The results are hidden 0%
  • Entry #9

• Entry #10

• Entry #11

Thread: Scriptorium Summer Writing Competition Short Fiction Voting Thread

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Scriptorium Summer Writing Competition Short Fiction Voting Thread

Here are the submissions for the short fiction category. Please vote for your favorite one.

Also, bear in mind, anonymity is still required. Authors of any works below may not declare what submission may be theirs, or in any other way ruin the anonymity of theirs or another member's submission. Those found to be doing so here or anywhere else will be rightly and sneakily punished (You were warned when you submitted to this competition that if you screw up you will be publicly flogged and embarrassed). This thread is for discussion of the articles at hand and voting, NOTHING ELSE.

Also please note one or more entries were originally submitted to the Non Fiction category, which did not have enough entries to stand on its own so its entries are instead merged into long and short fiction voting, at the author's permission as well.

A Bridge - Entry #1
    A Bridge A Bridge

“I will build a bridge.”

A cheer swept through the throne room, resounding off every crack and crevice that habited the ancient building. From within the depths of the room a clerk opened a cage of pure white doves that flew out, startling the crowd at first, but then only adding to their jubilation.

The King joined in with the cheers, it had been a gathering of short notice, but he had to deliver the news by then. It had been in planning for years, decades even – and finally a bridge was going to be built across the Roym, the mightiest river in the known world.

The throng of people were then lead into the Hall of Feats, where a lengthy table had been set, with enough seats to allow everyone to join in with the celebrations. The first course of stewed Jape was served, as was customary at royal gatherings, and the guests began to tuck in – filling the hall with a silence, as the Jape eating ritual was performed, before a low buzz of chatter began once again to fill the hall.

The King was sat at the top of the table, on a raised platform, in front of the gold statue of Radizer – the first King of Varos. Next to him sat important officials, family, honoured guests, and course an ambassador from the Land of Snows, who sat quietly amongst the other guests, his ears taking in all the conversation amongst the Guardians.

Several course had past, and by now the Tahte was flowing freely, causing one or two outbreaks, which were quickly settled by the royal guards. Overall the mood was joyful, but the King could not get into such a mindset. It was when the fourth main course, consisting of fried pork and ikahi vegetables was served, the Lord of Bodeming, lands deep in the south approached.

“My King, may I have a word?” He asked, happily taking another sip of the Tahte that was in his hand.

“Of course, Lord Huzar – what say wills you?”

“My King, if I may, this word wills to be said in private.” He replies, gesturing to the end of the hall, which led off to several meeting rooms.

“Why should we, the festivities are here, everything can wait?” The King replies, angry that Hazar would presume the will of what he said.

“Because, my King,” the Lord answers, leaning in so only the King can hear, “it is about what we feared.”

The Kings eyes widened, a slow flush of fear creeping up him, he felt his heart start to beat furiously as he stood up and said, “The way has been willed. Lord Hazar, lead the way.”

A few of the Guardians looked up, but most were too consumed with Tahte to notice, the King just waved their expressions off, before walking off the platform and following the Lord, before anymore of the guest noticed. The King motioned for two of his guards to follow him as he walked back into the depths of the hall.

As he walked, two sets of eyes, from within the other end of the hall followed him. Their white, gleaming eyes glowed in the dark, before they retreated back into their hidden abode, waiting. Just waiting.

Regrets and Beginnings - Entry #2
    Regrets and Beginnings Peace was elusive that fine morning, no matter how hard Raladin had tried to concentrate. It had been like trying to catch smoke with his bare hands. Then again meditation had never been a teaching he had latched onto in the monastery. He found his peace in a very different way.
    The large city around him was just beginning to wake from it slumber, yet the market was nearly to its full life. Fine lacquered pottery and other household goods sprawled from the shops openings. Sweet and strong spices mixing with the aroma of fine meats swirled through the twisting lanes threading through shops with bright colored cloth strung up on bolts to draw a customer's gaze.
    Yet Raladin had no time for such things, that burning in his brain, the need to use, lurking, a monster in the shadows. He could feel it closing in on him, ready for the kill, and Raladin would be lost, thrown like garbage back into his old life. If he succumbed, it would be the last thing he ever did. There would be no escape this time.
    Raladin's hands shook and he could feel the cold sweat on his brow. “Why didn’t the damn meditation work,” he mumbled. He inhaled deeply and felt his bow flex, resisting the small draw, he had quickly left his home and in his haste had slung the bow across his back with the string digging a slanted line from shoulder to hip. Strange as it seemed, his bow was the only constant in the utter turmoil that raged within his mind. Both savior and destroyer, his weapon was the one thing that always brought peace, yet in the next moment painfully reminded him with every hum of release of an arrow of how he had ruined his life, torn apart any security his children had, and betrayed his wife’s trust repeatedly by returning to his vice.
    Raladin quickly unslung his long bow from around his chest. He moved his hands across his bow feeling the names of his wife and two children etched into the wood by his own hand. He owed them his life, even if they hated him. It was a work of art and strengthened with magic that Raladin didn’t fully understand. It was dark brown with runes running over its surface in graceful sometimes disturbing glyphs. Its red leather grip was supple and strong. When he used it he could almost feel it singing in harmony with his own soul. It always brought peace or at least it always made the monster in the shadows weak.
    With the bow in hand he could feel the music, light yet pulling at his heart. Raladin made his way to the performers pavilion in the market; this was the quickest way for him to make money for his family. Though he was famous once he was never prideful enough to think this kind of work was below him.
    Quickly he moved to a stall selling fruit and bought a basket of apples, observing that the yellow straw basket would make great donation collector as he performed. Placing the basket on the ground, he still felt a bit shaky, so he started juggling some of the apples to calm his nerves before he started using a weapon as deadly as his bow.
    Dark red and shiny, the apples blurred around him. As he juggled he thought ruefully of how he must look to the people watching him, dressed in simple monk robes of brown and peach, with a clean shaven head and piercing blue eyes, muscular and thickly build. His deep tan revealed he was not of a bookish order. He had once been considered very handsome, but two terrible scars slashing across both of his cheeks quickly dispelled that impression. They were a small reminder never to cross the underworld of the city. He couldn’t pay his debts, and he was promised that the vengeful act that created the scars were only the first payment that the drug dealer would exact from him and his family.
    Snapping back out of those dark memories, Raladin saw that he was starting to pull a crowd. Not wanting to miss a chance to make money to support his family, he quickly emptied the apples onto the ground and slid the empty basket to the front of where he was performing. Readying his arrows, he picked up his bow and felt the music start to play within him, peace flowing into his mind and his body. He was brilliant and incredibly deadly when that song pulled through his thoughts and blood. Deftly he hooked and apple with his foot and flung it into the air above him, with speed faster than the observers could see he had an arrow notched and ready to fly into the heart of the apple. As the bow released and the arrow flew to its mark, the music exploded within Raladin.

Sweet Dreams - Entry #3
    Sweet Dreams
    Sweet Dreams

With a deep sigh, I sank away, finally feeling the familiar lorica hamata brushing over my tunic. The sun stood high in the sky, driving away the last remains of a cold night. There were lots of birds, high up in the trees of the forest we were walking through, but I couldn’t hear their voices. Actually, I didn’t hear much more than the overwhelming cacophony of sounds usually produced by a legion on the move.

At our left side, a few horsemen passed by in a hurry. One stopped for just a moment at the front of the cohort, saying: ‘Centurion, be ready to deploy in battle formation. We’re closing in on the enemy.’

The battle-hardened veteran nodded, turned around and shouted the order to his men. Around me I could see the stern faces of my comrades, some looking up while making silent promises to the gods. For years, they had been marching through forest and swamp, plagued by both the Gallic summer and the countries’ inhabitants. Caesar had leaded them to victory, time after time, and they trusted that he would do so again.

One of these barbarian chieftains had managed to unite all tribes who had not been brought under Roman rule up to this moment. Now, Caesar had spotted the unordered mass which they referred to as their army. He had chosen to fight them at his time, at his place. I felt safe, knowing that my general would not send us forth without a good chance of winning the battle.

When we reached the outskirts of the forest, the army halted. Officers on horseback drove off and on, shouting orders at the centurions to deploy the army into its battle formation. The marching columns started to wheel around, and soon we were ready to engage the enemy. I couldn’t see them yet, but felt the tension building up. I turned my head towards the man next to me. I looked into his eyes, which seemed to serve as a mirror showing me my own emotions. Then, Caesar himself came driving towards us! I immediately jumped to attention, listening to his words:

‘Milites! In this war, we have fought many a battle together. I know that I can depend on all of you, the finest soldiers Rome has seen since the founding of the city. Today, we face these barbarians again, no match for a Roman legion! You know that I have always been reluctant to shed the blood of my brave soldiers. I would rather die than deprive the Republic of one of her armies. Go forth, slay these dogs and this war will come to a glorious end!’

As he spoke, a warm feeling spread through my body. I felt light in my head, and heard myself and my comrades scream: ‘Hail, Caesar!’

Trumpets sounded, and the army began to move. When we crossed the hills which had lain before us, I could finally see the enemy with my own eyes. Large, hairy men with wild beards and strange figures painted on their shields. The sight of them still frightened me, although they had proven to be no match for an experienced Roman legion many times already. A loud roar went up from the valley as the Gauls started taunting, uttering battle cries to frighten us and cheer up their comrades. We didn’t react, though. Stoically, I marched there in my little part of the battle line, ready for my general’s order to go forth and kill.

There, the enemy rushed forward! Our lines came to a halt, and I quickly raised my pilum. When the centurions shouted the order ‘Pila iace!’ the air was darkened as death rained down on our foes. For a moment, their advance was halted, but then they stormed on. There wasn’t any formation or order to be seen, just a crazy mass of half-naked men storming towards us.

I unsheathed my sword and bent my knee to stand ready for the impact. Uttering frantic roars, the first barbarians crashed into our cohort. I felt the cold sweat forming on my skin, my knees faltering as I waited for the enemy who would attack me.

Just in time, I jumped away as a sharp sword rushed towards me. I didn’t give the Gallic nobleman a chance to recover, but swiftly stabbed my gladius into his belly. Immediately, he dropped his weapon, blood dripping through his fingers as he pushed them against the wound. With one final blow, my blade sliced across his throat and he fell down on the ground. Panting, I rested for a moment. In the heat of battle, my fear had been forgotten. There was just me and the enemy, life and death depending on a single move or decision.

There, another one attempted to cut a friend of mine to pieces. I ran towards the big warrior, shouting at him while doing so. Surprised, he turned around, giving me the opportunity to cut his hand off. It fell on the ground, still holding his axe. Marcus smiled at me, shouting: ‘Watch, the cavalry!’

I turned around to see a truly majestic sight. There rode Caesar, at the head of his cavalry. Screams of fear went up as the barbarians started to run away to avoid being trampled under the thundering mass which was now assailing them. More and more of them started wavering, routing before him, oblivious to the rest of the world. Once more, our leader had won a glorious victory. This was to be the end of the Gallic wars, once and for all!

Sweating, with the words ‘for Rome!’ on my lips, I turned around. For a moment I didn’t knew where I was, but then I realized that this had all been just another sweet dream. Smiling, I jumped out of my bed. After all, there isn’t a better way to spend a night than being part of my beloved history!

A Midnight Meeting - Entry #4
    A Midnight Meeting

The air was particularly thick that night. Only the French soldiers frolicked. But not we. No.

“Quiet!” Someone whispered harshly.

A Frenchman entered the tent, drunk, oblivious to the world.
    “Guten Abend,” he said with a heavy French accent. His condition only intensified what was already difficult to understand. Perhaps another time it would have made us laugh, but not that night, for they were our enemies. We all slightly bowed our heads, as is proper, and responded in discordant, somber unison, “bonsoir,” upon which the French infantryman exclaimed: “Despite your manifold quarrels and divisions, you German-speaking people have one thing in common: sérieux.” And thus he exited, almost stumbling over his own feet.

Little did he know the impact of his words, reverberating in the depths of our hearts. Thus were fueled the flames that were already burning hot, with which the bloody steel is formed, the steel which is to forge the German Volk. Thus was erased the final modicum of doubt haunting many of my men, the placid, creeping feeling that claims your cause misplaced.

One man, seizing the occasion, spirits visibly in favor, reached into his pocket, only to reveal a soot-stained note, which someone apparently had copied down himself. He spoke:

“If you’ll permit, dear Landesbrüder, that I here read to you this note I had received some time ago by my beloved brother, who came across it on his travel to Berlin. ‘Tis by a certain Herr Fichte, an intellectual of sorts, but nonetheless infused my spirits with vitality. He thus states:

‘Those who speak the same language are joined to each other by a multitude of invisible bonds by nature herself, long before any human art begins; they understand each other and have the power of continuing to make themselves understood more and more clearly; they belong together and are by nature one and an inseparable whole.’”

There was silence, a nodding of heads, and a general atmosphere of affirmation.

But doubt remained entrenched within me. Surely I am different. How can one equate my “Landescharakter” with the narrow-mindedness of a Prussian, the hubris of a Bavarian, or the senseless chatter of a Hamburgian? What is this thing they call a German nation? Is there an essence to it? And if so, why does it only now emerge? Perhaps I should satisfy myself with the Shakespearian phrase: “What’s in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.” Am I not what I am? An “immobile pole in the occurrence of flight?” Why find some secret essence? Why call it something else?

All my life I’ve been a Saxon, now to be told I’m not, but belong to a higher generality? To this I must retort that no man has ever deemed himself more than the horizons visible to him. And thus I have been Saxon, not German, not Austrian, not French. Now, however, the horizons have been stretched, stretched far beyond their former boundaries, owing to the efforts of “L’Empereur.” And with the morrow, if victorious, they shall be stretched yet further. Hence, indeed, ‘tis the steel which is to forge the German Volk. Oh, forge we will tomorrow, oh how we will forge when the Saxon regiment shall turn and fire into the ranks of its unsuspecting allies. Is it not ironic, that only by the artificial can the natural emerge?

The Devil's Duelist - Entry #5

The Devil's Duellist

May 1816.

The gun powder stained the chest of his unwashed, ivory skirt was perhaps more telling than my tightly compressed lips about the silence the duellist could demand and as none of us broke.
    A high forehead framed by brown curls crowned keen eyes. It was only his voice that was heard ever so often in the little room, the same words I had heard three eves in a row now.
    “It has a heavy barrel, smooth bored, a spur on the trigger guard to let the middle finger rest, platinum-fed trigger and home-made bullets. Well molded, weight about thirteen grams, well balanced stopping power to incapacitate, though not necessarily kill.”
    I sat quietly, more so than youngsters are even expected, at the table next to the duellist while his words were lined up like chain links in front of me. Even if the voice was low it contained no doubt, in his memory it seemed to be a painting where all details lived on no matter the fate of the objects. That ability had stunned me more than once already.

Old Runge was the third and last in the company. Doctor, he was keen on the title, Runge sat on the opposite side of the table, with me on the side, but seemed to not listen, as out of habit. Or rather as if the big ears behind the grey whiskers heard everything but decided to ignore the world around, unless it was for the open fire where fresh firewood crackled.
    A bottle of lukewarm herbal liqueur in front of him was emptied in good pace.
    The duellist cleaned his heavy army pistol over the table by the light.
    This was not the slender duelling pistol he spoke about, that specially commissioned weapon which belonged to a baron von Mauthausen, Runge had explained in passing.
    “It has a heavy barrel, smooth bored, a spur on the trigger guard to let the middle finger rest, platinum-fed trigger and home-made bullets. Well molded, weight about thirteen grams, well balanced stopping power to incapacitate, though not necessarily kill.”
    On my bench the black coat of the duellist with watered down red facing and yellow buttons lay. The black color had surprised and disturbed me when I met them and got hired, it is a color formal, of priests, or burials. Doktor Runge, who himself wore decent grey and brown, had simply dismissed me as extremely childish and ignorant of the Schwarze Jäger.

I stared at the box in which the army pistol was stored during the days. 'The coffin' Runge had called it when he thought nobody heard.
    The cover was graced with two Madonnas, of which one was Our Lady and the other the Roman goddess of war, Duellona.
    'The coffin' had gear to mold bullets and was outfitted for two pistols, but only contained the one that right now was polished by the large, smooth hands of the duellist. The pipe cleaner was unsullied, as the nights before, but he would not stop work with it. It worried me, so I turned my head but the doctor stared back at me. If the dimples and the small, dark, wet eyes that stuck up above the edge of the glasses burned of the liqueur or pure malice, I could not tell.
    “...Well molded, weight about thirteen grams, well balanced stopping power to incapacitate, though not necessarily kill.”

The duellist orderly tested the hammer. In my mind I could picture the duelling pistol of baron von Mauthausen by now with its heavy barrel, not rifled and the bullets that would eat into me. A faceless ghost aiming at me from the shadows, I try to run but can not get away, the bang of the pistol, it flash behind my eyes. The baron, or was it the duellist himself?
    I shook my head. The duellist still polished and talked about a platinum-fed trigger while Runge stared at me like a laughing wolf and made me swallow hard. They nailed me where I sat, one by his glare, the other by his utter uninterest in my existence.
    “How do you know it do not kill?”
    My sudden and unstoppable question broke the silence like cannon fire, and I regretted it at once. Rune jerked and tried to look away from us both, like if my voice was a leper.
    The duellist continued cleaning, did not pay me any heed and after a minute or two I could not help but ask again:
    “How do you know it do not kill?”
    His brown eyes darted at me, obligingly they met mine. He said:
    “Tested.”
    It was the first time I understood why Runge was so damn frightened.
    Last edited by Hader; September 14, 2012 at 01:51 PM.

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Scriptorium Summer Writing Competition Short Fiction Voting Thread

A Love Letter - Entry #6
    A Love Letter
    You were my first love though I never told you enough. I can still taste your lips and feel their soft caress, the smell of your hair and how you felt when I held you close, breathing your scent in deep. I can smell you now, and maybe it was just a simple perfume it seemed to have been made for you; Even now the faintest trace of your perfume in the air will bring a smile and warm memories flooding back.

As I think back on those years long gone, of what might have been wrapped up in what could have been, a snatched kiss, a loving embrace, laughing at stupid jokes and longing looks. We met oh so stupidly, my clumsiness in falling over your bag and telling you to not be so bloody stupid. I have never understood why you did not just slap me and tell me to watch where I put my feet, but you just laughed at me. Such a wonderful sound, like the soft drip of spring rain heralding the land coming to life, mirroring my own emotions as you broke the ice and harsh frosts I had protected myself with for all those miserable years. A soft and light laugh and then you said “or you could just buy me another coffee instead of yelling at me”, and then you laughed again and melted my heart.

In the years before we met, I would have just put some money down, mumbled the briefest, barest apology and left you there. I would have stewed afterwards with bitter thoughts at the injustice that was always besetting me. I do not know what fate or destiny broke through that ridiculous armour I wore back then, but instead of a usual rude put-down I sat down and laughed with you, “you’re right of course, I’m clumsy and you’re out of coffee, would you like another?” How unlike me that was, yet with one smile and one laugh you vanquished the miserable boor I had been just brief seconds before, and left him behind forever after.

I would have walked through all the fires of Hell from that moment if you had asked for a whisker from Lucifers beard, from that moment on I was lost with you. I had known other women of course, and I thought I had been in love with them, but it was only ever infatuation, lust or just plain convenience. Meeting you was love, it was not heart stopping, no freight train ran me over, no gasping for breath, but after we had finished coffee I knew, and I nearly left only stopped by you laughing at me again “if you want to call me again, you’re going to need my phone number” – what on earth did you see in me then that made you want to ever want to speak to me again?

I would have called before I got to the corner, I so wanted to speak to you again and maybe that was the first sign that I should have realised it was love. But love is not just the good moments, the laughs and hugs, the kisses and waking up next to each other. Love just plain hurts, love is when you argue about nothing and everything, when you feel physically sick at seeing each other in pain and missing every moment away from each other. I knew I was going to call again, perhaps 10 minutes later might have been less time than is fashionable, but it made you laugh when I called and asked to see you again.

From a spilt coffee, to dinner, a movie, a play and going out with my friends and your friends and before long it was our friends and we only ever got invited as a couple. I remember every moment of that first night we slept together, the long lingering kiss that started on the sofa and ended up in my bedroom. Maybe it was because we were far from teenagers, no terrible fumbling, and clacking of teeth, we just seemed to fit together and know what was arousing and what was not that it lingers so vividly.

Well that was then and so many years have passed us by, I thought it would last forever; You were my first love, my love, but I guess I just was not your true love, and while you loved me for a while it was never as I had loved you although I tried to blind myself that you did. I was heart-broken when you left and thought that nothing would assuage the despair I felt, and then I raged at your memory – you know I even found my old armour and wore that for a while – but I guess you broke it and it never felt right afterwards - now it has thankfully gone for good. Thank you for that.

Maybe it is a form of grief, but now I just recall with delight all our time together instead of picking at scabs to make them bleed. I am married now to a woman who loves me back as deeply as I love her, but whenever I smell the motes of your perfume in the air I think of you and smile and look around to see it if was you who passed by. I am not sure what I would say – something stupid again probably, so in case we ever meet, at least I know I was able to tell you how I felt in a letter. At the very least, I am sure I would buy you a coffee without being asked.

An extract from the diary of Louis XVI - Entry #7
    An extract from the diary of Louis XVI An extract from the diary of Louis XVI
    Oh the glorious splendour of at all, the delicious grandeur that comes from inflicting an epic defeat upon your enemies.

I had striven all year long to gather enough support to create a crushing cataclysmic defeat upon my opponents’ heads, and now it would happen.

I do not consider myself a vengeful man, nor do I have a vindictive spirit, but these men, these revolutionaries of the people, these fiends in human form, they have caused so much misery to occur to the people of my realm, that I had at last been driven from my usually ambivalent and placid nature, to the very heights of feverish activity and frenzied ambition to destroy their power base of like-minded followers.

It has taken time, it has taken effort, but above all it has taken my heart, I have shown more humanity than a King should have to show; I have had to buy the loyalty of my own subjects with my very being, those whose fealty should be a given; have had to be won over by the king crawling low and abasing himself, so they could see a mere mortal and not a crowned head of Europe.

But who am I to question the sometimes base motives of lesser men?

Yes I am a King, anointed by the hand of the Pope and appointed by God as the protector and head of my people, but still who am I?

Have I the right to lead my people away from the direction that has been chosen by these men for them? Am I anymore entitled to lead my people in another direction than proposed by these men of the people, just because I am enthroned and have a bejewelled bauble on my regal head?

The answer to all of these questions is yes, I have the right because I am King. It is by the divine right of Kings that I rule, and no mere mortal, no plebeian, no politician has the right to tell me no, and refuse me the honour and duty of leading my people into an age of prosperity and ever lasting glory.

Be damned all politicians I say, they will do as I wish or perish, the rights of man are noting to me, the rights of a King are all that concern me.

So my plans are almost complete I will flee to Montmedy, and there I will raise my banner and call all loyal Frenchmen to serve their King, this revolution will fail and the foul creatures that pollute the fine air of Paris will breathe no more.

The House of Bourbon will be restored and I will see an end to this foolishness that had gripped this nation of mine. I am sure that soon my enemies both foreign and domestic will be seen for what they are!

My faithful and true subjects will awaken from this revolutionary fervour that has gripped them….and they will proclaim Vive Le Roi! Once more….

The Reckless Anavutians - Entry #8
    The Reckless Anavutians
    The Reckless Anavutians
    Anavutian Independence War (1765)

“Adjutant, tell the battalion to halt.” Lieutenant Colonel Erebus said. Col. Erebus was the commanding officer of the First Battalion of the 42nd Grocan Profallus Grenadier Guard, in other words Erebus was in command of a line battalion, but he and his battalion were not on a march to a camp or a battlefield, they were on a battlefield. In fact, they had just been fighting in the Battle of Kawa, which would be the first Anavutian victory in the Anavutian Independence War. As the name of his regiment suggests, his battalion did not belong to the Anavutian force, rather it belonged to the Anavutian’s allies: the Grocan 7th Brigade.

As ordered, Erebus’ adjutant shouted the order for the battalion to halt; after the battalion halted the adjutant came back to Erebus. The adjutant found Erebus looking through a telescope across a stream, where the enemy line of battle was. The adjutant looked across to see what Erebus was staring at. On the other side of the stream, the enemy, the Noobean Kawan garrison and its Anavutian allies were fleeing, but not all of them. The adjutant looked back at his commanding officer, who was wearing the purple burgundy coat with yellow facings that was typical of a Grocan officer, though the purple burgundy was the color that all Grocan soldiers wore. Suddenly, Erebus put away his telescope and looked at his adjutant and said, “Karsalos, this is very irritating.”

“What irritates you, sir?” Karsalos, the adjutant, inquired.

“This battle is over. Yet our Anavutian Monarchist allies seem to think differently. Instead of following our example, they charge across the stream straight into the fleeing Noobean battalions and those battalions that are not even considering fleeing.” Erebus said angrily.

Karsalos was confused by Erebus’ anger. “I…don’t see the problem.” he said hesitantly.

“The damned Anavutians do not know that they are heading into the field of fire of fresh Noobean battalions. We had light casualties because the enemy headed into our gauntlet. If that gauntlet had not been prepared, their melee battalions would have closed the distance and our Anavutian allies would have suffered two or perhaps three times the amount of casualties they suffered at the gauntlet.” Erebus fumed. Karsalos was having difficulty stifling a chuckle; Erebus’ face was becoming as red as a cherry. “It disappoints me to say that three Grocan line battalions are in the charge, but I cannot blame them. Reckless chases are something only an amateur commander would do, but when everyone around you is doing so it is hard to hold back.” He continued. At this point, Erebus was calming down but was still a bit tense.

“Karsalos, I have always respected these Anavutians, first and foremost they are our cousins and are fighting for the right to determine their own future as a people. However, I cannot stress enough that I do not respect them as warriors,” Erebus paused, catching his breath. Karsalos gave Erebus an inquisitive look.

“Well Noobea seems to think that they are excellent warriors, sir.” Karsalos added.

“What do you mean?” Erebus asked.

“Well for the past century they have been using them as skirmishers. I can certainly testify to their prowess as marksmen. The war a few years ago, one of their balls grazed me on the cheek.” Karsalos said touching his cheek where he had been grazed.

“Karsalos, your praise for them as excellent marksmen is well founded, but your praise for them as warriors is without any basis.” Erebus said calmly. “A warrior can hold his own not only on the firing line, but in melee combat as well. The Anavutians almost won the Battle of Mosyllon, but they threw it away when they charged the Noobean lines. Evidence has shown that the Anavutians cannot hold their own in melee.” He continued, raising his voice.

In the distance, the echo of musketry could be heard. The sound was faint, but Erebus and his men could hear it. Erebus turned towards the direction of the sound, “The fools.” he mumbled. Across the battlefield, he saw billows of smoke rising from where the sound of musketry came from, however there was no gap between the side that had fired and the side that had been charging. Despite not using his telescope, Erebus could clearly tell that the charging Anavutians and Grocans had engaged the remaining Noobean forces in melee. He sighed.

“It pains me to see men’s lives thrown away so recklessly. Before this battle is truly over, I fear that over one and a half thousand bodies will litter that field, at least half of them our own allies and comrades.” Erebus sighed again, this time hanging his head. After a few moments he said, “I hope the First Brigade at Anavutlar enjoys a much more pleasant battle than we have.”

“Sir!” a man said. Erebus turned around to face the man; the man was dressed somewhat similar to Erebus but lacked many of the adornments that were draped on Erebus’ coat. “I have the casualty report.”

“Go on.” Erebus said.

“During the fight the battalion sustained twelve casualties. Four are dead, the rest are wounded. The dead are…” Erebus stopped him midsentence by raising his hand.

“Lieutenant Darbini, I do not need all of the details right now. As you can plainly hear, the battle is not yet over.” Erebus said as he looked back to where the sounds of battle were coming from. “However, you do have my permission to gather men to evacuate the wounded.” The man bowed and walked away. Erebus could hear the man giving orders to evacuate wounded guardsmen. After the sounds of Darbini giving orders had died out, Erebus looked at his adjutant and said with a smile, “Well it seems the Battle of Kawa is finally over. Where do you think we shall go to next, Karsalos?”

“Victory?” Karsalos asked. Erebus laughed loudly. In the distance, the Battle of Kawa reached its end.

The Only Smile - Entry #9
    The Only Smile The great, grinning, blood-drenched teeth that were mountain peaks illuminated by the dying sun rose above the ever darkening valley, now filling itself with the cooler shades of the penumbra. The day was at an end as all the others before it. It was now the coming of a different time as colour was being taken from the world. The once bright poppies were now but black upon the grey of the not golden fields. The last bit of pigmentation now straggled hastily after the fading light in the east. There, there was the last bastion of the day, the sinking orb in the horizon; the great blaze in the west. Its orange glow shrunk bit by bit, unheeding defiantly of its impending doom. Henry saw this, his face splattered crimson as the mountains, and smiled, it was quite a thing to behold. The hills and trees now blackened themselves against the tangerine sky, it was an image of stark and pure contrast, of two worlds colliding at a single point.

Henry smiled not only at this but because the day that now ended was one of happiness. He had accomplished a lot. He enjoyed this joyfulness, he enjoyed being able to be happy, there was no worry in his mind, no pain. The voices told him no more, they were silent. He had silenced them. But it had not always been so good, just like the encroaching night behind Henry, his past had been one of trouble, of no joy; a time when he never smiled.

Maybe it was the live style, maybe he was never fit for the farm life. That’s what his parents thought. They were never smiled. In fact, none of his family ever smiled back then. As if they simply didn’t know how. Everyone who approached henry was either very worried, sad or angry. They all had this predisposition to him a, as if he had not closed the stable door and let the sheep escape. They looked at him with no joy or happiness and with little love. The only times someone would come close to him was when an old mustached man came to the house and pressed a cold icy metal against his skin. Henry did not like that man, he liked no one. So he spent his days helping his father on the fields in grim silence, waiting for something he never knew of or thought he wanted: a smile.

His house was such a world of unhappiness that it never truly happened till a few days before. He was taking an errand in the town, a grey and boring town where all the people were as serious as his family. In this town, though, he saw this one lady, she was a bit old and looked as though from a different part, she was a clear outsider among the grey kind. This was further marked by the wide smile on her face, a kind smile, one of sentiment. She looked at Henry and he at her For what seemed like decades he contemplated that visage, that feeling of emotion that he so lacked at this early age. His lips quivered, resisted and let go, flourishing into a smile. The lady kept on looking, there was a twinkle of familiarity in her eyes, as if she knew him in some way or form, but as hard as the boy tried he did not know who she was. He tried to move, to say something; to react, but before he could do anything she had already gone. Henry had been standing there, mystified, for quite some time, as if the lady had captured him in a trance. He did not know how long it had been, or when she had left, he tried in vain to find her in the dreary crowd, and, at loss, gave up.

Yet, he was not truly beaten. Feeling his face in a panic he checked to see if it was still there, yes, he still smiled. And he continued to smile, forgetting about all his errands, he walked all the way home smiling. But when he reached the farm, and saw the familiar stern expression, he doubted and his smile flickered. All what was won was then was lost, and Henry was again in his persistent misery. All now he wished for was to be able to experience that smile again, that everybody could be as happy as he was in that moment and so free the world from the dark sadness of the unsmiling. Thus Henry thought and thought to find a way to make them smile, to make them all smile.

It took him some time with of failure to reach the present point, but it was worth it. Henry looked back upon his family behind him. Their grinning expressions looked back with glassy eyes. There stood Pa, Ma, Sister and Aunt Betty in a row, rigid with his happiness. Oh how glorious it was for Henry, here, in the beauty of a finishing day, how he could stare off into the distance with his family, smiling in happiness forever.

The Mind's Storm - Entry #10
    The Mind's Storm
    The Mind's Storm

Alexander found himself in a cold sweat when he woke from his slumber. The nightmare that had found him during the night was one that shook him to the core. But he had no time to contemplate what it had meant, for the great battles horns had begun to sound and the cries of the camp preparing for battle were growing louder. Alexander quickly got up and ran over to his armaments; a brightly polished breastplate given to him by his father, a short sword that had killed a dozen men and served his uncle well in the wars against the barbarians, and a large round shield that bore homage to the gods of Olympus. Alexander strapped these on swiftly and silently, but paused when he reached for his helmet. The blue plumage was frayed just slightly, and a crack could be seen on the right check guard. This helmet had been worn by his grandfather, who died killing a king somewhere in Persia. Ever since his family had been known as kingslayers, and yet every man who had gone off to war had died on the battlefield. It was truly an honor, family friends had said, to die honoring Ares. But Alexander did not wish to die on the battlefield, and that was why he was afraid. Looking at the helmet finally allowed Alexander to admit is fear to himself.

He was terrified of battle. The cries of dying men, the weeping women who would find brothers, husbands, and sons without life, the blood and gore that would litter what once were farmlands. There was nothing good about war, and he was the only man in Greece who felt that way, or at least he thought that was true. Today he was supposed to walk out of his tent, representing a family of kingslayers, and ride into battle trampling all in his path. That was what his father had commanded him to do as he lay dying on the fields of Thrace, when he was a young man serving in the supply train. But he did not have the mental fortitude that defined his bloodline. And yet, as he lowered the battle scarred helmet onto his head, he felt as if all the men that had come before him were guiding him, reminding him that honor could still be his, if only he seized the opportunity.

Alexander's walk from his tent to his horse was blurry in his mind, his thoughts still racing. As he prepared his horse with all the trappings of war, he at last recalled his dream from that night. He had stood here, performing the exact same task, but when he had finished he had mounted his steed and began to ride south, away from the encampment. Away from the battle; away from honor. He was a deserter, a traitor, not worthy of the spit aimed at his face as he rode through the empty streets of his ancestral city. But was this pain, the pain of betrayal of what he supposedly stood for, worse than dying on the battlefield? Alexander returned to reality and saw that his task had been completed; he now only had to make a choice. His body numb, he slowly climbed upon the beast, took hold of a spear, and headed towards the rest of the cavalry.

The general, because of his reputation, placed Alexander in the front of his section. From atop his mount he could see the massive horde of half-clothed demon men in the distance, chanting and calling to their foreign gods. Alexander could see their lack of spears in the section facing him, and as he and his fellow cavalrymen began to move forward he realized to his horror that the general planned on ending the fight in one swift movement, using the power and grace of a swift cavalry charge to overwhelm the barbarians. The walk soon became a trot, the trot a canter, and the canter a gallop. There were only moments left before his horse collided with the front lines of the snarling, bearded mass in front of him. And for the first time in Alexander's life, he stopped thinking. He lowered his spear, closed his eyes, and prayed that the gods would not look down upon him. Despite every fiber of his being telling him not to, he had obeyed his father, his ancestors, and the gods. It was all that could be asked of him. He only hoped that was enough.

-Originally NON FICTION entry-
    Sham Democracy - Entry #11
    Sham Democracy Sham Democracy

During the 20th century voting became available to everyone. Both men and women, rich and poor, black and white had the ability to use our one and only vote to elect someone in our name for the parliament. And that's directly the biggest problem I got with today's democracy. We vote for people, not for ideas. After the election we, the voters, can only hope that the people they vote for hold their oat and do what they have promised in their election.
    What's going wrong?

Central in this failure is the period of 4 years between each election. Elected people and parties come in contact with problems in these four years which could not been imagined from before. From an financial crisis to the housing bubble or 9/11. All things that need a change in the plans that were made before the elections. The plans were people voted for. We can't blame politicians for sudden changes in their plans after unexpected events. We can hold them responsible however for not changing the political system and keep it corrupt and unsustainable as they do now.

European problems.

Another problem, especially in European states is the number of parties. Different from America there are more parties than you can count on one hand. This creates a fragmented political landscape where parties constantly have to compromise to get the majority of votes. voters who do not realize that compromises have to be made in order to gain power, feel betrayed when parties fail to meet their promises for the elections. Compromises are indispensable in politics. Therefore we must, as the Jewish philosopher Avishai Margalit writes in 'Ideals and Second Bests', judge politicians on their compromises and not their ideals.'' Ideals maybe tell us something important over who we want to be, compromises however tells us who we are''.

Direct democracy the solution?

The solution sounds simple. Take the politicians away between the people and the solutions and we have a democracy where the minority of the population decides what happens in a country. A democracy modeled to the Greek city state model of Athens from 2500 years ago. Critics say that this isn't possible and untenable because today decisions can have a greater impact. Additionally they say that in ancient times it goes about a small group of voters, while today it goes on tens of millions of voters. Proponents oppose this and say it's easy to arrange. This because of the advent of the Internet. '' if we can pay cash on the internet, we can also arrange our elections using the Internet''. The question however is if we should want a direct democracy. The English philosopher John Stuart Mill warned in his 19th century book on'' liberty'' before the Tyranny of the Majority. the majority, it appears briefly in elections is easy to manipulate by populist singletons. Examples enough. Hitler through Fair Elections has come to power, the Argentine Juan Perón to the Dutch politician Geert Wilders.

Problem with referendums

The problem with referendums is that people don't like to make hard decisions. People never going to vote for higher taxes. In America this problem was clearly visible in the state California were people were able to chose anybody, from the local police chef to the mayor. One of the reasons of America's huge debt is that conception of American citizens who think there should become more money available for public purposes but in the same time think there should not be higher taxes.

Solutions?

The question is if there is an form of democracy available where all these problems won't happen. The simple answer is that there is none. And as long as we keep this form of democracy the system is unlikely to change. The last century politics changed their opinion about human rights. Yet, the people, the voters did not change. They make democracy what the Austrian professor Hans Herman Hoppe describes as ''two wolves and a sheep who decide what they are going to eat at dinner''. That's democracy, nothing more nothing less. In democracy the ignorant majority makes decisions for the minority. And the minority can't do anything against that.

Entries 1 and 4 were good reads

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Voted, I enjoyed 8 and 10 although they were all excellent.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

Voted. Good luck to all!

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

voted

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Voted
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Boustrophedon's Avatar Grote Smurf
    Citizen

I have gone and voted!

Voted

|Of, the esteemed House: DE BODEMLOZE|

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

VOTED

Rex Anglorvm's Avatar Wrinkly Wordsmith

Voted

Voted.

Pompeius Magnus's Avatar primus inter pares

Voted.