Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: [Heiinn Ver] General Discussion

dahooscarl's Avatar Miles
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: [Heiinn Ver] General Discussion

Hey all. Heathen invited me along for the ride with you guys when I proposed a dark ages mod, and I'm sad to say was unaware of the great work you guys have already done. A couple of ideas I'd like to propose if I may be so bold. (Also, not sure if anyone here is aware, but viking is the feminine article. The masculine is vikingr. Just thought I'd share since i just learned that yesterday.)

1. While I understand that europe was the epicenter of the dark ages, personally, i wouldn't want to skimp on representing eastern factions. (also is there a list of the proposed factions? I didn't see one...)

2.I would highly recommend including RR/RC in the mod. It makes the combat much more enjoyable.

3. As for those factions that don't get represented in the mod, I think having an AOR system in place and some unique mercenaries and local units available will help balance things out. So while there may not be a finnish faction, there could be finnish raiders to be hired as mercenaries or finnish archers as a local levy.

I'll post more ideas as I come up with them.

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by dahooscarl View Post
    Hey all. Heathen invited me along for the ride with you guys when I proposed a dark ages mod, and I'm sad to say was unaware of the great work you guys have already done. A couple of ideas I'd like to propose if I may be so bold. (Also, not sure if anyone here is aware, but viking is the feminine article. The masculine is vikingr. Just thought I'd share since i just learned that yesterday.)

1. While I understand that europe was the epicenter of the dark ages, personally, i wouldn't want to skimp on representing eastern factions. (also is there a list of the proposed factions? I didn't see one...)

2.I would highly recommend including RR/RC in the mod. It makes the combat much more enjoyable.

3. As for those factions that don't get represented in the mod, I think having an AOR system in place and some unique mercenaries and local units available will help balance things out. So while there may not be a finnish faction, there could be finnish raiders to be hired as mercenaries or finnish archers as a local levy.

I'll post more ideas as I come up with them.
    It depends what you mean by Eastern factions.... we have the Emirate of Cordoba and Sicilian Emirate. There is a full list of factions in the introduction and FAQ

2. There will be an RR/RC system although it will be REAL historical recruitment.

3. That is already in plan

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiinn Ver: Total War

Docm30's Avatar Ikko-Ikki
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by dahooscarl View Post
    ...not sure if anyone here is aware, but viking is the feminine article. The masculine is vikingr. Just thought I'd share since i just learned that yesterday.
    There is no feminine form of the word 'vkingr', as in a person who is a pirate, freebooter or viking, even when it's in reference to a female. The word 'vking', as in the act of piracy or a viking expedition, is a feminine word, though. The gender of words in Old Norse has very little to do with sex.

If you want to use the correct forms of the word 'vkingr' (person, not act) here's a quick guide:

Nominative: Vkingr, plural Vkingar.
    Accusative: Vking, plural Vkinga
    Dative: Vkingi, plural Vkingum
    Genitive: Vkings, plural Vkinga

The definite forms (The Viking is definite in English. Old Norse uses a suffix instead of a word like 'the', though) are:

Nominative: Vkingrinn plural Vkingarnir.
    Accusative: Vkinginn, plural Vkingana
    Dative: Vkinginum, plural Vkingunum
    Genitive: Vkingsins, plural Vkinganna

There's your quick guide on the declension of 1st type masculine nouns in Old Norse. If that looks complicated, be glad you've never had to conjugate verbs in Old Norse. Those are hell.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Docm30 View Post
    There is no feminine form of the word 'vkingr', as in a person who is a pirate, freebooter or viking, even when it's in reference to a female. The word 'vking', as in the act of piracy or a viking expedition, is a feminine word, though. The gender of words in Old Norse has very little to do with sex.

If you want to use the correct forms of the word 'vkingr' (person, not act) here's a quick guide:

The definite forms (The Viking is definite in English. Old Norse uses a suffix instead of a word like 'the', though) are:

There's your quick guide on the declension of 1st type masculine nouns in Old Norse. If that looks complicated, be glad you've never had to conjugate verbs in Old Norse. Those are hell.
    Gods! I see now the differences between the continental Germanic languages and the Northern variants. Curious... I know German (as a second language) and am fairly confident in conjugating the verbs, however that looks beyond complicated!

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiinn Ver: Total War

druzhina345's Avatar Princeps
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Icon3 Re: [Heiinn Ver] General Discussion

All the ancient Indo-European languages used inflexion (like the suffixes shown). When the Anglo-Saxons and the Danes in England tried to communicate with each other - they invented a system of prepositions e.g to, from, by, for, and it became English.

In most languages that have 2 or 3 genders for words, the gender is for the word not the person to which it is applied. English does not have this, it only has genders for people/animals (and ships) which makes it simpler (at least in that regard).

druzhina345
    Illustrations of Soldiers

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by druzhina345 View Post
    All the ancient Indo-European languages used inflexion (like the suffixes shown). When the Anglo-Saxons and the Danes in England tried to communicate with each other - they invented a system of prepositions e.g to, from, by, for, and it became English.

In most languages that have 2 or 3 genders for words, the gender is for the word not the person to which it is applied. English does not have this, it only has genders for people/animals (and ships) which makes it simpler (at least in that regard).

druzhina345
    Illustrations of Soldiers
    That makes perfect sense... You are a well learned individual

On another note, how do you guys like my shield patterns?

Last edited by Heathen Storm; March 25, 2013 at 02:12 PM.

demagogos nicator's Avatar Princeps Posterior
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

The shield patterns look great

dahooscarl's Avatar Miles
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Not according to wikipedia. And of course if it's on wiki, then it's gotta be true.

Also the shields look awesome!

Docm30's Avatar Ikko-Ikki
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Wikipedia says, as I said, that the noun that refers to a free-booting expedition is feminine, but the word that refers to a person who goes on such an expedition (what we call a Viking) is masculine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Storm View Post
    Gods! I see now the differences between the continental Germanic languages and the Northern variants. Curious... I know German (as a second language) and am fairly confident in conjugating the verbs, however that looks beyond complicated!
    Here's a simple, but utterly terrifying guide to the conjugation of verbs in Old Norse: Behold!

It's not quite as intimidating as it appears at first, but it's still a real pain to learn.

Rockin' shields, by the way.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Wikipedia says, as I said, that the noun that refers to a free-booting expedition is feminine, but the word that refers to a person who goes on such an expedition (what we call a Viking) is masculine.

Here's a simple, but utterly terrifying guide to the conjugation of verbs in Old Norse: Behold!

It's not quite as intimidating as it appears at first, but it's still a real pain to learn.

Rockin' shields, by the way.
    Damn that is terrifying. :O

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Icon1 [Heiinn Ver] General Discussion

x
    Last edited by druzhina345; April 11, 2013 at 12:17 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Last edited by druzhina345; April 11, 2013 at 12:32 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread Information