Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Preview] Units

Caligula Caesar's Avatar Horse Lord

Default [Preview] Units

My marathon effort to make unit cards left me with a nice big group of cutout screenshots to post on the forum Most of these units have been worked on by me in some way, though usually it was something along the lines of mixing something from one unit with something from another, or changing colours, or perhaps adding a new shield. The original units are from RTR, AqD's mod, and RSII, and BoomS made the elephants and chariots

Armenian Cataphracts

Armenian Heavy Infantry

Attalid Toxotai

Bactrian War Elephant

Bactrian Phalangites

Bactrian Agema

Bactrian Hetairoi

Bactrian Peltasts

Bactrian Xystophoroi

Bosporan Heavy Infantry

Getic Late Swordsmen

Greek (Minifaction) Hippeis

Greek (Minifaction) Peltasts

Greek (Minifaction) Phalangite

Hellenistic War Elephant

Horoli Cavalry (Caucasian Iberians)

Kushite Spearmen

Roman Leves + Revolutionary Unit

Egyptian Machimoi Phalangite

Mauryan Heavy Chariot

Mauryan Elephant

Mauryan Armoured Elephant

Median Cavalry

Median Infantry

Parthian Cataphract

Parthian Horse Archer

Parthian Skirmisher

Persian Phalangite

Persian Skirmisher (I brightened this somewhat for the unit cards)

Pontic Hetairoi

Pontic Ekdromoi Hoplitai

Pontic Phalangite

Pontic Thureophoroi

Ptolemaic Hetairoi

Ptolemaic Toxotai

Ptolemaic Peltasts

Ptolemaic Thorakitai

Ptolemaic Xystophoroi

Seleucid General

Seleucid Hetairoi

Seleucid Ekdromoi

Seleucid Hypaspist

Seleucid Thureophoroi

Syrian Armoured Elephant

Syrian Infantry

Steppe General

RTR-VII Team Leader and Leader of Fortuna Orbis, an RTR Submod

"History has only one concern and aim, and that is the useful; which again has one single source, and that is truth." -Lucian of Samosata

Fortuna Orbis Beta is released!

Default Re: [Preview] Units

Awesome units. The hetairoi are always my preferable unit. Keep up the good work!!!

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Mirionis9 View Post
    Awesome units. The hetairoi are always my preferable unit. Keep up the good work!!!
    It is released go campaign

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Amazing job CC. I like especialy the Hetairoi in all their versions
    Btw. are not four archers just too much for poor armoured elephant?

With all that heavy armour, not to mention a tower on top, what are a few more kilograms?

"History has only one concern and aim, and that is the useful; which again has one single source, and that is truth." -Lucian of Samosata

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Too too too too beautiful!!!!

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

Great units

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

amazing!

Why the crew of the Syrian Armoured Elephant have been changed since the War Elephants preview? I like the RTRPE armoured crew much more.

Btw. I relly love how you made skins of some Ptolemaic/Seleucid/Bactrian (most notably hetairoi) units darker like their greek/macedon counterparts

From which mod are the cataphract model you are using? It is totaly unfamiar to me.
    Last edited by demagogos nicator; January 26, 2013 at 02:07 PM.

Yeah, I tried to reflect their geography with their skin colours. I've often seen pale skin colours (a la the Brits) where they would soon become very very red without sun tan cream! In fact, I even saw that in a screenshot of Carthaginians in R2TW and had to laugh

With the cataphracts, if you mean the horse, it's RSII, whilst the soldier is from AqD's mod.

Point taken about the Syrian elephant, I think those were put up as a placeholder. In any case, I'll put up some Syrian Archers.

Also, I noticed that things are a bit crowded in the tower on the Syrian, and decided to cut it down to three and move them around a bit (some had their arms and legs sticking through the wall). That led me to look at the other elephants, and I noticed that the archer on the African elephant was bugged (he was standing inside the elephant!) and fixed that. I also tweaked the normal towered elephant so the soldiers stand one in front of the other instead of one behind.

With the cataphracts, if you mean the horse, it's RSII, whilst the soldier is from AqD's mod.
    I have ment the soldier. They look quite good but must say original RTR 6 eastern cataphracts are in my opinion still best looking catas I have ever seen in any RTW mod despite the lower resolution (same go for their heavy Sarmatians).

Also, I noticed that things are a bit crowded in the tower on the Syrian, and decided to cut it down to three and move them around a bit (some had their arms and legs sticking through the wall). That led me to look at the other elephants, and I noticed that the archer on the African elephant was bugged (he was standing inside the elephant!) and fixed that. I also tweaked the normal towered elephant so the soldiers stand one in front of the other instead of one behind.
    Great job! I appreciete how much care and effort is dedicated in this mod to the elephants and other things that are in other mods set aside as unimportat details.

Btw. Pontic phalangite with the scale armour is amazing

Thanks

Actually now that I think of it, I actually have three cataphract models. One is the cataphract soldiers were made for RTR7 but never used, and now filling the space of the normal Steppe, Armenian and Parthian cataphracts. It is the one you can see in the pictures above. Then there is an RSII one, which is used for another (elite) Armenian cat, and a Caucasian Iberian cat. The AqD one is actually only used for Sarmatia (the general unit I think, but not the general shown above, who is the individual rather than the unit).

If you're wondering where the patch that I promised is, the need to correct some bugs slowed me down, so as a consequence I still have a couple of elephants and a chariot unit to balance from the eastern Greeks

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I shall be waiting... patiently

No need to hury, well balanced mod is a good mod

Do not want to nit-picking to much and also do not have enough knoweladge on this matter but did really Sarmatians used metal horse-armour in this timeframe, Would not be the horsearmour of organic materials more accurate?

Btw. Any chance you know why the new Ekdromoi Hoplitai units which were made for RTR VII wear sandals while original RTR7 unit which is now AoR Ekdormoi Hoplitai in VII and your Ekdromoi units do have boots?

I honestly have no idea. I assume it is attested in sources, but I can't remember having read anything specific - except for something absurd (probably in Herodotus) about Massagetae using gold instead of iron for everything because there was a lot of gold and no iron in their lands!

On your second point, I don't know either. I'm pretty sure that hasn't been changed since I have been at RTR, so to hazard a guess, maybe the original artist made two versions and the one with sandals got lost? (Models getting lost happened between the planned RTR7 and the RTR-VII franchise...)

On your second point, I don't know either. I'm pretty sure that hasn't been changed since I have been at RTR, so to hazard a guess, maybe the original artist made two versions and the one with sandals got lost? (Models getting lost happened between the planned RTR7 and the RTR-VII franchise...)
    I think you did not get my point right. The unit is still there as it was. However, when somebody (you or Tony) was making faction specific skins for roman ekdromoi, he gave the sandals to the new units while the old one was left in game as AoR with boots. All I wanted to ask is whether there was any historical reason in giving the sandals to the new units instead of boots. Anyway, sorry for this pointles and offtopic discusion

I'm not sure I get why there would be a historical reason for or against sandals

IIRC, I have read something about boots in some EB description. It was something like that they stated to replace sandals in the Greek armies in the helenistic period due to Thracian influence on Macedonians and Macedonian influence on Greeks. So I thought that there may be some connection with those Ekdromoi units..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast