Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853 ... LastLast

Thread: Divide and Conquer (Looking for unit balancers and experienced scripters!)

SirEyeball's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Divide and Conquer

Is there going to be a campaign option to have a conquest only campaign? One where the factions each try and take over the entire middle earth by well dividing and conquering really.
    I watch and Learn

Emperor of Hell's Avatar SPA-NED 1-5

If I understand you correctly;
    You can do that in any mod actually. There is no need for another campaign. Just conquer middle earth. What should be different in the conquest only campaign then?

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor of Hell View Post
    If I understand you correctly;
    You can do that in any mod actually. There is no need for another campaign. Just conquer middle earth. What should be different in the conquest only campaign then?
    Well for one the definition of good versus evil makes it not so funny to start from scratch. Also the constant running around for the ring is also not so great in a strictly strategy game. I did some modifications to the MOS mod so there are no initial alliances and wars at game start + removed some of the ring script. That works somewhat OK. The only thing I would like changes there is a bigger map (I do use the extended map) and separate cultures for the "evil" factions so they don't all use the Sauron culture but gets to be more individual and well be easier to divide and conquer or if you play as them be easier to distinguish and more fun to expand their separate culture.
    I watch and Learn

Then the answer is NO
    Dang I really miss a sub mod that focuses on the total war bit and not so much a story driven campaign.
    I watch and Learn

PCP has a sandbox campaign
    I know I tried that and the way it was set up was perfect. Unfortunately the map is really bad (too few regions and too far apart) and the creatures are too dominant so I gave up using it. I might return but actually like MOS better with my own modifications. I wish I knew how to mod the cultures though. And I would like to see a map of Middle Earth in its entirety with factions to boot that would make for the perfect game.
    I watch and Learn

Dutch-Balrog's Avatar Domesticus

Then start modding lol.
    Man, i'm totally looking forward to D&C!
    But take all the time you need, don't rush anything and double check everything.

Quote Originally Posted by SirEyeball View Post
    Is there going to be a campaign option to have a conquest only campaign? One where the factions each try and take over the entire middle earth by well dividing and conquering really.
    hmm, for total conquest is play stainless steel. but when it comes to lord of the rings, i'd rather stick to lore since it is tolkien's masterpiece after all i can't imagine (and would not even consider imagining) gondor fighting against rohan and things like that..

Quote Originally Posted by SRACon17 View Post
    hmm, for total conquest is play stainless steel. but when it comes to lord of the rings, i'd rather stick to lore since it is tolkien's masterpiece after all i can't imagine (and would not even consider imagining) gondor fighting against rohan and things like that..
    It is only a game and as soon as you start you alter the story anyway so I see no reason not to play a total conquest game with the fantastic units and in the great world Tolkien wrote and the TATW team made into said game. As for Gondor fighting Rohan or High elves or whatnot its just factions like when you play Dawn of war and has Imperial Troops fighting Space Marines or when you play the original TW and have Mayans fighting Aztec or England fighting HRE. I find that limitations just hamper any game I play. Same as when I play CK 2 I love changing history and use mods to be able to play as a Norse Denmark to see if I can make them survive if they didn't convert. If I wanted to play the books I'd buy an adventure game for it. I have read the books several times and know how they end so I would rather like to rewrite the story with the world and factions as a backdrop and see where it takes me rather than let the fact that Gandalf and and friends managed to restore the fragile alliances in the nick of time (that happens way after the game begins anyway) stop me from pursuing new angles of game play. Well each to his own.
    Last edited by SirEyeball; October 14, 2012 at 08:24 PM.
    I watch and Learn

I understand what do you want to say, and the mod will be quite free. If you want a total conquest you will be able to delete all the scripts in the game, and there will not be as many limitations as you think. You will of course be able to change history. But many things will be inspired on it. For the moment there will be one unbreakable alliance between Dol Amroth and Gondor, and there will be probably no others. And of course if it follows the book you will never win when you are Mordor, so it is not interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Arandir Tur-Anion View Post
    I understand what do you want to say, and the mod will be quite free. If you want a total conquest you will be able to delete all the scripts in the game, and there will not be as many limitations as you think. You will of course be able to change history. But many things will be inspired on it. For the moment there will be one unbreakable alliance between Dol Amroth and Gondor, and there will be probably no others. And of course if it follows the book you will never win when you are Mordor, so it is not interesting.
    Sounds like I just have to do the little bit of Modding I did to mos to make it work for me so very much looking forward to this.
    I watch and Learn

So good luck for the modding. About this we still need people to help us for the mod, especially in writing and scripting.

Default Re: Divide and Conquer (Looking for writers and experienced scripters!)

A pic from some early beta testing
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

If you guys are lucky I will add a full lindon preview tonight

Remember that although on that pic it looks quite finished we still need a lot of help from mainly writers and scripters!

What kind of writers are you looking for?

Mostly faction descriptions, unit descriptions and event descriptions.

I would be up for that.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Glorfindel belong to Rivendell btw
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

The starting positions still need a lot of work

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I wonder why Erebor is rebelling?