Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Skyrim LoTR Mod (MERP) shut down by WB - does this have implications for TATW?

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

Default Re: Skyrim LoTR Mod (MERP) shut down by WB - does this have implications for TATW?

I'm more worried for MERP itself

Default Re: Skyrim LoTR Mod (MERP) shut down by WB - does this have implications for TATW?

Quote Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
    So why exactly are we all terrified that this will happen to TATW...?
    Because Mr. Mouth....because, after old man MBA closed down his racket in the old Ask Questions thread, Muffer, a.k.a. "The Spammin' Dutchman", wowed to get TATW (and our little chimps too).

He's been seen sailin' the interconnected webzorz, growing illegal tulips and selling them to the highest bidder in order to fund his campaign of butthurt against this mod. The word is he's planning to contact Warner Bros and spill the beans on our little operation here, see? So we gotta get 'im 'fore he gets us, see? Yeahhh...

If any of ya boys lays 'is eyes on this handsome dashing Dutch rogue, report him immediately. He is considered to be armed and extremely suave. He leaves an orange tulip whenever he pulls a job so keep an eye out and don't be stupid.

Wanted DDoS'd or alive.
    Reward: 100 likes on FB.
    Last edited by Jean=A=Luc; September 02, 2012 at 06:44 AM.

Dutch-Balrog's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post
    If any of ya boys lays 'is eyes on this handsome dashing Dutch rogue, report him immediately. He is considered to be armed and extremely suave. He leaves an orange tulip whenever he pulls a job so keep an eye out and don't be stupid.

Wanted DDoS'd or alive.
    It's worse, he will have some support from others too.

MasterBigAb's Avatar Valar Morghulis
    Content Emeritus

Because Mr. Mouth....because, after old man MBA closed down his racket in the old Ask Questions thread, Muffer, a.k.a. "The Spammin' Dutchman", wowed to get TATW (and our little chimps too).

He's been seen sailin' the interconnected webzorz, growing illegal tulips and selling them to the highest bidder in order to fund his campaign of butthurt against this mod. The word is he's planning to contact Warner Bros and spill the beans on our little operation here, see? So we gotta get 'im 'fore he gets us, see? Yeahhh...

Wanted DDoS'd or alive.

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

Wanted DDoS'd or alive.

Simply awesome, +rep, +win, +awesome

Bowmaster's Avatar Biarchus

Wanted DDoS'd or alive.

Rep+ awesome.
    (yeah, yeah, I'm fin player of TATW 3.2...

In Memoriam: Blackomur89

Save MERP and TATW!

Wanted DDoS'd or alive.

Ok can anyone tell me where the favorite option for posts is since I need one.

Dwarven Berserker's Avatar Campidoctor

JAL should get an own tv-show
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    this signature is completely pointless. have a nice day

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

Holy . WB's CEO should "Accidentally" lose his balls permanently for this.

if WB shuts down third age, let everyone just distribute it, they cant stop all of us!! bwahaha

but what WB can do, is incorporate lotr mods into the games which they will release without any acknowledgement from the mod teams. i have been playing another old game with a big modding community, Pirates if the Caribbean New Horizons. the game Pirates of the Caribbean by akella was full of bugs when it was released back in 2003, i believe that when people first modded it and released bug fixes and patches for free, the game developers released a new patch with the exact same codes released by the modding community without any form of acknowledgement . i hope that doesn't happen here..

Kahvipannu's Avatar Bring me Solo & wookie

I don't know, it sounds ridicilous. They were making a fan-project without means of gaining any income from it. Where do companies draw thw line that you are doing content that you shouldn't be? It's just a joke, they are just scared this will potentially eat sales from theyr own projects in the future, since Skyrim is a beast. I think TATW is safe, atleast for now, but so should be merp too.
    Last edited by Kahvipannu; September 03, 2012 at 09:25 AM.

its fairly clear what we have to do: either they buy the modder's mod and release it, which means paying for a mod, but still the modders will get credit and money for it, or else never buying anything WB again. after reading this ill even stop watching WB movies (this wont go well with my GF ofc)
    What the hell is wrong with you people?

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Quote Originally Posted by SRACon17 View Post
    but what WB can do, is incorporate lotr mods into the games which they will release without any acknowledgement from the mod teams. i have been playing another old game with a big modding community, Pirates if the Caribbean New Horizons. the game Pirates of the Caribbean by akella was full of bugs when it was released back in 2003, i believe that when people first modded it and released bug fixes and patches for free, the game developers released a new patch with the exact same codes released by the modding community without any form of acknowledgement . i hope that doesn't happen here..
    Haha, that's really cheap of them

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    Haha, that's really cheap of them
    DayZ for Arma II is being ripped off by WarZ, it happens all the time. Why can't these companies just hire people with a little creativity instead of crushing everyone else's. Not that all game companies are terrible, Bioware, CA, and Bethesda do a great job.

Praeses

Don't think we're in trouble here.

Quote Originally Posted by paradamed View Post
    WB is probably planning to release a RPG based on LOTR. They probably saw MERP as a threat since they would have to put a lot of effort into making a better game than a LOTR mod in the skyrim engine. They would have to at least release a game as good as the mod which I doubt it would happen. I doubt TATW is in peril since it is built for an old engine and devs really have put strategy games aside. I mean, with the exception of CA titles how many decent RTS have had major releases? Maybe only starcraft that I remember.
    Can't disagree with this. I'mm sure WB have licensed another suite of crap spinoff FPS (first-person-spellcaster) and lame-arse RTS (complete with dwarf-bear centaurs) games based on the Hobbit.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Quote Originally Posted by SRACon17 View Post
    if WB shuts down third age, let everyone just distribute it, they cant stop all of us!! bwahaha

Depending on the EULA for modding tools, it is possible. Skyrim's Creation Kit EULA states that Bethesda can take mod ideas, recreate them and sell them as DLC, and in some cases they can even use direct code from a mod.

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Screw Warner Brothers to eternal damnation in the fires of Mount Doom.

Quote Originally Posted by Athalwulf View Post
    Depending on the EULA for modding tools, it is possible. Skyrim's Creation Kit EULA states that Bethesda can take mod ideas, recreate them and sell them as DLC, and in some cases they can even use direct code from a mod.
    But Bethesda owns the platform aka Skyrim and WB owns the ideas from the Lotr movies. The likelyhood of them working together is zero. If the mod was creating its own material then Bethesda could take it but if they tried to publish a LOTR mod they would be stopped so fast it would be ridiculous. The idea of the two companies working together is laughable, that would require sharing profits.

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

oh, guys, there's a petition started, go out there and help
    http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...ate-greed.html

WB obviously does this because they fear their future games will sell less because of this great mod. One tip for WB: put more effort and creativity in your games. I for one dont think their loss of money will be big, because whether the mod gets made (or not), nobody playing (or not playing) the mod will buy their games anyway.

Oh and yes sign the petition posted above. Did it this morning