillery, ranged cavalry, riflemen( sharp shooters ) and a core of line infantry. This is image heavy so I'm putting the whole thing in a spoiler but I encourage you to take a look (I did spend ten minutes drawing it after all ^_^)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Stretch your Line Infantry to be as shallow as possible and set them on kneel fire. Your riflemen will be a good distance forward with your ranged cavalry (revolver/carbine is the best choice) behind them. Arrange your artillery behind your line in a well suited position. It doesn't need to be perfect but if it can attack the the portion your riflemen are engaging then it is ideal. Station your general behind your artillery for ganbattle and morale cooldown bonuses. They really tweak cannon accuracy in your favor. Let the enemy march to you.

Charge your ranged cavalry outward and toward the enemies cavalry on the right flank. Focus on killing high value targets with your artillery like the cavalry on the left flank or the units approaching your riflemen.
    Once your cavalry reaches the enemies, micro manage so one unit retreats while two units fire to ensure minimal casualties. If you can't micromanage three units, try playing DOTA instead.

Your riflemen will open fire on the right flank as your carbine/revolver cavalry flank them and barrage them from the side. This creates a huge drop in morale for the enemy flank. If your artillery has not inflicted enough casualties then you will have to micro your riflemen backwards, one unit at a time. As long as your cavalry has kept up fire then they will break before or the moment when they reach your main line.

Your general should still be pumping bonus cooldowns to your artillery. As the enemy cav approaches your left flank, peel him away to shoot over the heads of your infantry and if need be, charge into the fray. Once this is taking care of itself, turn your cavalry and riflemen 90 degrees towards the center of the line. You will push upwards (towards enemy artillery) and towards the enemy with your right flank, enveloping and annihilating your way like a hungry caterpillar.

Peel off line infantry to join your riflemen on your new line. Don't be afraid to push your riflemen ahead and behind the enemy lines. Send one of your three cav units to take out the enemy artillery while the remaining two units expend the last of their ammunition and ward off the enemy general. Continue pushing towards the enemies left flank while holding steady on your own main line.

Nom nom nom nom nom nom nom. Your general should assist in taking out the melee infantry on the left flank as he can fire over the line infantries heads. Don't throw him into the fray unless you feel like losing a lot of bodyguards. Deal with the enemy general wherever he charges. At this point you'll have far too many troops for it to be effective. Keep eating the rest of the line and hit end battle after the victory screen comes up.

That's my FotS version of a single envelopment attack utilizing revolver cavalry, sharpshooter/riflemen and a core of line infantry. Criticism welcome.
    Last edited by CTD_or_Bust; May 22, 2012 at 05:40 PM.

If you want a tactic that makes all battles on the field fast try this:

19 Units of Sabre Cavalry
    1 General

• Line all in a thin line
    • Start battle
    • Select all
    • Tell them to run straight for the enemy
    • Win
    May not be tactical but sure is ing fun.

If your persistant on line infantry than put all of them in a big long line.

Have all your melee units on the right flank. During the firefight hold SHIFT and make your units run in an arc away from the line firing
    Example:

---------
    ...............>
    ---------
    the dots are the gun firing between the dashes which are troops on either side. The > symbolises that you go to the far right from your line then back into the enemys left flank.

@CTD: That's a good tactic. For me though, I put my cavalry on the far flanks, not really for any battle purpose, but so when the enemy routs, I can quickly get to them. Usually, my enemy routs in two groups, going in different directions, so that way I have to have cavalry close at hand.

My tactic is actually to not harass the enemy to hard before they reach my lines, because I don't want them routing too fast. I want them to get closer, so I can kill a lot of them.

That's where we differ! I prefer to take as few casualties as possible and rout the enemy as fast as possible by harassing them until their numbers are inferior to my own (then morale-outnumbered=rout etc etc). I'd rather only lose 500 men in exchange for 1500 or more and have to fight a second or third battle to completely eliminate the stack. I don't think your approach or mine could be compared in right or wrong terms, it's just a play style thing.

Ty CTD that is a good tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by CTD_or_Bust View Post
    That's where we differ! I prefer to take as few casualties as possible and rout the enemy as fast as possible by harassing them until their numbers are inferior to my own (then morale-outnumbered=rout etc etc). I'd rather only lose 500 men in exchange for 1500 or more and have to fight a second or third battle to completely eliminate the stack. I don't think your approach or mine could be compared in right or wrong terms, it's just a play style thing.

Oh yes, I agree. It depends on the situation, too, of course. Sometimes I find it prudent to rout them as quickly as possible, especially in the early parts of my campaigns.

When I want a blood bath I have everyone fire off one volley and then CHAAAAARRRRRGGGEEEEE

Single line of line infantry (double line if on a slope) with ideally some archers backing it up in the second line. Cannons in the centre. Riflemen on the flanks and maybe a spear levy or two. If they engage my troops then the bowmen help cut them to pieces and the riflemen can flank and shoot from the sides.

Senator

In ETW and NTW I used fire and advance when attacking but I don't mean the one you could research. Ideally it would go with 5 LI units in front line, 5 behind them and again 5 behind them. When you reach the firing range first line will shoot and then the last will run to front. That line will shoot and again last to front. Repeat until enemy is near and then just charge if they ain't running already. With rank fire this is absolutely devastating.

I haven't tried it in FotS thought because rank fire is so questionable, cavalry is much more stronger and there is generally much more melee infantry on battlefield. Those all tend to the tactics.

But if somebody wants to try it I would be glad to hear the result

I've never preferred advancing since the BAI does not use guile, terrain advantage or ingenuity in the same way a player would. Better to always be a mountain for them to break upon. But I'll try it out and report back. I know I'd defend it by using revolver cavalry or flanking the line with spears and cavalry.

Senator

Well neither do I usually but sometimes you just have to do it And since attacking is generally much harder than defending it's good to know at least some tricks for it
    And of course I had some artillery or something else to support my units but the main idea is to break the enemy from middle which will usually result mass routing.

Quote Originally Posted by CTD_or_Bust View Post
    I've never preferred advancing since the BAI does not use guile, terrain advantage or ingenuity in the same way a player would. Better to always be a mountain for them to break upon. But I'll try it out and report back. I know I'd defend it by using revolver cavalry or flanking the line with spears and cavalry.
    Oh yeah? I had to retry a certain engagement several times because the AI was dealt a 'doom fortress'-esque mountain, with cliffs and chokes and all that good stuff, and rushed to take a defensive position on it every time.

They also like to defend in nearby forests
    BubbaLou's Primer for Gunpowder TW's. Formations and tactics for things that go boom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast