Thread: Alexander The Great; a history

Default Alexander The Great; a history

Alexander The Great

Alexander was born in the ancient capital of Macedonia, Pella. His father Philip was the ruler of Macedonia and his mother’s name was Olympias. While Alexander grew up, Philip was conquering the Greek mainland. As Alexander grew he quickly showed his potential at tactics and strategy. When his father Philip III hired Aristotle, Alexander acquired rhetoric and philosophical skills.
    Aristotle also gave Alexander his copy of the Iliad. This book was especially important because Alexander’s mother was supposedly related to Achilles, the hero in the Iliad.
    When Alexander’s father was murdered Alexander was thrust onto the throne at the age of 18. After quickly crushing revolt in upper Macedonia and Southern Greece where he razed to the ground the city of Thebes, Alexander set off to conquer Persia with his veteran army of 35,000 phalangites. At the river Granicus, Alexander crushed an army twice his size leaving only 2,000 Greek mercenaries, which he sold into slavery. Alexander then marched up the Ionian coast capturing all the cities in his in his path.
    Alexander’s next major battle was at the small town of Issus which is near the Nur Mountains. This time though the Persian army was led personally by the King of Persia, Darius III. The Persian army was possibly comprised of over 100,000 men, over 3 times Alexander’s force. Again, Alexander prevailed as he charged straight into the Persian center along with his companion bodyguards and his best infantry. While Alexander fought in the center Darius’ huge flanks attacked Alexander’s flank guards. As Alexander routed the Persian infantry in the center, he turned his attention to his flanks. The Greek mercenaries on the flanks, knowing all to well what happened at Granicus, fled immediately once they saw they were about to be surrounded by Alexander’s best troops.
    With his victory at Issus everything west of the Euphrates River was ripe for the picking. All of the cities surrendered peacefully except Tyre and Gaza, I will go into a bit of detail about Tyre's capture but will refrain from Gaza, on the basis that I do not know to much about Gaza's capture. What was so signifigant about Alexander conquering Tyre, a city on the Phoenician coast. The old city on the mainland had quickly surrendered. The newer city of Tyre was built a fortified island. They foolishly decided not to surrender. Over the space of six months Alexander built an 800 meter causeway along with several of the highest siege towers ever built. Despite the causewaybeing damaged and even destroyed, Alexander persevered until the causeway reached the walls.
    Alexander’s forces fought their way through the gates. As Tyre’s soldiers grew desperate many of them committed suicide by drowning themselves in the sea. Once Alexander took hold of Tyre he slaughtered all of the captured soldiers including the king of Tyre.
    Gaza, after marching down the coast Alexander came to Egypt.

In Egypt, Alexander founded the great city of Alexandria, which rew to be one of the greatest intellectual and trading centers of the world, this city contained the Great Library of Alexandria, one of the largest and ancient libraries in the world. While in Egypt, Alexander visited the Oracle of Siwa at a dessert oasis. The exact questions Alexander asked are unknown though. After leaving Egypt, Alexander marched into Persia until he met Darius and his army once again. Though Alexander had at least 50,000 men Darius had almost five times as many along with fifteen war elephants. Darius’s flanks were more than one mile wider than Alexander’s. Alexander stationed himself and his bodyguard in the middle of his battle line. When the battle started Alexander immediately charged the Persian center along with his best phalanx troops. Darius’ flanks then attacked Alexander’s with forces of cavalry. As Alexander’s troops gained the upper hand in the center, he turned his attention to his flanks. Seeing that his left wing was about to be surrounded Alexander led his companion cavalry and quickly restored the situation. When Darius saw he was about to be defeated he quickly fled, which ended up saving his life. At the end of the battle there were over 54,000 Persians and Greek mercenaries dead at the cost of only a few hundred Macedonians. After the battle Alexander then proceeded to the ancient city of Babylon.
    After leaving Babylon, Alexander proceeded to the royal Persian treasury at Susa. After taking almost 50, 000 talents (Greek money) from the Treasury, Alexander set out to take the Persian summer capital of Persepolis. When Alexander got there, he then proclaimed himself king of Persia. .
    During the occupation of Persepolis ,Alexander’s troops brutally sacked the great city and when he left Alexander put the whole city to the torch while carting of another 125,000 talents.
    After Alexander sacked Persepolis, he heard that the fleeing King Darius was still nearby, so he pursued the king to what is now Afghanistan. After crossing the Great Salt dessert he heard that Darius had been overthrown by his commanders and was near death. When Alexander caught up to him at the village Ab Kore Darius was dead. Over the course of the next five years Alexander founded five cities each bearing his name. In the year of 326 B.C. Alexander finally reached the end of the Persian Empire. Alexander did not stop there, he decided to push into India and the kingdom of Porus.
    In 326 Alexander encountered the Indian army of 30,000 men, 2,000 cavalry, and 300 war elephants led by Rajah Porus. Both armies were camped across from each other at the river Jhelum. Under the cover of night, on May, 21 Alexander assembled a crack force of 5,000 cavalry and 4,000 infantry to cross the river. The boats that were taking them across the river soon got lost due to another channel that their intelligence had failed to warn them about. It was not until daybreak that Alexander’s troops could land. By then Porus had sighted them and sent his son along with 2,000 troops to counter Alexander, but it was too late. The soggy ground slowed the chariots allowing Alexander’s men to over whelm and kill Porus’s son. Porus was now trapped. His outmatched troops fought desperately against the Greeks, their elephants tearing huge chunks out of the phalanx. The Greek archers now turned their attention on the elephants. By shooting at their eyes the archers forced the elephants into charging at their own troops. At the end of the day Alexander had killed over 12,000 Indians, captured 9,000 and killed 80 elephants.
    Alexander continued deeper into India until he reached the river Beas. Alexander was determined to reach the Indian Ocean (or in Greek eyes the end of the world). He probably would have, if his army had not mutinied against him, forcing him to turn back to Persia. Alexander had one more conquest though.
    On the way back Alexander conquered the Mallian, the most powerful country on the Punjab. Their capital was the city of Multan which Alexander laid siege to. During the assault Alexander personally climbed up the first siege ladder and scaled the walls by himself and three guards. The ladder broke before anyone else could come to his aid. On the walls Alexander and his three guards desperately fought off the horde of attackers until Alexander was pierced by an arrow. One of the guards, Peucestas, shielded him with the shield of Achilles from Troy. Outside the walls the rumor that Alexander was dead swept through the ranks as his men used the battering ram as a ladder.

Swept with rage Alexander’s men slaughtered all the populace. Eventually Alexander healed though and his army’s morale soared. Alexander finally arrived at Persepolis in January, 324. By late February, Alexander was at Susa. When Alexander reached Ectabana a grand contest of athletic games took place, but during the games one of Alexander’s close friends and companions, Hisphastion, fell ill and died. Finally on June 10 323 B.C. Alexander died at the age of 32 due to combination of grief and typhoid fever.

A map of Alexander's Travels

Alexander's Empire
    Last edited by scottishranger; July 19, 2006 at 10:24 AM.

Default Re: Alexander The Great; a history

I have no idea why people write such stuff. If you can't write the absolute truth or at least something innovative, don't write at all.

Hellenic Air Force - Death, Destruction and Mayhem!

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos
    I have no idea why people write such stuff. If you can't write the absolute truth or at least something innovative, don't write at all.
    I am sorry, what do you mean by this? I tried to write it as accurately as I possibly could, I wrote this article to educate those who migth not know all that Alexander did in his lifetime, now granted I did leave out quite a bit of stuff, but it is hard to get everything Alexander did in his life while still making it interesting.
    Last edited by scottishranger; July 19, 2006 at 10:30 AM.

"The absolute truth"? Come on, there's no such thing as absolute truth, especially not when it comes to someone who lived for over 2000 years ago. People can't even figure out if Bush actually found any WMD's in Iraq, so how can someone say anything absolutely true about Alexander?

For example I left out all of Alexander's Afgan campaigns, I did so for the reason that first of all, much of this action was Guerilla actions against Alexander, which makes it harder to document for ancient writers and subsqeuntly harder for me to write about. If I was to write about that campaign I would do so without full knowledge of what happened there and so I would not be able to do it justice. I would rather not write about something I do not know to well than write an incomplete and probably unaccurate article about something I do not know.
    Last edited by scottishranger; July 19, 2006 at 10:37 AM.

The murder of Clitus the Black was omitted too but I think that was during the Afgan campaign anyway. A good read Scottishranger.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Indefinitely Banned

Well I think it's a good concise essay on what is a huge topic. If you want more depth go and read Robin Fox Lane or Mary Renault.

Senator

History is a interpretation of the one who reads about it. I mean, everyone is biased. There is no thing like truth. What makes history fun is the speculation, especially with 'what if' scenario's. I mean, the bigger things, like Alexander conquering his empire, did happen and we can speculate further on that. What I'm trying to say is that it's good people write about this stuff so we can discuss. Good read.

Good Article, thank you

imb39's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Patrician Citizen spy of the council

A good synopsis of Alexander. The key points mentioned give an idea of the life he led.

Publius Clodius Pulcher's Avatar Senator

Indeed, it's good, however most people on a Total war board will know at least a good deal about Alexander =X

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

It is a good article... However it is a little bit too short... I think you should break it into several parts and give more details. (Such as, after Alexander defeated Indians in Hydaspes River, he respected the Indian King, Porus' bravety in battle and gave him back his kingdom plus another one.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Spiff's Avatar That's Ffips backwards

Nice article, moved to the Musaeum :original:
    Under the patronage of Tacticalwithdrawal | Patron of Agraes

Spartan JKM's Avatar Semisalis

Good work scottishranger; an intelligent overview.

Alexander's colossal successes would have been impracticable without the military machine left to him from his great father Philip II. It was the world's first standing army, raised by the world's first universal military service. But Philip II's son took his machine and succeeded, perhaps, beyond the Macedonina king's wildest dreams. A brilliantly constructed army is just potential; it is the commander that must lead it to victory, and advantages in troop quality and technology only produce advantages if used effectively. The New Model Army was the most balanced ever constructed - a veritable strong body with two variant punching arms (the cavalry units). Alexander innovated the efficacy of combined arms to a much further degree than his father, and introduced the use of reserves, to a substantial degree (Epaminondas did so with cavalry a little bit), on the battlefield that could take advantage of any unforeseen opportunities or reverses against the front lines. He also was the first great commander to use catapults tactically on the battlefield.

What labels Alexander as a complete genius as a commander (except in the field of naval warfare), is what he achieved before and after his prominent dismantling of the Persian Empire. In the Balkans, he lined catapults hub-to-hub along the bank of the Apsus River to cover the crossing of his withdrawing troops against the attacks upon him by the Illyrian tribes under Cleitus and Glaucius, whom he would then frustrate by a precision of disciplined warfare. He traversed the lands, subduing the Triballians as far north to the Danube. The Illyrians were checked, thus restoring Macedonian prestige before taking Thebes, whose people had taken up arms, in a brillaint forced march. What he did to Thebes was horrible, but an example of no half-measures was strategically necessary. The Phanhellenic alliance, from which Sparta was solitary, against the 'barbarians' was restored, and Athens was treated with eager courtesy.

Six years later in 329 B.C. on the other side of the 'world', in the lands of Bactria and Sogdiana, Alexander effectively used catapults to drive the Scythians from the riverbank on the Jaxartes, conducting a superb amphibious assault against them. He faced and overcame unprecedented conditions of vigorous local nationalism, in which the ruling race was now at home, but wasn't ultimatley deterred in fighting the form of gueriila warfare that stymied all others in these same regions, from Cyrus the Great to the Soviets in 1979. Actually, a force of Alexander's did actually suffer a terrible defeat at the hands of Spitamenes, but he wasn't present.

However, an ugly feeling fostered amongst his men, beginning with his adoption of Persian dress and culture. His attempts to merge Persian culture with his Greeks involved the training of a regiment of Persian boys in the ways of Macedonians. It is not certain whether or not Alexander adopted the Persian royal title of shahanshah ("great king" or "king of kings"). This would not do; plots against his life were formed, and the execution of the implicated Philotas led to the the execution of his father Parmenio, and, as was mentioned by Markas, the murder of Clitus occured in modern Samarkand in 327 B.C. over both being heated and imbibed. An inexorable rift developed between Alexander and his Hellenic followers, and the march back through the Gedrosian Desert may had had punitive considerations for Alexander after his troops refused to go any further east (that is just a guess). It is probably for the best he died when he did; he had delved into a state of half-insaneness after Hephaestion's death, and any further conquests or even major consolidations etc. would not have succeeded, under the existing conditions of his mental health coupled with the disaffection of his core people. What he proposed and believed in, with this infusion of West and East, was a great contribution to history, if judged beyond Alexander's mad ambition for power and vainglorious disposition, which were not his only characteristics; but for the the times and for his fellow Hellenes, including the likes of Aristotle, it was a betrayal to the prerogative of Hellenism.

But on whole, he is definitely one of history's supreme military conquerors, and a good argument for the greatest of all time. For better or worse, with regards to the social conditions of the world he perpetuated upon, he was an incredible man.

As many of you know, it all starts with Diodorus, Rufus, and Arrian. Modern sources, in terms of the military aspect, come from J.F.C. Fuller, with his terrific The Generalship of Alexander the Great, and from one David Lonsdale, with his Alexander the Great: Killer of Men (not the derogatory content the title may suggest). On whole, William Tarn's survey, found mainly in the Cambridge Ancient History Vol VI, and the works of Theodore Dodge, Ulrich Wilcken, Peter Green, and Robin Lane Fox are all outstanding, and all with varying points of view when conjecture is necessary. Any googling etc. will render a searcher no trouble whatsoever finding something on Alexander.

"If anyone has the right to be judged by the standards of his time, and not by the standards of our time, it is Alexander".

-Hermann Bengston

Thnaks, Spartan JKM :original:
    Last edited by Spartan JKM; July 22, 2006 at 11:28 AM.
    "A ship is safe in the harbor; but that's not why ships are built"

Under the patronage of the revered Obi Wan Asterix

Calvin and Osceola, may you both henceforth remain in everlasting tranquility

Yes nice work scottishranger. Maybe its not perfect like Spartan JKM threads (or not so biiiig ), but it is very nice anyway .

Thank you both of you for those knd words, especially Spartan JKM for his nice addition to it.

Boztorgai_Khan's Avatar Domesticus

was Alexander the Great a Gay ???

I watch it the movie and what I see there in the scene's look like that he like more male's then female's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_(film))

I found it pages about this...
    Last edited by Boztorgai_Khan; November 05, 2010 at 12:29 AM.

MOD's: >>> K-MTW2 & EW MOD & BC MOD <<< BoZToRGai KHaN

Official Web Site: http://www.djeak.com/boztorgaikhan/ (Coming Soon..!!!)

Website: http://www.cumankipchaksgroup.com/ (Coming Soon..!!!)

There is no proof either way, He had many wives and male companions.

But the main thing is you can NOT ever place modern view of sexuality into the life of Ancient Greeks or Romans. It just doesn't work like that.

Boztorgai_Khan's Avatar Domesticus

easy down. it was a question. they I watch it the movie of him and search it on google.
    if is here a prof. of greece historian they can tell it us true about this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_(film)
    Last edited by Boztorgai_Khan; November 05, 2010 at 12:28 AM.

MOD's: >>> K-MTW2 & EW MOD & BC MOD <<< BoZToRGai KHaN

Official Web Site: http://www.djeak.com/boztorgaikhan/ (Coming Soon..!!!)

Website: http://www.cumankipchaksgroup.com/ (Coming Soon..!!!)

Lysimachus's Avatar Spirit Cleric

Quote Originally Posted by Boztorgai_Khan View Post
    easy down. it was a question. they I watch it the movie of him and search it on google.
    if is here a prof. of greece historian they can tell it us true about this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_(film)
    Alexander the Great had a Bactrian wife called Roxane who he had impregnated six months prior to his death and had a male lover called Hephaestion. I'm not entirely certain whether he had hetrosexual relationships due to the necessity of needing an heir or not, but I think it would be safe to say he was bisexual.