View Poll Results: Which faction should I pick?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • High Elves

1 10.00%
  • Silvan Elves

0 0%
  • Dwarves

2 20.00%
  • Dale

1 10.00%
  • Gondor

1 10.00%
  • Rohan

0 0%
  • Eriador/Arnor

1 10.00%
  • Orcs of the Misty Mountains

1 10.00%
  • Orcs of Gundabad

1 10.00%
  • Isengard

1 10.00%
  • Mordor

0 0%
  • Rhun

1 10.00%
  • Harad

0 0%

Thread: Want to do an AAR

FC Groningen's Avatar Senator

Icon5 Want to do an AAR

Hello everyone;

I'm planning on making an AAR myself, but I'd like to ask all of you which faction(s) you'd deem most interesting and which specific strategy I should follow. I'd like to make 1 exception though; There are plenty of Gondor AAR's available already. I'm also not familiar with ALL factions yet and being asked to play with a certain strategy might force me not to play on vh/vh. So, if you guys wish to see me make a new AAR, please post the suggested faction and if you feel like it, a type of strategy.

My version of the game is 3.2 btw, with Baron Samedi's submod installed. Some of the newer updates are missing, but I don't dare to upgrade or change submod out of fear of running into installation issues, which happened a lot lately. Can't get MOS on 3.2 to work on my pc for example and I fear I'll need to install Medieval 2 with kingdoms and all patches again first to do fix it.

I'll include a poll with all factions, but please note that I'd rather not play as Gondor again.

I'll leave the poll open for at least 48 hours I think, unless I'll get a lot of responses really fast.
    Last edited by FC Groningen; September 12, 2012 at 01:18 PM.

Bowmaster's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Want to do an AAR

High Elves! I like them, and there's not many AAR's of it.
    (yeah, yeah, I'm fin player of TATW 3.2...

In Memoriam: Blackomur89

Save MERP and TATW!

I've only did 1 campaign with them so far, so that would be interesting.

OOG seems like an interesting faction. No one has ever made an AAR for that faction as far as I can tell. good luck on this! I will be paying attention to it!

You should do an interactive AAR, there are too few.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Gandalf View Post
    You should do an interactive AAR, there are too few.
    Interesting idea and I MIGHT throw some interactive events into it, but I might play it "safe" here since this will be my first attempt.

Any "do's and don'ts" when writing an AAR? I'll try to put in plenty, but not too many screenshots in and i'll check for grammar mistakes.

After reading some olders AAR's I notice a lot of roleplaying text which is contrary on what I had in mind the moment I came up with the idea of writing my own AAR. I'm going to try my hand at that as well, but I probably end up adding more elaborations of tactical choices, turn descriptions and general strategies than in most AAR's. I hope you guys don't mind. I've checked one of the guides The Norseman wrote and it might resemble one of his guides in form in the end.

edit: At some point, I could allow the readers to help me make decisions or have them "force" me into a direction they would like to see and act a bit like "the council" each faction has. Without being able to offer penalties and rewards of course.

I thought Baron Samedi's was for 3.1 only.

As for factions I would recommend Rhun if you want an easy game, or play at least VH/H, Eriador if you want something more challanging and crappy early game infantry and High Elves (and to a slightly lesser extent Silvian Elves) if you want to crush armies 2, 3, or 4 times the size of yours without too much effort. I prefer good factions but Rhun is cool...
    Last edited by Steward Denethor II; September 13, 2012 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Quote Originally Posted by Steward Denethor II View Post
    I thought Baron Samedi's was for 3.1 only.

As for factions I would recommend Rhun if you want an easy game, or play at least VH/H, Eriador if you want something more challanging and crappy early game infantry and High Elves (and to a lesser extend Silvian Elves) if you want to crush armies 2, 3, or 4 times the size of yours without too much effort. I prefer good factions but Rhun is cool...
    You are right, I forgot that my version couldn't handle Baron Samedi's submod, but i installed it anyway, which is causing a few issues sometimes. Yet I think I know the crash triggers so if I am able to avoid them, I should be good to go.

I'm very familiar with Rhun as they are my favorite faction to play as so I agree with you. Yet I've done too many campaigns with them lately so I rather save them for a second or third AAR?

Unlike I said earlier, I think I'll start today with the High Elves. All votes are equal so I figured I'll go with "first come, first serve". Also, I've done only 1 campaign with the High Elves which was ages ago.

I'll keep the poll open for my possible second AAR.