Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Skyrim LoTR Mod (MERP) shut down by WB - does this have implications for TATW?

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Skyrim LoTR Mod (MERP) shut down by WB - does this have implications for TATW?

Quote Originally Posted by Sorandir View Post
    I agree with you on that. I was however impressed with Frodo & Gimli's voice actors, and hearing Ian Holm as Bilbo was nice. Not just the corny bland ending dialogue, but how it also just stops abruptly without giving you the option to go back and do some last minute things...it just stops right there and says "Congratulations! You beat the game! Now you can replay it!"
    What was the ending, and why was it so bad?
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

Default Re: Skyrim LoTR Mod (MERP) shut down by WB - does this have implications for TATW?

Quote Originally Posted by Feanaro Curufinwe View Post
    What was the ending, and why was it so bad?
    Basically Agandaur (the bad guy) just exploded and the "good" characters walked away and that was literally it. It was terrible and very anti climactic. Ruined the game for me.
    "Looks like meat's back on the menu, boys!"

Basically Agandaur (the bad guy) just exploded and the "good" characters walked away and that was literally it. It was terrible and very anti climactic. Ruined the game for me.
    Sounds bad.

you forgot the dragon

Kahvipannu's Avatar Bring me Solo & wookie

Come on guys, don't talk about movie-spoilers here, or atleast use spoiler-tags. Not everyone has readed Hobbit, or seen the movie yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahvipannu View Post
    Come on guys, don't talk about movie-spoilers here, or atleast use spoiler-tags. Not everyone has readed Hobbit, or seen the movie yet.
    I think you're thinking of another Dragon.

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by Kahvipannu View Post
    Agreed. This thread is about Skyrim and MERP. Please remain on topic.

Quote Originally Posted by StealthFox View Post
    Agreed. This thread is about Skyrim and MERP. Please remain on topic.
    Ummm... Nobody said anything about the Hobbit.

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Irrelevant. The posts were still off topic.

Now, back on topic. Last warning.

So any news about the mod?

Bowmaster's Avatar Biarchus

If there would be, @ztree would probably post it.
    (yeah, yeah, I'm fin player of TATW 3.2...

In Memoriam: Blackomur89

Save MERP and TATW!

Yup, I'm still hanging around and am waiting for the first opportunity to post news about what's going on.
    At the moment there's still communications with WB.

By the way a little off topic: What do you guys think, if one were to make a similar mod that plays during the first age (hypothetical), what would be the best timeframe for it? In role playing games you certainly need a good time to play in (where the world around you has many things to offer)?
    "The ol' Witch-king is a merry fellow,
    Dark black his cowl is, and his crown is yellow..."

Just before the battle of the sudden flame? Aka the Dagor Bragollach, here's the wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagor_Bragollach

Basically Morgoth attacks each of the 3 major Noldor houses at the same time, preventing them coming to each others aid and kicking their butt for a while, fighting also comes to doriath and the edain also get involved. Morgoth originally "wins" by breaking the siege of anband.

But eventually (15 years later) the elves and their allies get their together and fight back and form the leaguer of Maedhros, eventually besieging Angband again. But that sort of leads to the Nirnaeth Arnoediad.
    Last edited by Curufin; January 21, 2013 at 01:20 PM.

Yep, that would be best.

But hey, I just remembered: didn't WB also decline your request of private work? It's fully legal to, say, insult Omaba from being a drunkard, Curse New York city, make a LotR mod (hehe), all this can be done, as long as it is not made public. They can't stop you from doing it privately!

Save MERP and TATW!

Quote Originally Posted by Curufin View Post
    Just before the battle of the sudden flame? Aka the Dagor Bragollach, here's the wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagor_Bragollach

Basically Morgoth attacks each of the 3 major Noldor houses at the same time, preventing them coming to each others aid and kicking their butt for a while, fighting also comes to doriath and the edain also get involved. Morgoth originally "wins" by breaking the siege of anband.

But eventually (15 years later) the elves and their allies get their together and fight back and form the leaguer of Maedhros, eventually besieging Angband again. But that sort of leads to the Nirnaeth Arnoediad.
    That's an interesting timeframe for sure. The only real difficulty would be in translating the span of several years/decades into gameplay (remember the war of the ring during the third age is easier to show gameplay wise). If there's a good way of doing that, then it would be revolutionary of course. I don't know of a rpg where you can play a character over several years let alone an entire human life.
    But how to implement that? Maybe have some kind of options to skip ingame months/years and continue playing after that (with resulting new quests and environments). Maybe having it divided into "chapters", where you have to finish a certain amount of quests or objectives and then have the option to start the next "chapter" which takes place several years later??
    That concept would be especially interesting if you decide to play as an elf (Noldor?) and your "chapters" span the entire time of the first age (battle under the stars to war of wrath)?
    wow what a game that would be!
    But it would be a lot of work, just imagine implementing the different human npc generations which get born and die as you go through the "chapters", from fathers to sons to grandsons to grandgrandsons and so on (coming and passing like leaves in the wind )
    I guess it would be easier if you play as a human character and "just" live one life span?
    But I would totally love the Noldor game play experience!

Sorry if I went on too long, I guess I'm rambling.

Bowmaster
    But hey, I just remembered: didn't WB also decline your request of private work?
    Yes, private work on anything that falls under the copyright which WB holds. The first age isn't part of that. That's Tolkien Estate's business.
    But I'm in doubt they would like a mod/game from the Silmarillion (and maybe C&D it too ) (the TE that is)
    "The ol' Witch-king is a merry fellow,
    Dark black his cowl is, and his crown is yellow..."

They cannot decline private work, it's legal to use LotR materials in private!!!

Save MERP and TATW!

Quote Originally Posted by ztree View Post
    That's an interesting timeframe for sure. The only real difficulty would be in translating the span of several years/decades into gameplay (remember the war of the ring during the third age is easier to show gameplay wise). If there's a good way of doing that, then it would be revolutionary of course. I don't know of a rpg where you can play a character over several years let alone an entire human life.
    But how to implement that? Maybe have some kind of options to skip ingame months/years and continue playing after that (with resulting new quests and environments). Maybe having it divided into "chapters", where you have to finish a certain amount of quests or objectives and then have the option to start the next "chapter" which takes place several years later??
    That concept would be especially interesting if you decide to play as an elf (Noldor?) and your "chapters" span the entire time of the first age (battle under the stars to war of wrath)?
    wow what a game that would be!
    But it would be a lot of work, just imagine implementing the different human npc generations which get born and die as you go through the "chapters", from fathers to sons to grandsons to grandgrandsons and so on (coming and passing like leaves in the wind )
    I guess it would be easier if you play as a human character and "just" live one life span?
    But I would totally love the Noldor game play experience!

Sorry if I went on too long, I guess I'm rambling.

Yes, private work on anything that falls under the copyright which WB holds. The first age isn't part of that. That's Tolkien Estate's business.
    But I'm in doubt they would like a mod/game from the Silmarillion (and maybe C&D it too ) (the TE that is)
    It would be better to start with the first Kinslaying, or alternatively the Dagor Aglareb. Why with the Kinslaying? Feanor is around

Why in chapters like that? I'd like as one simple life of an Elf, Dwarf, Man, of a Half-Elf.

Save MERP and TATW!

Quote Originally Posted by Bowmaster View Post
    Why in chapters like that? I'd like as one simple life of an Elf, Dwarf, Man, of a Half-Elf.
    You do know Half-Elves or Peredhil are not a common occurrence, don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by ztree View Post
    actually there is a couple of rpg's which do exactly that (eg dragon age 2 in which the main characters life is divided into 3 chapters 10 years apart each from the other) but i seriously doubt they would be highly moddable as TES games are