Thread: Siege of Constantinople Error [Approx Turn 60]

Default Siege of Constantinople Error [Approx Turn 60]

Hi,

First of all... Love the mod - been playing on/off for quite some time now. Thanks & congrats to the developers.

Signed up to post a recurring issue I am having with BC v2.3.2.2, running Windows 7 & have now installed MTWII & BC outside the 'Program Files' folder after having done so initially.

Around turn 60, I get the message stating that the crusade is heading for Constantinople & soon after it CTDs with the 'an unspecified error has occured and will now exit' message.

Here are the last few entries from 'bc_king.system.log'...

19:13:28.869 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <if> at line 5403 in mods/broken_crescent_kingdoms/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    19:13:28.869 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <if> at line 5407 in mods/broken_crescent_kingdoms/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    19:13:28.869 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <set_counter> at line 5410 in mods/broken_crescent_kingdoms/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    19:13:28.869 [game.script.counter] [trace] counter <siegeConstantinople> = 1
    19:13:28.869 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <terminate_monitor> at line 5411 in mods/broken_crescent_kingdoms/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    19:13:28.874 [bink] [debug] [mods/broken_crescent_kingdoms/data/fmv/faction/ere_win.bik]Pause on
    19:13:28.874 [bink] [debug] [mods/broken_crescent_kingdoms/data/fmv/faction/ere_win.bik]Pause on
    19:13:29.194 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

I have tried playing with several factions, including the Byzantine Empire & I always encounter this problem... I just cannot get past it.

Also, if I turn 'fog of war' off... then at no point do I even see the crusading armies appear on the map near Constantinople.

Is there a fix/workaround for this? There's no point in starting a game if I cannot get past the first 60-odd turns & it is so infuriating.

Please Help!

Thanks.

wudang_clown's Avatar Fire Is Inspirational

Default Re: Siege of Constantinople Error [Approx Turn 60]

Have you installed any submods?

Under the patronage of m_1512

Hi Wudang_clown,

Nope - No submods, just BC v2.3.2.2.

Thanks.

When exactly does the error happen? Just after you get the message? During AI turn after getting the message?

Also, I need whole bc_log.txt. You can attach it to your post, just remember about packing it into .zip or .rar.

The error happens during the AI Turn... it looks like it gets to where the 'rebel' side gets to move, then CTDs and that error is then displayed.

The log files are attached, do you want me to attach a saved game where the error occurs during the next AI turn?

One thing that I've noticed, is that in 'campaign_script.txt' there is a comment attached to the Siege of Constantinople event.

It states 'Script uses armies coded in descr_strat under "4th crusade on vacation in Tibet"'.

I've had a look in 'descr_strat.txt' and can see no mention of either 'crusade' or 'Tibet'... perhaps the script cannot find the arnies it is meant to spawn for this event and this is what causes the CTD?

Hmm, it looks like an error related to the siege. However, during my testing I haven't experienced anything like that and also I can't recall any similar reports, which is very confusing, to be honest.

I'd have to recreate it by running a campaign, which I don't have time for. We will be testing 2.4, though, and that will be the only sure period when we will be able to check this properly. Unless I, or someone else, find some time soon...

How many campaigns have been spoiled by this and what factions have you been playing as then? Also, can I see your campaign_script.txt properties? I just want to be absolutely sure that this is the same file which was supposed to contain fixed 4th crusade script.

doesnīt have 2.3.2.2 a small "2.3.2.2" in the top right corner of the splash screen, that fires up when BC loads?
    I havenīt installed the latest version at the moment...

No, it doesn't. 2.3.2.2 consists of only fixed campaign_script.txt.

Hi Wudang_clown,

I have played games with the Byzantine Empire, Sindh, Khwarezm Shah, Makuria & Oman & I always get thrown out at around turn 60. The logs relate to the siege of Constantinople in each case.

I have attached a screenshot of the properties of 'campaign_script.txt', as well as the file itself.

Thanks.

Yes, that's 2.3.2.2. Which is a nasty surprise.

As I've said, most likely I won't be able to properly test it again any time soon. If I find time next week (at least I'll try), though, I'll post results here. Also, it would be very useful if other people reported the same problem, if they have it.

Sorry for the inconvenience of spoiled campaigns.

Thanks for your help Wudang,

I'll keep an eye on the forum to see if a fix/workaround gets posted otherwise I'll just hold off until the next release of BC.

I've tested Omani campaign once today, only hitting end turn button, I've reached turn 80, siege of Constantinople happened normally, although only one crusader army appeared, which I admit is not correct, but other than that - no errors, no CTD's, saved games loaded correctly.

Now, when I have a separate and clear 2.3.2.2 installation, could you send me couple of your save games, including the one just before the CTD?

Default Re: Siege of Constantinople Error [Approx Turn 60] ***FIXED***

Hi Wudang_clown,

I'm very happy to report that this issue has now been resolved!

I saw your coverstaion with Autokratos in the other thread...

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post12008671

So I then decided to re-install to see if that would fix it for myself. During the installation I realised that this error is caused by installing BC v2.3 & then installing the v2.3.2.2 directly on top of that.

The installer I have for BC is listed as 'v2.3' in the filename & consists of three separate files.

On the below page to download BC...

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=448564

The version that is hosted at 'filehosting.org' is v2.3.2.1 & is listed as being two separate files. I reckon I downloaded my installer for BC via the torrent.

So I then installed the v2.3.2 patch & noticed in the change log...

"19. fixed save corrupting 4th Crusade siege script"

After then applying the v2.3.2.2 quick fix, I no longer get the error on the rebels next turn. Like Autokratos, I get the message - but no actual army appears on the strategy map.

So that's it... the two separate installers on the down load page are not the same version & an incorrect installation causes this error.

Thanks for your help on this!

I'm glad to hear it's no longer a problem. We'll work on the crusade, obviously, as the armies should show up and actually attack the city.

I've specified info concerning the installers. Hopefully, there will be no more installation mistakes.