Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Skyrim LoTR Mod (MERP) shut down by WB - does this have implications for TATW?

Default Re: Skyrim LoTR Mod (MERP) shut down by WB - does this have implications for TATW?

Quote Originally Posted by Kahvipannu View Post
    The person you referred with that comment was talking about steam games in general, so I tought you were talking too. Didn't know Skyrim needs Steam, what a shame...
    Well, we're in a thread discussing a Skyrim mod and I said "for a game like Skyrim" in the post you quoted. I don't know how I could have been clearer.

Anyway, sorry for derailing the thread.

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Skyrim LoTR Mod (MERP) shut down by WB - does this have implications for TATW?

Hm, I don't know but "MERP" meaning Middle-Earth Role Playing(game) was a registered trademark when I last checked. Granted, that was back in 1995 when I played this PnP RPG, but back then it was a registered trademark whose creators had purchased a lisence to use the LotR lore from Tolkien Enterprises (i.e. Christopher Tolkien). I could imagine that the name used for this mod in conjunction with the rights, which might have been sold to WB (those of the original MERP, dunno about that) could play some role in this

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

WB doesn't have a chance, the developers should re-model everything that remotely resembles the movies and they should be fine, I mean in WTW we are taking every measure to completely avoid everything HBO. I doubt WB could say anything if the mod has nothing to do with LOTR movies and they can rename the game Middle-World and other cosmetic BS that no one really cares about but....

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Kahvipannu View Post
    New Mortal Kombat and Batmans are awesome... But they really don't make games, just publish them, atleast I pressume so. Was Witcher 2 also published by them?
    In NA and AU. In EU Namco Bandai.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

The problem is that every single thing that was seen in the movies have been made to look like in the movies Even swords, like Sting or just random ones are exact copies of movie stuff
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

How long does Warner Bros. have the IP for Lord of The Rings? I don't really know subjects concerning Intellectual Property but surely it must expire for them eventually.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

I think the usual exparation date is ten years after they got it, but I'm not completely sure how it is in the US
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Quote Originally Posted by Aikanár View Post
    ... "MERP" meaning Middle-Earth Role Playing(game) ...
    I could imagine that the name used for this mod in conjunction with the rights, which might have been sold to WB (those of the original MERP, dunno about that) could play some role in this
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros View Post
    The problem is that every single thing that was seen in the movies have been made to look like in the movies Even swords, like Sting or just random ones are exact copies of movie stuff
    So if they change the title to something that does not fall under WB's control and rebuild things so that they don't look like the movies then maybe they would be free to carry on.

No small task but I would like the mod much more if it didn't look like the movies anyway.

Or is it even more than that? e.g. Do WB have rights to all LOTR names: characters, places, creatures, items, etc.

The petition is important and I have signed it but I can't help but feel that it won't move WB to abandon perceived profits. If they're going to truly throw their weight behind the enforcement of their rights (beyond this warning shot) then perhaps MERP could still live, so long as it doesn't encroach on the bounds of those rights.

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

The word is spreading, ladies and gentlemen.

PCGamer has an article on the situation now.

All people who wish to show their support could also do so on http://www.warnerbros.com/ in Customer Service area and leave comments on their facebook page www.facebook.com/warnerbrosent

And don't forget to sign the petition if you haven't done so yet!
    http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...ate-greed.html

"The MERP team => go to russia there is no WB or copyright))))"

I love Third Age and Skyrim ...
    The potential for MERP, spectacular ...
    There is always another way ...
    Team of MERP not give up.

Kahvipannu's Avatar Bring me Solo & wookie

Thanks for the link Beregond.

So removing copyrighted names, any colleration to book storylines, and making the game private, and it is non-comercial project, wouldn't even change WB's mind huh? If WB can pull that off, that is ridiculous...

As some people stated in the other forums. The popularity this mod is gaining now wont help MERP at all, sad to say.
    WB will be even more determined to protect their IP from the possible money loss this mod will cause if left alone. Which is BS.

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

well, I believe it's better than doing nothing. At least this way MERP has a chance. It could be like with the Retake Mass Effect movement, while it didn't actually achieve its goals, at least some concessions were made. While this campaign isn't nearly as popular as the uproar over ME3 endings (at least yet), it could also help the mod in question.

Kahvipannu's Avatar Bring me Solo & wookie

And I think this situation could affect modding-scene in general, in a good way or bad way... Specially if this goes to court, but as the devs stated, thankfully they won't go that far.

Bowmaster's Avatar Biarchus

Signed the petition. Really, all of you, if you have not done it yet, do it in three. Two. One. NOW!
    (yeah, yeah, I'm fin player of TATW 3.2...

In Memoriam: Blackomur89

Save MERP and TATW!

Vifarc's Avatar Senator

In the market, the best petition is your sign on the paycheck.
    That's why I don't buy Steam games. PC gamers gave their power and freedom to Steam, not me; Microsoft is already enough...
    > > Divide&Conquer submod user, playing RealmOfLothlőrien (ThirdAge mod). < <
    My small products here.

Gimli's Avatar Primicerius

Don't relate the mod to LOTR then if you are going to remake the game not using the basic design layout and have an idea of how to make the armor and swords ect..

Dutch-Balrog's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Gimli10 View Post
    Don't relate the mod to LOTR then if you are going to remake the game not using the basic design layout and have an idea of how to make the armor and swords ect..
    Not easy you know.. Basing a ME mod in the LotR time on something else then LotR.

Anyways, more then 5000 people have signed already and it's still accelerating.
    There is still hope.

It was posted on a Gamers site i follow and multiple people have signed it.

Taran.'s Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by jossilva View Post
    "The MERP team => go to russia there is no WB or copyright))))"

I love Third Age and Skyrim ...
    The potential for MERP, spectacular ...
    There is always another way ...
    Team of MERP not give up.
    Well, Russia does have copyright laws, it is just that those aren't enforced (especially not when its a foreign copyright). Typical. Unless you bribe the judge of course
    Last edited by Taran.; September 07, 2012 at 02:46 PM.

Выше, выше
    К белым облакам!
    Выше, выше
    К белым облакам!
    Качели тут, Качели там.
    Качели тут, Качели там!
    Ты летишь, легка,
    Со мной всё выше в облака!