Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lesson 2

Default Lesson 2

Lesson 2: Character development

Role of characters
    Role of characters in AARs

Starting out
    Each of your characters needs a plausible and easily recognisable identity. Think of whatever character you last liked in a book or movie and they will inspire a set of adjectives – Sherlock Holmes as the enigmatic genius, Jack Sparrow as the eccentric romantic, Decimus Maximus as the tragic hero, Mr. Bean as...Mr. Bean.

In AAR writing the game provides various tidbits that form the the basic information required. In TW AARs this often includes a name and title, family, and maybe some personality traits over time. Often the starting characters of a game will provide an adequate starting cast – usually the protagonist, perhaps some support characters, and maybe one or more antagonists. Imaginary characters can then be added to this to suit your storyline. The key is for each character to be believable and have backgrounds that relate logically to the time period as well as other characters. Calling your characters Abdul and Mohammed may not work the best for a story set in medieval France, for example. Sometimes deliberate mismatches could be used to spectacular effect, but in such cases a plausible explanation of the mismatch must be prepared – how Abdul came to be in medieval France.

Main characters
    A small group of well-defined main characters will typically define your readership’s relationship with your story. Being the centrepiece of your story, each main character should have a recognisable persona with a well-defined background, personality traits and a purpose to serve. Often it is helpful for main characters to be defined in pairs or in small groups so that characters can be contrasted against one another, and so that there are opportunities for interaction. Good versus evil is a simple yet effective, if a little overused, dichotomy. Male and female characters can be paired as potential lovers. Old and young can become mentor and protégé. Etcetera.

Support characters
    Depending on the importance of the role, a support character’s personality and background can be described in great depth, or not at all. The support character’s primary role is to cause some kind of interaction with the main characters in such a way that readers are able to learn more about the latter in specific ways or to progress a story in some way that doesn't involve the main characters. A childhood friend can relate stories of childhood. An old flame can provoke forgotten emotions. A sibling can reveal thoughts of jealousy and rivalry, and so on.

A good idea is to maintain a relatively large cast of support characters, even if some have no immediate use to speak of. These “dormant” support characters are stored away for future use, and can be employed once suitable events require them. They can also be used as side plots or distractions from the main plotline.

Character development
    People change over time, and AAR characters should be no different. Over the course of an AAR, all characters should show some sign of development – not just through the accumulating of victories and battle scars – but also in terms of how such events their personalities. It is important that as the reader follows the story he feels that he has grown with the characters, and as characters grow their personalities – anything from their approach to events to their thought processes – should vary accordingly.

For the main characters, it is especially important that as the story progresses, these characters are seen to be progressing along a defined trajectory along a story arc, be it a personal mission, a goal set by another, or some other form of landmark. Having the reader feel the glory of success – or even the pain of failure – could all help to bring him closer to your main character. A glorious victory could galvanise the tentative squire. The consummation of love could cause a brazen warrior to review his priorities. The loss of a loved one, on the other hand, could traumatise a character in some way.

Twists and turns are essential to any good story, and just as in real life, your main characters should experience unexpected events once in a while. These help to break them from clichéd models of archetypal roles which can make the character seem predictable and uninteresting if adhered to for too long. This is where support characters – be it one you've put on the back burner or one who is freshly introduced – and their interaction with other characters comes in. Perhaps a distant cousin has arrived with tragic news of a death at home? Maybe a traveller brings news of the impending Mongol invasion? A battle and the death and suffering that comes with it could give a character a new outlook on life?

Killing main characters
    Killing a, or even the, main character is one of the most poignant things any writer can do – to both his readership and himself. If you’ve invested adequately into a main character, suddenly killing him will – unless you’ve provided adequate foreshadowing and maybe even then – almost certainly provoke feelings of shock, sadness, disappointment, and even anger among your readership. Even when the killing of a main character is well executed the anguish it causes may cause some among your readership to protest against your decision, or even to abandon the “ruined” story all together. The death of a well-crafted character may even cause the author himself to lose heart in the plot, fearing it is tainted by the death.

Despite these potential pitfalls, sometimes killing a main character can be an incredibly powerful way to bring the story to a climax, for example at the end of the story. The trauma you cause in your readers can multiply the glory of his life and the significance of his sacrifice. The final moments of a main character – be it a melancholic swansong or a heroic last stand – can help take him to that next level of greatness.

The key to killing a main character is to do it in a manner that seems meaningful and is “epic” in some way. It would be rather silly for your main character to trek across the desert in search of vengeance only to die of an infection, for example. Permanence is another important attribute of such plot turns – that brave sacrifice will lose all meaning if your character is brought back to life somehow a few chapters later.

Not to be done by the faint hearted.

Readings
    Readings

Read the following articles on AAR writing (tips and thoughts in the Collected Wisdom thread)
    - Juvenal CQ10
    - dezikeizer CQ24
    - Esaciar CQ27
    - Follow these two characters:
    --- Mochizuki Takamasa from Takeda (chapters XXXV, XXXVI, XXXVII, XLI, XLIX, L, LI)
    --- Sbyslav Oslyabya from Primus Inter Pares (chapters 49, 51, 54, 55, 57, 59)

Assignments
    Assignments

- Pick a character from any AAR you liked (except those two characters we have been working on). Tell us what happened to that character and how he/she changed over the course of the AAR. Make sure to add a link to the AAR. 800 words maximum.
    - Think back to the prologue you developed for the previous lesson. Now your task is to introduce a protagonist (if you haven't done so) and describe him/her in greater details, regarding the character' position, physical appearance, family background and personality. 800 words maximum.

Assignment deadline: September 25.
    Last edited by Radzeer; September 11, 2012 at 06:32 AM.

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: Lesson 2

Yes! Finally more room to write, so I don't have to leave out anything.

I will begin working on this when my time allows it.

EDIT. And again, the deadline date?
    Last edited by The Kybrothilian; September 14, 2012 at 10:04 AM.

Ah, the deadline thingy... I added it. Thanks for noting!

Indefinitely Banned

You're welcome.

Great! I may be hurting for time to finish this, but I will surely try my best!

Indefinitely Banned

Regarding the second part of the assignment, are pictures now allowed? Can we take in-game screenshots of the protagonist or characters related to him in some way, and use them in the assignment?

Quote Originally Posted by Herald of Omnisiah View Post
    Regarding the second part of the assignment, are pictures now allowed? Can we take in-game screenshots of the protagonist or characters related to him in some way, and use them in the assignment?
    Good question, we have not thought about that. Let's say you can use one picture to illustrate your description.

Indefinitely Banned

Also, should the part 2 be written in a document form, or should it be in first person?

Quote Originally Posted by Herald of Omnisiah View Post
    Also, should the part 2 be written in a document form, or should it be in first person?
    In any form you wish. It is your choice how you would like to introduce your character.

It says 800 words minimum, perhaps you could add the minimum as well?

Quote Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
    It says 800 words minimum, perhaps you could add the minimum as well?
    I believe you mean maximum

You can have the minimum at your convenience. I mean 50 words would probably be not enough, but we leave it up to you.

Sorry guys; I've been extremely busy with schoolwork. I'll try to have my assignment in within the next few days.

Sounds good, looking forward to reading your work!

Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to finish my assigments tonight. I tried to but some RL stuff is simply taking away almost all my free time. I will probably be able to finish these two assigments on Friday afternoon (CET). Is that okey? I am terribly sorry for any inconvenience.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

What I thought the deadline was tomorrow.

It was the 25th.

I've got a break from work starting tonight, so I'll have mine in hopefully before midnight EST.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Well then if I am still allowed, I shall have it done by midnight EST.

What's the point of a deadline when most don't do it by then

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
    What's the point of a deadline when most don't do it by then
    It has a point.

Most of these participants are going to be kicked out of the course now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast