Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Mordor Campaign

Default My Mordor Campaign

The Norseman recommended that I post my campaign lets play on here so here I am!
    Ive been reading up on the guides and ive filmed and uploaded the first two parts so any advice and feedback you guys can give me would be hugely appreciated!

Default Re: My Mordor Campaign

Great videos Alex! About the spy near Dol Goldur, you should move it north or west to watch over the Silvan Elves and the nearby rebel settlements. They will be coming for you at one point. In the east Rhun will already have taken those cities and even if they have not, you will only gain a small rebel city and join borders with Dale who will spawn armies to attack you. I am looking forward to more!

I shall turn my spy around then It seems everyone wants to attack me then ;p

Senator

Excellent battle against Gondor, although you should be very worried that they have Gondorian Infantry, those guys are tough. But obviously not as tough as your Black Numenoreans, they tore the Gondorian troops to pieces.

Just a quick tip, do not use fire arrows against Light Infantry (Such as those woodsmen, because fire arows are Armor Piercing, and obviously woodsmen are not armoured, use them instead on the Gondorian Infantry, and they'll collapse.

Remember the Mordor winning formula though: Nazgul+Back attack=inevitable win. GLORY TO MORDOR

Ah thanks for the tips!

Yeah fighting uphill against heavy infantry in the Gondor battle was a bit scary to start with! In the next part they besiege Osliagath, what should I do? as they seem quite happy to sit there and siege me out as they have superior numbers :S

Ah thanks for the tips!

Yeah fighting uphill against heavy infantry in the Gondor battle was a bit scary to start with! In the next part they besiege Osliagath, what should I do? as they seem quite happy to sit there and siege me out as they have superior numbers :S

Senator

It's difficult to overcome a Gondorian force if they outnumber you, but it is possible. DO not let them wait a siege out, because it will make your numbers suffer even more. So sally out!

If they outnumber you, they might not back off and actually attack the city when you sally out. Then comes the clincher. There is no way you can defeat Gondorian units head on, it is impossible. They will win.

But suppose, horrors of horrors, that you have a Nazgul in the besieged city. With the ability to scare the crap out of gondor units. In your videos, whenever you use the Witch King's power it makes archers waver. Imagine what would happen if you sent the Nazgul out of a side gate, or out of the front gate before the enemy get there, and then waited until they broke your gate, before charging them from the rear. Then use the ability. Insta rout. So Nazgul....use them!

Also, I suggest you build some nice barracks at the Black Gate, because then you can recruit Morannon Guards, which are far better than Orc Bands. Plus, I like the way you build leather tanners, but I recommend building a blacksmith in Minas Morgul and the black Gate, because they should be your main recruiting centres. All you reallly need to do is to hold out until you can get trolls (About 50 turns in) and then you can sweep Gondor into the sea. Do not be worried about taking losses against Gondor in the early game because your early troops are awful. Just keep your losses at about the same as their own and you should be alright.

PS: Garrison Script is deadlier than Gondor's troops. Do not attack any cities like Pelargir or Minas Tirith until you have a great army because then they will spawn units that will whoop your ass back to Osgiliath.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by Lortano; September 22, 2012 at 12:20 PM.

Part three!

Thanks for the advice, im rather low on money as I went on a recruiting drive (part 4 and 5) but I will build better barracks asap!

Senator

Impressive battling, just remember to turn off archer fire at will as your men hit, because you'll save yourself some orcs.

The Garrison Script activated for Cair Andros, which was why they got reinforcements, just wait them out and let them rot. You can turn off the Garrison Script, but I don't believe that it is save game compatible, and I'm loving this series anyway!

Now....East Osgiliath. Normally I would say that you should fight to the bitter end and then send a huge army to rebesiege it. However...there is a Nazgul in there. You do not want to lose Nazgul. But keeping an army just outside Osgiliath should mean that you'll get reinforcements and can back up your troops.

Also, the Gondorian soldiers broke so quickly because the Witch King was there. He has high Dread, which scares the enemies and when you activate your ability...Well, lets just say I'm surprised more people don't use the Witch King. Also, executing prisoners will increase dread, and since Chivalry is for Gondorian scum, execute prisoners, unless you need the cash. Also, the Witch King officially became unbeatable this part. He just got three Hp from Retinue and he has three Silver Experience Chevrons. You've just got yourself a great General.

And pray that Harad attacks Gondor, hopefully drawing stacks off of you. Good Luck, and keep the economy rolling.
    Last edited by Lortano; September 23, 2012 at 07:03 AM.

Thanks, I have actually already filmed four and five, I take both Cair Andros and west Osliagath (that was a bloody one), I will probably try and consolidate now until when I get the Orcs as you explained earlier

Senator

Oh, I almost forgot, when you take Gondorian settlements, build shrine of Melkor, they'll boost your culture, meaning you can actually recruit troops.

Oh, I almost forgot, when you take Gondorian settlements, build shrine of Melkor, they'll boost your culture, meaning you can actually recruit troops.
    What he said!

More videos please!

There you go, part four

I had filmed both four and five before I saw the comments but I shall defo take them on board

Senator

200 orcs for 900 men? In a siege battle? With f-ing Gondor spearmen? And the Witch King broke them instantly...My god...

Anyway, excellent work so far, but I warn you, do not attack the Elves from Dol Guldor. The armies of Gondor may have excellent infantry but you can flank infantry, the Elves have archers, and are fast. They'll just shoot your units to pieces atm.

Also, just a word of advice on building queues. At Castles such as Cair Andros and Minas Morgul, focus on military buildings unless you have mines that you can queue. In towns such as E.Osgiliath, focus on economy, especially as you take W.Osgiliath next time. As W.Osgiliath is a fortress and a frontline fortress at that, build military buildings.

Oh, and one last thing. Retrain your units. Don't leave a unit of seventeen orc bands in E.Osgiliath, retrain them, it saves you from having to recruit more, saving you a few hundred in upkeep.

Oh and you couldn't possibly mention by name a certain handsome advice giver and The Norseman in one of your videos. Just a thought.

Here we go last part for a few days as im away for the weekend!

I shall defo give you guys a mention next time im recording! Ill try and take everything your telling me on board but I have a memory of a civ sometimes!

Senator

Don't be too hard on yourself in that Osgiliath battle, you were in narrow strets, where Gondor will be suited to fighting, against several strong units.

And you killed Faramir, which is a huge blow to Gondor, because they just lost a great commander with Ithilien Rangers as a bodyguard unit. Also, now you've practically taken all of the Ithilien regions, they can't recruit any more of them...at least by normal means.

Also, I would recommend not building up to high a barracks at the Black Gate now, because you now have two new castles/fortresses (Cair Andros and W.Osgiliath) to buld barracks in, although you should build the next barracks there anyway to get the powerful Morannon Guard Unit.

And as you said a few posts ago, consolidate your position, retrain, and make sure to kill that damn general Forlong, because he has defied you twice now and escaped with his life. End him...and with it, Gondor's last chance of victory.

Of course, if you decide to assault Minas Tirith, hope Boromir defends the gate, so you can pehaps do a funny voiceover..'One does not simply walk into Minas Tirith?'

On the one hand, thanks to Osgiliath and Cair Andros being Grassland, replenishment in there will be 75% of normal when the Barracks are built. On the other hand, having some recruitment there is better than nothing. Orcish off-type penalty goes 100/75/50 rather than 100/50/33 that other races get. Of course, this disregards having to build up your culture there to recruit.

Sorry its been so long! New part is now up! Shout up has been done for you chaps

Senator

Goal in Life: Get shouted out on youtube complete!

Actually you did rather well in that battle with Gondor, although the reason that Forlong escaped was because you ended the battle before you actually killed him. Although he probably would've escaped anyway. Make it a personal point to kill Forlong because he has escaped thrice now from you.

Anyway, with the issue of Denethor besieging Cair Andros, I recommend fighting to the death with your defenders when he attacks, all while building up a force outside of the city, then when he takes the settlement besiege him back and starve him out.

Also, I'd suggest consolidating your position at the moment, because Gondor can not send forth that many units any more, those stacked armies you were attacked by probably were spawned from Gondor losing a Key Settlement (West Osgiliath in this case.) So you can imagine what will happen if you take Minas Tirith...Massive spawn appears and kills you.

Still, very good indeed, and you're vocie is still as great as ever.

Part 7 is up! Hopefully next time I will finally kill Forlong!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast