Page 10 of 54 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast

Thread: Divide and Conquer (Looking for unit balancers and experienced scripters!)

Makrell's Avatar The first of all fish

Default Re: Divide and Conquer (Looking for writers and experienced scripters!)

Question for the modelers of dac, will the lonely mountain CAMPAIGn map model have 2 dwarves oin front, as per the hobbit movie?

that would eb awesome, but ofc needs modeling

FireFreak111's Avatar Artifex

Likely won't be in the first release, but it's a good idea. The second Hobbit movie will dramatically increase the screen-time of Erebor, allowing in-depth modelling (leo or KK likely) down to the battle map.

Not sure if we have a strat-map modeler right now...

Having painted a couple of maps of Middle earth I would suggest:

-More forests in Harlindon, as there is a wood in the map and the Sindar and Nandor dwelt there.
    -There should be low hills between Erebor and the Withered Heath
    -Withered Heath should be like Mordor or the Brown Lands as it is a devastated land.
    -A small part of mirkwood expanded eastward towards Riverrun and there is also a part of the forest beyond Celduin.
    -I would like to see the three mountains of Moria defined.
    -Remake the Dimril dale to look like in the book
    -Add Rhimdath and Greyline rivers in the upper vales of Anduin.
    -Some ruined-rebel Fortresses or fort in the Trollshaws north of the road, as the four Hobbits with Aragorn saw those towering aout of the hills
    -Add some barrows in the Barrow Downs on the map if possible and on that region's northern edge some parts of wall like the rammas Echor (border-line of Cardolan) These walls could also be along the Weather-Hills showing the old fortifications against Rhudaur...
    -Add Buckland region as it was an important town of the Shire
    -Minhiriath (between Allimir and Argond) did not have hills, but marshlands as its midmost region was known as the Great Fen
    -Redesign Lefnui River's course and Tolfalas coast line
    -Add a small island off the mouths of Isen (First map detail but nice detail in my opinion as the coastline is too empty)
    -Add river Calenhir south of Rendul (second map detail)
    -Add a smal wood where snowbourne meets Entwash
    -Add hills east od Tir Ethraid and redesign Poros
    Let’s keep enjoying kings and wizards. But also remember to keep them where they belong.
    Where they can do little harm.
    Where they entertain us.

In fantasies...

Elfhelm's Avatar Biarchus

Wishing you all the best of good luck for 2013 guys & gals! I'm not the only one who has been soo looking forward to DAC for soo Looong now especially after all the work that was already put in!

Post-Christmas Present:

The Golden Trees of Lorien

Second Preview: The Breeland and The Shire

The Bree-Hill

Open for suggestions as always.
    @Arǭmēz
    Those are all good suggestions, will implement as many as I can. I've been looking at maps of Moria, the west/east gate and the Dimrill Dale, it's very, very different to Third Age. I would like to redo it, I'll see what I can do. Also I already removed all the hills south of Bree in Eriador, made no sense whatsoever.
    Last edited by FireFreak111; December 26, 2012 at 04:25 PM.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Nice ones Fire'
    Last edited by Ngugi; December 26, 2012 at 04:13 PM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliį Alė, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Emperor of Hell's Avatar SPA-NED 1-5

I am trying to make custom models for Lorien as well, if you guys are lucky I'll get them working in game

Moar of the campaign map!

I couldn't just post a quarter of my work on Eriador, so here is the rest of it (75%, still certain areas needing heavy touch-up before preview).

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The Shire (Closeup)

South Ered Luin

Enedwaith (Prepare for shock )

Cardolan/Minhiriath

And a nice extra present: WIP Angmar!

Emperor of Hell's Avatar SPA-NED 1-5

Credits go to alreadyded for the terrain textures

Looks great, but should not the area in western Rohan/Isengard have a bit more dense wooded area? It looks very open Oh and do you intend on implementing the Beorning faction and giving them cities such as Framsburg, Maethelburg(Mathlaburg?) and ofcourse Beorns Halls? I am not sure about Rhosgobel or Wrakyaburg, as in which faction they rightfully belong to. Could not find any suggestions thread so I just posted it here.

Might as well consider it suggestion thread for now. The Vale of Anduin is a faction, one of the many factions in DaC. They own all the settlements in the Anduin Vale except Wrakyaburg and the Gladden Fields. Enedwaith is a deforested area, it did have dense forests but in the Second Age the Numenorians slaughtered the forests, leaving it a baren place (I'm technically being generous with those forests currently there).

@Arǭmēz
    I'm going to break down your post point-by-point, answering each suggestion.
    Having painted a couple of maps of Middle earth I would suggest:

-More forests in Harlindon, as there is a wood in the map and the Sindar and Nandor dwelt there. - Partially done, before this can be properly done the southern Ered Luin mountains need to be revamped, one of the few mountain ranges needing work.
    -There should be low hills between Erebor and the Withered Heath - Will do, any maps? I will need a source to be accurately placed, doesn't seem like there are any.
    -Withered Heath should be like Mordor or the Brown Lands as it is a devastated land. - So you are suggesting the climate of mordor? Or more like south of Dol Guldur in TATW?
    -A small part of mirkwood expanded eastward towards Riverrun and there is also a part of the forest beyond Celduin. - I will soon revamp Mirkwood, will likely be done in the progress
    -I would like to see the three mountains of Moria defined. - This is a tough one, as modifying the mountains is something that's always hard. Although, this is an important one, and I will try my hardest.
    -Remake the Dimril dale to look like in the book - Will do with the Moria revamp, will be extremely tough, left till last for my best work.
    -Add Rhimdath and Greyline rivers in the upper vales of Anduin. - Rivers are going to go through an extensive overhaul to match many maps. Currently in many places especially Gondor the rivers are very off.
    -Some ruined-rebel Fortresses or fort in the Trollshaws north of the road, as the four Hobbits with Aragorn saw those towering aout of the hills - Again, any map (even a quick job with paint for direction? ) source? Are you suggesting a usable mini-fort or a settlement? Or just a 'resource' being a ruined keep.
    -Add some barrows in the Barrow Downs on the map if possible and on that region's northern edge some parts of wall like the rammas Echor (border-line of Cardolan) These walls could also be along the Weather-Hills showing the old fortifications against Rhudaur... - Not sure if the walls are possible, but a mini-barrow downs resource model is something I've been thinking about for a while, consider it to be done.
    -Add Buckland region as it was an important town of the Shire - Will do, should The Old Forest be apart of the Breeland or Buckland? I'll call the region Shire - Buckland (to join Shire - Westfarthing and so on)
    -Minhiriath (between Allimir and Argond) did not have hills, but marshlands as its midmost region was known as the Great Fen - As stated, removed, as seen in the previews. The Great Fen will be implemented.
    -Redesign Lefnui River's course and Tolfalas coast line - As stated, rivers will be redone. I will look at maps of Tolfalas and revamp it. Considering removing the region and adding it to some Gondor region, not sure if I should. It was 100% depopulated if I remember, there shouldn't be a settlement. Maybe I'll make it a small fort with a sub-100 population.
    -Add a small island off the mouths of Isen (First map detail but nice detail in my opinion as the coastline is too empty) - Will do
    -Add river Calenhir south of Rendul (second map detail) - Is this lore? If not, I need the most reliable source on that river.
    -Add a small wood where snowbourne meets Entwash - Rohan will be redone for Lore, will be done.
    -Add hills east of Tir Ethraid and redesign Poros - Rivers will be done, will examine those hills.
    Currently redoing the Gwathlo, only sailable river for now getting revamped considering its inaccuracy, it's actually limiting the mapping I can do in that area.
    Last edited by FireFreak111; December 27, 2012 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Color fix

This is stunning ! I am more than impressed with your will to stick to the lore , concerning the geography and the exact position of every settlement , forest , the type of terrain to be used for every mountain range . It is astonishing !
    Do you need descriptions for Angmar units ? I remember I helped TD to make the descriptions of his new Angmar's units . So if you need some help , just tell me !

-for the Hills arround erebor. There are some hills in the hobbit map to the east of the mountain and in the pictures drawn by tolkien there are some hills or faraway mountains behind erebor.
    -The Withered Heath is a land blasted by dragons... I would use a mordor climate...
    -About the Rhudaur fortresses... there are no maps only the text:
    "As they went forward the hills about them steadily rose. Here and there upon heights and ridges they caught glimpses of ancient walls of stone, and the ruins of towers: they had an ominous look. Frodo, who was not walking, had time to gaze ahead and to think. He recalled Bilbo's account of his journey and the threatening towers on the hills north of the Road, in the country near the Trolls' wood where his first serious adventure had happened."
    These they saw the same day they crossed the Last bridge so I suppose the ruins are near Mitheithel... They could be a ruined fortress like Amon Sul with some forts arround it
    -Since Tom Bombadil had dealings with Hobbits I would place the Old Forest in the Buckland Region, Or would cut Minas Malloth region into a Tyrn Gothaed(containing the Old Forest) and a Minas Malloth Region...
    -Calenhir river appears in the Second Map, HoME8, page 434 Q11... It is unknown if the river was dropped or just ignored in the Trilogy map, but it could be a detail for the map...
    -About the Hills near poros... Near the fords stood the great mound of the sons of Folcwine who fell there, and in the Tolkien Companion Poros is described as falling from the shadowy mountains and following a wide valley
    Let’s keep enjoying kings and wizards. But also remember to keep them where they belong.
    Where they entertain us.

In fantasies...

It looks great...the one thing that worries me are so close proximity of settlements, that it may result in siegefest. Also, to avoid fast expansions, maybe units in their orginal, home regions gains more move points and morale boost. Just sharing some thoughts, it looks good. Have been looking forward to this mod!
    Fighting with the Wisdom, the Bosnian Kingdom

Other Things that could be used for the map is the names themselves who give us information about each region... for example Cardolan, had lone hills with either red flowers or reddish soil... Ringlo was swampy banks ect...
    Where they entertain us.

In fantasies...

Tuckborough and Bucklebury sould appear on the map ... More than Hobbiton and Longbottom.

And... Lķrien is amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry for my bad English ; I'm Belgian.

Gondolin's Avatar Tiro

Your mod isn't out yet and is already a must have.

Lorien is getting better with custom models. I've been considering more Shire towns or switching them. Suggestions are welcome, maybe even a poll. Longbottom never really struck me as an important town.

Still working on the Gwathlo river in a way, the River itself is redone but the bigger problem is now Eregion and Dunland. They have to be moved south-west more and expanded, especially Eregion. Its now far more accurate, but basically requires them to be fully redone. The two rivers in Eregion and the Mitheithel/Hoarwell river have been redone as well to lore accurate standards. Work is also being done on Amon Hen, and the river from Rauros to Caras Galadhron has been redone. Buckland is also implemented now. The Tower Hills with the three White Towers has been redone and the towers moved. Previews will come once the Gwathlo and its surrounding regions is complete.
    Last edited by FireFreak111; December 27, 2012 at 09:26 PM.