Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: RTRPE II (1.1 Patch Released!)

Default Re: RTRPE II (A continuation of the Classic RTR mod) v0.1 released!

It's been a few days, but they have been very productive days. RS2 environments, DTW's Wooden Walls, and the new map have all been implemented! I am currently tweaking the map to my liking, I should be able to give a preview as soon as Maraxus finishes the UI's for Carthage's citizen units. It will include the units, and screen shots of the new map, DTW's walls and RS2 environments. It will also include banners for each faction (except the 3 new ones) for you all to add to your signatures if you want.

Sorry if this has already been asked but, will Baktria have units added to it?

Every faction will more than likely have a new look to it

Sweet, while I liked the Pezhetaroi the rest of its roster was rather dull.

Finally, another preview!

Carthage's Civic Troops

Civic Militia (Early), Civic Militia (Late), Marines, Sacred Band, Civic Cavalry, Sacred Band Cavalry

I have procrastinated with the map, which means that the preview for it will have to wait for a few more days. Very tedious and boring work. BUT I will not be that lazy and the Balkans (where I am at now in the map) are the toughest area to fix. Should be smooth work after I sort out the mess.

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I like them a lot, especially the Peltast's shield. If I am to propose sth, the shield of the Sacred Band, I would like it more colourful and with a beautiful-strange-unique motive on it, coz' of the "eliteness" of Sacred Band

Faravid's Avatar Libertus

Looks pretty good to me.
    I would agree with Stath's that Sacred Band shield could use some more color though.

Well based off my research, the Sacred Band's shields were notoriously white because they were considered "pure". That is the reason they are so white.

Faravid's Avatar Libertus

Alrighty then.

Mr.Gorby's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by ahowl11 View Post
    Well based off my research, the Sacred Band's shields were notoriously white because they were considered "pure". That is the reason they are so white.
    White, right. But the size of shields is better to do more as a big shield greeks hoplon.

It needs to be as big as a greek hoplon? Did they fight as hoplites or phalangites then? I have heard that they could have fought either way

It needs to be as big as a greek hoplon? Did they fight as hoplites or phalangites then? I have heard that they could have fought either way
    I think that they did not fight as phalangites. It is an elite band of soldiers temple of Baal. Most likely they fought as elite soldiers of the Greeks hippaspists example. White Shield goplon as in RTRVII. As an alternative information.

Such a unit was in Carthage.

Sacred band Carthage was an elite military unit, created to protect the Republic. Unlike most of the Carthaginian military units, they were formed entirely of Carthaginian citizens as opposed to most of the Carthaginian army, which numbered mercenaries, in fact, they were the only parts of the Carthaginian armies, who were forbidden to join the mercenaries. They were dedicated to Baal, and were listed as heavy infantry. Skill and experience of these soldiers were so high that, despite their small number, Polybius described it: "A bright emblem of Carthage on the battlefield was more master of the situation, one hundred thousand men"

These soldiers were considered sacred because of the oath which they swore when they were accepted into the ranks of the group. Their weapons were the weapons of the temple, and each soldier carried weapons with honor. Sacred Order was easily recognizable on the battlefield, as They wore white clothes, the color of death in the Carthage community.
    Specifically, they wore white linen shell, with images of the sun, apparently a symbol of the Holy band, with carry-over into the red on the shoulder folding clasp. It was more like a Macedonian Star (Star Agread). Tunic was yellow. Pterygium had red bars on the main land. Shell also had a red belt and red stripes on the sides. Holy Warriors band also wore large hoplite shield, painted red.

Tactically, the Holy Order has been trained to take part in the melee, using their shields and spears, as in the classic phalanx. Their forces were often used for disciplinary action. They are often placed in the forefront of the infantry, to only one of their kind could throw a scare on the enemy.

Detachment disappeared during the First Punic War.

("Armies & Enemies of the Macedonian & Punic Wars" Duncan Head)

Awesome, thanks. I will tell Maraxus and we will edit them

dimnjacar's Avatar Civis

Nice

Finally, another preview!

Carthage's Civic Troops

Civic Militia (Early), Civic Militia (Late), Marines, Sacred Band, Civic Cavalry, Sacred Band Cavalry

I think nothing Civic Militia (Late) gave vanilla helmet. Helmet in the Civic Militia (Early) very good and atmosphere. Maybe .. Better to leave Civic Militia (Late) helmet Civic Militia (Early) too?

What about a helmet like this one?

Hello

May you upload to another server? Gamefront seems permanently gone for italian surfers (and many others in the world) and I do not want to install a hide ip program just to download something...

Thanks

What about a helmet like this one?
    No no, it's not a good helmet, but ...Although an interesting modification CATW. Need more history. Militia soldiers were not rich. Helmets by type montefortino were common in this region, and mercenaries of the Celts, and ordinary militia. Civic Militia (Early) helmet
    http://www.romancoins.info/montefortino1JhBC.jpg
    http://www.warriors-russia.ru/Vystav...o-buggenum.jpg
    Last edited by Mr.Gorby; December 26, 2012 at 09:12 AM.

Sacred Band of Carthage - Sources range from 2000-3000 as their number. It is noted however in at least one if not two battles that 2500 stood on the field of battle. They were of the wealthiest and noblest of families. It was the only military force allowed within the walls of Carthage itself. Though they wore iron breast plates and carried spears with iron tips and wore bronze helmets, their outfit was decorated in gold and silver trim. They wore rings on their fingers which were a matter of honor. One ring was rewarded for each campaign they served upon. It is a unit in which only native Carthagenians can serve. They also likely had a small force of Sacred Band horsemen.

Carthagenians also often served in its non mercenary cavalry next most on land. Infantry of native Carthagenians was rare. Mostly the native Carthagenians served in the navy.

You might consider using Militia naval Infantry for Carthage and light small units of militia cavalry. I would dare suggest that if you keep some sort of regular militia infantry, that it would only be something you can recruit in Carthage in emergencies. Thus, a large unit, unskilled, low but modest armor for its cheapness, expensive (more so than naval troops), high upkeep (intended for emergencies not standing armies), but really fast recruitment times.

If you go with naval militia infantry, they would probably be fairly lightly armored with daggers, throwing spears, or small (Short) spears, and a small shield. Anything much bigger in regards to arms and shields would be too difficult to use on ships.
    Last edited by Cincinatus; January 25, 2013 at 03:52 PM.
    "It is worth while for those who disdain all human things for money, and who suppose that there is no room either for great honor or virtue, except where wealth is found, to listen to his story."
    - Livy 3.26

Foederatus

To the creator of this mod, excellent new map, great new city structure. I am having problem with unit cards, all factions show peasants on descriptions. I reinstalled RTW alex, reinstalled RTRPE2.0, then 4tpy mod, at each interval started campaign and checked units and pictures appear, but after installing v0.1 mod which is must for me; the unit description pictures go to peasants. So I want to try fix this, what changes were made to units?