Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CTD in the end of the turn - Help, please!

D.Vallier's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: CTD in the end of the turn - Help, please!

Hi Gigantus!
    I don't want to be boring, but, please, don't forget about my problem!
    I really don't know what to do with it...
    Cheers!

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

I just did a quick custom battle with Spain and only the Caballeros Hidalgos and had no problem - couldn't find the unit for Aragon and Portugal is not in customs battle.
    Can you do the same please?

Ready. I've just tried.
    Aragon (Caballeros Hidalgos) x France (Mailed Knights). The same problem happened. CTD while loading the battle.

I tried Spain (Iberian Swordsmen) x France (Mailed Knights) and the battle loaded just fine.

Blog Entries

I found another small mistake in the modeldb - the attachment files for aragon and portugal were not present. The attached ZIP file contains this updated modelDB together with the EDU, descr_mount and the mesh folder.

Hi again Gigantus!

I copied and paste (and substituted) the EDU and descr_mount to data folder; and modelDB to unit_models folder. Then, I moved the mesh files (iberian_cavalry lod0, 1, 2 and 3) to the en_peasant_padded folder and the corresponding texture file to the texture folder inside en_peasant_padded. Unfortunately, it didn't work.
    I got really really down, but I still have some hope that we can solve it!

I noticed something else. The picture you posted shows the Caballeros Hidalgos of Reino de Castilla, but that unit is not avaible in the Custom Battle to Reino de Castilla (Spain), only for Aragon.
    Oh, and Portugal is not playable in the Custom Battle (there is no banner of Portugal to select), so I can't say if the Caballeros Hidalgos are avaible to be played by that faction too.

I firstly thought that the Caballeros Hidalgos were specific unit for Aragon. Could it be related to my actual problem?

Blog Entries

I noticed something else. The picture you posted shows the Caballeros Hidalgos of Reino de Castilla, but that unit is not avaible in the Custom Battle to Reino de Castilla (Spain), only for Aragon.
    For me it is the other way round. It could be related to your problem.
    Save your save game file somewhere, delete the PDeR mod folder and re-install PDeR - I am using the 1a version from here, don't forget the quickfix from there.
    After that add the files from the Caballeros.zip file

I see...
    But can't I just transfer the Caballeros unit from Aragon to Castilla? I mean, copy the unit to Castilla and then erase it from Aragon.
    Wouldn't it be easier? That's because I think I don't know how to uninstall PDER. There is no "uninstall" in it, and I can't find it in Control Panel to remove it. I tried uninstalling Kingdoms, but it didn't work...
    I know it sounds really stupid, but I don't know how to uninstall PDER...

Blog Entries

PDeR doesn't come with an uninstaller - just delete the PDeR folder manually and then re-install.

Ok, I did it.
    Reinstalled my Kingdoms and my PDER. But it keeps the same thing. Caballeros Hidalgos to Aragon, but not to Castilla, and the same CTD.

And now I did something really stupid. I unpacked my M2TW, but now every battle I need to play on the battle map crashes, with any unit. It loads fully, the scenario appears all white and 2 sec later, CTD with a message box saying it was an "unespecific error". I deleted the descr_geography files and put that "[io] file_first = true" thing in the preferences.cfg, but I'm getting this error.

The problems with the Caballeros remains, but it doesn't load fully. It stops before the middle of the loading bar is complete and crashes.
    I really don't know what to do now. Don't have any idea.

Blog Entries

Virtual Store strikes again I think. Check this tut.

I would suggest to simply install M2TW in a different folder - since it came out I have been installing M2TW into C:\My Games - never had a problem with the Virtual Store, in fact someone had to explain to me what that was and what problem it causes.

If you want to unpack the game and not have the connected problems, check here.

Edit: I just checked once again - portugal is not available fro custyom battles, aragonhas got the unit in custom battle, spain hasn't.
    This is after a clean install from my torrent plus the two fixes.
    Last edited by Gigantus; October 10, 2012 at 06:15 AM.

I created the "My Games" folder. Wow! That's a great tip, Gigantus! Thanks a lot for the advice, it really helped!

But, back to the Caballeros problem...
    Edit: I just checked once again - portugal is not available fro custyom battles, aragonhas got the unit in custom battle, spain hasn't.
    This is after a clean install from my torrent plus the two fixes.
    That's exactly what I did. I downloaded PDER1.0a from your machine (by torrent), because the donwload by these links kept corrupting the files, bringing that error with some hungarian crusader knights, or something like that. The installation went perfect. After that I made the two fixes (1 to play with Georgia and Armenia and the other about the Caballeros), but it is still the same. In custom battle it is just what you said, and in campaign, Castilla don't have the Caballeros avaiable, but Aragon has them, and when they fight in battle map, it crashes.

I think we are getting close to a solution here. I have high hopes about it! Again, thank you for your interest in helping me, Gigantus!

Blog Entries

I am afraid I am out of suggestions - no idea why it still crashes on your machine when it works fine on mine.

Hi Gigantus!

Before everything, I must thank you for your interest in helping me and for your efforts in the Caballeros issue. It helped me a lot, for real!

I have good news about the Caballeros, because I think I did it! I went to the EDU and changed the Iberian Cavalry ownership. In the original EDU the unit's ownership is Spain (Castilla), Aragon and Portugal. I simply erased Aragon and Portugal. Although the Caballeros are not avaiable to Spain, that was one way to move them out of the game without deleting the unit!

But it seems the problem is too much bigger. I think there is a huge unit problem in Iberia. There are lots of units of Aragon, that I played now, starting the same CTD as before. The Iberian Swordsmen Militia, Musketeers and Chivalric Knights are examples.
    And there is another thing. The unit Feudal Seargents, when played with Aragon, has a metal texture (except their captain). And that same unit crashes when played by Castilla.
    Portugal probably has a lot of these unit crashes, but I can't test them, because that faction is not avaiable in custom battles.

So, do you think you can help me in fixing these units? I think it's a different problem than the Caballeros, however I think they are related.
    I really hope you can help me with that new big issue.
    Cheers!

Blog Entries

silver unit - that faction hasn't got a texture allocated in the modeldb file.
    If that same unit crashes with another faction then there could be an error with the format of the texture - the model is OK.
    Faction available in custom battle - there is a limit to the number of factions that can be used in custom battles. You can 'juggle' that by going into descr_sm_factions and editing the 'custom_battle_availability' entry to either yes or no - depending which one you want to exchange, eg set england to 'no' and portugal to 'yes'

I edited descr_sm_factions and checked Portugal's units. It seems that only Feudal Sergeants is causing a CTD, just like with Castilla. They also have indeed a Caballeros Hidalgos, that doesn't crash.
    Based on what I see, the problem is Aragon. Practically half of it's units crashes: Iberian Swordsmen Militia, Sword and Buckler Men, Chivalric Knights (dismounted and mounted), Mounted Crossbowmen, Musketeers, Arquebusiers, Handgunners... And some other units have silver texture (eg.: Feudal Sergeants and Gendarmes).
    So, I have 2 questions:

1- Is there anyway to try solving these crashing units or should I take them out of Aragon and ignore them? (that would be kind of unjust to Aragon, because they'll have only a few units compared to the other factions)

2- Is there anyway I can get the modeldb for the silver textured units?

Blog Entries

It is curious that the units would cause a crash if they are OK with other factions. I can only think of the unit textures or the battle banners (maybe the info picture - but that would then already crash in the regular game).

If you want to test the battle banner theory, then simply add this line in the CFG file, in the [video] section:

[video]
    show_banners = 0

That will disable banners and if stops crashing then you have found the culprit

Hi again, Gigantus!
    I have great news about that old issue concerning the Caballeros!!!
    After I studied some of the files of M2TW here in the forum, I tried to edit the battle_models.

I took note of every crashing unit in Aragon and searched for it in battle_models. In the file I simply changed the spr. (sprite files entry) and texture (texture files entry) lines of aragon and put the same as Castilla (spain). It worked!!!

Now I'm applying that to every unit that crashes! I know the texture won't be the same, but it's very similar, as Castilla and Aragon are very close to each other!
    It's great! I hope there is no more crashes!!!

It works just like that. First I look for the unit in the battle_models. I started with the Caballeros Hidalgos (dictionary name: iberian_cavalry)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002
    15 iberian_cavalry
    1 4
    62 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/iberian_cavalry_lod0.mesh 121
    62 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/iberian_cavalry_lod1.mesh 900
    62 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/iberian_cavalry_lod2.mesh 2500
    62 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/iberian_cavalry_lod3.mesh 6400
    5 spain
    77 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_spain.texture
    78 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_normal.texture
    37 unit_sprites/spain_Jinetes_sprite.spr
    8 portugal
    80 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_portugal.texture
    78 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_normal.texture
    40 unit_sprites/portugal_Jinetes_sprite.spr
    6 aragon
    78 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_aragon.texture
    5 spain
    60 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Iberian_spain_diff1.texture
    60 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Iberian_spain_norm1.texture 0
    8 portugal
    62 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Iberian_portugal_diff.texture
    62 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Iberian_portugal_norm.texture 0
    6 aragon
    61 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Iberian_aragon_diff1.texture
    61 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Iberian_[COLOR="rgb(0, 191, 255)"]aragon[/COLOR]_norm1.texture 0
    5 Horse
    13 MTW2_HR_Spear
    18 MTW2_HR_Non_Shield 1
    21 MTW2_HR_spear_Primary 1
    18 MTW2_Sword_Primary

As you see there is a line about that unit in Aragon and another about it in Castilla (spain) and in Portugal.

It is so simple now. Just substitute the lines of aragon for the lines in spain. Save and it's all done! And, of course, we can't forget to change the "upgrades/ ug1" etc!
    It will look like this:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002
    15 iberian_cavalry
    1 4
    62 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/iberian_cavalry_lod0.mesh 121
    62 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/iberian_cavalry_lod1.mesh 900
    62 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/iberian_cavalry_lod2.mesh 2500
    62 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/iberian_cavalry_lod3.mesh 6400
    5 spain
    77 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_spain.texture
    8 portugal
    80 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_portugal.texture
    40 unit_sprites/portugal_Jinetes_sprite.spr
    6 aragon
    5 spain
    8 portugal
    62 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Iberian_portugal_diff.texture
    62 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Iberian_portugal_norm.texture 0
    6 aragon
    5 Horse
    13 MTW2_HR_Spear
    18 MTW2_HR_Non_Shield 1
    21 MTW2_HR_spear_Primary 1
    18 MTW2_Sword_Primary

I'm sorry I took so long to answer back! I was studying these files and trying to fix that thing.
    I appreciate very much your help, Gigantus! Thanks a lot!
    Cheers!
    Last edited by D.Vallier; November 11, 2012 at 05:10 PM.

Blog Entries

Marvelous! Can you upload the working file please? I will then attach it to the fixes.

Of course I can!
    Here it is!
    The problem was in the battle_models, so I'm sending the edition I made to the file so it can work properly. I couldn't upload it, so I just compacted it in .rar.
    I hope it will help others! Such a great mod must be played with no problems at all!
    Cheers!

Blog Entries

Added to installation thread. Thanks for your efforts!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast