Thread: CSA Cadets

Default CSA Cadets

I've been working on skins for confederate cadets from the South Carolina Military Academy (The Citadel) and Virginia Military Institute. I have 3 units:

Battalion of State Cadets(South Carolina)

Represents cadets from The Citadel and The Arsenal who fought primarily in South Carolina.

Citadel Battery

Represents the cadet battery at Ft. Moultrie who fired upon the federal steam ship Star of the West, arguably the first shots of the civil war.

Virginia Military Institute

Represents VMI cadets as depicted in some paintings at the battle of New Market. The mixed uniforms in the painting is perhaps a romantisization, but it adds some variation.

Work in progress:
    Adding new static flags, so that The Citadel and VMI can carry their own colours:

The Citadel's 'Big Red'

VMI Flag (painted differently on each side)

Firing upon Star of the West

VMI at New Market

Default Re: CSA Cadets

very nice my friend

delmat's Avatar Tiro

excellent!! that's what we need..completely unique units with new models that have some variation on the battlefield and don't look almost the same as the existing units
    I love the romanticized touch of the units if it is well done and it adds to gameplay&variety and in this case it's great! you have rep+ from me..I hope we will see some more of your great work

very nice indeed; VMI has an excellent museaum if you're ever in the vicinity - well worth visiting

Looks great,but flags must be smaller as you can see
    ------ An American Civil War Modification for Total War : Shogun 2 ------

Minas Moth's Avatar Senator

@delmat
    I think those aren't the new models... these seem to me as an existing models...

@pappagoat
    I forgot to mention that you will need permission if you are using the old models (probably from danova or primergy) but you should best check with the shokh first.

also, I don't know if that is just me, but your units look a little "purple"... I don't know if that was intended or not but I just wanted to point that out...

other than that, nice work,

+rep

Ok will seek permissions before releasing. Eventually, when I have more time and software lined up, I'd like to model some units for this.

They are a bit purple, its not as noticeable in the screen as it sometimes is in game. I've retouched the uniform to correct this a bit. I go the uniform colour and texture from a sample of uniform wool found online. The colour was a bit off, maybe because the picture was taken under artificial light, or in digital transfer or whatever. When I can get back to them I plan to make an image from my old uniforms, in natural light, and use that as the base for future cadet grey texture.

The flags- thats not the cadet mod, thats something to do with another pack file... I thought it was part of ACW to have flags that big??? But I guess not!

Gameplay variations, they're like regular CSA infantry, just less melee, higher reload skill, slightly higher moral, good stamina, and inspires neighbouring units, about 4 turns to recruit etc... and regionally tied to Virginia or the Carolinas.

Minas Moth's Avatar Senator

hm, the best thing to achieve any color would be selecting the desired piece of equipment > layer via copy > desaturate > duplicate layer and apply very bright color at first > use soft light blending mode. after that you can make as many more layers after that to achieve the look you want. that way textures remain intact (for most part) and it is the easiest way to recolor the uniform. the most important step is desaturating the selection. also, if you aim for example the red color, first application is almost white red (somewhere on the middle and to the left of the color selection window), then other layer can get darker etc... I suppose you know about editing colors already but I thought to warn you about this trick in case you haven't come by it...

also, don't worry about the flags. it is not your fault (I guess) if they are "to big"; personally I like them like that although I know that Southerners used relatively smaller and more square shaped flags compared to the Union ones.

cheers...

Strewth, just layer and tweak the saturation, hue and colour balance. Still will redo texture at a later date to get better one from my uniforms.. that will be quite a wait though.

i really like the light greenish look in the secound picture great Job mate

nice work. where or when can i get them?

As a cadet at VMI, it feels awesome to see us featured in the mod!

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus94 View Post
    As a cadet at VMI, it feels awesome to see us featured in the mod!
    You must be proud
    ------ An American Civil War Modification for Total War : Shogun 2 ------

Trig's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by morada454 View Post
    nice work. where or when can i get them?
    When they're added to the game, in 3.5 beta2...

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...013-NEW-UPDATE

click banner for ModDB page and all ACW versions download links

Military academies being such a huge part of 'southern tradition' it seems mad not to, at least those with battle streamers... sigh, even VMI .

Perhaps you could help out and dig around your museum or knowledgeable history proff to find out if the cadets at Newmarket really wore broken uniform as shown in the famous painting, or were in full cadet trousers and shell jacket. What colour was the kepi, and would they of always worn puttees? Also what uniform would the officers leading the cadets of worn, and would any of the cadets had rank / insignia on their shell jackets?
    Last edited by pappagoat; July 24, 2013 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pappagoat View Post
    Military academies being such a huge part of 'southern tradition' it seems mad not to, at least those with battle streamers... sigh, even VMI . Perhaps you could help out and dig around your museum or knowledgeable history proff to find out if the cadets at Newmarket really wore broken uniform as shown in the famous painting, or were in full cadet trousers and shell jacket. What colour was the kepi, and would they of always worn puttees? Also what uniform would the officers leading the cadets of worn, and would any of the cadets had rank / insignia on their shell jackets?

This is all I can find right now:
    There were 257 Cadets at New Market
    10 cadets were killed in the battle, another 57 were wounded. (During the Ratline, all rats must memorize the names of the cadets who died and where they're from)
    About 200 cadets used the Lorenz Rifle at New Market, and the remainder used the 1851 Springfield Musket.
    The uniform of a cadet at New Market:

I know it's not much, but I'll be able to get more information when I go back to VMI in August.

Ah yeah, summer break, I forgot. I found much the same online. The VMI website is pretty good. Let us know if you come across more details when back there.

Where can I get the new update? This looks awesome!