Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Skyrim LoTR Mod (MERP) shut down by WB - does this have implications for TATW?

Bowmaster's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Skyrim LoTR Mod (MERP) shut down by WB - does this have implications for TATW?

Quote Originally Posted by Magpire View Post
    It has always been the modding community that has shown WB how a Lore based LOTR game is supposed to be done...they are just money grabbing and dont care what the real fans want so are always doomed to fail at making LOTR games and because they see a potential threat from a good idea they want to kill it while its young...it wouldve been soooooooooo *%@$&*&*ing gooooood!...><
    Luckily TATW is not "young" anymore. But I don't get it, if they want more money out of their games, then make a good game. Maybe they can't make as good game as TATW, but at least they can make their games less suck. But I believe that their games do sell well. Do you know why the games based on movies and books suck? That's because their name is enough to get it sold! There are many good examples: Star Wars The Force Unleashed 2, Eragon and almost all the LotR-games. They all Suck!

PS: The game "Eragon" is made based on a book series called "Inheritor" or something like that. They are good books, can't best LotR, but would be worthy of TW-mod.

Edit: I actually started playing Skyrim yesterday. Such a great game! I can't believe how much BS did creating the game. I've read somewhere that the map is 14 kilometers long! I don't know how many missions there is, but believe, you won't get bored too soon. And the skills! There's many skills to try and get to level 100. Oh my! And the best part: The map. Of the very firdt Elder Scrolls. Is like 10 times bigger than Skyrim's!
    Last edited by Bowmaster; August 31, 2012 at 11:56 PM.
    (yeah, yeah, I'm fin player of TATW 3.2...

In Memoriam: Blackomur89

Save MERP and TATW!

Default Re: Skyrim LoTR Mod (MERP) shut down by WB - does this have implications for TATW?

Quote Originally Posted by Gimli10 View Post
    And they wouldn't send a cease & desist letter without proper reasoning.
    Not necessarily true. Big companies like WB always know that most individuals will not have the means to fight any legal action they bring, so they send letters hoping to score easy victories, counting on the individual giving up. They honestly don't want big court fights any more than we do unless it's truly a big financial deal. It's the same principle as traffic tickets; hardly anyone actually goes to court to contest them, but when they do, the cop hardly ever shows up.
    Last edited by Wolfeson; September 01, 2012 at 05:32 AM.

Evalation's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Lortano View Post
    So in other words, if WB made a turn based LotR strategy game, you guys could send them a Cease and Desist letter, because you got there first?
    There already is a turn based Lotr stradegy game, I know because i bought it a long time ago, its called The Battle for Middlearth 2. Whats scary is is that its just like TATW, you recruit troops send them to conqure the world or drive back the evil armies. you can even play a "War of the Ring" campaign which is like the fellowship campaign for TATW.

This game came out in 2006, when did TATW come out?.
    "I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion." - Alexander the Great

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

It's kinda like TATW, but everything is of worse quality and that's not a turnbased game, which TA is. The lore is completely screwed in BFME 1 & 2
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Muffer Nl's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Gimli10 View Post
    Honestly, you can all have your opinions about that the team has a lawyer and stuff like that...Facing a company like Warner Bro's have lawyers easily fight it back...And they wouldn't send a cease & desist letter without proper reasoning.
    *looks at current patent wars in the smart phone market*
    Yeah they would.

Honestly I think it's too late for WB to stop this mod. The development of the mod is pretty much completed and over a hundred thousands users have downloaded it already. What could they do? Sure they could have it removed from moddb or close the Third age section here, but outside of pissing off their fans what would they gain? The files would be re-hosted elsewhere, torrented, etc. It'd just end up giving publicity to the mod.

Quote Originally Posted by paradamed View Post
    WB is probably planning to release a RPG based on LOTR. They probably saw MERP as a threat since they would have to put a lot of effort into making a better game than a LOTR mod in the skyrim engine. They would have to at least release a game as good as the mod which I doubt it would happen. I doubt TATW is in peril since it is built for an old engine and devs really have put strategy games aside. I mean, with the exception of CA titles how many decent RTS have had major releases? Maybe only starcraft that I remember.
    Wasn't "War in the North" essentially their attempt at a LOTR RPG?

It is truly a shame that such a promising mod is going to be scraped for some poorly-designed The Hobbit-based video game.

Bowmaster's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Evalation View Post
    There already is a turn based Lotr stradegy game, I know because i bought it a long time ago, its called The Battle for Middlearth 2. Whats scary is is that its just like TATW, you recruit troops send them to conqure the world or drive back the evil armies. you can even play a "War of the Ring" campaign which is like the fellowship campaign for TATW.

This game came out in 2006, when did TATW come out?.
    I've played LotR BFME 2. It really isn't anything like TATW. Strategy doesn't mean anything, you just have to get as many troops as possible in the given amount of time. "War of the Ring"? Bah! That sucks! No rebels, no towns, just a field, you can only build two buildings in a region etc etc. And they don't have as much men as TATW has. 15 men in one unit. In TATW it's 150 men in one unit. Ten times more! And you have to create the units at battlefield, same with your kingdom. And there is no Rohan and Gondor factions. There's just "Men", which are basically just Gondor. Only thing that makes it Men not Gondor is that there is Rohan "Heroes", and you can recruit Rohirrim with level two stables. Etc etc etc...
    (yeah, yeah, I'm fin player of TATW 3.2...

In Memoriam: Blackomur89

Save MERP and TATW!

one does not simply shut down merp. i don't know about you, but i will boycot WB from now on. not that it is going to make any difference, but i will feel better

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

I liked BFME2, but after EA shut down its multiplayer, the game just... died. Multiplayer was the bread and butter of the game, including hundreds of different tactics and strategies you could use. Plus all the "defeat 100 waves of orcs with your custom heroes" maps, and tower wars, just loved the multiplayer. Not anymore though.

TATW's good, but honestly I enjoyed BFMEII's multiplayer a lot more than I've ever enjoyed TATW.

Dwarven Berserker's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros View Post
    It's kinda like TATW, but everything is of worse quality and that's not a turnbased game, which TA is. The lore is completely screwed in BFME 1 & 2
    BFME 2 had War of the Ring mode, which was turn based. Though it wasn't very complex. Also, BFME 1 is almost entirely based on the movies and stays very true to them, so it's not much more lore inaccurate than the movies (except for some details in the main campaign ).

@Maiar93: BFME 2 multiplayer was a lot of fun indeed (I've played it a lot. I even used to be a pro at it (even though I say it myself )). It had its flaws and imbalances, but it still was a load of fun to play
    Last edited by Dwarven Berserker; September 01, 2012 at 05:21 AM.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    this signature is completely pointless. have a nice day

Quote Originally Posted by FrightfulBridge View Post
    It is truly a shame that such a promising mod is going to be scraped for some poorly-designed The Hobbit-based video game.
    I cant wait to see the game WB release in this mods place...and then to NOT buy it^^'

Dutch-Balrog's Avatar Domesticus

This has been known for like 8 days now i think. The MERP team has a chance to win this process. Everything is made by themself, and they do not get any profits from it. Maybe the only thing that 'might' be copyrighted is the name.. It's just a fact. However, i also wanted to make a thread about this to ask for the people on this forum to support them with this! No-one wants that piece of art to be cast away because it's just way better then WB's LotR games, wich is always a piece of trash. I mean serious.. Guardians of Middle Earth? They were probably out of ideas and didn't have the brain to think about something epic like MERP.. Not the community's fault..
    Anyways, pls support MERP, all i can ask.

And for TATW.
    TATW was released before WB got it's license. So they don't have the right to shut it down i think, so nothing to worry about (yet).
    Last edited by Dutch-Balrog; September 01, 2012 at 09:23 AM.

Rhaenys Targaryen's Avatar Campidoctor

One does not simply halt a LotR mod...

(WB WILL BURN IN THE BLACK DEPTHS OF HELL FOR THIS BLASPHEMY)

spread the word
    #SaveMERP

Well said dutch. I myself find myself conlicted. On one hand i was so looking forward to the hobbit and after realiseing warner bros are the distributers, i feel utterly sick. Though i want to watch teh film, my anger and hatred of warner bros now means im just gonna have to boycott the hobbit. A friend will probably give me a pirate copy or something coz theres no way im gonna pay money to see it if war bros have something to do with it..

I hope teh MERP team dont give up and continue to fight.. We are all behind them....
    Last edited by StealthFox; September 01, 2012 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Double Post

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

guys, make sure to help MERP:

use the twitter hashtag #SaveMERP to inform everyone;
    We can also show our support by liking and sharing these pages and posts on Facebook!:
    http://www.facebook.com/ToSaveMerp
    http://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarthRoleplaying

Let's show these corporations they can't do whatever they want and get away with this!

P.S. Hold The Line
    Last edited by Beregond; September 01, 2012 at 02:15 PM.

Does anyone expect the Streisand effect will come into play?

The Mouth's Avatar Ducenarius

So why exactly are we all terrified that this will happen to TATW...?

Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulūk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.