Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: RTRPE II (1.1 Patch Released!)

Default Re: Request to add on to RTR Platinum v2.0

Been doing some thinking and I just don't know if I should add the Mauryans. I would be using units from RES GESTAE more than likely and I don't know, for some reason I'm not feeling it. I think one good reason to not include them is he fact that they really didn't do anything outside of India. Also there are other options such as The Bosporan Kingdom, Pergamum, or the Galatians. Any ideas?

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Galatians might be a good idea. Or you can check other mini-mods for RTR PE like EXRM and see what they have included.

Try to include factions that is not included in other mods.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Well let's do an evaluation of the factions within the time frame of RTRPE:

1. Rome
    2. Carthage
    3. Antigonids
    4. Ptolemies
    5. Seleucids
    6. Parthia
    7. Pontus
    8. Armenia
    9. Britons
    10. Gauls
    11. Germans
    12. Iberians
    13. Dacians
    14. Sarmatians
    15. Numidians
    16. Illyrians
    17. Pergamum
    18. Epirus
    20. Bosporans
    21. Scythians
    22. Thracians
    23. Mauryans
    24. Nabataeans
    25. Saba
    26. Celt-Iberians
    27. Achaeans
    28. Aetolians
    29. Sparta
    30. Syracuse
    31. Athens
    32. Rhodes
    33. Kush
    34. Bactrians
    35. Sarmatians
    36. Saka

I'm not naming off any others, there is obviously a lot of tribal confederations that can be listed as well.

The obvious factions to include would be,

1. Rome
    2. Carthage
    3. Antigonids
    4. Ptolemies
    5. Seleucids

Then you need your barbarians

6. Gauls
    7. Germans
    8. Britons
    9. Iberians
    10. Sarmatians
    11. Dacians

Now the Eastern Kingdoms

12. Parthia
    13. Pontus
    14. Armenia

This leaves open six spots for any of the above factions not listed yet..

15. Epirus - There are other ways to simulate Pyrrhus and Epirus by using the Greeks and Rebels, but Pyrrhus never controlled Sparta, Rhodes, Athens, and Syracuse at the same time and he definitely was not a Rebel. I feel as if he needs his own army with his own Kingdom.

16. Illyrians - They are already in the game and have a decent roster, plus they are challenging and they are unique. RTRPE is the only mod to really include them, why take them away?

17. Numidians - Same as Illyrians, plus Carthage does not need to just steamroll through North Africa, they need some resistance. They are a tough faction to play as and historically they became a force after Carthage's destruction.

18. Greek Cities Faction - It's just needed. It provides buffers throughout the map and they are a super faction in my mind. Sparta, Athens, Rhodes, Syracuse, Massilia and maybe some minor cities need better representation than Rebels.

19. Bactrians - They are already in the game, plus the east would not be very interesting to play in without another faction.

20. Bosporans - Only used in Roma Surrectum. I feel as if the North is boring without another faction giving the Sarmatians company. Plus the Bosporans can end up becoming a very diverse nation with Greek, Scythian, Colchian, Iberian, and Thracian influences around them.

Saba, Mauryans, and Kush don't make the cut because I honestly feel as none of them really had any significance in the other factions' histories, save for the fact that the Mauyrans gave the Seleucids elephants for land but even that was before 280 BC.

Pergamum would have essentially been a replica of Macedon and the Seleucids, Epirus is already a replica of Macedon, Pergamum would be a monotonous faction to really play as.

Celt-Iberians would be interesting but I honestly don't even play as the Iberians ever and I don't believe it would be a very unique faction with RTR since they are there with the newer installments.

Galatians would be tough to make a faction out of, since they would start as a horde, but I have an idea for the Gauls...

Achaeans and Aetolians would be easily represented by Rebels as they were stationary throughout their time.

The Thracians would really congest the Balkans and are too similar to the Dacians and Illyrians to really be unique.

The Nabataeans didn't really become anything until 168 BC and that is too far away to consider them in at 280 BC

So there we have it, essentially the Mauryans will be replaced by the Bosporans. I feel a lot better now, and it seems as if this is the perfect faction list because I had it with previous mod ideas.

Having trouble adding in Pinarius Horses. Not that I can't do it, but it's the fact that RTR has other horse models.. Has anyone added in the Pinarius horses before to RTR?

Also I am trying to find out how I can add in the battlefield landscapes from Diadochi Total War. I have always been fond of them

I have successfully added in the grass and sky features of Diadochi Total War, credits go to RedFox and his great mod. Turns out I didn't need the landscapes, just the grass.

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I would have Pergamon personally it had it's role on world stage. And with Mauryans and Baktria will make a great Arche Seleukia campaign

Well I have Britons, Epirus, and Bosporan Kingdom in already.

I have thought about Pergamum, but to me I feel as if they would have the same roster as the Seleucids, or Macedon. If you make a good enough argument, it might persuade me to add them.

Default Re: Rome Total Realism II (A continuation of the Classic RTR game)

Hey everyone I updated the OP, please check it out!

Default Re: Rome Total Realism II (A continuation of the Classic RTR game)

Why not to split the gauls into two factions instead of putting them all into one?

Default Re: Rome Total Realism II (A continuation of the Classic RTR mod)

I already have a plan for that. I will explain later when I decide to make it public. It will be a unique feature to the mod. As far as the faction list is concerned, it is set. Everything is spaced out evenly in my opinion and each faction will be unique

Primicerius

I tried to go back to RTR Platinum a few weeks ago, but the CTD on turn load [some 20-30 years into the campaign] got me several times [playing as Seleucids, Baktria and Romans] and I stopped trying

Was it RTR 2.0?

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by ahowl11 View Post
    Was it RTR 2.0?
    Yup, RTR 2.0 Platinum. it seems, I cannot get more than 20-30 campaign years without encountering a "next-turn" crash. Then, there's also the annoying bug which forces besieging AI to just sit in the field outside city walls if they have a scorpion in their army stack. The only solution to that seems to fast forward until the timer runs out [unless you have sufficient garrison troops to face the AI in the field; but then you wouldn't allow the siege to take place anyway]. I tried to fix the bug by giving scorpion missiles a small damage to walls, hoping that the AI would waste their ammo and proceed with the attack. Did not work, they're still just sitting in the field.

so, I switched to Europa Barbarorum 1.2. It's a shame. I love EB too (especially what they've done on the strat campaign level), but battles I liked better in RTR.
    Last edited by Slaists; November 01, 2012 at 12:48 PM.

Well I will be getting rid of Scorpions, probably keeping ballistas only.

As for the CTD, I have no clue. Have you talked to LestaT about it?

Primicerius

Well I will be getting rid of Scorpions, probably keeping ballistas only.

Yup, talked to him (in this thread) a while ago. The general thought is: the next turn CTD bug is present and no-one is exactly sure how to get rid of it. It is probably caused by some error in the ancillary/traits file. The proposed solution is to go back several [I tried 10-15] turns and replay them hoping the bug would not occur. Once (playing with Romans) it worked. With other factions, it did not work. Maybe I did not go back for a sufficient number of turns. However, it gets old to replay those turns since the creepy bug tends to return later

In EB, they also have next-turn CTD's but, it seems, they've come up with a system of checks that can be run in that case [i.e., usually, their CTD's are caused either by some rebellious city or by some AI town getting more buildings than the limit allows...]. Maybe, I should try EB's debugging routine on RTR.
    Last edited by Slaists; November 01, 2012 at 02:08 PM.

Please try it and see what you can find. I would hate to have a mod made with an annoying CTD present

Primicerius

Please try it and see what you can find. I would hate to have a mod made with an annoying CTD present
    Here is a link to EB's debug tips thread:

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...ng-around-them

go to: "The game crashes as soon as I end turn / The game crashes during the AI turn." There is a whole debug-guide there.

Thanks!

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

I haven't run RTR for quite sometime now. CA's Assembly Kit for Shogun2 is at fault here.

Don't know when I'm going back to RTR PE. Maybe some time soon, maybe never.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Please go back to it, you have done so much!