Thread: [SOLVED] CTD

Default [SOLVED] CTD

When i restart my computer and try and try and launch ACW i can get to the main intro screen but when i try to load a ACW saved game it crashes. Before restarting it worked fine. Also all other mods work fine

Default Re: CTD

I have a similar problem. I can run the mod and Vanilla game fine until I get to a point to load a saved campaign or start a new one and it will crash after about 50% of loading bar is filled. Crashes no matter the campaign style either (Regular map, Warpath map, play as Union, play as Confederates).I did not restart my computer, but I did leave it alone for 8 hours on sleep mode. When I came back nothing from Empire Total War worked (this mod or Vanilla game). I tried a fresh installment of mod and patch, both of which worked fine a week or so ago. When that did not work I tried a reboot of system after an unneeded defrag and file cleansing, and now that those have not worked I am trying a fresh install of everything Total War. I have scoured forums for answer and just made an account on here to be able to post this. Please help, I bought Empire solely to play this mod.

Minas Moth's Avatar Senator

hm this issue is extremely weird... It has similarity with the 2.6 issues where many users were experiencing crashes when trying to load a saved game. it seems that save game is corrupt somehow... why and how I really couldn't say... I have never experienced this kind of crash myself and I have done a lot of save-game loads with 3.4.1 version, especially when modding...

all I could find on official Steam forums are only guesses on what is causing it (the y are all unconfirmed):
    1) different time stamp of the save-games
    some users report that their time stamps are messed for as much as six hours. however, official statement is that it shouldn't cause save game crash.
    2) the other reason is interaction with certain factions
    this refers mainly to Huron faction in vanilla game. however, I can't really recall who is Huron in ACW mod, so question would be are you fighting anyone else besides the Union or Confederacy?

Sorry for the delayed reply. A complete re-install of everything worked for about a week and now having same issue. As the Confederacy I was also at war with Mexico, but as the Union I was only at war with the Confederacy.

Quote Originally Posted by zachariah1688 View Post
    Sorry for the delayed reply. A complete re-install of everything worked for about a week and now having same issue. As the Confederacy I was also at war with Mexico, but as the Union I was only at war with the Confederacy.
    yes, that is extremely weird mate...I guess that something "you do" while playing the game causes this. I don't mean that you don't know what you are doing, I just point to the fact that game obviously doesn't like some buttons to be pushed... hm, I can't say how to fix this... in-fact there is none who know, as far as I know... sorry

Any other help than the vague "We have no clue what is happening to you"? As in; could it possibly be a preference issue that I have toggled? Graphics setting set to the wrong position? I can recreate the problem but I am not sure that I am screwing anything up other than playing it. I really love this mod and just want to play...

Quote Originally Posted by zachariah1688 View Post
    Any other help than the vague "We have no clue what is happening to you"? As in; could it possibly be a preference issue that I have toggled? Graphics setting set to the wrong position? I can recreate the problem but I am not sure that I am screwing anything up other than playing it. I really love this mod and just want to play...
    well, there is not much we can say (at least I can't). the time stamp and save game issue was "somehow fixed" by CA when they issued their official patches. that solved the problem for most of the people.

The preference file should not be tampered with (if we are talking the ACW mod). there is nothing that should be changed there. when it comes to graphics, we have issues with some unit models that are a huge resource drain for the machines, but that will be solved in next major update. in the meantime solution would be to lower the graphics settings, turn off AA etc. but that will have effect only if you are experiencing battle crashes, not corrupted save-game issue.

this is a very rare problem, only two reported from thousands of downloads so excuse us for not being able to provide more detailed answer or solution.

Okay. Thanks and no need to be excused, was just fretting.

Is anyone else still having this problem? (v3.41) I've played for hours at a stretch without any trouble, but when restarting the computer and another session, nothing fires up after the start screen; savegame, new game, vanilla, nothing. Reinstalling the whole thing, game and mod, cured it the first time, the old savegame started perfectly.
    Next day, same problem again. This time, merely removing ACW, including user script, ( manually, uninstaller doesn't seem to work) rebooting PC, verifying files with Steam, and reinstalling mod worked. Hopefully I'll have it down to even less time when it next happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Minas Moth View Post
    hm this issue is extremely weird... It has similarity with the 2.6 issues where many users were experiencing crashes when trying to load a saved game. it seems that save game is corrupt somehow... why and how I really couldn't say... I have never experienced this kind of crash myself and I have done a lot of save-game loads with 3.4.1 version, especially when modding...

all I could find on official Steam forums are only guesses on what is causing it (the y are all unconfirmed):
    1) different time stamp of the save-games
    some users report that their time stamps are messed for as much as six hours. however, official statement is that it shouldn't cause save game crash.
    2) the other reason is interaction with certain factions
    this refers mainly to Huron faction in vanilla game. however, I can't really recall who is Huron in ACW mod, so question would be are you fighting anyone else besides the Union or Confederacy?

I have this same crash issue. While playing as the Confederacy the Hurons rebelled (Britain owned) I am assuming because their territories automatically turned over to me. Maybe there is a problem here?

Quote Originally Posted by Tora View Post
    Is anyone else still having this problem? (v3.41) I've played for hours at a stretch without any trouble, but when restarting the computer and another session, nothing fires up after the start screen; savegame, new game, vanilla, nothing. Reinstalling the whole thing, game and mod, cured it the first time, the old savegame started perfectly.
    Next day, same problem again. This time, merely removing ACW, including user script, ( manually, uninstaller doesn't seem to work) rebooting PC, verifying files with Steam, and reinstalling mod worked. Hopefully I'll have it down to even less time when it next happens.
    Yes I have the same issue

This fixed the issue for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Minas Moth View Post
    ok guys, you have to log-in to the Steam before starting the ACW launcher... the best was to do it is to log-in immediately after starting up your computer. If you experience this crash, then you close the launcher, restart your pc and then after the re-boot log-in to the Steam (once again, before starting the ACW launcher itself)... I believe that is the issue in both of your cases...
    Last edited by Minas Moth; February 18, 2013 at 04:32 PM. Reason: editing the thread

Default Re: [SOLVED] CTD

SOLVED&