Thread: HOI4 - In Development

Default HOI4 - In Development

I just read the review of HOI4 on the developer's site. Although I've never played the earlier versions, this one looks rather interesting. I'll have to keep this one on my radar.

Default Re: HOI4 - In Development

Yeah it looks good, I hope they look at what they have done well in Crusader Kings 2 and EU4 and try to implement similar mechanics with a WW2 theme.

I'm not liking some of the features they have planned, such as saying they're going to focus on the bigger picture and such. I'm going to have low expectations of it ever being good.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

What you mean "bigger picture"? Does that mean we can finally send people to Gulag physically?
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    What you mean "bigger picture"? Does that mean we can finally send people to Gulag physically?
    I mean it looks like they're trying to streamline the game.

TheBromgrev's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Kamikaze470 View Post
    And streamlining it so the interface doesn't suck yet still gives you the info you need is somehow a bad thing?
    Non-TW AAR: Kantai Kessen - Empire of Japan [HOI3 with HPP mod] - last updated April 16, 2013

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Kamikaze470 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by TheBromgrev View Post
    And streamlining it so the interface doesn't suck yet still gives you the info you need is somehow a bad thing?
    I'm not just talking about the interface though, but really I thought HoI3's was perfectly fine.

Just randomly decided to do a google search of HOI4 in the hope that something was in the pipeline, and my god, YES!

I'm hoping for something even more complex than HOI3 personally but that's just me
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10 (its true )
    My specs:
    CPU - Intel i5 4670k @3.8 GHz | GPU - MSI GEFORCE GTX 770 LIGHTNING 2GB GDDR5 | RAM - 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ | MOBO - Z87 | HDD - 1TB | SSD - SAMSUNG 840 PRO SERIES 256GB SOLID STATE HARD DRIVE 2.5" | PSU - 750W | CASE - COOLERMASTER ENFORCER | MONITOR - 24" IIYAMA

fenir's Avatar Foederatus

A TW player, I wouldn't hold my breath, so far it looks like a small kids inface with mortal combat dreaming.
    Heck HOI3 was a joke in so many areas, but HOI4 looks like it's truely off the planet.

When some idiot developer claims "adds more cool flavour" to a sentence, You know things are not looking good.

Sincerely

fenir
    Mr R.T. Smith - So you are just going to Charge into the Brisbane office with all your knights?

fenir - Yep!

Mr R.T. Smith -.....then what?

fenir - hmmmmm.......Kill them, ...Kill them all, let Sega sort them out.

Mr R.T. Smith -

Quote Originally Posted by fenir View Post
    A TW player
    Everything after that point I ignored. It was clear that anyone who would actually claim they are a TW player (meaning extensively as I (me) have only played TW sporadically) could never be taken seriously. Total War games are eye candy and just cool from the perspective of short term amusement but the AI in those games is beyond HORRIBLE! The in depth of the Total War games is borderline playing pong back in the 1980s. Comparing HoI (any version) to Total War Is the equivalent of comparing the Space Shuttle (HoI) to a wheel barrel (Total War) when it comes to space travel. One works the other does not!

Arian's Avatar Civis

When this game will be released??

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

We don't know. The game have once again been delayed. It won't be out in Q2 2015.

I am a bit disappointed by it. I hoped to play it this summer

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate Administrator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Lothos View Post
    Everything after that point I ignored. It was clear that anyone who would actually claim they are a TW player (meaning extensively as I (me) have only played TW sporadically) could never be taken seriously. Total War games are eye candy and just cool from the perspective of short term amusement but the AI in those games is beyond HORRIBLE! The in depth of the Total War games is borderline playing pong back in the 1980s. Comparing HoI (any version) to Total War Is the equivalent of comparing the Space Shuttle (HoI) to a wheel barrel (Total War) when it comes to space travel. One works the other does not!
    Well, I will not follow your example and ignore anything you said.

Let me tell you about my latest HOI3 game. As Germany I followed a pretty historic path, so it's spring '41 and the panzers are rolling towards Belgrade. Then on a bombing raid on Split, I notice a British fleet. It is composed by 4 Carriers, 3 CVL's, 6 Battleships, 5 Cruisers, 10 Light Cruisers, 17 Destroyers and 1 Troop Transport carrying one division that storms the beach.It is roughly all the RN. It is roughly the same "all of the RN" that I bombed to smithereens, in my previous game as Germany, pulling the same manoeuvre off Oslo. The question of course was: should I bomb it to smithereens as well? Because in the previous game I did that the UK was out of the war having no navy, so no fun to be had by fighting a one front war.

Did I say one?

I meant none. Oh, there is a war, the logistics war in the east since after years of development and X number of patches, there is no way to set a supply system for the player, so no way to prioritize, plan or time armoured thrusts, which are joyless affairs anyway facing an AI that keeps half its troops between strategic redeployment and repeats ad nauseam every time you restart the game.

Don't misunderstand me. I love HOI (especially HOI2) I consider it an amazing game and despite such shortcomings (and there are much more) I keep playing it and enjoying it. And I have no high regard for unmodified TW. However your arrogant dismissal of another game on the basis of an AI that undermines plausibility (which is the only criterion for quasi-historic simulations) is risible.

Comparing HoI (any version) to Total War Is moronic. Period.
    Last edited by Garbarsardar; May 07, 2015 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lothos View Post
    Ummmm I think you'll find this is, primarily, a total war forum. As such, myself 5 years ago thought it would be amusing to have a basic username stating the literal point that I play tw. I don't see how that invalidates my opinions, indeed, I probably prefer hearts of iron to total war these days, albeit they are completely different games.

(Bit of a necro I know, but just browsing this forum for the first time in ages, thought I'd defend myself!)

Anyway, back to HOI4. Just did another google search to see what the situation was with this game, and it looks like the release has been pushed back to 2016 which is a great shame - Means I'll be in my final year at uni so won't be able to play if I'm behaving myself - Having said that, it's Paradox so probably wouldn't be a great idea to play it on release anyway
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10 (its true )
    My specs:
    CPU - Intel i5 4670k @3.8 GHz | GPU - MSI GEFORCE GTX 770 LIGHTNING 2GB GDDR5 | RAM - 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ | MOBO - Z87 | HDD - 1TB | SSD - SAMSUNG 840 PRO SERIES 256GB SOLID STATE HARD DRIVE 2.5" | PSU - 750W | CASE - COOLERMASTER ENFORCER | MONITOR - 24" IIYAMA