Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Skyrim LoTR Mod (MERP) shut down by WB - does this have implications for TATW?

Default Re: Skyrim LoTR Mod (MERP) shut down by WB - does this have implications for TATW?

I imagine its because WB has failed time and time again to make a decent LoTR game and fears any kinds of possible competition in this regard

where as games like Company of heroes HAD a Russian faction mod long before CoH2 came about, which is specifically about the new Russian faction, but they arent afraid of suddenly competing with the mod since these are fans of their games and they understand what makes their games succeed.

Default Re: Skyrim LoTR Mod (MERP) shut down by WB - does this have implications for TATW?

So what has happened at the end with MERP ?

Did the Tolkien Estate won the trial against WB ?

Can the MERP team continue modding ?

I have been readig this thread and wonder the same. specially now that i want to try that mod for skyrim!
    Fighting with the Wisdom, the Bosnian Kingdom

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by BazzBrother View Post
    I imagine its because WB has failed time and time again to make a decent LoTR game and fears any kinds of possible competition in this regard

where as games like Company of heroes HAD a Russian faction mod long before CoH2 came about, which is specifically about the new Russian faction, but they arent afraid of suddenly competing with the mod since these are fans of their games and they understand what makes their games succeed.
    And thq has filed for bankruptcy so I don't think they will be able to sue

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

So what has happened at the end with MERP ?
    We are not at the end yet. Maybe soon, but not yet. Things are still up in the air, it could go either way really. WB are at least talking to us again, maybe something has changed their mind after all. I would love to go into more detail, but there are reasons why I can`t tell you more. Be assured that I will make a post in this thread, clearing things up, once it`s decided (maybe it will be interesting for TATW devs to read the final analysis).
    Did the Tolkien Estate won the trial against WB ?
    It`s still going on, from what I`ve heard. They haven`t settled the issue out of court yet and that can mean a lot of things, maybe they will go through with the legal battle over a few years. Who knows. But I would be interested to know if WB had to stop development of their games as well, due to being sued by Tolkien Estate.
    Can the MERP team continue modding ?
    Yes and no. We can, for example, continue to mod things that are unrelated to middle earth per se (since we are Skyrim modders after all). I, for example, continue to make 3d models of trees and vegetation and stuff (will be released as modders resources, independently). If Merp can continue one day, these models would benefit the mod of course (middle earth needs tons of different vegetational stuff, as you can imagine). Other devs can make independent mods that overhaul the combat system, for example (would be included to Merp as well, if we are allowed to continue).

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Thanks for the update ztree. It is good to hear that there is talking going on and fully understandable that you can't discuss it. Fingers crossed.

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

Let's see what comes out of this. Thanks for the update, ztree, and good luck.
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

Why are you stopping work? You aren't selling any products they can't sue you.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Yes they can if their copy righted material is used and published, especially since it may be accused for having a negative economical effect (competition to official games) for the right holders.
    And Fair Use applies to education, reviews and media newswork (thus generally it's to 95% completly pointless as defence when people wave it like a shield for whatever they are sharing on the web) and few other areas. A game of this sort naturally will have little chance, at best, to hold if the matter would to be tested in court.
    It do not mean I do not hold my thumbs for this, only that it's not as easy as that the corporations can do nothing

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

What I still can't understand is how MERP came to their attention.
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

Steam somehow, IIRC?
    And a mod avilable trough that medium is a big potential competitor after all.

Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

At least TATW is safe.
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

Quote Originally Posted by ztree View Post
    We are not at the end yet. Maybe soon, but not yet. Things are still up in the air, it could go either way really. WB are at least talking to us again, maybe something has changed their mind after all. I would love to go into more detail, but there are reasons why I can`t tell you more. Be assured that I will make a post in this thread, clearing things up, once it`s decided (maybe it will be interesting for TATW devs to read the final analysis).
    Good luck and all the best. Looking forward to the (favourable) conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    Steam somehow, IIRC?
    And a mod avilable trough that medium is a big potential competitor after all.
    I have to correct you there, Ngugi: Our mod was never intended for Steam, because of our file size and amount of changes to the core game. It would not have been possible to distribute Merp through Steam, for the technical reasons. And WB seems to have known that from the beginning.
    So it must have been something else.
    My personal theory is that they are well aware of all the major lotr-mods out there, but they know they can`t do anything about it anymore, once the mod is released. So trying to stop a mod that is already downloaded over a 100k times, is a fruitless endeavour. It would be far too troublesome for them, to be worth it.
    I think our "mistake" was to be unfinished yet.

And thanks for all your best wishes and support, everyone!
    Last edited by ztree; December 27, 2012 at 12:53 PM.

It is sad dawn in cyberspace, whn game publishers are threatened by modding communities who if anything are promoting the game, I always tought of modders as tribute bands. People do it for love damn it! Good luck, hope to see your mod finished.
    Fighting with the Wisdom, the Bosnian Kingdom

I think the whole DLC concept of later years has turned developers against modding, sad but logic, they want folk to buy DLC's and not play and make free mods :S

I think it's because they get LOTR rights , and since you were creating a huge mod based on both movies and books , at a non-profit purpose , they had to stop you in any mean . Moreover , they might have seen a rival a Skyrim , which is already extremely well-known in the gamers's community , and if you create such a mod , that will drive away their potential customers from their LOTR video games , and thus , see you as a rival .

WB has nothing to do with Skyrim and mods are a pretty big part of Bethesda's business model.

Aldor's Avatar Campidoctor

Especially because most recent LotR games are very bad.

Alcohol addicts want alcohol. They'll take a sour wine if they must, but will drink the fruity one from 1990 if it's available instead. Even more so when the latter is free and the other one bears a heavy price tag.

Between WB and Tolkien Estate. My prognose: will take on for 1-3 years and ends with an internal agreement and payment to TE

If MERP ports back to oblivion, WB might already have less issues with it. Anyway I wish MERP good luck and let's hope for a good outcome.

I don't really understand why T.E.S. team doesn't do anything about it. It could really add to Skyrim sales.
    Last edited by Aldor; December 27, 2012 at 02:31 PM.
    Retired GS member, admin and local moderator in Hotseat Subforum. Voted best TATW admin.

You misread my message . I never wrote WB has something to do with Skyrim , but this game can be a great rival if they want to make a RPG . Plus seen their mods , it's worse .