Thread: My first shogun2 campaing + random comments

Default My first shogun2 campaing + random comments

Hello fellow total war gamers,

I don't post much but I wanted to share my experience as the Shimazu on Hard in S2.

First let me say that I love how this game plays compared to other total war games that I've played. I've played hundreds of hours each on rome and med 1 and med 2 and I've skipped empire and napoleon for now due to most of the complaints ive read about them. But this game feels so polished compared to previous total war titles. I hope they take a similar direction with rome 2. And Ive been debating whether to get napoleon or empire after I play fots.

For my Shimazu campaign which is currently in the year 1570 with territorial expansion reaching the entirety of the Chosokabe Island (that's what Ill call it lol) and up to recently conquered Higo and Bungo on my own Island.

Fearing an invasion from the shoni early in the game or even worse a sagara-shoni alliance. I felt obligated to ally with the Sagara. The Sagara have done quite well for themselves in my campaign defeating the Mori and taking some provinces in the western part of mainland japan. So I had no other choice but to invade Chosokabe Island and with the protection that the sagara offered me as they took care of all the northern clans I was able to build an invincible fleet of nanban trade ships that helped me blockade every single chosokabe port. And once my two full stacks reached the Island they were basically at my merci. A big difference in this game is that the naval aspect really makes waging war a necessity to finish it as swiftly as possible. Draging on an endless back and forth with your enemy will stall your clans progress and devastate your economy.

Once I took chosokabe Island and built my fortifications I took my army to the Sagara and broke my alliance with them as a necessity to reach the victory conditions. Just for a little bit of role playing I threatened them to end their trade relations with the Hattori or else and they refused. So I quickly blockaded their ports and have just recently conquered Bungo and Higo.

I still havent hit Realm Divide but my nanban fleet should be able to contain it. I have 10 years and 15 provinces to take to reach victory conditions on my short campaign so my strategy will be to blitz my way to kyoto although I don't think Ill make it on time.
    Last edited by sabi; September 15, 2012 at 02:38 PM.

eXistenZ's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: My first shogun2 campaing + random comments

how heavy realm divides affects you depends on the difficulty level and the preparations you have taken (like creating a nbig treasury to cope for the loss of trade),although on short there is offcours way less time.

But its good to hear you're enjoying it. Empire was indeed quite bad AI-wise. Napoleon was actually quite fun and vry decetly polished. if you would ever find it at a discount, i would urge you to give it a try.

Another good tip: Rise of the Samurai is a dlc for Shogun 2 that adds an entirly new campaign for a very cheap price. It makes uses of things like allegiances instead of religion, leading to some interesting gameplay

The Useless Member's Avatar Primicerius

I just modded-our relam divide.

I calculated, and it would take for you to conquer all of Japan about 5 times for it to kick in.

Also in my first campaign. Also Shimazu. Well my second I chickened out on hard when I was still stuck on two provinces. Sagarra turned their back on me. I had good trade income but I suppose that is nothing to rely on.
    Shoni was aggressive on my first campaign so this time it was obvious I was going to war with them after taking Iko. Sagarra again no help at all and they where quickly surrounded by me. I went east after taking the Island since Ouchi so conveniently was allied with Shoni. I havenīt gotten any resistance about the sea really so far. I had just researched fire arrows when I got some resistance.
    Sagarra again turned on me for no reason.

I expanded up to Kyoto. Tried ally with the Shogunate since I suppose there is no reason to destroy the shogunate early on. Have 19 of the 40 provinces and about 4-5 full stacked armies when I got that realm divide warning to prepare. 11000 in trade income will that go down to absolute zero or can you still do some foreign trading. Any reason to continue building trade ports? Not sure what to expect from realm divide but maybe a good idea having armies camp in ships lol.

Otherwise I am really disappointed. The combat is a total mess. Impossible to keep formations going with this fast forward pace. And every single larger battle I have entered have one huge small hill and guess who is camping on that hill?
    Taking settlements is booring on normal because they are most often empty so itīs auto resolve just about always.

Combat with the initial yari spearmen and bowmen was extremely booring. I now got samurai and some light cavalry but still it feels like itīs a lot worse then the previous melee total war titles. I never got the idea that japanese had no honour at all and ran on first hit... I can see why the AI like to have three generals in each battle whooping their guys asses so they will fight. I spent 95 % of the time on the strategic side of things. And here itīs nicely streamlined yes. But so far I think this is the Total war title I enjoyed the least. I have no doubt if I go back to medieval now I would see how this would be possible better but really siege battles with those small camps where you have no room to move isnīt anything better then in ETW/NTW and much worse then in previous titles.

Wonder why they didnīt do so you could start with some decent armies at least for these worse then armed citizenry crap. But maybe itīs just the fast forward that make it appear like they route before they start to fight.

As for naval battles again not that interesting so far. Give me my cannons please