Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: [Heišinn Vešr] General Discussion

Merula's Avatar Pili

Default Re: [Heišinn Vešr] General Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Meelis13 View Post
    In any case, while i do think it would be great faction, i also am starting to feel, like focus of the mod starts to shift way too much west- i mean british isles are having tons of factions already. for that reason, i'd like to see at least one more viking faction
    but that said, i still like the idea, so i wont be disappointed in any case
    Well it kinda is a western-centric mod to be honest, the Vikings mostly raided the British isles and northern Europe, so i think it is a good thing that we have most of the factions in the west.

In my opinion the only reason we have the rest of the map is 1. to make it different from all other mods (the first REAL dark age Europe mod) and 2. So my glorious Danish raiders can sail to Constantinople and sack the city of the worlds desire haha

Silesian_Noble's Avatar Pili Prior

Quote Originally Posted by BLIP99 View Post
    In my opinion the only reason we have the rest of the map is 1. to make it different from all other mods (the first REAL dark age Europe mod) and 2. So my glorious Danish raiders can sail to Constantinople and sack the city of the worlds desire haha
    I don't think it was Danish vikings who besieged Constantinople. The Varyags that settled in Rus land and attacked Constantinople were of Swedish origin.

Merula's Avatar Pili

Quote Originally Posted by Silesian_Noble View Post
    I don't think it was Danish vikings who besieged Constantinople. The Varyags that settled in Rus land and attacked Constantinople were of Swedish origin.
    Uh.... Yes I know the swedes were the ones to attack Constantinople, if you read my post carefully though you would note i said MY danes, as in i want to play the danes and sack Constantinople

druzhina345's Avatar Hastatas Posterior

Icon3 Heišinn Vešr - 'Caedmon manuscript', c.1000

An Anglo-Saxon drawing from the 'Caedmon manuscript', c.1000

Eber and his men drive cattle and found a city & a large image

druzhina345
    Illustrations of Soldiers
    Last edited by druzhina345; April 22, 2013 at 09:30 PM.

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Default Re: Heišinn Vešr - 'Caedmon manuscript', c.1000

Quote Originally Posted by druzhina345 View Post
    An Anglo-Saxon drawing from the 'Caedmon manuscript', c.1000

Eber and his men drive cattle and found a city & a large image

druzhina345
    Nice picture, thank you +rep

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heišinn Vešr: Total War

Icon3 [Heišinn Vešr] General Discussion - Byzantium/East Romans

A Byzantine Casket, early 11th Century

A Byzantine Casket, 11th-12th Centuries

Skylitzes (Scylitzes) Chronicle, Made in Byzantine Italy in the 11th-12th Centuries

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

druzhina345
    Last edited by druzhina345; October 07, 2013 at 09:29 PM.

Wonderful pictures again my friend can you find any from Lombard Italy? If so that would be wonderful

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heišinn Vešr: Total War

Icon3 Re: [Heišinn Vešr] General Discussion

Last edited by druzhina345; April 22, 2013 at 10:10 PM.

demagogos nicator's Avatar Princeps Posterior

Hello guys, how is your great work going? Looking forward to see more of this mod?

Quote Originally Posted by demagogos nicator View Post
    Hello guys, how is your great work going? Looking forward to see more of this mod?
    Hey mate - work is going sort of slow. I have a preview just about ready to post and was waiting on our 2D artist but unfortunately he has not been active lately so once I am back home I will post the New preview.

Wonderful! thank you kind sir

Docm30's Avatar Ikko-Ikki

I was browsing the hosted mods forum and found this. It seems interesting, though I don't know if it's still being worked on.

There's just one thing; as a speaker of Old Norse I have to take exception to the title. 'Vešr' means 'Weather' or 'Wind', or even 'Wether' (as in a castrated sheep), but we'll assume that's not what you meant. I checked all three Old Norse dictionaries I have and none listed 'Vešr' as meaning 'Storm' in either West or East dialects, or even in Gutnish. The correct translation of 'Storm' is 'Stormr'. 'Hriš' is exceptable, but usually only used in compound words.

Anyway, good luck with the mod. I've always had an interest in vķkingarnir ok heišnir menn.

Quote Originally Posted by Docm30 View Post
    I was browsing the hosted mods forum and found this. It seems interesting, though I don't know if it's still being worked on.

There's just one thing; as a speaker of Old Norse I have to take exception to the title. 'Vešr' means 'Weather' or 'Wind', or even 'Wether' (as in a castrated sheep), but we'll assume that's not what you meant. I checked all three Old Norse dictionaries I have and none listed 'Vešr' as meaning 'Storm' in either West or East dialects, or even in Gutnish. The correct translation of 'Storm' is 'Stormr'. 'Hriš' is exceptable, but usually only used in compound words.

Anyway, good luck with the mod. I've always had an interest in vķkingarnir ok heišnir menn.
    Hello mate! The mod is, in fact, still being worked on. I am working on finishing a preview so hopefully soon there will be one.

Hmm, strange... The University of York Old Norse dictionary (clicky) says that Hriš or Vešr both translate to storm... Although "heathen wind" kind of sounds cool

Docm30's Avatar Ikko-Ikki

Hmm. I've heard English speakers use Weather to mean Storm, so it's not inconceivable that speakers of Old Norse may have done the same, but I can't say I've ever read it. Very curious that that dictionary doesn't contain the word 'Stormr' considering it's so closely related to the English word (both being derived from the Proto-German 'Sturmaz') and is the most common word for 'Storm' in the Sagas.

Quote Originally Posted by Docm30 View Post
    Hmm. I've heard English speakers use Weather to mean Storm, so it's not inconceivable that speakers of Old Norse may have done the same, but I can't say I've ever read it. Very curious that that dictionary doesn't contain the word 'Stormr' considering it's so closely related to the English word (both being derived from the Proto-German 'Sturmaz') and is the most common word for 'Storm' in the Sagas.
    Very curious indeed

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information