Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CTD in the end of the turn - Help, please!

D.Vallier's Avatar Libertus

Default CTD in the end of the turn - Help, please!

Hi everyone!
    I have a problem with my PDER.
    I've been making a kind of submod on which I changed some names and years and family trees only, nothing more.
    It was all going on very well, but in the middle of the process, when it was half done, the game started an unspecified error and CTD in the end of the turn.
    The CTD occurs in the end of a random turn, but in the begining of the game (like 5th - 10th turns) and always on the end of the turn, after the Lesser Factions finished their moves.

I looked at my log for weeks and spent lots of time thinking about it, but I couldn't figure it out. That's why I'm coming to you guys, as you are my last hope (seriously, not being dramatic).

That's what my log says:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    when testing <IsFactionLeader> condition
    08:34:31.962 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <spymaster_vnv_trigger>
    : IsFactionLeader needs a living character.

08:36:33.859 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <spymaster_vnv_trigger>
    : IsFactionLeader needs a living character.

Please, help me out with this, as you're my last (and only) hope!
    I appreciate your help, any help!

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: CTD in the end of the turn - Help, please!

Those are not fatal errors, simply messages that the relevant script part will not fire as intended. It does however hint at a dying faction leader.

To get a good log, you will have to edit the CFG file in PDeR's folder (not sure if it is set that way already) with Notepad
    Look for the [log] section
    You should have a line like this:
    level = * error
    Change it to this and save:
    level = * trace

Now run the mod again until a crash happens. The log will have a substantial size now. Compress it with a tool like 7zip and then attach it here using the 'Go Advanced' button and then the 'Manage Attachments' option.

Hi Gigantus,
    I did what you said and there is a huuuuge log now. Don't know where to start from.

I firstly thought it to be a dying faction leader, as you said, but didn't know which of them.
    I tried to fix the problem myself by deleting the spymaster_vnv_trigger line in the export_descr_ancillaries, but it seems nothing has changed.

I searched for my problem (or one similar to it) in the "Bug Report" thread of PDER and I found something near it. It happened with Tony83, I think. Socal said it might be a problem with princesses or some strange characters walking through the map. While playing as Georgia, I saw an unusual character named Skilas: a rebel faction leader (didn't know there was a rebel leader). When I double click him, his name reads "Skilas !DON'T TRANSLATE! PLAYER SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO SEE THIS!" or something like that. I killed him many times to test if it was him the bug trigger, but nothing happened and the game kept running normally. I looked for this Skilas in the descr_strat, but there is no Skilas in there...

I thought any information I could provide to you would help with the investigation.

There is the M2TW log compacted as .rar
    I appreciate your interest in helping me! Thanks!

Blog Entries

A faction leader for the rebels can happen if descr_strat contains a named_character for the rebels. The faction itself is 'immortal' as it doesn't have a family tree, so killing him has no effect toward eliminating the faction.
    There are a good number of trait errors, but they are usually not fatal unless they are listed in the last line of the log. The end of the log appears like the setup for a battle, so it could be that a battle model is missing.

Which files did you change?

I see... I thought it was too weird to have a character rebel leader walking through the game. He was there before I make the changes btw.

I changed only descr_strat, names.txt and descr_names, nothing more.
    I changed the starting year to be 1120 and the end to be at 1570, and of course, made every change to the family trees to the starting year.
    I searched a lot, read some parts of books about genoese, venetian, byzantine and also the iberian. If everything went fine I would give the files to you if you'd like to use it - or a part of it - in PDER 2.0.

Anyway, do you think the CTD is a consequence of the changes in these files?

Oh, and I forgot to tell I changed somethings in the family tree section of the descr_campaign_db.xml, but only limits of ages to have longest family trees.
    About the probable battle model missing, can I fix it or something?

Blog Entries

Extending the values for age doesn't always work.
    You will have to find the unit that causes the problem, best through custom battle. Use a vanilla unit for the opponent and then try one new unit (that was involved in the crash) at at time.

Ok, I get it. I'm gonna try it now, but I don't know if custom battle will help, because the crash happens when I choose to fight on the battle map. When I go custom battle, the turn passes normally, it seems.

I have one question still. When and if I discover the unit involved in the crash, what should I do with it? Delet it?
    Thanks fot the help till now, Gigantus!
    Hope we can solve it!

Blog Entries

Deleting the unit will not help as such, it will just create more problems. Depending on what the actual problem is (is the model missing in modelDB or is it a simple typo in EDU or modelDB?) the solution differs.
    Once you identified the unit post here again and I will have a look at it.
    In case the unit isn't available in custom battle simply remove the no_custom entry in the unit's EDU section, attribute line. Make a back up to reverse it later.

I think I discovered the unit.
    The CTD occurs when I use the "Caballeros Hidalgos" (aragonese cavalry unit) in my army and fight in the battle map. Before the battle is loaded, the crash comes.

One more thing is that the card of the "Caballeros Hidalgos" is missing, and there is the image of a peasant in a brown suit holding a knife or a saber (that's what I think it is).

I firstly thought the CTD would happen to any other unit with no card, but when I tested the "Dismounted Mailed Knights" and the "Byzantine Peasants", the battle went fine, all the units were on the map, shouting and fighting, everything perfect!

So I guess the problem is the "Caballeros Hidalgos" indeed.

Good guess, Gigantus! Now, what should I do to fix it?
    I will wait your answer anxious!

Blog Entries

Let me install my version of PDeR (1.0a) and see what's happening there.

export_unit
    Code:
    {Iberian_Cavalry}Caballeros Hidalgos
    EDU
    Code:
    type             Iberian Cavalry
    dictionary       Iberian_Cavalry      ; Iberian Cavalry
    category         cavalry
    class            light
    voice_type       Light
    banner faction   main_cavalry
    banner holy      crusade_cavalry
    soldier          Border_Horse, 24, 0, 1
    modelDB
    Code:
    12 border_horse
    1 4 
    59 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/border_horse_lod0.mesh 121 
    59 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/border_horse_lod1.mesh 900 
    59 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/border_horse_lod2.mesh 2500 
    59 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/border_horse_lod3.mesh 6400
    No border_horse model (mesh) in the folder!
    There are however 4 models of 'iberian_cavalry' in that folder which I guess were the models supposed to be used.

Find attached the corrected modelDB file and extract it into the data\unit_models folder. Please report back if that solved the problem and if the textures are displayed correctly.
    Last edited by Gigantus; September 15, 2012 at 11:46 AM.

I got it!

Ok, so I did what you said: downloaded the file, extracted it to the unit_model folder of PDER1.0a, but I'm afraid it didn't work The same thing is still happening. When I go fight with the Caballeros Hidalgos, the game crashes...

Gigantus, you mentioned there are 4 different types of Iberian Cavalry in the folder. The Caballeros Hidalgos unit is only 1 of these 4. Maybe it's another than the one you put in the corrected file. Am I thinking correctly?

What do we do now?

Blog Entries

It's not 4 different types - just the same model in different mesh (different memory size due to reduced surfaces).

When you extracted the modelDB, did you get a warning that it will overwrite a previous version? If not then it went into the wrong directory.
    Check if you got 4 'iberian_cavalry' (lod0, lod1 etc) files at the top of this folder: data\unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded

Hi again, Gigantus! I'm sorry I took so long to answer you back! I had a problem, a high fever actually, and I stayed in bed very ill. But I'm much better now.

Ok, I copied and pasted the ziped file into the correct directory, as you said, the overwrite message appeared and I selected to copy and substitute the previous file. Then, I played the game and nothing new happened. Everything the same as before. When I go fight with the Caballeros Hidalgos it still crashes.
    I tried more than once to copy and paste, but nothing worked.

So I checked the folder data/unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded and there are 4 iberian cavalry lods: lod0, lod1, lod2 and lod3.

Maybe one (or more) of these "lod" is corrupted? What do you think?

Blog Entries

I will have to check myself, this is a bit curious that the iberian cavalry shouldn't work.

Indeed.
    I hope I can help you with something in this case, because I'm really anxious to solve that problem!

Do you need the log, descr_strat or something else?

Blog Entries

I hope it works now. The following has been corrected:

EDU - entered the correct soldier model: border_horse replaced by iberian__cavalry
    modelDB - corrected model of border_horse: iberian_cavalry replaced by border_horse

It was a mix up by the looks of it. I would think that the original border_horse EDU entry was copied for the iberian_cavalry (the ug models are correct) and the soldier entry was forgotten. With the modelDB it was the other way round. Haven't gotten around to testing it - but I think that was the error.

modelDB goes into data\unit_models and the EDU goes into the data folder.

Hi again, Gigantus!
    I don't know how to report you that, but I'm afraid it didn't work.

The error keeps the same. When I go fight with the Caballeros Hidalgos in the battlefield, the load screen appears and, in the middle of the loading proccess, the CTD comes.
    Without them in my army, the fight occurs perfectly. But with them, crashes. I could just ignore them and never recruit them and never use them in a fight, but the big problem is the cpu ignore that unit.

I copied and pasted the EDU properly and substituted the old one for the new one in the data folder, and the modelDB in the unit_models folder. However, nothing got fixed.

On my short and very limited knowledge about this subject I have no idea of what is going on...
    What can we do now, Gigantus?

Blog Entries

I will have to have a look at the model itself.

Ok, Gigantus!
    I'll be waiting for that anxiously!!!
    Thanks a lot for the interest in helping me! I hope we can get a solution to this problem. I really do!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast