Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Skyrim LoTR Mod (MERP) shut down by WB - does this have implications for TATW?

Gallus's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Skyrim LoTR Mod (MERP) shut down by WB - does this have implications for TATW?

Quote Originally Posted by Bowmaster View Post
    The reason why the games are so bad, is that it's name is enough to make it sell. Think that you are a dedicated LotR-fan. You see a new LotR-game coming on stores. It's name is "Middle-Earth: the adventures of the Fellowship". Will you buy it or not? And the answer is... YES! You just can't get your hands off of it.
    Yeah, I did that once and will not make the same mistake ever again. It was LotR Conquest. I still cry myself to sleep when I remember that I spent my pocket money on it...

Dwarven Berserker's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Skyrim LoTR Mod (MERP) shut down by WB - does this have implications for TATW?

Quote Originally Posted by Gallus View Post
    Yeah, I did that once and will not make the same mistake ever again. It was LotR Conquest. I still cry myself to sleep when I remember that I spent my pocket money on it...
    Lol yeah I remember that one. They didn't even bother to change the mechanics from star wars battlefront Like trolls that are literally just vericles that are standing around and literally do nothing until someone "gets in"

But yeah, Lotr conquest is an EA game, made by the kings of lazyness and money-grabbing themselves, what did ya expect?
    Last edited by Dwarven Berserker; September 22, 2012 at 02:27 PM.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    this signature is completely pointless. have a nice day

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Thank the Seven my friend bought it before I got a chance. Mafia 2 was much better than any EA game ever
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Finlander's Avatar ★Absolutely Fin-bulous★
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros Frey View Post
    Thank the Seven my friend bought it before I got a chance. Mafia 2 was much better than any EA game ever
    I'm a bit ashamed to admit this but I liked the Sims very much.

• Son of MasterBigAb; • Father of St. PolycarpeKahvipannuRadboudMhaedrosGeMiNi][SaNDy
    FlinnUndyingNephalimKAM 2150
    Charerg

Bowmaster's Avatar Biarchus

The best EA game I like is the Need For Speed: Wanted.
    (yeah, yeah, I'm fin player of TATW 3.2...

In Memoriam: Blackomur89

Save MERP and TATW!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliç Alì View Post

Now, this is an interesting point. I suppose (mr Ztree can correct me) that WB sent the Cease and Desist letter not to a team member but to the hosting site (either ModDB or Skyrim Nexus or whatever).This third subject then said to the mod members to actually shut the work down.

I wonder, if such work is actually officially shooted down (grammar?) and, let's say, a new one appears, whoose members are not US citizens, hosted here on TWC in some non-totalwar-games section (that we already have), it would be a formally new and different project, right? and if released before any letter arrives, then there would be nothing WB can do, right?
    Thank you, someone finally acknowledged my idea. I've posted this in loads of places and people seem to gloss over it. I truly believe this is their solution. Furthermore, if what you say is true, all they would have to do is stop doing their updates through, and no longer use ModDB as their hosting website. They can still carry on if it is ModDB that got the C&D and not them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowmaster View Post
    The best EA game I like is the Need For Speed: Wanted.
    qft. Me and my friends put many hours into that. Cop chase that lasts 30 minutes? HELL YEAH! To be fair there are some pretty decent EA games. NFS:MW, FIFA 12, Mass Effect, Dragon Age,...
    The problem with EA is not that they make only crap games, the problem is that they make a crap game, charge 50€ for it, change the graphics and sell it again next year, again for 50€!

Senator

they have no right to do that since its fair use

The Record of Lodoss War, The Mother of all Epic High Fantasy stories.

Dutch-Balrog's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey18 View Post
    Thank you, someone finally acknowledged my idea. I've posted this in loads of places and people seem to gloss over it. I truly believe this is their solution. Furthermore, if what you say is true, all they would have to do is stop doing their updates through, and no longer use ModDB as their hosting website. They can still carry on if it is ModDB that got the C&D and not them.
    The C&D was sended to MERP's own hosting site i think.. Dunno if changing that would make any diffrence.

but id be wrong if i hired eric cartmen to paint WB'S headquarters' walls with right?

Does anyone know if MERP will try to face them in court or have they given up altogether? I have played TATW but while it is really cool, the map, the realistic units and cities and all. I found it quite boring because I wouldn't want to play as any of the evil factions, and the you are really only on the defensive if you play as Gondor.

Elfhelm's Avatar Biarchus

To be fair and a little off topic! EA make the best and most realistic sports sims bar non although their last attempt at golf was a mess compared to 2008.

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Okay, lets not turn this into an EA discussion thread.

Senator

Fact is last good lotr game was Battle for middle earth. Ever since then the games quality has gone downhill once the movies were over. Two towers and return of the king while short games where still good. BFMEII was okay, but it had issues and was rushed. Conquest was terrible. Worst purchase mistake ever. And pretty much since then i lost all interest in the LOTR games. Third Age total war and that Skyrim mod is all i need for my LOTR fix. That is untill WB gets their finger outta their asses and produce a good quality LOTR game outside of the stupid lego LOTR or War of the north which i have no interest in buying. I want my 90+ metacritic rated LOTR game. Anything sub-par isn't worth my money or the name of the source material.

The Record of Lodoss War, The Mother of all Epic High Fantasy stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Deedlit View Post
    Fact is last good lotr game was Battle for middle earth. Ever since then the games quality has gone downhill once the movies were over. Two towers and return of the king while short games where still good. BFMEII was okay, but it had issues and was rushed. Conquest was terrible. Worst purchase mistake ever. And pretty much since then i lost all interest in the LOTR games. Third Age total war and that Skyrim mod is all i need for my LOTR fix. That is untill WB gets their finger outta their asses and produce a good quality LOTR game outside of the stupid lego LOTR or War of the north which i have no interest in buying. I want my 90+ metacritic rated LOTR game. Anything sub-par isn't worth my money or the name of the source material.
    I could not agree more. BFME I was a good game, nothing exceptional but still it was fun to play. The rest is pretty much crap. You should also check out The Last Days (a mod for Mount&Blade) if you like LotR RPGs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch-Balrog View Post
    The C&D was sended to MERP's own hosting site i think.. Dunno if changing that would make any diffrence.
    Hmm, I don't know, since the team isn't a company, wouldn't it be easy to say that the website isn't affiliated with them? Furthermore, since it's not an official website, what would be the problem with them continuing through another site? If the C&D was directed at the website it has nothing to do with the team.
    Last edited by Mackey18; September 24, 2012 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallus View Post
    You should also check out The Last Days (a mod for Mount&Blade) if you like LotR RPGs.
    Definatly the best LOTR's game apart from TATW Really hope the MERP team just plow through their work and just leak a general release, how's WB going to stop that

Does anyone know if MERP will try to face them in court or have they given up altogether?
    We don't want to face them in court, but we are still far from giving up! We want to fight on our own terms.
    I'm sorry, I didn't post an answer to your idea earlier (but I am still not 100% sure myself). It certainly seems like an interesting route to take. The C&D letter was sent to us per email to our Merp website team-leader-account. And interestingly, the first thing they asked in our communications, was for a name and adress of a team leader... it's like, give us a name of someone who we can threaten to drag into court. Needless to say we were not that stupid and haven't given any names or adresses to them. Besides, we have not real leader in our team. The "team-leaders" are just the moderators of our forums at this point. We have no strict hierarchy or decision makers.
    But like I said earlier in a post, we don't want to take unneccesary risks and just continue under a different name and then WB somehow gets our names through different means and then the first thing is: Our U.S.A based team members get into big trouble, because of the U.S. law money thing.

Personally, I am more on the stubborn side of the team and want to continue Merp in any way possible. So I have always an open ear for such ideas, like continuing under a different name.
    I have also thought of just changing the names in the mod to something "uncopyrighted" (Gondor to Southern Kingdom - Arnor to Northern Kingdom - Rohan to Horseland etc..) But a lot of other team members hate the idea.
    All it would take to get it back to LOTR would be one modder to make a sub mod and change the names back. I would bet that we would have that sub mod after a week, if not earlier.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Why not bring all the resource already available and ported it to WB soon to be release game ? Instead of modding Skyrim, mod for whatever the name of the WB game ? Everyone happy (except Skyrim owners though).

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

God no. Anything WB would come up with wouldn't be half as good as Bethesda's RPG engines. I propose going back to Oblivion instead. Older game costs less, maybe not as many interested buyers, means WB might not loose as much. It'd be worth a try, right? Especially if the other option is completely stopping the works of the mod
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.