Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Skyrim LoTR Mod (MERP) shut down by WB - does this have implications for TATW?

Dwarven Berserker's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Skyrim LoTR Mod (MERP) shut down by WB - does this have implications for TATW?

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor of Hell View Post
    They can sue King Kong/TATW team for using the copyrighted designs, names, etc.

They can probably sue TWC for hosting it but I am no expert on this .
    You can sue pretty much everyone for pretty much everything The queston is, will it be worth it for WB to spend tons of money on trying to bring TATW down? I think not.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    this signature is completely pointless. have a nice day

Default Re: Skyrim LoTR Mod (MERP) shut down by WB - does this have implications for TATW?

Some news today : The Tolkien Esate attacked in justice Warner Bros to have abuse of their rights, especially about video games:
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr...er-bros-393212

page not found but that's great news i guess.

Eönwë's Avatar Semisalis

WB just got themself sued by Tolkien's family, will post a link in a sec...

EDIT: http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/...s-online-games

SirEyeball's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
    WB just got themself sued by Tolkien's family, will post a link in a sec...

EDIT: http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/...s-online-games
    If The Tolkien family wins this then gaming rights are up for grabs and all mods should be saved as far as the rights go untill someone buys those rights. It will not however save the movie rights so any film clips and graphics taken directly from the movies are still a problem.
    I watch and Learn

Gallus's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by SirEyeball View Post
    If The Tolkien family wins this then gaming rights are up for grabs and all mods should be saved as far as the rights go untill someone buys those rights. It will not however save the movie rights so any film clips and graphics taken directly from the movies are still a problem.
    I'm no legal expert, but this would appear to affect only things that are purely digital and have no "tangible" component. So things like mobile phone apps and such appear to fall under that, but video games that come on a physical disc would not. At least that is my laymen's interpretation.

I've no idea if the Estate are only in it for the money or not but I hope they win regardless. The franchise has been milked way too hard and the slot machines are just terribly poor taste not to mention that they basically market gambling to children.

Making LoTR/Hobbit slot machines is like opening a kosher restaurant and naming it Auschwitz.

Quote Originally Posted by brasswire View Post
    I'm no legal expert, but this would appear to affect only things that are purely digital and have no "tangible" component. So things like mobile phone apps and such appear to fall under that, but video games that come on a physical disc would not. At least that is my laymen's interpretation.
    Nah, it's alright, with the multiplication of internet-based downloads and such, a CD disc containing a game is less and less considered as a product and more and more as a support for the real product, the "untangible" digital content. Big companies supported that transition for at least ten years as it's much more profitable for them to sell a non-transferable end user license to use a digital product, than selling an actual physical item you can use and lend and resell as you please.

As you sow so shall you reap

Eat this, WB
    "GB2/HoME"
    I have deduced, from your knowledge of Middle-Earth background, that you read scrupulously History of Middle Earth. Given your close-minded opinion on various aspects of Tolkien lore in detriment of TATW interest and gameplay, I believe that
    you are better suited to that reading activity, and suggest you go back to it.
    I guess it could work for some guys with Battle of Middle Earth as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Khay View Post
    Nah, it's alright, with the multiplication of internet-based downloads and such, a CD disc containing a game is less and less considered as a product and more and more as a support for the real product, the "untangible" digital content. Big companies supported that transition for at least ten years as it's much more profitable for them to sell a non-transferable end user license to use a digital product, than selling an actual physical item you can use and lend and resell as you please.

As you sow so shall you reap

Eat this, WB
    That was also how I read it so thx I didn't need to come up with a reply myself
    I watch and Learn

So, what effects will that have to Merp? If Tolkien Estate really wins, wouldn't that mean, as the mod is non-physical, that WB has no rights whatsoever to forbid them the making, so Merp could continue as long as the Estate doesn't send them a cease & desist themselves?

Vifarc's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post
    Making LoTR/Hobbit slot machines is like opening a kosher restaurant and naming it Auschwitz.
    Like the ingame store in FreeToPlay LordOfTheRingOnline: anarchist/royalist Tolkien must be crying in his tomb.
    > > Divide&Conquer submod user, playing RealmOfLothlõrien (ThirdAge mod). < <
    My small products here.

Quote Originally Posted by Vifarc View Post
    Like the ingame store in FreeToPlay LordOfTheRingOnline: anarchist/royalist Tolkien must be crying in his tomb.
    I don't think Turbine fully realized the irony of using their previous Gollum artwork to change the One Ring into TP (Turbine Points).

http://www.dondecomprarbarato.com/lo...mage-42409.jpg

LOL Well I certainly didn't expect this to happen, but I like it nonetheless. I'm certain the developers of MERP are sitting in front of their computers now, grinning
    Let's hope the Tolkien Estate wins

The Mouth's Avatar Ducenarius

It would seem the tables have indeed turned gentlemen .

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

Two rich companies suing each other.
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

Louis XVI's Avatar Campidoctor

Well I'm studying international law so I might be able to help the team if they get sued for copyright infringement, lets just hope it never happens (and I still have 4 year of study to go) Has there ever been a MTW 2 mod that has been closed down for copyright infringement, except of course music submods (I know those are being taken down now and then) ?
    Last edited by Louis XVI; November 25, 2012 at 07:29 AM.

Trailhog250's Avatar Semisalis

Power. To. The. People.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailhog250 View Post
    Power. To. The. People.
    Get back on your post and update CRM You don't have time for these frivolities
    I watch and Learn

Quote Originally Posted by Trailhog250 View Post
    Power. To. The. People.
    At first I misread that as "Power to the Pope"