Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unite the Clans! 1.4 released - Forge the Dragon Empire!

Default Unite the Clans! 1.4 released - Forge the Dragon Empire!

This is a new submod for Rhun in order to add more challenge and immersive play when playing as Rhun. When playing I've found that Rhun's strong starting position and secure eastern and southern borders make especially the early campaign game rather easy. I'd also like to better represent Rhun as a union of various Easterling tribes forged into an empire.

Basic idea: Rhun will start the campaign game with fewer regions, and the player will receive a scripted quest to unite the clans.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

As new Easterling provinces are conquered, their local troops will become accessible for recruitment (Balchoth Tribesmen, Variags, Brygath Scouts, and Logath Axemen, see previews at the bottom of this page) and additional generals from the conquered tribes will join your faction. Rhun generals now have hereditary clan based traits and ancillaries.

Once all of the required starting provinces are conquered, the player will receive an additional reward. The player must unite the clans in order for the top tier golden dragon units to become available. Other additional units are added to fill in for the missing units until the quest is completed.

New Unit Previews:

Gathmarig Levies - New tier 0 infantry unit to replace Balchoth Tribesmen, who are now AOR western Rhun unit
    The rise of the urban trade centers of Mistrand and Kelepar have produced both the growth of the settled population and the need to defend the settled regions from raiding tribes from the outer steppes. The urban poor and peasant farmers of the coastal lowlands are hired or conscripted as needed to patrol the streets or man the city walls. Poorly equipped and barely trained, these troops can not be relied upon to hold a battle line in open combat.

Gathmarig Riders - New tier 1 cav unit to replace Variag Raiders, who are now AOR Khand unit
    The men of Rhun have long prized the horse as the key to life on the steppes and these cavalrymen are no exception. Despite the more settled life of the Gathmarig clans around the southern and eastern shores of the Sea of Rhun, men of even modest means are expected to be skilled riders. Lightly armed but lightning fast, clan horsemen excel at scouting, pursuit, and harassing lighter enemy troops.

Brygath Scouts - AOR light horse archers recruitable once you take Morad
    The Brygath are among the most warlike of Rhun's tribes, but a lack of organization above the tribal level keeps them from doing any lasting harm to their neighbors. Brygath scouts mounted on agile ponies and armed with flexible composite bows make excellent raiders and skirmishers, but are unsuited to extended combat with heavily armored troops. Instead they prefer to harass from a distance and close only with broken or fleeing enemy forces.

Logath Axemen - AOR medium axemen unit recruitable once you take North Rhun
    Easterlings with axes, not tall but broad and grim, bearded like dwarves. *Descendants of the famed Wainriders, the Logath live a semi-settled life in northern Rhun herding, fishing, and logging the Agasha Dag forest. *Clad in light lamellar and steel mail armour (influenced by their Northmen neighbors), these men wield their great axes to deadly effect in frequent conflicts with nomadic raiders and pirates of the Sea of Rhun.

Balchoth Reavers - AOR medium cavalry unit recruitable once you take Near Rhun
    The Balchoth are one of the many tribes of Easterlings. They are renowned for their ferocity and superb horsemanship, which almost rivals their Rohir enemies, and have developed hit and run tactics to a fine art. After their defeat in TA 2510, the Balchoth tribes have dwelt in the borderlands between Rhun and Rhovanion, south of the Inland Sea. Now pressed from the East by the expanding empire of the Loke Khan and swayed by the renewed influence of Sauronic cults, the Balchoth hordes are moving. Mounted on nimble ponies and armed with brutal maces, these raiders strike like lightning across the plains of Middle Earth.

Please download, back up your TATW install, and extract to your TATW folder. Works with ummodded TATW 3.2 only. If you want to use this with another version or submod you will need to manually merge them. If you do this please feel free to share your version. Please post suggestions and report bugs here. As with my Angmar Rising submod, I intend this mod to be open source so that other modders can incorporate it into your releases. Credit to KK and the TATW team for the base mod, to KK for the new Loke Rim unit, the Rusichi team, Alpha Delta, and Agostinos for numerous new unit models, and to everyone who contributed ideas to this thread.

Features:
    - Weakened starting position and scripted event directing player to unite the Easterling tribes under the Loke-Khan of Rhun: enhances realism, gameplay challenge, and immersion
    - AI script to allow AI to complete UTC events so as not to handicap AI Rhun when playing other factions
    - Two new AOR units for Rhun: Logath Axemen and Brygath Scouts
    - Balchoth Tribesmen, Variag Raiders, Dismounted Variags, Variag Spear Militia, Variag Archer Militia, Variag Lancers are now AOR units recruitable once you take Khand and Balchoth regions (south westof Sea of Rhun).
    - Two new low tier units to fill holes in starting roster created by making Variags and Balchoth AOR units
    - Two new Dragon regiment units (from AUM)
    - Player must complete Unite the Clans! in addition to barracks event in order to have full access to top tier Dragon regiments
    - Religion levels adjusted so that player will have to convert the population in the newly conquered regions to simulate assimilating the tribes in to the empire.
    - All generals will now receive a trait identifying their tribe of origin, randomly selected for adoptions and marriages, inherited from father for children.
    - Each tribe has a chieftain ancillary that is inherited father to son if father dies of natural causes. If father dies in battle, any general of the tribe can become chieftain by ending turn in that tribe's home city.
    - Over a dozen new tribal based ancillaries grant command and other bonuses.
    - Unit stat and strat map balancing.
    - Added over 100 new Easterling names for Rhun
    - Added new unit officers/NCO's, general battle models and strat models for tribal units

New in v1.4 (coming soon):
    - Custom battle models and upgraded bodyguards for spawned tribal cheiftains
    - New officer/NCO models for tribal and vanilla Rhun units
    - Improved strat models for Rhun captains/minor generals
    - A few new Rhun specific traits and ancillaries
    - Clan Horsemen replaced with new Gathmarig Riders
    - A new AOR unit, Balchoth Reavers, light cav/general unit
    - A new elite Loke-Rim unit, recruitable only after completing Unite the Clans!

Known issues and bugs:
    - Some tribal cheiftain ancillaries not working Fixed for 1.1
    - AOR units info cards/icons not displaying for slave faction Fixed for 1.1
    - Scripted slave armies not occupying cities, leaving them vulnerable to first turn exploit Fixed for 1.1
    - Forgot to disable perfect_spy and toggle_fow in script. Fixed in 1.1
    - Wrong ancillary name causing CTD on startup. Fixed in 1.2
    - Missing normal texture for new officers. Fixed for 1.3, download hotfix below
    - Adopted captains missing clan traits. Fixed for 1.3
    - Wrong ancillary trigger for variags Fixed for 1.4
    - free_upkeep missing for some new units Fixed for 1.4
    - ground type modifiers and heat stats for added troops dissimilar to other Rhun/TATW units Fixed for 1.4
    - aum rhun inf elephant modifier different than other sword-armed units Fixed for 1.4
    - charge distance for gathmarig levies & logath axemen 30 instead of 15 for all other infantry Fixed for 1.4
    - mongolian accent on clan horsemen instead of brygath scouts Fixed for 1.4
    - Spelling and typos in text files Fixed for 1.4
    - Uniques BGs for spawning tribal cheiftains not replenishing Fixed for 1.4
    Last edited by Spice Master; September 22, 2012 at 10:55 AM.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Unite the Clans! - Rhun immersion submod

I cannot think of any suggestions but I like this idea very much.

Somes basic ideas, maybe you've already thought about them :

- include the mercenary kandish units (with better characteristics)
    - some interaction with Mordor, sending money or units to show the allegiance.
    - why not give some regions their autonomy in exchange of units, like the Shire with Eriador in Baron Samedi's submod compilation.

Sounds like a good idea for a submod.

New unit should certainly be - the bearded guys with axes mentioned briefly in the books.
    Maybe a weak early game Easterling light horsemen unit.

Good luck with the mod.

@Green Partizan - Those are all great ideas. I'm not so familiar with how the autonomy scripts work yet, but I like the concept.

@Poosticks7 - I think I remember the mention of guys with axes, could you point me to the specific passage maybe? Also, a generic Easterling light horse unit is definitely in the works as the mounted Variag raiders will no longer be available initially.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

'The new host that we had tidings of has come first, from over the River by way of Andros, it is said. They are strong: battalions of Orcs of the Eye, and countless companies of Men of a new sort that we have not met before. Not tall, but broad and grim, bearded like dwarves, wielding great axes. Out of some savage land in the wide East they come, we deem. They hold the northward road; and many have passed on into Anórien. The Rohirrim cannot come.’
    - Ingold, commander of Gondor in RotK; The Siege of Gondor

There they had been mustered for the sack of the City and the rape of Gondor, waiting on the call of their Captain. He now was destroyed; but Gothmog the lieutenant of Morgul had flung them into the fray; Easterlings with axes, and Variags of Khand.
    - The Battle of Pelennor Fields
    Considering that by the way we do not know what kind of forces the Variags were, meaning you may expand them to be infantry beside the cavalry unit presented in the game.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Thanks. So here's what we know then: not tall, broad and grim, bearded, great axes, distinguished from the Variags of Khand. OK, I know just the thing then.

I'll probably have an initial version of this out later today or tonight.

Hell we don't even know for sure if the Variags were even human. But that's a different argument.

Would say we actually do know that from the Unfinished Tales as the Easterlings joined forces and nowhere in these battles any non-human foes are described;
    On the other hand the eastern Wainriders had been spreading southward, beyond Mordor, and were in conflict with the peoples of Khand and their neighbours further south. Even­tually a peace and alliance was agreed between these enemies of Gondor, and an attack was prepared that should be made at the same time from north and south.
    (...)
    The Wainriders had mustered a great host by the southern shores of the inland Sea of Rhûn, strengthened by men of their kinsfolk in Rhovanion and from their new allies in Khand.
    - UT; Cirion and Eorl and the friendship of Condor* and Rohan; The Northmen and the Wainriders
    *sic

Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Nowhere in those quotes does it directly say the people of Khand are men. They probably were intended to be but Tolkien never actually said they were anywhere as far as I know.

Anyway we shouldn't clog up Spice Master's thread with such discussions.

Now for my usual attempt to encourage some love for the orcs of the Misty Mountains. I was thinking that a similiar idea could be used for the orcsies. They are in desperate need of some new units in my opinion, and this uniting the tribes idea could work for them as well.

As far as I see it the Orcs of the MM faction consist of a loose collection of different tribes, you have the Moria Orcs, the Goblin Town guys, the Grey Mountain Orcs and I would argue the Orcs of Gunderbad (I think the OoMM should have more access to some of their stuff).

Something as simple as a couple of AOR units for each region would certainly spice up their roster a bit.

I hope someone does something like this one day. I would but even simple modding hurts my head .

Here we have it
    Many of the Wainriders now passed south of Mordor and made alliance with men of Khand and of Near Harad;
    - Appendix A; Gondor and the Heirs of Anárion
    Just so he don't get any wild ideas just hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    Here we have it, Just so he don't get any wild ideas just hehe
    Ngugi, you must have an encyclopedic brain, either that or you have all of the Tolkien books digitized for easy searching! Spice Master another very good modding idea here!

Quote Originally Posted by Poosticks7 View Post
    Now for my usual attempt to encourage some love for the orcs of the Misty Mountains. I was thinking that a similiar idea could be used for the orcsies. They are in desperate need of some new units in my opinion, and this uniting the tribes idea could work for them as well.

As far as I see it the Orcs of the MM faction consist of a loose collection of different tribes, you have the Moria Orcs, the Goblin Town guys, the Grey Mountain Orcs and I would argue the Orcs of Gunderbad (I think the OoMM should have more access to some of their stuff).
    I've actually been thinking about something along these lines for my next project, after Unite the Clans! and my Third Age Expanded unit pack release. I am leaning toward including is as the next stage in Angmar Rising; drop OOTM as a faction/merge with OOG and create an early game quest for OOG to unite the various goblin tribes of the mountains, with AOR Moria Orcs, etc as rewards. Rebalancing the campaign game might be a bit tricky.

Anyway this is a different project for a different thread.
    Last edited by Spice Master; September 07, 2012 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    Here we have itJust so he don't get any wild ideas just hehe
    Well that answers that one then.

Elfhelm's Avatar Biarchus

I must say SM you think big and I hope you can pull it all together! Just an idea and in many respects the whole South Eastern portion of Rhunic ME could be seen as Steppes so use their culture as a background kind of and use the mongols out of SS for some of the various tribes iff you can! I love their heavy infantry (its not metal either) which would be cool!

Actually I hope this doesn't distract from your work on expanding the south on mass and getting that great new map ingame,working and to us the gaming masses!

Actually heres a whacky off the bat idea that I once wrote a story on but iff you don't fancy the mongols for any Khand or (Rhunic) type tribe make them a threatening menace that invades from the Darklands across the sea mid to late campaign ,aggressive and totally neutral and possibly inspired by an Ungoliant like cult as she floated over there on a raft of palms in ages past and well thats another story! Im being kinda serious honestly! Would make your lovely new map and campaign even more interesting late game maybe!

The orcs of the Misty Mountains would be ideally suited to AOR type structuring as I always envisaged them as being a very diverse and varying speices, its just coming up with a believable and workable structure and then creating the units and stuff!

Im really quite excited about what your doing!

Don't mind take some other inspiration when it comes to these Easterlings, since it's a curious connection between the descriptions we get in RotK and a historical bunch of guys not connected to mongol/central Asian peoples at all Let me point at some things that combined give another input. I repeat:
    '... countless companies of Men of a new sort that we have not met before. Not tall, but broad and grim, bearded like dwarves, wielding great axes. Out of some savage land in the wide East they come, we deem.’
    - Ingold, commander of Gondor in RotK; The Siege of Gondor

He now was destroyed; but Gothmog the lieutenant of Morgul had flung them into the fray; Easterlings with axes, and Variags of Khand.
    - The Battle of Pelennor Fields
    While not tall, and Khand sound directly related to Central Asia's Samarkand exotic distant eastern place, and lastly the skin color differ, the other may just as well encourage another inspiraton:
    Guys with great beards, axes, from the east (for a british person) and named Variag?
    Now that sounds like the viking (and later saxons and others) Varyags/Variagoi/Varyagi [eng./russian/belarusian] warriors of the East Roman empire - and ofc thus the vikings of Scandinavia and in Russia, even when ignoring Byzantium

Last edited by Ngugi; September 07, 2012 at 05:08 PM.

@Ngugi - Nice. Except that JRRT seems to make a distinction between the "Easterlings with axes" and the "Variags of Khand" in that passage. I am building a viking-type faction to the north east of Rhun, for Third Age Expanded that will have units like these.

@Elfhelm - I am working with some of the Mongol and Cuman units from Rusichi and some others for the new AOR units. Don't worry, all of this work is going to be included in Third Age Expanded anyway. I'm getting close a partial release on that mod this weekend.

Oh yes, certainly he does, but I meant that these are the only two groups ever specified in LotR when it comes to Easterlings [both in apperence and name] and combined these utterly few descriptions are very familiar to a single not-so-distant-group of Easterlings [from a Brittish perspective; who was invaded from the East by vikings] than to any "far-away-esterlings" as mongol or other Central Asian peoples; that should not be overlooked and might tell much of Tolkiens perception on how a not-our-world-description where our normal prejudices of how a 'man from the east' should appear like.
    North/central RL european's would if considering that make perfect lore sense to have as inspiration to easterling units; not in skin color [but when do skincolor really matter], still to armour and weapons and such
    Last edited by Ngugi; September 07, 2012 at 08:21 PM.

Thanks, great input.

I'll at least be uploading unit previews tonight. Scripting/teating might take a little longer than I hoped.

New unit roster:

Clan Horsemen - (generic Easterling light cav to make up for loss of initial access to Variag Raiders)
    Gathmarig Levies - (generic Easterling peasant infantry to make up for loss of initial access to Balchoth Horde)
    Brygath Scouts - Light horse archers, recruitable after taking Morad
    Logath Axemen - Medium two handed axemen recruitable after taking North Rhun

Units with changed availability:

Balchoth Horde now recruitable only after taking Near Rhun or East Rhun
    Variag Raiders/Dismounts/Lancers now recruitable only after taking Upper Khand or Khand
    Last edited by Spice Master; September 08, 2012 at 12:48 AM.

New Unit Previews:

Moved to OP.
    Last edited by Spice Master; September 12, 2012 at 12:42 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast