Thread: Language Resources

Acco's Avatar Дијана

Default Language Resources

Thought I would give this idea a whirl. I've seen members asking for or giving useful links to others to help them learn a language, and it reminded me that we have no general 'resources' thread in here. This thread should serve as a repository for useful online resources for learning languages - the content can be anything (lessons, e-books, videos) just as long as they are free and legal. If this picks up, I can edit the OP into a 'table of contents' listing everything that is posted.

I'll provide some links to start off.

-------

Early Indo-European Online - A series of grammar and vocab lessons provided by the Linguistics Research Center at UT Austin in early and modern Indo-European languages. Languages: Albanian, Armenian, Baltic (Lithuanian and Latvian), Old English, Old French, Gothic, Classical Greek, New Testament Greek, Hittite, Old Iranian, Old Irish, Latin, Old Norse, Old Church Slavonic, Sanskrit, Tocharian.

FSI Language Courses - Public domain versions of language courses from the Foreign Service Institute. Languages: Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Russian, and many more.

Wiki Books - Some full or partially completed books/lessons. Languages: Latin, Spanish, French, Mandarin Chinese, some more.

For fun: Introduction to the Babylonian Language - Some resources in Akkadian/Babylonian, if anybody wants to read Hammurabi's Code in its most authentic form... Languages: Babylonian/Akkadian

Vítor Gaspar's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Language Resources

The site looks horrible but it has some really good information.

Portuguese Online - it is really great in that it is really well written and, phonetically-wise, it has the pronunciations, and even slang, of European and Brazilian Portuguese.
    Last edited by Vítor Gaspar; September 24, 2012 at 04:42 PM.

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Excellent idea! + rep

William Whitaker's Words is indispensable for any student of Latin.

Hobbes's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

This is an excellent online library of ancient Greek dictionaries. It is very easy to look for words and even includes the famous Liddell Scott dictionary, which is like a bible for students and professors alike.

BLM - ANTIFA - A.C.A.B. - ANARCHY - ANTI-NATIONALISM

Acco's Avatar Дијана

Found a site called Lexicity which contains a number of resources on ancient languages. Textkit also has free downloads for many ancient Greek and Latin textbooks.

Also, I'd like to mention that language resource products (books/tapes that you purchase) should be posted in the Product Reviews forum. It'd be really great to see some reviews on language products.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

A very usefull site that allows you to easily learn words and expressions in other languages in the form of a mini-quiz. Contains lessons for most European languages and few Asian and African ones too

http://www.internetpolyglot.com/lessons-ro-en
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; November 28, 2012 at 04:42 AM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!