Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Skyrim LoTR Mod (MERP) shut down by WB - does this have implications for TATW?

Default Re: Skyrim LoTR Mod (MERP) shut down by WB - does this have implications for TATW?

Quote Originally Posted by Erthad View Post
    Why not write Stephen Colbert? He's a pretty big LotR fan so something might come from that.
    Agreed, his popular persuasion world work.

If PJ could somehow be contacted, or petitioned, I have no doubt a man like him would gladly let the mod continue. One word from him and WB will back down.

Default Re: Skyrim LoTR Mod (MERP) shut down by WB - does this have implications for TATW?

Quote Originally Posted by RuleBritannia View Post
    One word from him and WB will back down.
    I seriously doubt that.

SirEyeball's Avatar Miles

Would there be any issue if the movie bites and pictures taken from the film were removed? It should be possible to find artwork suitable elsewhere if that is the case I think.
    I watch and Learn

Gondolin's Avatar Tiro

I sadly don't think so.

BlakSCody_4ger's Avatar Laetus

I believe creativity shouldn't be stifled, if I was the main person heading TATW I would try to encourage everyone to help support the allowance of MERP to continue its development as much as possible, I would be trying to band other Modding lotr groups who are doing the same together, power in numbers, the more there are, the less likely to be destroyed. Modders shouldn't be afraid of game producing companies, modders are what create the games extra fan base after its initial year release, they are what keep the games going, modders improve them, there is a quote from V for Vendetta that I think would be kinda appropriate in this instance:
    "People shouldn't be afraid of their government, governments should be afraid of their people"
    or in this case:
    "Modders shouldn't be afraid of Big Companies, Big Companies should be afraid of the Modders"
    Band together! Give each other support! Show those companies who the real Developers are, the ones who pour their hearts and souls into what they develop!

I am a real gamer and a real lotr fan, I really believe that the only place where good lotr games come from is from the modding community, the modding community is the only place where the peoples thoughts and opinions are take into account.

Default Save the Skyrim LOTR Mod!

I read somewhere in this forum about how the LOTR mod for Skyrim had been sent a cease an desist letter from Warner Brothers, but I recently found out there was a petition to save it!

http://www.gopetition.com.au/petitio...ate-greed.html

Sign the petition if you want to see the mod created.

Default Re: Save the Skyrim LOTR Mod!

There was a thread about this awhile ago, you can see it here http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=559804

Yeah, I`m just trying to get a few people to sign the petition though.

We have TATW, do we need any others ? ... the ring-orarii only has one master, it serves no other ..

I'm a wargamer, not FPS-fan

R
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

Kahvipannu's Avatar Bring me Solo & wookie

Quote Originally Posted by RuleBritannia View Post
    If PJ could somehow be contacted, or petitioned, I have no doubt a man like him would gladly let the mod continue. One word from him and WB will back down.
    You really think PJ would turn against WB? He isn't stupid. He worked a ton to get to the position he now is, last thing he would do is to send a message where he criticises the hand who is funding him to others, not to mention other problems it would cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorarii View Post
    We have TATW, do we need any others ? ... the ring-orarii only has one master, it serves no other ..

I'm a wargamer, not FPS-fan

R
    That's a bit arrogant. Ofcourse there is need for LOTR to expand for other genres, people like different, and some multiple genres.

That's like saying do we need Battlefield 3 since we have World in conflict...?

Quote Originally Posted by Kahvipannu View Post
    You really think PJ would turn against WB? He isn't stupid. He worked a ton to get to the position he now is, last thing he would do is to send a message where he criticises the hand who is funding him to others, not to mention other problems it would cause.
    I think he would if MERP got enough support behind it's partition, he is that kind of guy, also WB would be fools to go against one of their best directors, they'd almost be asking for a target to be painted on the back of their heads calling some of the best movie actors against them that were in the lotr films, they wouldn't want that kind of trouble as that would attract the media and many more lotr enthusiasts to back up MERP. More trouble for them going against one of their own.

Quote Originally Posted by BlakSCody_4ger View Post
    I think he would if MERP got enough support behind it's partition, he is that kind of guy, also WB would be fools to go against one of their best directors, they'd almost be asking for a target to be painted on the back of their heads calling some of the best movie actors against them that were in the lotr films, they wouldn't want that kind of trouble as that would attract the media and many more lotr enthusiasts to back up MERP. More trouble for them going against one of their own.
    Er, what do you think they're afraid Jackson would do? Threaten to ruin the Hobbit finale as payback? Do you really expect that, upon hearing of MERP, Jackson would fall so far head-over-heels in love that he'd threaten his relations with the multimillion dollar company employing him?

Fact is, in this hypothetical battle, Jackson has a lot more to lose than WB's board of directors. And to see him start the huge amount of drama that you're describing over a single mod project which he's never heard about just doesn't seem logical.

Quote Originally Posted by Garriath View Post
    Er, what do you think they're afraid Jackson would do? Threaten to ruin the Hobbit finale as payback? Do you really expect that, upon hearing of MERP, Jackson would fall so far head-over-heels in love that he'd threaten his relations with the multimillion dollar company employing him?

Fact is, in this hypothetical battle, Jackson has a lot more to lose than WB's board of directors. And to see him start the huge amount of drama that you're describing over a single mod project which he's never heard about just doesn't seem logical.
    That was just a smart arse comment
    Jackson holds the almost equal if not more power, if you can't see that then your just a fool, also I said "if" it got enough support which would obviously require more than what it is now by at least 80,000 at the very minimum on the partition, also he is that kind of guy that would help.

I'm sorry, but that makes no sense. PJ is a director, he's not a god. If I was employee of the month at my job, and I demanded we get free pizza at work from my boss, he would probably laugh at me.

What i don't understand is why the development team obeyed to the C&D letter in the first place. You can't negociate with someone for a middle ground if you already gave them what they want at first. As already said, WB claim is sketchy at best, they should just have ignored the letter, found a lawyer, hosted their website to the principalty of Sealand, and made sure their real names appeared nowhere (which should have been done in the first place, in any case), and only then start considering finding a middle ground with, if not just simply ignoring, WB.
    "GB2/HoME"
    I have deduced, from your knowledge of Middle-Earth background, that you read scrupulously History of Middle Earth. Given your close-minded opinion on various aspects of Tolkien lore in detriment of TATW interest and gameplay, I believe that
    you are better suited to that reading activity, and suggest you go back to it.
    I guess it could work for some guys with Battle of Middle Earth as well...

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BlakSCody_4ger View Post
    That was just a smart arse comment
    Jackson holds the almost equal if not more power, if you can't see that then your just a fool, also I said "if" it got enough support which would obviously require more than what it is now by at least 80,000 at the very minimum on the partition, also he is that kind of guy that would help.
    That was just a comment made by someone doesn't think realistic. You want Jackson to be on your side, and therefor he will muster the cavalry at your him, supposing you sign something enough of times.

80 000 is very little people, especially as many has signed two or three times. If I was a superhero director I'd want at least a couple of hundred thousand signatures
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

SIgns on a list will do nothing, since it's an unspecific and thus easily ignored demand.
    The best way, and possibly the only one to really make them take head beside a media burst out or jurdical court decisions is to create a boycott. This is a matter of money, not artstic integirty, ownership or anything else, it's a simply case of profit.
    It do not have to be that big a deal, a co-op ignoring of some DLC to a game, or any small game, of theirs, but if they see they lose 50 000 sales then you can bet they consider what implications a fulfilled hindering of the mod will have on other sales.
    Not easy to organize I admit, but the most powerful tool from the consumers/players side.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

SirEyeball's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    SIgns on a list will do nothing, since it's an unspecific and thus easily ignored demand.
    The best way, and possibly the only one to really make them take head beside a media burst out or jurdical court decisions is to create a boycott. This is a matter of money, not artstic integirty, ownership or anything else, it's a simply case of profit.
    It do not have to be that big a deal, a co-op ignoring of some DLC to a game, or any small game, of theirs, but if they see they lose 50 000 sales then you can bet they consider what implications a fulfilled hindering of the mod will have on other sales.
    Not easy to organize I admit, but the most powerful tool from the consumers/players side.
    Finally someone hit the nail on the head. It is all about money. Even if Peter Jackson and the entire cast of LOTR went to WB and spoke privately for a mod nothing would happen as Peter Jackson or any other celebrity for that matter has zero to no power over the multi billion dollar firm that is WB. Hell Peter Jackson wasn't even their first choice for doing the Hobbit. If on the other hand the case ended up in the media and WB got painted as an evil money grabbing organization that would hurt sales and get their attention. It is a matter of public opinion/money and 100.000 signatures on an obscure web page would do nothing. The best course of action would either be a very public lawsuit or getting the news casts involved. Best way of doing that is to have a reporter or reporters on your side. Start of in a small country and let the news spread from there without doing anything stupid like picketing WBs offices or egging their cars. Once the news airs I bet WB will be more amiable in their conversation. Failing that there is always the very public lawsuit preferably in the US with a jury as they tend to go for the little man. the latter is expensive and this is where the obscure web page suddenly becomes a good idea namely for raising the main issue - Money.
    I watch and Learn

Another company to add to my boycott list. In practice, it means that I will, as a consumer, to the best of my ability, and by all means, avoid doing anything that results in WB getting even a single cent of money.

Aldor's Avatar Campidoctor

I think that this has been said before, but maybe porting back to oblivion might lower the pressure. Oblivion is older and the people who liked this kind of gameplay are likely to own their copy so sales wouldn't rise. This way any economic reason could be nullified.