Thread: Cannot get game to run :-(

Default Cannot get game to run :-(

Hi there, running Empire on Steam, downloaded ACW installed it OK and everything seems fine, but every time I open up the Empire game although I get this infuriating civil war music and a different start, once I get to the 'game' options there is no button for the ACW eithe rin the normal game or the Warpath (just the tribes) which I also own. What am I doing wrong?
    Have tried opening up the ACW3 application in the ACW subfolder and selecting the map and game, yet it doesn't seem to make much difference other than I keep on getting this infuriating Civil War music which won't switch off...

Minas Moth's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Cannot get game to run :-(

Ok, have you followed the instructions on Installation & Launcher Thread? you have to run the game using the ACW Launcher (icon should be on your desktop). however the rest of your posts makes me believe you have some residual data from other mods in your empire total war\data folder, so do the following:

• open ACW launcher
    • choose Settings
    • choose Check Files feature
    • remove all of the listed files (all of them)

and start the game; also if crash persists do the following: after the crash, start the ACW Launcher, choose File -> Go To -> Mod Folder -> and open the acw_log.txt file. copy the entire thing from top to bottom, it is long so remember to copy entire thing...

Sorry, no go, still getting nowhere Went into the ACW launcher, there were no files listed in Check Files feature.

Keep on starting game but even though the ACW start-page comes up it then reverts back to the normal Empire Total War games either start new campaign, warpath campaign etc. No ACW stuff at all although the front page is different to what it normally is but it doesn't give me any options other than the normal ones.

Have looked at the Installation and Launcher instructions but do not understand them. I keep on opening it select the campaing, it tells me I have chosen RTI3 or Warpath map and my campaign is set, and that's it. Nothing else happens when I click OK

Don't understand your final instructions, have opened the acw_log.txt file Where do I copy i tto? BTW it's very small, not long as you described. In fact htis is all of it :

Code:
    ACW 3.X log - 08/09/2012
    --------------------------
    Info:
    Registered owner: Chris, Is admin? True, Has limited token? False
    OS: Windows 7 x 64 - Enterprise Edition, Version: 6, Build Number: 7601
    Memory: Total: 4083 Available: 2281
    Display: 1680 x 1050 - 32 bit
    Mod Installation Path:
    ACW path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\ACW
    Current Campaign: RTI3
    Steam Status: On
    Current non vanilla files in data folder:

Actions:
    * 17:33:09 -> Mod started
    * 17:33:09 -> boot.pack removed.
    * 17:33:18 -> bg_art.pack moved from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\ACW\Packs to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data.
    * 17:33:18 -> bg_boot.pack moved from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\ACW\Packs to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data.
    * 17:33:50 -> bg_core.pack moved from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\ACW\Packs to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data.
    * 17:33:51 -> bg_db.pack moved from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\ACW\Packs to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data.
    * 17:34:16 -> bg_models.pack moved from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\ACW\Packs to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data.
    * 17:34:16 -> bg_movie.pack moved from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\ACW\Packs to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data.
    * 17:34:45 -> bg_music.pack moved from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\ACW\Packs to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data.
    * 17:35:26 -> Check Files dialog opened.
    * 17:35:33 -> Check Files dialog closed.

EDIT: tagged the log; MM
    Last edited by Minas Moth; September 08, 2012 at 12:15 PM.

Minas Moth's Avatar Senator

ok, have you installed the ACW mod to the correct path? that is SteamApps\common\empire total war It is located where your main empire total war game is (or vanilla as it is generally known). problem you have (vanilla game with acw launched) comes from faulty installation (either you have chosen a wrong installation path or you have corrupted download). where is the original empire total war installed? can you verify that it is on
    Code:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war
    or is it somewhere else, and if it is, where?

No it's all there in the correct place which is where it was always loaded. Have deleted then reloaded the ACW mod and seem to have gotten somewhere now. Unfortunately although I can start the game via the ACW launcher it goes to the menu, chose start new campaign game and then it hangs just at the end of loading Wiat for it to build up and then eventually the screen goes black and it eventually bombs back to the desk top. Opened up Task Manager and it tells me that Empire TW is no longer working.
    BTW this happens wehter I am north or south, and also for both different map/campaign options. Always hangs just as it finishes loading up the campaign map.

Icon4 Re: Cannot get game to run :-(

I cannot get ACW 3.4 to work. As soon as I try to start a campaign... the game crashes completely and boots me out to Win7.
    Someone please help! I have been trying for a week or so and this is getting very frustrating. I'm sure it's a great mod... if I ever get to play it.