Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CTD in the end of the turn - Help, please!

D.Vallier's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: CTD in the end of the turn - Help, please!

Just one more question before this thread is closed or something like this.
    It is about the battle_models.modeldb.
    I added some new units, and you know, I'm new in that mod stuff, so... In order to the battle_models.modeldb works fine I must update the serialization number in the first line of the file, right?

There goes my question: The current number there is 858. What should I base myself to change that number? The quantity of ".mesh" files or the number of NEW .spr files or new .texture files... Or all of them?

For eg.:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002
    18 knights_of_antioch
    1 4
    59 unit_models/_Units/CM_Standard/knights_of_antioch_lod0.mesh 121
    59 unit_models/_Units/CM_Standard/knights_of_antioch_lod1.mesh 900
    59 unit_models/_Units/CM_Standard/knights_of_antioch_lod2.mesh 2500
    59 unit_models/_Units/CM_Standard/knights_of_antioch_lod3.mesh 6400
    7 antioch
    67 unit_models/_Units/CM_Standard/textures/CM_Standard_antioch.texture
    66 unit_models/_Units/CM_Standard/textures/CM_Standard_normal.texture
    50 unit_sprites/antioch_Knights_of_Antioch_sprite.spr
    7 antioch
    60 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Heater_antioch_diff.texture
    60 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Heater_antioch_norm.texture 0
    5 Horse
    13 MTW2_HR_Lance 13 MTW2_HR_Sword
    21 MTW2_HR_Lance_Primary 14 fs_test_shield
    18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 14 fs_test_shield

These are the Knights of Antioch I added. Should I add a "4" in the serialization number?
    Cheers!

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

The serial number is based on the number of model entries. These entries start with the name (knights_of_antioch in your example) and end with a fancy number string (there are two varieties). Have a look here for a good start.

Great!
    I think I get it. So, in that piece of BMDB I sent you there is only 1 entry (knights_of_antioch) and I need to add 1 to the serialization number.
    But if a unit have upgrades (ug)? Do they count as new entries as well?
    For what I've learned from you now it seems so. The tutorial is not clear about this point.

Oh! And I have a new thing. That one I can't even imagine how to solve. I searched about it in the whole forum and I couldn't find nothing alike.
    I discover that the game has now a CTD with one faction only (seems so far): the Moors.
    This CTD occurs in 2 ways:
    1. When the Faction Leader (the "Amir"), and only him - not the heir or other generals -, gets in a battle and wins. I can play the battle map and all, but in the end, when victory is assured and the character is celebrating in the campaign map, CTD!
    If he loses a battle alive, the game goes normally.

2. When the Faction Leader dies, there's CTD immediately. If he dies in battle, CTD will happen in the battle map just after he had fallen.

This doesn't happen to any other faction, for I have seen so far.
    I tried to change the Leader's character, but it doesn't make any difference.

That is really boring, because when I'm playing as any faction, the spanish and the moors go at war (as it is expected) and the moorish faction leader will eventually fight and win or die.
    Then, my scottish campaign - or other factions I'm playing - crashes in the moors turn...

Each of these CTD generate one log (attached)

I'd really appreciate your help with that!
    Sorry to bother you with that stuff, but this means a lot, since this is really the best mod I found of M2TW! Again, congrats to you, sir, and all your team! I hope I can count with you on this.
    Cheers!

Blog Entries

Looks to me like an error with traits:

win - 23:35:48.897 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <sGain_authority_2> fired
    die - 07:43:29.051 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <battle7> fired

Open descr_character_traits and look for the blue entries. Then place a semi-colon ( in front of each line of that section (between the dotted lines) to disable the trigger. Now save the file and try again the conditions that caused the crash previously.

Ok.
    I did that (put the ";" in front of each line of the trait's trigger), but it kept the CTD. However, the log changed and said there were problems with other traits, and keeps like this forever! I disabled the other traits' trigger, but it seems the game finds a new trait to express an error and cause a CTD when the moorish leader wins.
    When he is dead, the log now appoints new triggers as well, but none of them seem to have caused the crash... (the 2 new logs are attached, just to ilustrate what I'm saying)

I'm curious about this, as it happens only with the Moors and no other faction. Couldn't it be something specific to the moors? Maybe some entries related to this faction in another file?

In every log there are 2 lines just before the unspecified error that are strange to me.
    "23:35:48.923 [bink] [debug] [data/fmv/faction/minor_win.bik]Pause on
    23:35:48.923 [bink] [debug] [data/fmv/faction/minor_win.bik]Pause on
    23:35:49.230 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit."
    What these [bink] and [debug] mean?

Blog Entries

The [bink][debug] lines appear with errors like these, mostly when it appears a wining condition has gone bad.

I am afraid I will have to pass - I am out of ideas. Does this happen in every game with the moors? Or are you using a save game to test again and again?

At first, my campaign crashed in the moors turn.
    Then I started to investigate the problem and found that peculiarity with the moorish faction leader.
    But it is too ackward, because playing as Spain, I just killed the moorish leader AND heir (in campaign map) and nothing happened! So I really don't know what is going on.

Unfortunatelly, now every time I face the Lisbon Militia (a moorish sub_faction rebel general named Tariq), as Portugal, for eg., and I kill the enemy general in the battle map, the game crashes. It's a very strange situation. I reinstalled the mod multiple times, but everytime the same thing happens.

Even stranger is the fact that the errors didn't occur before, and now they keep coming as if they were acumulating, as if the game would remember to crash at these points, though I have reinstalled it.

These are bad news, the game is very unstable in my machine. Don't know if it's because I run Win7 and not XP or if it's because I downloaded the file from your machine (don't know if there would be something to do with it).
    Anyway, I worked a lot and couldn't use the modifications I made for myself... That's pretty sad. With the clean PDER1.0 is the same thing, the same CTDs, so I think I'll just have to give it up.
    It's really the best mod I found so far. It's almost perfect! You got close enough of a perfect game!
    I hope you launch PDER 2.0 soon, because I'm really counting on that to play the excellent systems of PDER! I can't find nothing similar.

If you have any ideas, Gigantus, or anyone else you know that understands the subject, tell me and I'll try it here, but I'm not optimist anymore...
    Cheers!

Blog Entries

You may have a problem with your virtual store after re-installing. Check this tutorial from step 3 onward and then delete the med2 folder in the virtual store.

Oh, I've already tried this one.
    I reinstalled Vanilla and then PDER (not in Program Files now), but it's still the same. I tried again that tutorial, but nothing changes.
    It's really strange! It's a problem specific to the moors and the sub_faction moors generals. I searched a lot in the forum and in other sources something about it, but it seems that's the first time it happens (if it has happened before, nobody posted).

When the rebel moorish general dies, the error is the same as the one of moorish Faction Leader, according to the log. I don't know how trait system works, but it could be something related specifically to one faction only. Is that possible?
    But how to correct it?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123