Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legacy Of Numenor (yet another Gondor AAR)

Default Legacy Of Numenor (yet another Gondor AAR)

LEGACY OF NUMENOR

(No this artwork is not mine)
    This is my first AAR. I will try to keep this as well written and captivating as possible. And yes Mr Bowmaster i will try to finish it. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=558572

I was considering a Rhun or a Eriador Campaign but i have always had an interest in the late Roman Empire and 3rd Age Gondor always seemed similar to this. I like the idea of trying to manage a realm in decline that has to withstand attacks from less sophisticated but numerically superior foes.

Criticism and discussion is most welcome so please enjoy The Leagacy Of Numenor

Default Re: Legacy Of Numenor (yet another Gondor AAR)

Part One ETA soon
    (I also seemed to have spelled Legacy wrong at the bottom of the post)

Great!

The sun rose over the realm of Gondor as another day began. Members of the Council of Gondor, some of the less virtuous among them nursing hangovers from the previous nights revelries, assembled in the great council chamber on Minas Tiriths seventh level. Denethor II, 26th Steward of Gondor and Lord of Minas Tirith was once again absent from the meeting and several young pages had seen him ascending the Tower of Ecthelion in a most suspicious manner.
    (For those of you unfamiliar with the backround story, Denethor secretely used a palantir housed at the top of the tower to spy on his enemies)
    Denethors eldest son Boromir oversaw the council in his fathers stead and his entry into the chamber was met with the traditional salute of bowed heads and hands upon breasts.
    Also in attendance were the realms most distinguished commanders including Faramir, second son of Denethor and Prince Imrahil of Dol Amroth. A large map of Middle Earth was placed upon a table and all those in attendance gathered closely round.

Behold, Minas Tirith in all its glory.(BTW i must commend the team for a fantastic campaign map of middle earth)
    After a brief inspection of Gondors territories it is instantly clear that the realms military is in a piss poor state and will need extensive reorganisation if i wish to prevail against the coming darkness. Most units currently availiable seem to poor quality militia troops so i will need to recruit better quality troops as soon as possible.
    (Authors Note-Although i am a fairly well experienced Total War player, i have only just installed this particular mod and therefore dont know much about the unit capabilities and stats. Input on this is welcome)

Now to inspect the borders.

Osgiliath, former capital and cultural center of Gondor. Now a battered ruin on the frontlines between Gondor and Mordor, in times of war a grim charnel house that consumes man and beast alike. Currently i hold the western bank while Saurons forces hold the east. Only 2 units of Ithilien Rangers (one the bodyguard of Faramir) hold the city. I will need to reinforce them quickly to deny mean mr Sauron a crossing point for his armies.

This handsome fellow is in charge of the orc garrison on the eastern shore. I look forward to soon relieving him of this charge.

The other major crossing point over this part of the Anduin is at Cair Andros, a former fortress of Gondor but now inhabited by bandits. I must capture this fortress quickly to prevent Orc incursions onto the western shore.

And back to Minas Tirith for a good example of the forces availiable to us. 3 militia units and an elite fountain guard unit.
    (Authors Note- I have no intention of using Denethor as a field commander. Ive always disliked him and seen him as a bit of a miserable bastard who is unfit for command. Regardless of whether or not this is true, i will keep him in Minas Tirith and use Boromir or Imrahil as the top military commanders)

The port city of Pelargir, home of Gondors navy. Initially i dont plan to invest much into the expansion of my naval forces but once my land forces are up to standard i may build up a sizable fleet and go pillage Umbar(who dosent love a good sacking).

After some consideration i have elected to construct a proper barracks in Minas Tirith, Dol Amroth and Pelagir. I will then focus on recruiting a substantial force of regular infantry to replace the militia troops. I will also build up a sizable mounted arm to support the foot sloggers and make sure i have enough ranged units.

Initially i plan to secure the Anduin river crossings. Once this is done i will deploy rangers and mounted troops onto the East bank to harras Mordor troop movements.

I have also been thinking about sending an expedition up north to reclaim the lands of Arnor. Ive always been interested by Arnor and was a little dissapointed by the lack of an Arnor campaign so this could be interesting. However that will come much later after i have secured the borders.

The council was adjourned and those in attendance noisily filed out of the chamber. It was clear that Gondor had fallen into complacency during the quiet period prior to Saurons return to Mordor, and to survive the coming war Gondor had to prepare itself.

Bowmaster's Avatar Biarchus

Have you read the books and/or seen the movies? You mention Denethor as an idiot and a bastard, that's what the movies give.

Edit: Could you use spoilers so that the pages of these threads won't become way too long? Just look at what Denethor's Gondor-AAR looks like with huge chapters and no spoilers.
    Last edited by Bowmaster; September 23, 2012 at 02:01 PM.
    (yeah, yeah, I'm fin player of TATW 3.2...

In Memoriam: Blackomur89

Save MERP and TATW!

He was near the end when he lost Boromir and (apparently) faramir, but they say he was very lordly and mighty in the books.

Trailhog250's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Gandalf View Post
    He was near the end when he lost Boromir and (apparently) faramir, but they say he was very lordly and mighty in the books.

+rep

Absolutely right, Denethor II was supposed to have been according to Tolkien one of the 'most kingly' stewards to have ever reigned in the past age or so since the line of kings was broken.

Have you read the books and/or seen the movies? You mention Denethor as an idiot and a bastard, that's what the movies give.

Edit: Could you use spoilers so that the pages of these threads won't become way too long? Just look at what Denethor's Gondor-AAR looks like with huge chapters and no spoilers
    Its been many years since i have read the books so i cant remember much about the original Denethor and my perception of him is largely based on his film depiction. However when i read the book i can remember i didnt like him too much, and a 65 year old man who is well accustomed to the comforts of palace life seems to be out of place leading troops in the field.

And sorry about not using spoilers. I originally had the post in spoilers but as i was typing it up my internet cut out and i had to start over and forgot to place it in spoilers. Will remember to use spoilers in the next entry.

Hamilicar's Avatar Tiro

you might also want to focus on your economy first and military second... the pelegir marines are very good skirmishers/light infantry

PART 2
    Mordor Stirs
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Recapturing Andrast
    The great gates of Dol Amroth swung open and the Column, led by the banner of Prince Imrahil began the long march to Lond Galen. A caravan of foreign merchants who were waiting to enter the city were awed by the proud Swan Knights whose armour glittered in the early morning sun. Following the Swan Knights were several companies of militia infantry. Although they had limited training and experience they were still quite a spectacle as they proudly marched behind the Swan Knights. Riders had been sent out several days before, carrying instructions to the lord of Lond Galen, instructing him to assemble his infantry and have them ready to join with the column when it arrived.

Another early objective that i forgot to mention in the previous post is the western region of Andrast that is currently under rebel control. I have dispatched a small column under Prince Imrahil to take the settlement there. They will march from Dol Amroth to Lond Galen and merge with another force being prepared there and then the combined force will besiege and capture the settlement. Cavalry reconaissance from Lond Galen has revealed the garrison to consist mainly of poor quality militia troops who shouldnt prove to be too much of a challenge.

The Eastern Border

After several quiet turns, Saurons forces have stirred. A small Orc host has crossed the river and has attacked West Osgiliath. The previous turn i saw a large Mordor force moving into the Morgul Vale. In case they reappear and attack Osgiliath i have dispatched Boromir who has returned from establishing watchtowers along the northern frontier, and several companies of regular Gondor infantry to reinforce Faramirs Rangers.

Several small bands of orcs are also moving south through the Ithilien and a small force has moved to threaten the Cair Andros. With most of my reserves committed to the center it is fortunate that Mordor has not sent a larger force to attack Cair Andros.

Mordor has attacked with an inadequate force so this should not be too hard.

PART 3
    War Returns To Osgiliath
    [SPOILER]
    The Orcs had made no attempt to conceal their intentions. The night air was filled with the sounds of orc horns and fierce war chants that echoed across the Anduin, as the men of gondor rushed to man their defences and made ready to repulse the assault. While night faded into day, the orcs came.
    Using a crudely constructed barge they had managed to get a battering ram across the river and under a grey sky, they made their assault.

Faramirs Rangers, reinforced by a company of militia and a company of Lossanarch axemen defend the city. As reinforcements were unable to reach the city in time, it is up to these men to hold the line. The Ithilien Rangers have been deployed along a wall covering two gates that lead into West Osgiliath.

The Orc band swarms through East Osgiliath, no doubt intent on pillage and destruction.

An Orc Ram is pushed towards the central gate, under heavy fire from the Ithilien Rangers on the walls.

Ithilien Rangers deliver another volley into the orc ranks.

Several orcs abandon their attempts to breach the gate and flee, only to be shot down by the Rangers leaving the area strewn with orc corpses.

The main Orc force has crossed the river and is heading for the south gate, intent on scaling the walls with ladders.

A small detachment of Orcs makes another attempt to use the ram to breach the gate. Most are shot down by the Rangers and the survivors flee.

As the Orc ladders reach the walls, the Rangers drop their bows, unsheathe their swords and make ready to repel their attackers.

The Rangers lay into the Orcs with their blades, facing this bloody task with grim determination.

Yet more Orcs and a few fierce Uruk Hai, wait their turn to scale the walls and bring death to the hated men of Gondor.

The Militia company sallies forth to bring the fight to the Orcs.

The Axemen of Lossanarch join the fray and the Orcs are either put to flight or killed where they stand.

The Orc commander and his Uruk bodyguard attempt to escape and are cut down by Faramir and his Rangers. Faramir personally beheads the Orc captain and the rest of the Orc force tries to flee back across the Anduin.

The fleeing orcs are run down by their pursuers and the men of Gondor celebrate their victory. Ale is distributed to the men and Mordor has been shown that Gondor is still a formidable foe.

Casualties are evacuated to Minas Tirith while the Orc corpses are burned or simply dumped into the Anduin, along with their weapons and armour. A Mordor banner has been captured and Faramir intends to present this trophy to his father upon his return to the White City.
    [SPOILER]

Damm spoilers not working. I seem to be unable to edit my posts for some reason so i apologise for this inconvenience.

Also, i am curious about what other players do with captured Orcs. I ask this because i captured a number of Orcs during this engagement and cant recall Orcs being taken prisoner in either Tolkeins works or the movies.

It seems likely that any Orcs taken prisoner would be put out of their misery but i keep executing prisoners will my characters traits be affected.
    Boromir The Cruel or Faramir The Merciless dosent sound particularly appealing.

Bowmaster's Avatar Biarchus

Ransom. It is rare that they accept, and if they accept to save the prisoners, hunt them down with one militia unit, they won't get far.

Oh, and +rep (or was it rep+)
    (yeah, yeah, I'm fin player of TATW 3.2...

In Memoriam: Blackomur89

Save MERP and TATW!

Ransom them or release them. Increases your respect.

Also, take cair andros. It is incredibly useful.

sanderman2's Avatar Centenarius

Good Battle ,

I donīt know your total plan but i usually just concentrate on mordor first and defend against harad, but Iīd like to see someone doing it different.

Anyways looks promesing

Basileos Predator's Avatar Campidoctor

a grim told on your ithilien rangers.I will be hard to replace their use on a battlefield.

PART 4
    Crisis In The East

The past few turns had been quiet for the men guarding Osgiliath. A relief force led by Boromir had reinforced the city after the previous battle and the increased number of defenders had deterred the Orcs from making any more assaults. However Boromir and a small force has now been sent north to recapture Cair Andros, greatly weakening the garrison. The Orcs have taken advantage of this and have attacked with a much larger force. With no help coming, Faramir and his men know that their final hour may be approaching.

Meanwhile in the south a Haradrim force has crossed the Anduin, intending to pillage Gondors southern regions. Linhir has been reinforced and Forlong The Fat is leading a relief column south from Lossarnach.

After a hard march up the Anduin, the column led by Boromir has reached Cair Andros and is preparing to assault the rebel held fortress.

a grim told on your ithilien rangers.I will be hard to replace their use on a battlefield.
    Unfortuntely the brave Ithilien rangers will suffer even more in the upcoming battle.

Oh dear. I would reccomend downloading the bodyguard changer submod and changing faramirs guard to cavalry for a while. Incredibly useful.

PART 4 continued

The drums on the east bank began to beat as the sun rose over Osgiliath, providing light but little heat against the early morning chill. Men who had spent the night freezing on the battlements in anticipation of a night attack, made ready to repulse the long awaited assault. The men of Gondor knew that they were outnumbered. Several nights ago Faramir had led a small patrol across the Anduin to observe the enemy forces. Crossing in boats, the small team of Rangers used their superior fieldcraft to slip past the Orc sentries and managed to establish an observation post overlooking the main Orc encampment. They had witnessed several thousand Orcs making preparations to cross the Anduin and the Rangers immediately withrew to prepare for the assault.
    Boromir had taken several hundred men from the garrison up north to Cair Andros and there were few reinforcements left in Minas Tirith so the men of Gondor knew that once again they were on their own.

The Rangers man the walls while the infantry including a unit of elite fountain guards, wait in reserve behind.

An Orc siegetower dwarfs the buildings in East Osgiliath.

Whipped forward by their captains, the Orc host advances.

Led by their hot headed captain, the axemen of Lossarnach sally forth to intercept the Orc ram. The Axemen cut down hundreds of Orcs but are overwhelmed as the Orc vanguard arrives and only a well timed sally by a company of spearmen is able to save them.

The Orc vanguard assaults the walls with ladders and the Rangers pull back to let the spearmen take their place on the walls.

Orcs continue to swarm across the Anduin despite heavy casualties from the Rangers bowfire.

The Rangers form up and deliver volleys of arrows over the wall. They had trouble disengaging from the melee on the walls and suffered many casualties.

With the men on the walls hard pressed to hold back the Orcs, Faramir orders the infantry reserve to sally forth. The elite veterans of the Fountain guard present their spears prepare to enter the fray.

In a repeat of the previous battle, the Orcs are taken in the flank while waiting to ascend the ladders.

Faramir leads his Rangers and a unit of spearmen forward through the central gate....

... and into the Orc ranks.

Surrounded on all sides, the Orcs are cut down before the walls.

The exhausted company of spearmen on the walls have sold their lives dearly, killing dozens of Orcs for every man lost. However they are eventually crushed by the weight of numbers and are killed to a man.

Orc Archers use their elevated position to fire upon the Rangers below. Suffering heavy casualties, the Rangers withdraw into cover.

The second company of Spearmen ascends the enemy ladders and attacks the Orcs who have taken the walls. The Spearmen avenge their comrades by slaughtering every Orc atop the walls. The Orcs try to flee but are speared or thrown from the walls by the vengeful spearmen.

The carpet of bodies on top of the wall.

The carnage before the walls.

The shoreline is strewn with Orc bodies, the victims of the unforgiving bowfire from the Ithilien Rangers. Streams of their black blood flow into the Anduin.

The men of Gondor prepare for a renewed assault but the Orc reserves are unwilling to engage.

As the Orcs withdraw, a victory of sorts has been won. The streets are packed with the wounded and overworked healers struggle to provide them with aid. Faramir walks among the bodies and is heard to remark that one more such victory would utterly undo us. While the Orc assault has been blunted, it is unlikely that the men will be able to repulse another.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast